• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

If I were to create a private battle and a friend joined, would friends of the friend be able to join as well provided I didn't set a password?

I don't know if we're wii u friends.... I'm Incite

Looks like I had two people just join

Edit: shit I closed it accidentally....rejoin Vecks and Goya if you're reading this :)

Edit 2: we have 3 again....should we wait for 1 more? Or just beat up on the best player? Haha

Edit 3: haha I didn't know what to do with it when I had it......now I know :)

I don't know how to distribute 5 peeps haha

Let's see how that works ;)

Edit: I'm very very bad at splat zones

Edit: I'm bad at everything! :) I have to learn that new map and everything, thanks for playing guys.

ss-hikaru

When you kill five people in a row on the tower in TC as they pour in and nobody else on your team hops on the tower to join the fight.

Seven point loss because we were all S, they were all A. siiiiiiiigh.

I love jumping on the tower :3

But but...we might die! They probably don't know it moves faster with more people either lol.

Yeah whenever I join someone on the tower they usually jump off :(

Bulbasaur

Banned
Checked my time played and it's 160 hours... Whether or not that's a good thing I'm not sure but I can't remember the last game I logged this much time on.

Also I just noticed for the first time that the Skate Park is loosely based on Sydney Australia - The Harbour Bridge and Centennial tower in the background! I have an eye for detail it seems lol

Oh wow.. the part where
the Inkling turned squid form in the underwater part even though they can't swim
had me grinning from ear to ear. I needed that after this morning's losses!

They should rename Rainmaker to "Heartbreaker". I swear there's a built-in mechanic that makes the other team's stats double in the last 20 seconds of the game or something. One game on Flounder Heights we had it to 8 points but the carrier decided the existing path to the goal wasn't wide enough for their liking and needed a few extra pixels and fired the Rainmaker. They failed and we got wiped.

So we defended for the next 4 minutes... until they broke our lines. With 20 seconds left the rest of my team decided to 3-on-1 an enemy while their carrier and two others made a beeline for our base. Despite my "C'mon"s my team decided to keep holding the roof and the enemies 3-on-1'd me at our base, I fell easily, and they won by KO. Now I'm looking at going down to A.

Exile20

Great! I still haven't played rainmaker at all and apparently I keep missing the times its in rotation. Anyone want to play rainmaker? :D

Join the Discord channel to voice chat and squad up easily.

Check the link for details

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=174018831

Please quote to see the Discord invitation
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
QUOTE ME!!!
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

StAidan

Sigh, looks like between yesterday and today, Discord has become a blocked service at work. Nooooooo!

I can still see it on my phone of course, but it's not the same.

Luigi87

Losing streak making me drop quickly through A-... I don't get it when I get teams where I pick up the Rainmaker, and all three teammates, who are alive, abandon me and go the other (usually longer path) way... Seriously, at least one person should help the carrier...

Edit: Holy crap I keep losing it overtime -_-, we'll have it like the whole match, and then they get it for overtime and the team just falls apart.

Geg

Losing streak making me drop quickly through A-... I don't get it when I get teams where I pick up the Rainmaker, and all three teammates, who are alive, abandon me and go the other (usually longer path) way... Seriously, at least one person should help the carrier...

This is the reason I stopped playing tower control with randoms.

Nah guys just let me ride the tower into enemy territory alone while the three of you stay back in the center of the stage it's fine

Edit: Holy crap I keep losing it overtime -_-, we'll have it like the whole match, and then they get it for overtime and the team just falls apart.

Yeah, I had to take a break from S ranks after 3 heartbreaking OT losses in a row. I really hate how the OT rules work, especially in RM.

Luigi87

Down to A- 19/100 now -_-, I was A yesterday, sigh...

Yeah, I had to take a break from S ranks after 3 heartbreaking OT losses in a row. I really hate how the OT rules work, especially in RM.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the OT system in Rainmaker. Why is it also that sometimes when no one is holding it (yet say your team has a massive lead) it goes into OT and the enemy can recover it, yet another time (say the enemy team has a lead) and no one is holding it and it just ends?

Yeah I'm not a fan of the OT system in Rainmaker. Why is it also that sometimes when no one is holding it (yet say your team has a massive lead) it goes into OT and the enemy can recover it, yet another time (say the enemy team has a lead) and no one is holding it and it just ends?

I found out after those losses that one of the RM rules is that if the leading team loses the RM within a few seconds of the match ending it triggers OT. I was wondering why in one of the matches my team blew up the shield but no one grabbed it. I was afraid that the other team would just rush in and take it before the shield regenerated so I picked it up and the other team promptly splatted me which triggered OT and we lost. I could practically see my teammates freaking out as I picked it up too but I didn't understand why -_-

Luigi87

I found out after those losses that one of the RM rules is that if the leading team loses the RM within a few seconds of the match ending it triggers OT. I was wondering why in one of the matches my team blew up the shield but no one grabbed it. I was afraid that the other team would just rush in and take it before the shield regenerated so I picked it up and the other team promptly splatted me which triggered OT and we lost. I could practically see my teammates freaking out as I picked it up too but I didn't understand why -_-

Oh jeez, that's really how that works?
Ugh, good to know though for future reference.

I wonder when will Nintendo fix those ultimate defense spots in RM mode. Get the lead, grab the RM, retreat to the spot and let enemy splat you and win, since enemies can barely reach those places near your base. I always thought people wont do this strategy since it's not fun and it's cheap, until I lost one S rank match because of it. I've seen dome, mall and camp having those kind of spot.

