• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ChrisD

My favorite, favorite detail is the map on the Gamepad. You can see where they inked the room matches perfectly to the screen, then you notice that the rainbow object is the Inkling on the map!

Some observations.

I don't usually play this late/early. However, I can't sleep and I thought why the hell not.

There's nothing more magical than getting splatted by an octoroller that's not only facing the other direction, but is on a completely different level on Moray Towers.

Moray Towers needs some sort of edit to it. I'm not sure what needs to change, but something does. The flow just seems a bit off. It's not as messed up as Salt Spray, but I think it could use something. If the other team simply camps the middle, and you have incompetent players on your team (like I nearly always do), you're pretty much screwed. I push in, and my team just sits there like they have no clue how to play the game.

If someone rage quits, 9 times out of 10 they're using a charger of some sort.

The lag seems a bit better, but match making seems really, really off. Just had a match where we were all level 30 plus, and the other team were all under level 10. It wasn't even close.

Had my best match ever on Camp Triggerfish. 10 and 0 with 1840 turf. They were spawn trapped something terrible.

Nico_D

Moray Towers needs some sort of edit to it. I'm not sure what needs to change, but something does. The flow just seems a bit off. It's not as messed up as Saltspray

I don't think any map needs edits for those reasobs, they just need better players who knows how to break a blockage, for example, on Moray Towers. It needs coordination from the team, not that they are running scattered around taking random hits at whatever they can.

I personally like that some maps can be really hard whereas others are more forgiving. But surely it can be frustrating especially with randoms when there's no history of playing together.

octopiggy

So yesterday I posted that that I only needed one more item of clothing. Turns out I also need the Squid-Stitch Tee. Can anyone help me out?
NNID: octopiggy

I don't think any map needs edits for those reasobs, they just need better players who knows how to break a blockage, for example, on Moray Towers. It needs coordination from the team, not that they are running scattered around taking random hits at whatever they can.

I personally like that some maps can be really hard whereas others are more forgiving. But surely it can be frustrating especially with randoms when there's no history of playing together.

For me, I think the map could be fixed with a single additional walkway near the middle. There needs to be an additional flanking route. They "fixed" Urchin for way less than the issues with Saltspray and Moray. I love the verticality of that map. It's just that choke point in the middle that's questionable to me. An extra walkway would make it more fun to flank. It would prevent the eLiter campers from just sitting on their side of the map. They seem to be all about balancing weapons against the maps. I think a few changes to Saltspray and Moray would help with that.

It's the same reason I have issue with Saltspray. It's not difficult to hold and take that top part, but it's incredibly boring.

That it most certainly is. On some maps splatzones is, aftee getting the single zone, spamming bombs to ledges and sitting with a charger.

Part of the reason I'm still at an A/B rank is I only play Rainmaker. I find the others boring. I was thinking about this while trying to edit this play I'm working on. The maps I really like have tons of flanking routes. I like Port Mackerel, Camp Triggerfish and the apartment one a lot. The maps that really push to one area...not so much. That's probably why I don't like SplatZones and Tower Control.

Geg

An official Splatoon art book is coming out October 10th, preview pics from Famitsu

tumblr_nucqg0hDeB1uq3bnuo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nucqg0hDeB1uq3bnuo2_1280.jpg

69wpm

I'm wondering if Famitsu is optimizing their site for 3DS. It's 2015, why the heck are those images so damn small?

Why would you fire on the catwalks to begin with? That's something I've not seen since the first Kelp Done RM rotation. Sorry about your luck man.

No, they will walk on the ground and when they fire the Rainmaker, the do it so the inflatable barricades on the catwalks are in the path of the shot, so it fizzles out.

Zing

Banned
If you think holding the splatzone in Saltspray is boring, then you need to rank up. At S/S+, it is not easy nor boring. If it is a blowout, it will be over in a minute anyway. Otherwise, these matches are tense. I have been on both sides and it is always fun.

I do recall the B/A ranks usually being a knockout in all splatzones, though.

