• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

PBalfredo

I'm not sure how to respond to this because as far as i know, no one has this expectation. I don't know who this is supposed to directed at.

Apparently I should've been clearer. I wasn't walking through enemy ink, I was walking over uncovered ground. Its a legitimate strategy but its not very fun. A mini map would make it necessary to do this a lot more often, thus making the game less fun.

You don't know who I could possibly be talking to and then in the very next sentence talk about how you huff it on foot specifically to avoid having your ink trail being spotted? C'mon.

And in what game is the entire stage not covered in one color of ink or another within the first minute? I don't think you have to worry about on screen maps making your walking over un-inked ground "strategy" more prevalent.

Kicko

I've had this game since its release yet I still can't make it out of A ranked. Am I really this bad, or have I been given a raw deal when it comes to random squad making? I gather it's a combination of the two.

Anyways, I see many of you are using chat applications. Anyone mind giving me the heads up on which apps are being used? I'd very much like to chat it up with you guys in real time.

Doorman

You don't know who I could possibly be talking to and then in the very next sentence talk about how you huff it on foot specifically to avoid having your ink trail being spotted? C'mon.

He was pointing out the difference between footing it on an untouched surface vs. walking through area already covered by the enemy. There is a difference to it, but I personally think the point somewhat moot when if you're going to be walking through territory you might as well be inking it anyway. Yes, you lose some element of stealth that way, but it's a greater boon to the rest of your team to have an area in your color rather than left blank, and as I pointed out before that particular strategy runs counter to the game's mechanics and strategy anyway. Ink on the map can alert someone to your presence in a general area, but it still gives you just as much of a chance to setup ambush tactics than if you were just standing around on uncovered ground, anyway.

ryechu

And in what game is the entire stage not covered in one color of ink or another within the first minute? I don't think you have to worry about on screen maps making your walking over un-inked ground "strategy" more prevalent.

plenty of ranked matches. On stages such as bluefin depot and walleye. Regardless, it is a strategy, i'm not sure what the need for quotations are. In high ranks, people will often check the map for changes in ink color. That is how we most quickly perceive details, though movement, in this case, the realtime addition of enemy paint in flank pathways is easily noticed if you look at the gamepad for longer than a split second. Your flank is more likely to succeed, if you walk for a large portion of your flank.

Regardless your main argument is flawed, and your peers don't have an obligation to address the flaws in your claims. Its more likely that we collectively roll our eyes and move on.

nom

I've had this game since its release yet I still can't make it out of A ranked. Am I really this bad, or have I been given a raw deal when it comes to random squad making? I gather it's a combination of the two.

Anyways, I see many of you are using chat applications. Anyone mind giving me the heads up on which apps are being used? I'd very much like to chat it up with you guys in real time.

www.discordapp.com the server is in the second post

There's a bit of luck to ranked, you can get some silly teams with bad weapon balance or a couple of players who have no idea how to play. But overall if you're good with a weapon, and that weapon is good for the current rotation you should be able to carry those players.

Once you get on Discord it will be easier to join a squad or some private lobbies which is good practice.

RedFyn

Let's look at what you said:

"Exactly my point! Splatoon is not CoD, so this expectation of being able to infiltrate enemy territory without inking their ink and having to deal with everything that comes with that (such as displaying your ink trail on the map) is completely antithetical to Splatoon!"

I assumed Infiltrate without inking their ink meant walking not inking but then I read "and having to deal with everything that comes with that" which confused me because the only thing that comes with that is a kill or lost time. Not that lost time isn't bad but its usually offset by the advantage gained. Then you said "displaying your ink trail on the map." If I'm walking there is no ink trail.

So I ask again, who are you talking to because I'm not talking about laying down any ink. Walking means walking.

Everything but turf war. I'm not sure why you think its not a stategy. What would you call not giving away your position in order to gain an advantageous position?

A rank isn't bad. You're an above average player and there's nothing wrong with that. I believe most of gaf is around A

Discord. Check out the 2nd post for all the info.

Daknight

God damn it! I am starting to hate this game, freaking rainmaker and the fucking idiot/troll taking it in our team and just going to our damn base!

They should a freaking rule that whoever does that rainmaker ecplode and he can get it again!

Doorman

And that's it for Splatoon for me today, I think. I have to stop myself if this is how I'm going to be reacting.

