• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

L95

eH3Mx1f.png

The Adventures of Inkling and Inkbag

What wacky mischief will they get up to next

They will first learn friendship through basketball.

Finally made to an S rank. That final match on skatepark tower control.
Desperately defending and taking all three on the tower down.

ChrisD

Congratulations, twothunder. =)

I've ordered four Blue Moto Boots with all the Run Speed's, and Spyke has offered me every one with one. >_>

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Got to B- 90... then ran into a team with an A- Luna Blaster that rolled over us, and lost a heartbreaker. Ugh.

RedFyn

Inking pathways announces itself not just on the gamepad map, but on the big screen too. It's not exactly subtle.
If they can see you or are looking at the gamepad yes.

Splatoon's maps are very linear for a shooter, with flanking opportunities only really available at designated spots.
I disagree. Linear sure but not more so than most shooters.

Flanking someone through enemy territory, with hopes of catching them unawares, relies more on their own tunnel vision than the sneakiness of the part of the player.
It relies on them not seeing you. Like every other game in the world. How is Splatoon different?

Splatoon is a game about overt territory control, with a plainly visible front. You can try to grab a flank from enemy territory, but you're not exactly a thief in the night while doing so.
Umm sure, except when they can't see you or aren't looking down at their gamepad.

Any territory gained is plain for all the world to see, either on the gamepad map or by the very color of the ground.
Uhhh yeah the map that shows all of the paint on the ground shows you all of the territory gained. What's your point?

So the notion that the game will break if the enemy sees you gaining territory in a game that is all about highly visualized territory control is laughable.
Right now you either have to look away to view the map or have vision of the territory being taken. Highly visualized territory? Yes, but not without risk.

That's not even close to what I said, but I appreciate you rewriting my quote to misconstrue what I said.
Your entire post is about how visible the map is. If its visible that means there aren't line of sight breakers. How is my comment misconstruing your post?

ChrisD

I literally don't remember having any issues getting out of B rank. Maybe my luck isn't so bad after all. (Or I just can't recall it as I try to suppress the memories?)

I literally don't remember having any issues getting out of B rank. Maybe my luck isn't so bad after all. (Or I just can't recall it as I try to suppress the memories?)

First time out of B+ / A- was easy, it's when you sink back into it that the real pain begins.

edit: lol turf wars. Our team is my blaster, 1 junior, a tentatek and a dynamo vs their 2 snipers, heavy splatling and bucket on Mall. Somehow i'm the only goober who goes 8/2 while my team literally has 0 kills and we still win. I'm just glad they actually inked the base and not ran around like headless chickens.

I got to B89. Then I turned the console off in the lobby because I heard someone about to use the microwave and didn't wanna get DC'd and lose points. It worked. I didn't lose points.

Of course things went to hell anyways after I joined a new lobby, and joining different lobbies didn't help, and just as I was about to win at B56 a fucker did decide to use the fucking microwave and I wound up at B45 after the inevitable DC. Then my teammates in the new lobby got 3-5, 3-7, and 3-10 and I went down to B35.

IIRC I went up from there until I got a loss and decided to take a break before risking that nonsense again.

correojon

Inking pathways announces itself not just on the gamepad map, but on the big screen too. It's not exactly subtle. Splatoon's maps are very linear for a shooter, with flanking opportunities only really available at designated spots.
You can also flank vertically, which BTW can´t be seen on the gamepad. One of the things I like more about Splatoon is how it enables you to do crazy parkouring to get to unexpected places, surprise the enemy or just get the advantage in close quarters.

Flanking someone through enemy territory, with hopes of catching them unawares, relies more on their own tunnel vision than the sneakiness of the part of the player. Splatoon is a game about overt territory control, with a plainly visible front. You can try to grab a flank from enemy territory, but you're not exactly a thief in the night while doing so. Any territory gained is plain for all the world to see, either on the gamepad map or by the very color of the ground. So the notion that the game will break if the enemy sees you gaining territory in a game that is all about highly visualized territory control is laughable.
I play with the Octobrush and my strategy relies on getting behind enemy lines and messing the enemy from there. Sometimes I use pure speed to get there before the enemy can see my ink path and it works. Other times I use that inkpath to lure enemies to traps and it works, too, so having the enemy spot your inkpath isn´t always a bad thing. However if everyone could constantly see the inkpaths it would kill most of my attempts at getting behind enemy lines, every incursion would end in direct combat. All weapons that are not good at frontal attacks would become obsolete: everything would be Gals and chargers.