My rainmaker tech is runspeed with splattershot jr. I can get bubble up before each engagement. I can imagine my opponents swearing each time they get in a firefight with me and I bubble. So much fun. Run speed is nuts on Kelp Dome and Camp Triggerfish, due to the catwalks. Can actually outrun people chasing and shooting me from behind. And yes, I sometimes run without inking (when bubble is charged) to sneak up on people. I will even just run in on Kelp Dome with Rainmaker if I am first to grab it. I find that opposing teams often do not ink their right path, allowing me to just run. I always start inking right to prevent easy access.

Just need voice chat options :(
Here we have voice chat in the form of discord, and few people use it despite my best efforts.This convinced me that adding voice chat to splattoon is not worthwhile if it requires any effort on the developers part. There are a surprising number of people that apparently still live with parents/family and "don't have a mic" (horseshit, since literally everyone with a cell phone has a mic). I think the GAF nerds here are just too nervous to talk.

My teams with full voice chat undoubtedly perform better than without, if people are using it properly. I was a bit thrown off at first since some people were very verbose about their actions, but I quickly learned that this is exactly how one should take advantage of real-time communication. Users of discord can attest to the number of times we have lost and I typed into the chat "we needed voice chat there".

Japanese is such a beautiful language guys.. You should learn it instead :(
I taught myself hiragana just for this game, so I could recognize names. I can read most names I see in game after only a week of very little study, but katakana is still unknown to me.

I used the app Dr. Moku's Hiragana
https://appsto.re/ca/VrHgx.i

Ther is a katakana version as well, so that may be next on todo list.

Geg

I've had some matches in Saltspray splatzones where I barely ever touched the zone itself and most of the game was spent fighting enemies north of the zone for beakon space lol. Once one side gets entrenched it's really hard to take it back if they're a good team

TM25

Neo Member
I need this like I need oxygen.

That and the music, the key chains, the pillows and the clothes.

Meanwhile outside of Japan. It's like the Pokemon centre all over again.

You could use that art in your stream right? I remember you wanting new art.

L95

That and the music, the key chains, the pillows and the clothes.

Meanwhile outside of Japan. It's like the Pokemon centre all over again.

You could use that art in your stream right? I remember you wanting new art.

I ordered a pillow and the soundtrack CD from Amiami. I've never had any luck with getting art books from Amiami though. (I think they like, get 5, lol on the occasions I've wanted an art book. lol)

TM25

Neo Member
I ordered a pillow and the soundtrack CD from Amiami. I've never had any luck with getting art books from Amiami though. (I think they like, get 5, lol on the occasions I've wanted an art book. lol)

Are they reputable? Game only cost like £32 here. Considering the hours I have put in it feels like theft. Throwing some cash at some quality official merchandise seems a good idea to me.

Zing

Banned
Rank change! S+

I don't pay much attention to rank or wins/losses so this nearly caught me by surprise. I happened to look at my rank this morning and I was S97. I thank Dome/Camp Rainmaker for all the wins recently. Run speed is great on these stages and I have been running Splattershot Jr or Splooshamatic with full run speed.

Edit: hopped right back in and had my first "sigh" moment as I am paired with A rank players that apparently never look at map and possibly have never played Moray Towers before.

Well... I think I'm making improvements. I don't commit to a full 4 volleys anymore unless I know the enemy is too far away. I'm backing off more often, so I'm more likely to survive and kill instead of trading. My not committing to a full volley makes me better at killing chargers, unless they hit me through walls lol. And I always attack from high ground when I can.

With that said I went from A30 to A0 back to maybe A28 last night lol. So am I actually improving???

ChrisD

There are a surprising number of people that apparently still live with parents/family and "don't have a mic" (horseshit, since literally everyone with a cell phone has a mic). I think the GAF nerds here are just too nervous to talk.

I just got a Tracfone this March for nothing more than a work phone, have no headset with mic, and no USB microphone.

Checkmate. :p
(Could buy a cheap headset though)

J@hranimo

Banned
An official Splatoon art book is coming out October 10th, preview pics from Famitsu

tumblr_nucqg0hDeB1uq3bnuo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nucqg0hDeB1uq3bnuo2_1280.jpg

nurtnb.gif

Whatever the price, I needs it :O

Here we have voice chat in the form of discord, and few people use it despite my best efforts.This convinced me that adding voice chat to splattoon is not worthwhile if it requires any effort on the developers part. There are a surprising number of people that apparently still live with parents/family and "don't have a mic" (horseshit, since literally everyone with a cell phone has a mic). I think the GAF nerds here are just too nervous to talk.

