• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Yeah the last 30 points in A+ is painful, since after A+ 70 the basic ups and downs are +8/-12, being in an S/A+/A room wont help, A+/A/A- room is even worse.

It's total crap. I have 12 points to grind out to get back to S rank and I'm sure that it will take me the majority of the afternoon with Nintendo's matchmaking gauntlet.

ChrisD

Tower Control with Luna Blaster or Rainmaker with Blaster/Heavy Splatling seems to be the easiest ways out of A+. Just have to get lucky enough to land on the good side of the fence a time or two.

Anyone played around with the mini splatling? What is your opinion on it?

For better or worse this is the first time I've ever used any splatling, so I don't know how good it is in comparison to the heavy splatling. I went with a high charge up kit to get inkzooka faster, but then I switched to a high run speed kit later since I could easily charge inkzooka anyway. I can't say I did excellent last night, but I did have a lot of fun.

I kill way faster with a mini splatling than with a tentatek and the range is better. The spinup time is short but I don't need a full charge to kill right?

Edit: in case anyone wanted to know, my kit last night had 3 main run speeds and 4 sub run speeds.

Luigi87

Finally reach S rank!!!! :D :D :D
COJtMMzUAAAbqHH.jpg:large

Grats!

Robotguy

Anyone played around with the mini splatling? What is your opinion on it?

For better or worse this is the first time I've ever used any splatling, so I don't know how good it is in comparison to the heavy splatling. I went with a high charge up kit to get inkzooka faster, but then I switched to a high run speed kit later since I could easily charge inkzooka anyway. I can't say I did excellent last night, but I did have a lot of fun.

I kill way faster with a mini splatling than with a tentatek and the range is better. The spinup time is short but I don't need a full charge to kill right?
Yeah, you don't need a full charge to kill from what I've seen. But you're going to want accurate aim if do partial charges cause you can afford fewer missed shots with partial charges.
Edit: in case anyone wanted to know, my kit last night had 3 main run speeds and 4 sub run speeds.
Geg is disgusted, lol.

Luigi87

Ugh, when you lose to an enemy team who has Luna Blaster x3, all because the person on your team who picked up the Rainmaker at the start held onto it for over a minute, never advancing past 94 distance -_-

Made it back to A+99 by winning two matches in a row (which only gave me 6 points a piece for... reasons) and the proceed to lose 3 straight (one for -14) to fall back to A+65. The last match had me against a team with two S rank players who moved the tower by alternating krakens. Really, really tired of this shit now.

Made it back to A+99 by winning two matches in a row (which only gave me 6 points a piece for... reasons) and the proceed to lose 3 straight (one for -14) to fall back to A+65. The last match had me against a team with two S rank players who moved the tower by alternating krakens. Really, really tired of this shit now.

Yeah that has been me for 2 weeks, until I finally beat the odds today. I'm sure we get grouped with S players just as many times, you get them as enemies, but it sure as hell felt like I was against an army of S players on my way to S rank itself.

In a way I'm glad I actually beat the shit out an S team to get to S, instead of stealing candy from A teams...

Yeah that has been me for 2 weeks, until I finally beat the odds today. I'm sure we get grouped with S players just as many times, you get them as enemies, but it sure as hell felt like I was against an army of S players on my way to S rank itself.

In a way I'm glad I actually beat the shit out an S team to get to S, instead of stealing candy from A teams...

I went 18/9 against that 2S team. That's a lot of deaths but we still wouldn't have lost if not for the kraken cheese. I'm still not even sure how they were charging them so fast and in such coordination because I didn't see any special charge ups on them.

I joined a random ranked lobby and it was all A+... nearly fainted. So Nintendo does know how to do this after all.
Ugh, Kraken is freaking broken on TC.
They just need to update the code so that the tower stops as long as a kraken is sitting on it. I don't think they realized how difficult it is to knock the kraken off with that pole in the middle of the tower that they can use to brace.