So having a fully detailed map onscreen won´t work but having a partial map won´t work either. How would you implement beacons in a partial map?

I think you´re trying to make Splatoon more similar to other existing games, but in the process you are removing parts of it that make it much more unique and fun than those games.

octopiggy

Does anyone have the Squid-Pattern Waistcoat? It's the last piece of gear I need and it just isn't appearing in the shop and no one ever wears it online.
NNID: octopiggy

nom

Does anyone have the Squid-Pattern Waistcoat? It's the last piece of gear I need and it just isn't appearing in the shop and no one ever wears it online.
NNID: octopiggy

I sent a request, that item just so happened to me in my shop today

Doorman

Getting sandwiched on Triggerfish by two enemies simultaneously popping Kraken, and a third charging in with an inkzooka too. Good times!

PBalfredo

I think you´re trying to make Splatoon more similar to other existing games, but in the process you are removing parts of it that make it much more unique and fun than those games.

Not at all. Rather I think the awareness of the state of battle is one of Splatoon's unique features and I'd rather have it in the forefront rather than the current half-step where the gamepad map surfaces a lot of information to the player, but is inconveniently located off screen likely because one of the many masters the dev team has to serve is justifying the gamepad.

Take your example with the Octobrush. If we translated your Ocrobrush strategy into regular shooter terms, it is not the equivalent of you running around with the knife behind enemy lines to run up on people to backstab them. Rather the equivalent would be you firing your weapon full-auto at the ground and being shocked, shocked, that the enemy saw you pinging the mini-map. And that's because in Splatoon's terms, any incursion into enemy territory is an assault. You may be primarily using your Octobrush for its mobility, but brushing the ground is still an attack. A weak and narrow one, but an attack all the same. So your assault on enemy territory showing up on the map is not the game betraying your location, it's the game showing where the lines of battle are. And that is a uniquely Splatoon feature which I think would be diminished by the insistence I'm seeing here that map awareness would cut back on the traditional shooter concept of infiltrating the back ranks.

Doorman

Rank up!
to B, lame.
Last match to get there was intense, though. Enemy team had the 3-pack of rollers, all of whom had very special abilities to irritate. I actually spent most of the match fighting to keep them from performing base_invade.exe while the rest of my team kept fighting to try and retake the tower. Finally made a late push at the very end, jumped onto the tower and pulled some clutch defense to ride the tower into an overtime victory. I'm not sure if I've had a win that's somehow also left me so salty. :p

Re: the map debate: having a map or minimap available directly on the screen at all times would, I believe, definitely throw off balance in a lot of ways because it would immediately force a greater degree of map awareness on everyone's part. Now, having map awareness is a good thing, but it would make rolling up on somebody from behind literally impossible, since even if you aren't thinking about it too much, your peripheral vision on the minimap catching sight of a line of ink coming your way really can't be misconstrued. Glancing down at the gamepad map and seeing a line come in still forces some time to recognize and readjust.

As for the inability in Splatoon to "sneak behind enemy lines," I think that's a deliberate design decision on the developers' part to discourage someone from just constantly camping and backstabbing through a whole match, since that strikes me as behavior that they wouldn't view as being good for the health of the community. Knowing at a glance where the "battlefront" is and feeling relatively secure that you can move through a large swath of your own territory without a problem makes for a safer environment for new players, which they've been very conscientious of. It's probably also worth bearing in mind that Turf War was the original mode they designed for this game and the primary goal is to ink territory rather than kill other players, so a strategy built around intentionally not inking and solely killing runs counter to their central design philosophy.

Doorman

Aside from being able to read which ranked modes are coming up in the rotation, I'm not really sure what sort of information you'd have on that site that even requires much translation. Most of it is pretty self-explanatory, isn't it?

