• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

69wpm

I'm crying tears of joy right now.

WVW69iXCuA4okhbJ1l

I want a "I'm sorry!!!". Would use that every match.

I remember yesterday when I was A+ 92, my team were knockout in less than a minute. Because at the beginning I try to go to the right site of the map, but I went too fast that I was pushed into the water by the dropping flood gate.

DaBoss

Congrats, 69wpm.

I think I ordered that helmet from Oryon, so a big thanks to him for that.
Inking pathways announces itself not just on the gamepad map, but on the big screen too. It's not exactly subtle. Splatoon's maps are very linear for a shooter, with flanking opportunities only really available at designated spots. Flanking someone through enemy territory, with hopes of catching them unawares, relies more on their own tunnel vision than the sneakiness of the part of the player. Splatoon is a game about overt territory control, with a plainly visible front. You can try to grab a flank from enemy territory, but you're not exactly a thief in the night while doing so. Any territory gained is plain for all the world to see, either on the gamepad map or by the very color of the ground. So the notion that the game will break if the enemy sees you gaining territory in a game that is all about highly visualized territory control is laughable.
i used to think that a mini-map on screen at all times showing the same info as the gamepad map wold be good, but then I actually thought about it and realized it would just make the game ridiculously easy and wouldn't reward players for their spatial awareness, but rather their ability to look at the mini-map.

The visualized territory is only visible on screen for the enemy if they see it on their screen. Sure it isn't the flanker's sneakiness giving them flanking opportunities, but the enemy could have stopped the flanker if they had good awareness.

I know half the time in non-HC modes in CoD, most players just stare at the mini-map in hopes of seeing a red dot from an enemy shooting, so it would be like that, but even easier.

Splatoon would work with a mini-map that either doesn't update in real-time or straight up doesn't display any ink on it, but definitely not the info shown on the gamepad.

Zing

Banned
"I hope no one is looking at the map right now, because I need to create a path by flinging a flurry of hot pink ink through the air, stealthily."

I feel this aspect is precisely what keeps chargers in check. Even at S/S+ rank, I am often able to pounce on a perched charger.

I feel like having ninja squid and ink resistance is so essential for me. What about you guys?
For me, Ink Resistance is mandtory for Inkbrush, due to it's narrow ink path. Often, I will find myself touching enemy ink when turning corners despite having my brush down. I currently also use it with Blasters, as they absolutely rely on manueverability to keep opponents at distance. It is also mildly helpful in ranked Rainmaker.

Ninja Squid, however, is not very useful. If you need to sneak, you can simply swim more slowly (ink ripples only created when moving at high speed). I do, however, enjoy using it with the Inkbrushes, since they are inherently stealth based, and also swim speed means nothing to them, as inking is a far faster and safer means of escape.

TM25

Neo Member
Do any of the people I played with last night have any tips or criticisms? I know I make stupid plays.

Not fully comfortable going head to head with people or 1 on 1.

Zing

Banned
I wonder if any consideration was given to having a separate rank for squads. When I see an S in ranked, I am fairly confident of their ability. An S in squads is not as accurate of an indicator due to being carried, or just barely reaching rank S then never playing ranked again. I have seen quite a few S players in squads that appear to be out of their league.

Capra

I like using Ninja Squid in conjunction with the Octobrush whenever I need to go on the offensive. Rush to one side, pop out, swipe, squid back in and rush to another side, pop out, swipe some more, SPLAT. It's hilarious.

Any Luna Blaster mains? What abilities do you use and why? Any general tips you would like to give?
Damn, am I the only one? ;_;

Swim speed ups and walk speed ups because you'll need to rush and retreat a lot. Treat it like a brush that you don't have to spam and master jump shots. Pretty straight forward weapon, learning to pick your battles is the hardest adjustment. The element of surprise is crucial so learn it's range asap. Try to wait until enemies are grouped together for maximum carnage.

Sendou

Damn, am I the only one? ;_;

Swim speed ups and walk speed ups because you'll need to rush and retreat a lot. Treat it like a brush that you don't have to spam and master jump shots. Pretty straight forward weapon, learning to pick your battles is the hardest adjustment. The element of surprise is crucial so learn it's range asap. Try to wait until enemies are grouped together for maximum carnage.