Has the tower always been extra tall on Flounder or is that new?

RedFyn

I don't think it should stop when the krakens on it but I think they should increase the knock back.

Yes the towers always been tall

ChrisD

I joined a random ranked lobby and it was all A+... nearly fainted. So Nintendo does know how to do this after all.

They just need to update the code so that the tower stops as long as a kraken is sitting on it. I don't think they realized how difficult it is to knock the kraken off with that pole in the middle of the tower that they can use to brace.

Has the tower always been extra tall on Flounder or is that new?

I just got out of a lobby that contained a B, A, three A+, two S, and one S+. Right before that, all A+. Flounder Heights must be on the balancing job. :p

I don't see how that would ruin anything. It can even stay moving if there's a second person on it, idc. One invincible guy who can't be knocked off is what's not cool.

Don't think it's changed?

I don't think it should stop when the krakens on it but I think they should increase the knock back.

Yes the towers always been tall

You think that it should be increased only in TC or across all modes? I already feel like it's been nerfed too much in turf war and splat zones but it feels game breaking in the other two modes. It really depends on the map but there's a couple like Port and Skatepark where two or three coordinated krakens can pretty much control the match. Any map where the tower or path to the pedestal doesn't go over water really.

I never noticed that the tower was taller on Flounder before... weird.

Edit: Holy shit, splash walls can't stop the tower on Flounder. Are you guys sure this isn't new? Someone on the other team threw one out to try to stop us from winning and we just rode right over it.

ryechu

You think that it should be increased only in TC or across all modes? I already feel like it's been nerfed too much in turf war and splat zones but it feels game breaking in the other two modes. It really depends on the map but there's a couple like Port and Skatepark where two or three coordinated krakens can pretty much control the match. Any map where the tower or path to the pedestal doesn't go over water really.

Edit: Holy shit, splash walls can't stop the tower on Flounder. Are you guys sure this isn't new? Someone on the other team threw one out to try to stop us from winning and we just rode right over it.

kraken's fine on tower control.

Robotguy

Yeah, I just noticed the Flounder splash wall thing.

TM25

Neo Member

Tower height differs per map maybe that's what is messing you up. Based on Sendou's stream it looks normal.

EDIT: I could be wrong I never played the map day 1.

Geg

Does splash wall actually physically stop the tower? I always figured it only stopped because it forced people off of it. I'm pretty sure there was one time I was playing it on blackbelly where I jumped over a splash wall and kept the tower moving

Does splash wall actually physically stop the tower? I always figured it only stopped because it forced people off of it. I'm pretty sure there was one time I was playing it on blackbelly where I jumped over a splash wall and kept the tower moving

It used to be high enough so you were forced to either get off or jump over like you said. Saying that it stops the tower was kind of phrasing it wrong, on Flounder though this is no longer a thing because the tower is so tall that it rides over it. I'm positive that this is new because I remember getting caught at the starting choke point countless times with splash wall spam >_<

WVW69iW6hAgxnC_QEy_zpsbzfy4zo2.jpg

Finally back, let's see how long my stay is this time -_-

ChrisD

It used to be high enough so you were forced to either get off or jump over like you said. Saying that it stops the tower was kind of phrasing it wrong, on Flounder though this is no longer a thing because the tower is so tall that it rides over it. I'm positive that this is new because I remember getting caught at the starting choke point countless times with splash wall spam >_<

WVW69iW6hAgxnC_QEy_zpsbzfy4zo2.jpg

Finally back, let's see how long my stay is this time -_-

We both on this S/A coaster bro. Let's see how long we can hold onto a silly letter this time!

We both on this S/A coaster bro. Let's see how long we can hold onto a silly letter this time!

I'm going to have to switch to a new weapon if this tower thing spreads to the other maps, running up with luna blaster and splatting everyone on the tower is harder now with a taller tower. It looks like carbon roller and brushes are having a tougher time too but of course dynamos are completely unfazed -_-
Tower height differs per map maybe that's what is messing you up. Based on Sendou's stream it looks normal.

