• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

noshten

Feels like I've been stuck in S for a mighty long time, I need to go mega try hard mode on my favorite maps/modes to make it out. I will be out for ink tomorrow - no more elitering just straight up rolling the competition.

.. so is this a thing now? several times now, i've had 3 players on my team group together spamming NICE NICE NICE for the duration of the match, doing shit all else...

... i don't get it?

Are you playing in Turf War or Ranked? I have seen that situation in TW - not very often in Ranked. Although there can be some salty individuals who spam a few voice commands when things aren't going their way(I'm one of those people). Splatoon brings out the salt in me.

pitt_norton

.. so is this a thing now? several times now, i've had 3 players on my team group together spamming NICE NICE NICE for the duration of the match, doing shit all else...

... i don't get it?

Back to S Rank. Why is there a sudden nightmarish onslaught of rollers tonight??

I mean more than usual?

... i don't get it?

Yoiu got griefed, my good sir! Block them and carry on with things.

PBalfredo

I wish there was an option to just put the map on the main screen like a proper mini-map. Showing the inked territory makes glancing at the map instantly readable, but that advantage is diminished by having to take my eyes off the action to look down at the gamepad. And motion controls means I can't really hold up the pad so it's in my peripheral vision, either.

pitt_norton

Are you playing in Turf War or Ranked? I have seen that situation in TW - not very often in Ranked. Although there can be some salty individuals who spam a few voice commands when things aren't going their way(I'm one of those people). Splatoon brings out the salt in me.

It was during TW... I myself, use the command to compliment a nice moment of tactical splattering or scold others for not thinking about their play e.g heading back to cover an inkstrike.

You got griefed, my good sir! Block them and carry on with things.

... griefed eh? what are the psychological symptoms of this behaviour? when i saw it happening again- grouping and spamming NICE NICE , i said fuck them and stayed idle at my spawn point. then one of them had the nerve to shoot at me insisting that i play CMON CMON... like what???

Luigi87

Losing to a team with three chargers and one Luna Blaster on Moray Towers... At first I can't even, then I see my team had a DC...

Edit: When your team stops the Rainmaker at 2, and you pick it up and take it all the way for victory =D

Also being able to climb a wall to skip from 80 to 40 in Moray Towers is kind of ridiculous.

Edit 2: A- 99/100, gimme a break game D=

Edit 3: A Rank! woo!

Blues1990

I want to play some ranked rainmaker with you guys, so is anyone up to join me?

I've created the squad. My Nintendo ID is ChickenPotPie23, so if anyone wants to join me, let me know.

I wish there was an option to just put the map on the main screen like a proper mini-map. Showing the inked territory makes glancing at the map instantly readable, but that advantage is diminished by having to take my eyes off the action to look down at the gamepad. And motion controls means I can't really hold up the pad so it's in my peripheral vision, either.
That's the entire point though. There's supposed to be a trade-off.

So guys, my current plan for mini splatling on arowana mall is to just farm meter until I charge inkzooka, then charge up the hill and inkzooka from there.

Surely there's something better I should be doing?

ChrisD

omg
It was 4S against 3S/1A. We got the A. Everything was fine until we inked the side wall and held it down for the Rainmaker. Turns out, he was the A. He inked the main wall instead and tried to climb it. They were all there to ambush him. All three of us were calling C'mon, but this one player is the only one in the round who didn't know what to do. -_-

ChrisD

I would like the map on the screen as well, but it's a minority opinion. It would still require map awareness.

It's actually kind of cool when you think you did badly on your team and dragged them down, only to find you had a Blaster go 0/13 on Port Mackerel. You don't feel bad about anything anymore.

Pikma

Banned
Is it? This ain't Zombii U. This seems more like a "we gotta do something with this gamepad, guys" situation than some sort of risk-"reward" based on user-unfriendliness.
"Oh look someone's inking a path behind me, I'll just turn around and kill him"

Yeah sure sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Is it? This ain't Zombii U. This seems more like a "we gotta do something with this gamepad, guys" situation than some sort of risk-"reward" based on user-unfriendliness.

Having the map on the screen would be a huge advantage to the point of breaking the game. You would see where the enemies are, you'd see where they're trying to approach from, and where they are covering territory. And they'd see you as well.

No multiplayer shooter has a map on the screen at all times for precisely this reason. The point of having the map on a separate screen is it forces you to take your eyes off the action. Your complaint is on par with "I don't like dying when I get shot".

ChrisD

If everyone knew what was going down I would think stealthy play would be more encouraged. It would basically be a game of cover, make use of cover.

idk, it may just break the game, but I always wonder what it would be like with an on-screen map.

ffdgh

If everyone knew what was going down I would think stealthy play would be more encouraged. It would basically be a game of cover, make use of cover.

idk, it may just break the game, but I always wonder what it would be like with an on-screen map.

Chargers become more or less godly.