I'm having success with straight forward def up, dmg up and stealth jump build.

Never retreating.

WALKMAN04

Inking pathways announces itself not just on the gamepad map, but on the big screen too. It's not exactly subtle. Splatoon's maps are very linear for a shooter, with flanking opportunities only really available at designated spots. Flanking someone through enemy territory, with hopes of catching them unawares, relies more on their own tunnel vision than the sneakiness of the part of the player. Splatoon is a game about overt territory control, with a plainly visible front. You can try to grab a flank from enemy territory, but you're not exactly a thief in the night while doing so. Any territory gained is plain for all the world to see, either on the gamepad map or by the very color of the ground. So the notion that the game will break if the enemy sees you gaining territory in a game that is all about highly visualized territory control is laughable.
I personally wouldn't like a map on screen at all, it would ruin a lot of flanks for myself and others. A lot of my flanks would be ruined if people had a color coded map on their screen telling them what direction I'm coming from, they could be looking down at the gamepad, but nobody does that, they could spot me while I'm painting but 50% of the time I can get where I want without being detected,
the other 50% of the time I get detected but get where I want anyway because I'm a boss
. You may be right that the developers just threw the map on the gamepad just to have something on it, but I like what they created, makes the game more tense, you actually have to watch your back instead of watching a screen tell you that someone is behind you. I personally do hope the next splatoon allows me to play with a gamepad and my map there even if it puts me at a disadvantage I like the way it is now. If you think that it wouldn't break the game then we just don't agree and that's cool.
I feel like having ninja squid and ink resistance is so essential for me. What about you guys?
I do use ninja squid sometimes, it's a cool thing to have from time to time, for ink resistance though I have always hated it, even near the games launch when everybody thought it was the best ability. I believed then and still believe now that if I was in enemy ink I would have died regardless of the ability or not, I would say it probably would only help in like 2% of my deaths, stealth jump has always been my favorite shoe exclusive ability, comes in handy way more to me. I only use ink resistance when I'm messing around with the inkbrush, because it's rolling mode makes a pretty narrow line

Totakeke

Rainmaker wouldn't be anywhere as interesting if you had the minimap on screen. That mode basically proves that having awareness of the enemy location and possible routes at all times is not that easy.

I'm having success with straight forward def up, dmg up and stealth jump build.

Never retreating.

Which mode though? I use stealth jump for ranked but not for TW but that's for all weapons, not just luna. I find the mobility is really helpful for flanking enemies but everyone plays differently. If you're finding yourself never having to retreat then you're just better than I am I guess.

TM25

Neo Member
I thought lag was always lesser in ranked bar the odd hiccup. I just had a match that despite no defence on them and shooting them in the back it required 3 hits from an attack boosted 52 Deco to splat. This game is so good but also infuriating.

I did have a hilarious match where we won in a minute or so, I jumped over the killer wail and just walked into their base unopposed.

Sendou

Which mode though? I use stealth jump for ranked but not for TW but that's for all weapons, not just luna. I find the mobility is really helpful for flanking enemies but everyone plays differently. If you're finding yourself never having to retreat then you're just better than I am I guess.

I just learned to live with dying. Also I notice that being a charger main is really helpful going to blaster.

I just learned to live with dying. Also I notice that being a charger main is really helpful going to blaster.

I used just live with the trades, especially if I get a 2 or 3 for 1, but playing in ranked more I'm starting to realize that picking off whatever enemies I can in one shot and disappearing is a lot more effective and distracting for the other team. I'll still go after 1 for 1 kills if I can take out an e-liter or scope charger but other than that I'm playing a lot more defensively now. People have a habit of chasing Luna Blasters so you can really use that to your advantage and set traps.

Luna isn't a great painting weapon but it is really good for reclaiming small areas at a time in ranked modes, it's pretty much my favorite TC and RM weapon because of the versatility it has for going from defense to offense pretty quickly. In SZ it's a lot more map dependent if I'll use it or not.

I really wish the charger/blaster switch worked the other way though, being good with blasters hasn't helped me learn charger at all :'(

Marathon my way out of A- hell again back to A 50. Will wait for the next rain maker rotation lol.