EDIT: I could be wrong I never played the map day 1.
it looks normal on Kelp but as soon as I ran up to it on Flounder today I was like "WTH???" I played a lot of TC on Flounder (;_;) so I'll feel really crazy if this isn't something from the last patch.

DaBoss

Muh boi Spyke doesn't seem to like to give me Squid Girl Tunic's with full Damage Up.

At least he gave me this.
tumblr_nu81p9heSY1ux7li8o1_1280.jpg

Replacing the one I had with 2 Ink Recovery Up subs and 1 Ink Saver (Main).

Zing

Banned
it looks normal on Kelp but as soon as I ran up to it on Flounder today I was like "WTH???" I played a lot of TC on Flounder (;_;) so I'll feel really crazy if this isn't something from the last patch.
It has been that way on Flounder since day one.

I don't see any reason to use Luna Blaster on Flounder. Range Blaster is better here just as with Moray. You can jump and shoot all the way to the top of the building with it on Flounder. Eliter and Dynamo beware!

WALKMAN04

We already do short hopping, why not? Just wait until someone discovers squid-dashing!!
I squid dash all the time with burst bombs, very easy to swim back and forth through enemy ink while placing the burst bombs on the floor. Also extremely helpful when dodging an enemy sniper or going from side to side on the tower, I can get like an extra 5-10 points on the counter for squid-dashing

It has been that way on Flounder since day one.

I don't see any reason to use Luna Blaster on Flounder. Range Blaster is better here just as with Moray. You can jump and shoot all the way to the top of the building with it on Flounder. Eliter and Dynamo beware!

Not sure how I couldn't have noticed that before then and I don't remember being able to coast over splash walls either but if you say so I believe you. I tend to be wrong more than right about these things anyway :lol

I prefer to keep things up close and personal in TC. E-liters and other chargers never really bother me because they tend to stay so far back they can't really do much to push the tower like I can.

StAidan

Thanks Greg for the twin squad, had a lot of fun and we did spend most of the time winning, so there's that :)

Also, I played one solo round when we disbanded - Saltspray when Splat Zones rotated in - and managed to get a knockout victory, propelling me to rank S!

Also captured the whole experience of the past 2 hours on my twitch stream, so my run-up to S can now be immortalized when I get around to doing highlights.

Ahnez

I squid dash all the time with burst bombs, very easy to swim back and forth through enemy ink while placing the burst bombs on the floor. Also extremely helpful when dodging an enemy sniper or going from side to side on the tower, I can get like an extra 5-10 points on the counter for squid-dashing

Same LOL

Thats why burst bombs are the best

Thanks Greg for the twin squad, had a lot of fun and we did spend most of the time winning, so there's that :)

Also, I played one solo round when we disbanded - Saltspray when Splat Zones rotated in - and managed to get a knockout victory, propelling me to rank S!

Also captured the whole experience of the past 2 hours on my twitch stream, so my run-up to S can now be immortalized when I get around to doing highlights.

Congrats Aiden! Those were fun matches, even the few that we lost. I'd love to see those vids so post links when you get them together :D

I don't think I'll ever make it to S+. I was rocking and rolling today and went from S 45 to S 87 but when I win I only get 3 or 4 points and in getting -6 or -7 for each loss.

For folks talking about, the mixed A/A-/S matches vs only playing with your ranks, I've found that I actually do worse against the A and A- players at this point. I think it's because they're less predictable.

Here are 2 highlights I made real quick, the first is our very first round where we both cleaned up pretty good, the second is my S-rank battle.

http://www.twitch.tv/staidangaf/v/14627312

http://www.twitch.tv/staidangaf/v/14628449

Oh, I remember that match well. It could have been a knockout but I kept making dumb mistakes and letting them flank us. Still a good win though :D

Your rank up match was awesome, I loved how you rushed down the other team on their side at the beginning.

Top Bottom