Pikma

Banned
Aside from being able to read which ranked modes are coming up in the rotation, I'm not really sure what sort of information you'd have on that site that even requires much translation. Most of it is pretty self-explanatory, isn't it?
Why not spend the 5 minutes needed to officially translate it then?

Mr. Sam

I'm into A-rank and I splatted three people at once with a single well-placed suction bomb in my last match. I should retire right now and be satisfied with my Splatoon career.

J@hranimo

Banned

Honestly for me it's just for the ranked modes. Everything is self explanatory.

Geg

Yeah if you can't already read it all you need to do is memorize what text equates with what ranked mode

ChrisD

I just wrote down the symbols along with what is what on a piece of paper beside the computer. Easy to check it then

Translating would still be nice. Even translating to eleven languages shouldn't take but what, an hour or two? There's so little text.

RedFyn

Not at all. Rather I think the awareness of the state of battle is one of Splatoon's unique features and I'd rather have it in the forefront rather than the current half-step where the gamepad map surfaces a lot of information to the player, but is inconveniently located off screen likely because one of the many masters the dev team has to serve is justifying the gamepad.
The potential awareness of the state of battle as well as the opportunity for surprise attacks due to a false sense of security is a wonderful and unique feature. The reason the ability to see almost every players movements isn't considered broken is because you have to take your eyes off the screen to do it. Its not a half step measure but a balancing one.

Your comparisons to other games are also flawed. You seem to forget that the other games have sprint buttons and don't rely on their ammunition to get around. Let's compare it to another sea shooter. CoD doesn't require you to spray bullets on the ground in order to sprint. You can flank because you can sprint wherever and whenever you want. In Splatoon you would have to walk. I've done it before so as not to draw any attention. Its slow and the novelty would wear off real fast.

DaBoss

I hope a Firefox version of the add-on is made soon. Chrome gets all the good add-ons now. :/
They probably are but Japan came first, for obvious reasons, and Treehouse has its hands full.
It's been nearly a month now since that companion site launched.

Even before that companion site, they had this site which showed the current rotation and the previous two rotations (for turf war) with a leaderboard of people's vibe meter: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/stage/index.html

Nintendo is not very international focused on things outside of their games. MarioKart.tv is an exception, not the norm unfortunately.

PBalfredo

Your comparisons to other games are also flawed. You seem to forget that the other games have sprint buttons and don't rely on their ammunition to get around. Let's compare it to another sea shooter. CoD doesn't require you to spray bullets on the ground in order to sprint. You can flank because you can sprint wherever and whenever you want. In Splatoon you would have to walk. I've done it before so as not to draw any attention. Its slow and the novelty would wear off real fast.

Exactly my point! Splatoon is not CoD, so this expectation of being able to infiltrate enemy territory without inking their ink and having to deal with everything that comes with that (such as displaying your ink trail on the map) is completely antithetical to Splatoon! Splatoon makes it very explicit you're only going to be moving in your own turf and if you want more room to move, you better expand your turf. So of course your example of trying to go on foot to avoid showing up on the map -being slowed down by enemy ink and taking damage while doing so- is a horrible idea. Because that's not how the game is meant to be played.

L95

Oh, I finished the amiibo challenges. Was pretty fun! Beating Octavio with a charger made me slightly angry, however. (Roller and Kraken were cake though)

RedFyn

Exactly my point! Splatoon is not CoD, so this expectation of being able to infiltrate enemy territory without inking their ink and having to deal with everything that comes with that (such as displaying your ink trail on the map) is completely antithetical to Splatoon!
I'm not sure how to respond to this because as far as i know, no one has this expectation. I don't know who this is supposed to directed at.

Splatoon makes it very explicit you're only going to be moving in your own turf and if you want more room to move, you better expand your turf. So of course your example of trying to go on foot to avoid showing up on the map -being slowed down by enemy ink and taking damage while doing so- is a horrible idea. Because that's not how the game is meant to be played.
Apparently I should've been clearer. I wasn't walking through enemy ink, I was walking over uncovered ground. Its a legitimate strategy but its not very fun. A mini map would make it necessary to do this a lot more often, thus making the game less fun.

Top Bottom