Well prepare yourself mentally now for the fresh hell that will be A+. I can't tell you how many times I had to just calmly put down my controller and count backwards so I didn't end up like the guy in the Twitter post above :{

The last two times I gave up and just rolled with a good GAF squad to A+99 to save my sanity.

ffdgh

Well prepare yourself mentally now for the fresh hell that will be A+. I can't tell you how many times I had to just calmly put down my controller and count backwards so I didn't end up like the guy in the Twitter post above :{

The last two times I gave up and just rolled with a good GAF squad to A+99 to save my sanity.

Oh don't worry. I'll swallow my pride and will squad my way to victory before I let my self go below A again >_>.

Wait what guy from twi....

...A GAF thread became real. I get mad but not 75(or more?) bucks mad lol

Ahnez

I feel like I should just give up trying to get to S by myself.

I'm B+, but the game put me against A+ and S players, wat?

S is four ranks above mine. What the fuck

I got up to 85, but then down to 36 again..

Well, At least I get money from it lol

Just six more weapons to go

WVW69iXF_NYL_Dqc82

I come here a lot to complain :p

ChrisD

I'm crying tears of joy right now.

WVW69iXCuA4okhbJ1l

And in Splat Zones, no less. Congratulations. ^^

I wonder if any consideration was given to having a separate rank for squads. When I see an S in ranked, I am fairly confident of their ability. An S in squads is not as accurate of an indicator due to being carried, or just barely reaching rank S then never playing ranked again. I have seen quite a few S players in squads that appear to be out of their league.

I've been in S rank four times now. I think I can say I'm not in this equation, even if it does effect my sanity. ;-;
But as people have said before, it's more or less fine. If things are being matchmade properly, a full S squad should face a full S squad. At that point it's properly balanced.

A thought on minimap discussion; what if enemy ink only showed up on the map if you saw it? And to make things further, it was a personal map, not shared. So do you run the map to get intel on where enemy paths are, checking every dangerous hallway, or do you try and stay in the center? In a competitive setting, maybe you just want one guy running to the front lines to convey where people are coming, and the rest of you establish your own base.

ffdgh

I got up to 85, but then down to 36 again..

Well, At least I get money from it lol

Just six more weapons to go

WVW69iXF_NYL_Dqc82

If the room is mixed with lower/higher ranks, I bail out just to be safe...because the matchmaking WILL put me with the lower ranks vs the higher ranks >_>.

8 Weapons for me...for 100300. Good thing I have everything I want already lol.

Zing

Banned

The letter in your rank doesn't increase your skill in any way. If your ultimate potential is to be rank S, then it will happen due to the law of large numbers.

If "by myself" means you are considering quickly squadding to A+, then you will simply be a B+ player playing against even tougher teams. A squad of S is immensely more skilled in practice than normal ranked.

Ahnez

If the room is mixed with lower/higher ranks, I bail out just to be safe...because the matchmaking WILL put me with the lower ranks vs the higher ranks >_>.

8 Weapons for me...for 100300. Good thing I have everything I want already lol.

Yeah.. I usually leave the room if the ranks are too unbalanced..

I actually don't care about playing against A or higher ranks, they are not that different from players closer to my rank, the problem is that usually my teammates get crushed by them

edit
The letter in your rank doesn't increase your skill in any way. If your ultimate potential is to be rank S, then it will happen due to the law of large numbers.

If "by myself" means you are considering quickly squadding to A+, then you will simply be a B+ player playing against even tougher teams. A squad of S is immensely more skilled in practice than normal ranked.
I'm used to play against A/A+ players, its not much harder than playing against B+/A- , the problem is the random teams

With "by myself", I meant by carrying my team when necessary, but it is getting progressively harder to do so

And yes, squads are much more skilled than in random. But that certainly makes each game more interesting

ChrisD

The one and only time I like mixed lobbies is when you're having an off day, and your S+ literally hard carries the whole team. Like he could fight the world and win. Conversely, that's the most annoying team to lose against heh.

Xenoboy

I keep getting these stupid connection lost during games and it's pissing me off.

Join gaf in our games. We'll lift you up.

I have squad up. Players needed.

Sorry for not responding earlier. I was a bit busy. Maybe some other day, although I would need your NNID to do it, I think.

Geg

lol playing MGSV yesterday, Quiet sniped an enemy behind me who had spotted me and I legit tried to push down on the control pad to booyah her

Top Bottom