PBalfredo

Having the map on the screen would be a huge advantage to the point of breaking the game. You would see where the enemies are, you'd see where they're trying to approach from, and where they are covering territory. And they'd see you as well.

No multiplayer shooter has a map on the screen at all times for precisely this reason. The point of having the map on a separate screen is it forces you to take your eyes off the action. Your complaint is on par with "I don't like dying when I get shot".

Ukf84c4.jpg

4In7sTR.jpg

1Scrf0o.jpg

UUNi1gF.jpg

I think it'll be fine.

Luigi87

I think a fair compromise would be the current map on the Gamepad screen, and a radar on the TV screen, that only shows exposed Inklings (and no ink coverage).

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah a map/radar on screen would break half the game. Like, gg rollers. I'll see them from so far away unless they don't show them in the ink.

PBalfredo

The full map.

ZxGyRBk.jpg

Prq6uOb.png

More to the point, the developers have already decided what information they will surface to the player. It's all freely available to the player at any time. No one gives the player that much information in fervent hope they don't actually utilize the information least it breaks the game.

Pikma

Banned
Stop bitching about the map, it's not like you're the only who can't see it while looking at the screen at the same time. The way it works is part of the game mechanics and it's design, if you don't like it then that's a complete different thing but don't pretend that adding it wouldn't change how the game works. And if you don't like how the game works or can't understand it, well, I don't know what else to say.

If Splatoon's sequel won't have any type of second screen support like the gamepad, (which they better have motion controls in it still), I can see them supplementing it by having a small mini-map/ sonar style radar on the screen at all times, and then having screens around the map showing the full view like how Flounder Heights does it.

PBalfredo

I think you're all mistaking the kind of stealth and positioning Splatoon values. This is a game that takes place in small arenas and loves throwing players into hotly contested closed quarters. Compared to pretty much every other shooter, Splatoon is very open and visible. You can see the positions of dudes when they're running and gunning very easily. Yeah you could see the general position of inklings based on the territory they are covering. No different from enemies pinging the map when they fire in other shooters. Only now they're also shooting with vibrant ink globlettes visible across the map. But they don't give themselves away when they are swimming in ink. That's the stealth that Splatoon values. Yeah if you're shadowing someone with the roller, hoping to catch up and run him over like a newbie you'll stand out. Hiding in the ink and splating those who are unsuspecting with a roller swipe, however, is the way to do it.

Pikma

Banned
I think you're all mistaking the kind of stealth and position Splatoon values. This is a game that takes place in small arenas and loves throwing players into hotly contested closed quarters. Compared to pretty much every other shooter, Splatoon is very open and visible. You can see the positions of dudes when they're running and gunning very easily. Yeah you could see the general position of inklings based on the territory they are covering. No different from enemies pinging the map when they fire in other shooters. But they don't give themselves away when they are swimming in ink. That's the stealth that Splatoon values. Yeah if you're shadowing someone with the roller, hoping to catch up and run him over like a newbie you'll stand out. Hiding in the ink and splating those who are unsuspecting with a roller swipe, however, is the way to do it.

well I think you're mistaking the kind of stealth and position Splatoon values, because, especially in Ranked modes, flanking is a really important part of it, and it's impossible to flank someone while hiding in ink without, you know, inking a path first, and that's where your suggestion would break the game.

McNum

This may be a bit of a newbie glee, but I finished my hunt early. Was lucky to run into someone wearing the hat yesterday, so... Spyke? One Squid Girl hat, please!

And now I got a full set.
WVW69iXAXWwL6PKzGE

And so it was ordered, and so it was worn. I wanted to wait until I was on a light blue ink team, but it didn't happen... Splatoon needs a photo mode for your Inkling.

Actually, the ability rolls on this have been... interesting. The shoes are generically fast, the shirt makes me get up quicker and the hat allows me to find the prime real estate for a Sprinkler first. So much decorative geometry accepts a Sprinkler... I NEED to get to the center of Urchin Underpass fast enough to have a second to plant one under the billboard in the sky there. Freebie tip for any other Sprinkler fans here. I would love another +Defense roll, though. I don't fight all that much, I paint. Some Inklings disagree with that. I also got those headphones with +Def on them, so if the hat doesn't work out, well, I can use those.

More Defense is good. Even if I took an Inkstrike to the face last game. Well, the edge of one. Didn't think my Inkling would survive that... And got a Sprinkler kill, somehow. That thing is harmless, it does like 30 damage. How do you die to a Sprinkler?

Of course, now that I found all three parts of the set, my next match was with another full Squid Girl set on my team... and one on the other team. Could have used those in my lobby sooner.

As an aside, if you ask Spyke to reroll, is that one slot, or ALL the slots he rerolls? Just in case I need to reroll the hat.

PBalfredo

well I think you're mistaking the kind of stealth and position Splatoon values, because, especially in Ranked modes, flanking is a really important part of it, and it's impossible to flank someone while hiding in ink without, you know, inking a path first, and that's where your suggestion would break the game.