Zing

Banned
I wonder when will Nintendo fix those ultimate defense spots in RM mode. Get the lead, grab the RM, retreat to the spot and let enemy splat you and win, since enemies can barely reach those places near your base. I always thought people wont do this strategy since it's not fun and it's cheap, until I lost one S rank match because of it. I've seen dome, mall and camp having those kind of spot.
The only stage that I feel this is really a problem is Port Mackerel. The other stages are reasonably accessible. The right side of each spawn area on Mackerel is virtually impossible to reach, as you have to walk within mere steps of the enemy spawn to reach. The enemies can literally stand in their spawn safe spot and defend. It can be fixed by adding a box along the hallway. There is a box on the other side already, so I womder why one wasn't added to both.

nom

The only stage that I feel this is really a problem is Port Mackerel. The other stages are reasonably accessible. The right side of each spawn area on Mackerel is virtually impossible to reach, as you have to walk within mere steps of the enemy spawn to reach. The enemies can literally stand in their spawn safe spot and defend. It can be fixed by adding a box along the hallway. There is a box on the other side already, so I womder why one wasn't added to both.

and Kelp Dome, had it done to me today when they had a 1 point lead :(

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm27020065

Yeah, map reconfigs and rule changes are probably incoming.

I think the simplest way to fix this, and people may disagree, is your team gets 60 seconds to get the RM to the pedestal or you lose all your points. Once the game goes into OT then it can be based on who got it the farthest.

That may end up leading to other exploits by simply waiting until the end of the match to move it though.

Luigi87

I wonder if it'll be possible to balance team weapons... Probably not.

I'm just not fond of being on a team of three rollers in Tower Control. Rainmaker and Splatzones I can sort of deal, but TC...

ffdgh

This explains so much.
I had this happen on trigger fish today. Other team had the lead and climbed up that long wooden wall near their spawn point and left the rain maker up there. Spent around 2 minues just trying to reach the darn thing. Got it eventually but lost anyway.

phanphare

Banned
Yeah, map reconfigs and rule changes are probably incoming.

I think the simplest way to fix this, and people may disagree, is your team gets 60 seconds to get the RM to the pedestal or you lose all your points. Once the game goes into OT then it can be based on who got it the farthest.

That may end up leading to other exploits by simply waiting until the end of the match to move it though.

a rainmaker mode with multiple possessions per match would be pretty cool. best of 5 or something like that.

StAidan

I know the hidden matchmaking rules are somewhat based on balancing out users' play styles, but yeah, it feels like weapon types aren't part of the equation at all. And the resulting teams are often so lopsided that you know which one will win before you leave your spawn point.

I don't know what it is about my play style that makes the game think that I never need to be paired with a sniper, but it results in what I estimate to be an 75% loss rate on Moray Towers. Even when there are 2 snipers in the 8-man group, they are nearly always, without fail, both assigned to the other team. If they happen to suck then we win (happens a lot in turf war), but the A or S ranks, well, not so much.

Robotguy

I know the hidden matchmaking rules are somewhat based on balancing out users' play styles, but yeah, it feels like weapon types aren't part of the equation at all. And the resulting teams are often so lopsided that you know which one will win before you leave your spawn point.

I don't know what it is about my play style that makes the game think that I never need to be paired with a sniper, but it results in what I estimate to be an 75% loss rate on Moray Towers. Even when there are 2 snipers in the 8-man group, they are nearly always, without fail, both assigned to the other team. If they happen to suck then we win (happens a lot in turf war), but the A or S ranks, well, not so much.
The game always seems to put me against snipers without one of my own. IDK if it's real, of if it's confirmation bias, but it bothers me.
And then when it does put me with a sniper it puts me with 3 of them on skatepark...

The game always seems to put me against snipers without one of my own. IDK if it's real, of if it's confirmation bias, but it bothers me.
And then when it does put me with a sniper it puts me with 3 of them on skatepark...

This only really bothers me when there's two snipers and the put them both on the same team on a sniper friendly map... which happens way too often. A single sniper in the lobby ending up on the opposite team does seem super common but I guess that's the luck of the draw.

I do know that Nintendo isn't the type to leave things to chance, there's a lot of stuff in their games that seem random but are actually carefully coded. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they deliberately code the matchmaking to create unbalanced teams for people as they get closer to leveling up. It definitely places you into lobbies with multiple ranks more often when you get closer to leveling up based on my experience.

ChrisD

Dear S Rank Players, please hop on the tower at least once in the game.
Signed, an actually A Rank player who knows simpleton knowledge like this.

Edit: No really, nobody cares about your freaking 3/0 record if we lost to a single ride KO.
Edit immediately after edit: PLEASE

Pikma

Banned
This only really bothers me when there's two snipers and the put them both on the same team on a sniper friendly map... which happens way too often. A single sniper in the lobby ending up on the opposite team does seem super common but I guess that's the luck of the draw.

I do know that Nintendo isn't the type to leave things to chance, there's a lot of stuff in their games that seem random but are actually carefully coded. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they deliberately code the matchmaking to create unbalanced teams for people as they get closer to leveling up. It definitely places you into lobbies with multiple ranks more often when you get closer to leveling up based on my experience.

Yup, there's an actual matchmaking system behind the scenes, that's for sure, it may or may not always work in your favor but it's definitely there.

Oh and the game definitely tries to screw you over when you get closer to the next rank. DEFINITELY

Top Bottom