The day'd been going so well for me on it, one losing streak later and I'm cursing and physically assaulting myself. I've never taken losses in video games this hard before, so I don't know what the hell's wrong. I can't act this way, though. It's fucking stupid. Especially when my personal performances have typically been really good relative to the rest of my teammates. Is this the true meaning of B-Hell? Why is Blackbelly Rainmaker suddenly the complete bane of my existence when it's a map/mode combo that I'd been very successful with in the past? I have no answers, only salt, and that's bad for my heart. I feel defeated even just writing this.

ChrisD

Hyper aggressive Bucket is LEGIT. Picking it back up after messing around with Heavy Splatling for a week, it's so much more nimble.

L95

So I was playing in the dojo with my lil' bro, I noticed the stages in the dojo are untouched. It has old Urchin underpass, unfixed Arrowana, etc.

Geg

I wasn't able to be around for the August update, what did they change in Arrowana?

There's a palm tree that blocks what used to be a good sniping spot for e-liters I think. And a few other minor changes I think.

For ranked though, they widened the middle area so you can go beneath it and climb up the side, making it easier to get in

Doorman

There's a palm tree that blocks what used to be a good sniping spot for e-liters I think. And a few other minor changes I think.

For ranked though, they widened the middle area so you can go beneath it and climb up the side, making it easier to get in

The side-paths are only added in the ranked mode, much like the extra ledges on Moray Towers. Both of those are still the same layout-wise in Turf War as they've ever been. The main "fix" for Arrowana was adding the extra bar to prevent people from making the jump at the end of the side-hallways and easily getting into the other team's base without having to go through the middle.

ChrisD

The side-paths are only added in the ranked mode, much like the extra ledges on Moray Towers. Both of those are still the same layout-wise in Turf War as they've ever been. The main "fix" for Arrowana was adding the extra bar to prevent people from making the jump at the end of the side-hallways and easily getting into the other team's base without having to go through the middle.

Though as Azure can show you, the glitch that allows you to hop out of bounds and into the palm tree isn't fixed. Still salty and still laughing at that one.

On an off-topic, unrelated note, our car got hit about two hours ago. Nobody was in it, but it's the second time it's been hit in six months. Why I bring it up is that it jogged my memory on a much earlier hit, where the teenager who hit ours got all up in my Dad's face with the line, "I've got Geico, WHAT'CHU GOT?!"

My sister and I were outside just saying the line back and forth. Now it's in my head again, and every kill I get is going to get the response of, "I've gotta' Bucket, WHAT'CHU GOT?!" It's where I wish for voice chat, just to confuse people. :p (Though they'd probably just get angry, idk)

jholmes

The problem with ranked is that points can be very hard to get and very easy to lose. I think at a certain point you just have to accept increasing your rank by much will involve a lot of work and, frankly, some luck. If you're still having fun, I say put in the hours. If not, it's just a letter and nothing else, so don't sweat it.

Nintendo seriously screwed up with the points system, some D/Cs can destroy your rating faster than you can even play a real match.

L95

I was specifically talking about the pipe being the old single pipe, yeah. (But it's missing the palm tree too)

Luigi87

Played two matches of Splatzones, almost got de-ranked to A- (one loss, then a near-loss victory)... I can't do this. Splatzones stresses me out too much. Will wait for Rainmaker or Tower Control tomorrow.

What did he get now?

.eJwlyksKgCAUAMC7eADtZaV2kWgVz08_1KQUgujuLZr1PKScnvRkzTldPWMN0ODshjSXoP1JzRGYktKisMLgzC0opzhwxysNnW5agzX77xSLQR2vMQ5QbuE3ecAEtazonhbyfjDdIoU.2EjXv5VBgrwgTwWMJpIbYjbklko.jpg

ChrisD

Played two matches of Splatzones, almost got de-ranked to A- (one loss, then a near-loss victory)... I can't do this. Splatzones stresses me out too much. Will wait for Rainmaker or Tower Control tomorrow.

Splatzones sucks if you don't know how to play it. And nobody's got any worthwhile guides on what to try and do. :(

WHAT THE * BOSS

Robotguy

Splatzones sucks if you don't know how to play it. And nobody's got any worthwhile guides on what to try and do. :(
How to play splatzones:
1. Wait until Triggerfish is in the rotation
2. Choose .96
3. Spam splashwalls and shoot into their zone
4. If someone tries to flank you Kraken them

I just saw a go go 11-0 and knock us out in Splat Zones with a charger. He had power on every item and 6/9 sub-items. Does that allow the charger to go a further distance? It felt like he was hitting me 3/4 of the way across the damn map.