My teams with full voice chat undoubtedly perform better than without, if people are using it properly. I was a bit thrown off at first since some people were very verbose about their actions, but I quickly learned that this is exactly how one should take advantage of real-time communication. Users of discord can attest to the number of times we have lost and I typed into the chat "we needed voice chat there".

I cosign this. Up until the past month I was home with my parents during the summer, but even then I tried using voice chat when able. It helps a TON, especially with Rainmaker. Everyone that joins we should definitely use it :). We're all Gaffers, we don't bite (at least I would hope none of us do o.o)

300 pages, 2600 yen, sounds good.

edit: So they're going to release all the maps before art book is out, right? I bet we'll get the bridge map this week.

L95

Are they reputable? Game only cost like £32 here. Considering the hours I have put in it feels like theft. Throwing some cash at some quality official merchandise seems a good idea to me.

Amiami? Yes, I'd say they are. When I first started importing stuff a year or so ago, (well, mostly figurines.... ehehe) Amiami was always one of the first reccomendations. I've ordered tons of stuff from them without any issues. Though, they're already sold out of the little pillows. The soundtrack is still available, though.

Do note, they don't like to cancel orders.

Rank change! S+

I don't pay much attention to rank or wins/losses so this nearly caught me by surprise. I happened to look at my rank this morning and I was S97. I thank Dome/Camp Rainmaker for all the wins recently. Run speed is great on these stages and I have been running Splattershot Jr or Splooshamatic with full run speed.

Edit: hopped right back in and had my first "sigh" moment as I am paired with A rank players that apparently never look at map and possibly have never played Moray Towers before.

You are my new enemy :mad:
jk
Splat jr. and Splooshes have been eating me up in ranked lately, I need to learn to adjust or I'll never get out of S rank. I would probably help a lot if I could solve my splat bomb blindness issue, I swear that I hear the things but never see them until it's too late.

Congrats on reaching S+ btw!
random new nintendo of Europe tweet

Mr Sakaguchi's roller game is strong. #Splatoon

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/641250173306449920

Guess he's working overtime
If he wanted to demonstrate his strong roller game he should be jumping up in the air and then turning sideways like every other roller online lately -_-

Don't turn on your Bubbler in the middle of four enemies. You will play pinball, and you are the ball. :^)

No, do turn your bubbler on in the middle of four enemies but then use it to haul your ass out of there (or at least go find backup to share it with). I keep turning mine on in a crowd as if it's going to last long enough to slaughter everyone when it never does. I'm pretty sure that it wears down faster if being shot like the splash wall.

UK eh? Just remember to know what you are in for when importing.

The £15 limit is tight (paying the VAT is one thing but the £8 Royal Mail handling fee is complete robbery if you ask me). Having the retailer declare it as a gift so you have the £36 value limit instead is essentially a form of mail fraud (as gifts are only meant to be sent between private individuals) and could be seen as equivalent to lying about the value completely.

Zing

Banned
Smart use of bubble is key. Knowing when to go for kill and when to run. I tried boosting duration up but it isn't significantly lengthened. I went back to special charge up to get bubble more often. In ranked, I am able to have it ready to go almost every time I get into a firefight. It is great for everything but Tower Control. The bubble allows me to be constantly spraying ink and moving.

ffdgh

Much appreciated all.

It's not finished until you're S+ 99
Congrats
Congrats, in record time too. You're only 31 points behind me and will most likely beat me to S+ at my rate :(

Edit: Damn you Shark!
Nope I'm "done" for a bit.

And you're not wearing the Blue Moto Boots, good good.
Quick respawn and comback worked almost too well and a bit of rng luck throwing in 3 quick super jump subs from level ups.
YA0suCz.jpg

Geg

In case you stopped watching once the first match was over, they had a rematch against Azure's team immediately after.

Top Bottom