"I hope no one is looking at the map right now, because I need to create a path by flinging a flurry of hot pink ink through the air, stealthily."

McNum

Spyke is greedy so it's always 3 slots sadly.
Well, he's not getting to touch those shoes, then. The Squid Girl brand is totally random, as far as I know, so Swim/Run/Run/Respawn will stay as is. I swim faster, I run faster, I respawn faster. Generically fast shoes. Even when dead. Kind of worried about the tunic, though. Damage/Respawn/Respawn/???. I mean, since my thing is to have a Sprinkler active at all times in Turf War, fast respawn helps, but I could really use some Ink Saver, too... Sprinklers are expensive.

Still, I think those shoes are here to stay, no matter what. Can't hate on speed shoes.

Pikma

Banned
"I hope no one is looking at the map right now, because I need to create a path by flinging a flurry of hot pink ink through the air, stealthily."
:lol

So if you're such an expert in the arts of spotting players trying to flank you why the hell do you want a map?

That's such a dumb way to try and dismiss my claim (and fail at it) but whatever, if we're gonna pretend every map in the game is a big ass open area where you can spot players flanking at you by watching them ink a path towards you, sure, let's pretend it so you can at least have a reason to keep your otherwise unreasonable whining going.

PBalfredo

So if you're such an expert in the arts of spotting players trying to flank you why the hell do you want a map?

Situational awareness and team coordination, especially since the majority of the game is played online with randos without voice chat. Spamming C'mon only goes so far. The best way for players to see when it is time to push an opening, for defend against an enemy breakthrough is to see it on the mini-map.

Also, the Wii U is not long for this world and the gamepad likely isn't making it to the next Nintendo console, so I wouldn't be acting as if the gamepad map is hard coded into the game's DNA if we ever hope to see a Splat-2n.

ChrisD

Like brought up above, a possible sequel definitely raises some questions with this discussion. The second screen was a large part of the U's price, so expecting the NX to have its own GamePad seems silly. But that leaves you with the task of figuring out a new minimap. If the game is utterly broken through our current map put on the big screen, something is gonna' have to budge.

And yeah, thinking ahead way too far, I know. However, with Splatoon's massive success, a sequel is all but certain.

If the game is utterly broken through our current map put on the big screen, something is gonna' have to budge.
Press L. What's currently on the bottom screen pops up and takes up the entire screen. You can also choose where to super jump from this screen. Done.

Of course, that's what some of us would call "the hilariously half-assed solution".

PBalfredo

I don't understand this reply. What are you trying to say?

Inking pathways announces itself not just on the gamepad map, but on the big screen too. It's not exactly subtle. Splatoon's maps are very linear for a shooter, with flanking opportunities only really available at designated spots. Flanking someone through enemy territory, with hopes of catching them unawares, relies more on their own tunnel vision than the sneakiness of the part of the player. Splatoon is a game about overt territory control, with a plainly visible front. You can try to grab a flank from enemy territory, but you're not exactly a thief in the night while doing so. Any territory gained is plain for all the world to see, either on the gamepad map or by the very color of the ground. So the notion that the game will break if the enemy sees you gaining territory in a game that is all about highly visualized territory control is laughable.

SM239

I feel like having ninja squid and ink resistance is so essential for me. What about you guys?

Ninja squid is a bit too slow for me to use in most of my builds. I only really use it in my Sploosh build with some swim speed up atm. Though it does seem to throw some chargers off so I might use it in a counter charger build.

I haven't found much of a use for ink resistance as of yet. It did come in handy during some blaster battles today so I might look into it for some blaster builds.

ChrisD

I feel like having ninja squid and ink resistance is so essential for me. What about you guys?

If I want to fight mid-range or closer, Ink Res is a must. But if I'm long range or Carbon Roller (anything with Burst Bombs), I prefer other stats.

Not a huge fan of Ninja Squid. Rather, I dislike the Swim Speed penalty too much to use it often. Love going fast.

PBalfredo

Those are usually what I fall back on when it's time to get some ranks. I just wish there were more clothing options with those perks that look fresher together.

Crayolan

Used to use Ninja Squid 24/7 until I figured out that you can move unseen without ninja squid almost as quickly just by pressing the control stick rapidly in the desired direction.

Never use ink resistance except when brushing. I think Stealth Jump is far more useful, especially in ranked modes.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
And so it was ordered, and so it was worn. I wanted to wait until I was on a light blue ink team, but it didn't happen... Splatoon needs a photo mode for your Inkling.
If you enter and exit reconning the maps, you can quickly flip through colors.

Xenoboy

I have been in B- for what seems like an eternity now. I win 5 games, after that I lose 6, and then it repeats over and over.

I'm going to play some more soon. Maybe I can get to B today!

Top Bottom