ChrisD

How to play splatzones:
1. Wait until Triggerfish is in the rotation
2. Choose .96
3. Spam splashwalls and shoot into their zone
4. If someone tries to flank you Kraken them

What if you don't own the .96? Does this also work with Heavy Splatling/Range Blaster? May as well ask before trying. :x

I just saw a go go 11-0 and knock us out in Splat Zones with a charger. He had power on every item and 6/9 sub-items. Does that allow the charger to go a further distance? It felt like he was hitting me 3/4 of the way across the damn map.

Damage Up on Chargers just makes for earlier kills. You can kill at like, 30% charge up-close. 70% farther away. Probably horrible numbers, but the idea is less charge, easier kills.

For reference, Splatzones is what prompted my comment about how B-rank is a piece of shit. :p

Well now I see where you're coming from haha.

ryechu

Damage Up on Chargers just makes for earlier kills. You can kill at like, 30% charge up-close. 70% farther away. Probably horrible numbers, but the idea is less charge, easier kills.

Charger dmg doesnt vary with distance. It pretty much soft caps at 55% for Eliters and 70% for splatchargers.

ChrisD

Oh. The Damage Ups still brings the 100-Damage charge to a lower charge needed, though, right?

Don't even know where I got the distance thing. Have always assumed it for an odd reason.

Robotguy

What if you don't own the .96? Does this also work with Heavy Splatling/Range Blaster? May as well ask before trying. :x

Well now I see where you're coming from haha.
I dunno, haven't tried it.
Forgot to mention you're supposed to use the Deco model.

ChrisD

I dunno, haven't tried it.
Forgot to mention you're supposed to use the Deco model.

Yeah, I don't own either .96. Sick of seeing them online, don't want to use them myself. It's a perfect description of scrub logic.

Edit: Hey cool, I'm about to be A+ again. Thanks, unstable connection and me not stopping when I know it's an issue.

Nico_D

Charger dmg doesnt vary with distance. It pretty much soft caps at 55% for Eliters and 70% for splatchargers.

Exactly how many damage ups is enough?

I tried to test this yesterday and it would seem to me, that two, maybe little over, is enough?

ChrisD

Man, why the false hope. Game went into Overtime when we were supposed to lose. We still lost a few seconds later when we caught the zones in the supposed "overtime". Turns out we were just waiting on the results for a few extra seconds. :\

What sucks about mixed lobbies is that if you're the S, you barely gain anything. Meanwhile, if you're the A+ and win with the S, you ALSO barely gain anything.

Okay, could we get a "You're being flanked, PLEASE TURN AROUND" voice command? My Booyah and C'mon spam is apparently going unnoticed.

totowhoa

Banned
Okay, could we get a "You're being flanked, PLEASE TURN AROUND" voice command? My Booyah and C'mon spam is apparently going unnoticed.

Just need voice chat options :( I love so much of this game but wish it could be enabled for ranked. I've NEVER paid attentions to teammates' booyahs. Honestly I've never intentionally used those commands, either.

Really enjoying his game a ton after grabbing it a few weeks ago. Just got to A-. Might start trying to hop in with some of you guys here :D

Here's to hoping I can get to S rank with Mario Maker coming out too...

ryechu

I tried to test this yesterday and it would seem to me, that two, maybe little over, is enough?

depends on what you want. i use anywhere from 0-3. i prefer exactly 2 on scope, and 3 on e liter though.

ChrisD

Just need voice chat options :( I love so much of this game but wish it could be enabled for ranked. I've NEVER paid attentions to teammates' booyahs. Honestly I've never intentionally used those commands, either.

Really enjoying his game a ton after grabbing it a few weeks ago. Just got to A-. Might start trying to hop in with some of you guys here :D

Here's to hoping I can get to S rank with Mario Maker coming out too...

If not in Ranked then at least in Squads. You're choosing who gets in, so why not? I can see why Booyah goes ignored if it's been spammed all game, but if someone who's kept quiet is suddenly spamming it...

Also, I made it back to S rank. Again. Let's see if this one can last more than one night.

totowhoa

Banned

Test it in the training area. For some weapons it's worthwhile, others no. I believe an unbuffed squid has 100 health so just mess around with it.

totowhoa

Banned
If not in Ranked then at least in Squads. You're choosing who gets in, so why not? I can see why Booyah goes ignored if it's been spammed all game, but if someone who's kept quiet is suddenly spamming it...

Also, I made it back to S rank. Again. Let's see if this one can last more than one night.

That makes total sense. I haven't played squad yet :) now that I'm in A, I might try and jump in with some users here.

Edit: whoops, dp.

ChrisD

That feel when you know you're doing badly all game, and at the end you're like, x/0 but your team still pulled you through. I'm so sorry, teammates. D:

AHAHAHA, I just did a touchdown on Kelp Dome in something like fifteen seconds. Just took the grate path. Absolutely nobody tried to defend it. loooool, it feels good being on the winning side of that.

I fucking hate Rainmaker on Kelp Dome. The moron that gets the RM will always, ALWAYS fire a full charge when the inflatable wall on the catwalks is in the way.

I had an amazing rush with the Sploosh o Matic in Kelp Dome and killed three of them in the Tower Control goal alcove and made a path to the goal. I kept shooting down the side to keep anyone from attacking the RM as it approached the spot. And I kept shooting. And I kept shooting. Where the hell is that guy!? I actually got to walk back and saw he kept trying to shoot some dynamo roller on the center platform. And he was hitting the wall so his shots dissolved. He then died to it and then I got killed by the respawning team I had been stuffing. Lord only knows what the rest of the team was doing.

I went straight from S 58 -> S 17 in a single hour playing with the randoms before I got DC'd so hard my router rebooted. It's been a month since this mode came out. How do people --S Rank people, STILL not know how to play this?

On the bright side I actually got to combat a roller that wasn't lagging. How can I tell? I got behind him and his swing didn't kill me through him.

correojon

I´d swear the first loading screen in the game (the one that shows a drawing of a inkling´s room) changes over time adding little details here and there. Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I just seeing things?

For example in mine there´s a Splatcharger, which I think wasn´t there at the beginning and which is my most used weapon, so this may not be a coincidence....Maybe the stickers on the wall of cloth brands also depend on what gear you use most? If 2 people could post a pic of their starting screen we could compare them (I´d do it myself but I´m not currently at home).

Also, it´s neat how the chair and the iSquidPhone have the shape of a squid, this game is full of those cool little details.

ChrisD

I fucking hate Rainmaker on Kelp Dome. The moron that gets the RM will always, ALWAYS fire a full charge when the inflatable wall on the catwalks is in the way.

I had an amazing rush with the Sploosh o Matic in Kelp Dome and killed three of them in the Tower Control goal alcove and made a path to the goal. I kept shooting down the side to keep anyone from attacking the RM as it approached the spot. And I kept shooting. And I kept shooting. Where the hell is that guy!? I actually got to walk back and saw he kept trying to shoot some dynamo roller on the center platform. And he was hitting the wall so his shots dissolved. He then died to it and then I got killed by the respawning team I had been stuffing. Lord only knows what the rest of the team was doing.

I went straight from S 58 -> S 17 in a single hour playing with the randoms before I got DC'd so hard my router rebooted. It's been a month since this mode came out. How do people --S Rank people, STILL not know how to play this?

On the bright side I actually got to combat a roller that wasn't lagging. How can I tell? I got behind him and his swing didn't kill me through him.

Why would you fire on the catwalks to begin with? That's something I've not seen since the first Kelp Done RM rotation. Sorry about your luck man.

I've gone from S 67 to A+ back to S in a 24 hour period before. I think that A+/S is really the same thing at this point. Mixed lobbies, squads, luck, poor days; they all come together to make the line between the two a lot thinner than you'd expect.

Like, I don't think I'm S rank material. In full S lobbies I find myself at the bottom too many times. But I'm consistently the top in full A+ battles. The difference is DEFINITELY there, but it's a mighty fine one compared to B to A, and it's blurred further through lobbies being a grab bag in teammates and rank pairings.

Oh yeah, I don't recall the loading screen changing, but it'd be a neat touch I could see being done and we just didnt know!

ss-hikaru

I´d swear the first loading screen in the game (the one that shows a drawing of a inkling´s room) changes over time adding little details here and there. Has anyone else noticed this? Or am I just seeing things?

For example in mine there´s a Splatcharger, which I think wasn´t there at the beginning and which is my most used weapon, so this may not be a coincidence....Maybe the stickers on the wall of cloth brands also depend on what gear you use most? If 2 people could post a pic of their starting screen we could compare them (I´d do it myself but I´m not currently at home).

Also, it´s neat how the chair and the iSquidPhone have the shape of a squid, this game is full of those cool little details.

I've never used the Splatcharger, and it's always there in my starting screen. I feel like I notice more and more cool details each time I look around the room, but I don't think it changes?

Top Bottom