• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

DaBoss

This is how OT is determined in Rainmaker:
If the winning team just lost the rainmaker before the timer is up, OT will begin. If the losing team still has the rainmaker when the timer is up, OT will begin. If the losing team lost the rainmaker before the timer is up, OT will not begin unless they get the rainmaker back.

-----------
Can someone please translate this (and his name) for me? Thanks in advance.
Im4Gi2C.jpg

Geg

This is how OT is determined in Rainmaker:

-----------
Can someone please translate this (and his name) for me? Thanks in advance.
Im4Gi2C.jpg

"I'm S Rank! Would you like to become friends?"

lol his name literally just means collecting/recruiting friends (Friend Boshuu)

ChrisD

Teams spawn in and we have two Luna Blasters
Enemy team spawns in and they have four E-Liters on Skatepark Tower control

:lol:

Doorman

Speaking of hidden matchmaking, has there been much speculation about whether the vibe meter potentially plays a role or not? I kind of wonder if you get into a room and start to consistently roll it if the matchmaking tries to sneak higher-level or similarly high-vibe players onto the opposing team to try and balance everybody out that way.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Huge GGs to the GAF discord squads I played with yesterday. I feel the use of voice chat helped more than it hindered, even if it wasn't quite enough against some of those S+ squads we faced. Looking forward to more. : )

The only stage that I feel this is really a problem is Port Mackerel. The other stages are reasonably accessible.

Actually, ever since Nintendo fixed the Arowana Wall glitch down the side corriodors, the one-way drop down ledge has actually become a viable camping point for the team currently holding the lead.

CORL8UbUcAAQ3A5.png

Like Port, this can only be physically accessed by enemy players going through your base (shown by the pink line arrow in the image above). There's also the infamous Saltspray Rig camping point at the top of the map, as well as the L-shaped side corridor coming out of your base on Walleye Warehouse.

The fact that RM camp points exist in several of the current maps suggests to me that either Nintendo didn't anticipate people to "lame" it out with these strategies (as tonyh24613 suggests), or its a deliberate design choice (unlikely?). EDIT: Third possibility. With Nintendo implementing the rapid countdown timer if you retreat too far back from the position where you gained the RM, perhaps they thought such strategies wouldn't be possible?

I think the simplest way to fix this, and people may disagree, is your team gets 60 seconds to get the RM to the pedestal or you lose all your points. Once the game goes into OT then it can be based on who got it the farthest.

One alternative might be is that if the no team regains possession of the rainmaker after 30-60 seconds, it resets back to the middle of the map.

ChrisD

Dropping the RM counter down to 45 seconds seems like it would go a long way in stopping hyper defensive play. That or just drop it to 30 seconds for the last minute.

I know the hidden matchmaking rules are somewhat based on balancing out users' play styles, but yeah, it feels like weapon types aren't part of the equation at all. And the resulting teams are often so lopsided that you know which one will win before you leave your spawn point.
+
Speaking of hidden matchmaking, has there been much speculation about whether the vibe meter potentially plays a role or not? I kind of wonder if you get into a room and start to consistently roll it if the matchmaking tries to sneak higher-level or similarly high-vibe players onto the opposing team to try and balance everybody out that way.
Stuff I know about the hidden matchmaking:
-In turf wars ignores levels but uses kills, deaths and turf inked. (Japanese source of that post, said to be from Nintendo Dream)
-Likely to be a 32 bit hash/seed in the save file (this might not be all the data but a key to something else)

It is unclear if it comes into play in ranked at all. I mean ranks are meant to do that in ranked. Also it leaves question as to when it comes into play. Is it room allocation or team allocation once in room (neither make sense givens the matches I've had at times).

J@hranimo

Banned
So I've tweeted NOA's official twitter in a desperate outcry nice manner for any possible Friend list cap raise.

I'm not removing my friends irl, but adding new peeps here in SplatGAF is getting tough...

ChrisD

My continued luck of S+ being on my side feeling like a B player continues. All I can assume is that they were playing a weapon they don't know. There's no reason for you to go 2/11 as a .96 Deco, come on broseph.

ChrisD

My luck tonight is absolute trash. Typically I get competent RM teammates. Tonight I get two S+ that don't know the enemies can take the side path on Camp. Me and the A rank were trying to fend off four people walking up the netting, while the two S+ were inking the main path; where they tried to run the RM previously. >_>

Pikma

Banned
My luck tonight is absolute trash. Typically I get competent RM teammates. Tonight I get two S+ that don't know the enemies can take the side path on Camp. Me and the A rank were trying to fend off four people walking up the netting, while the two S+ were inking the main path; where they tried to run the RM previously. >_>
I have no idea why but sometimes I feel like A+ players are more consistent. Like I know there some S+ that can completely tilt matches all by themselves but then there are others that really fucking suck.

ChrisD

I have no idea why but sometimes I feel like A+ players are more consistent. Like I know there some S+ that can completely tilt matches all by themselves but then there are others that really fucking suck.

The easiest way to determine which is which is by checking who was on your team.*

I just don't see how it's even possible. You can get carried to A+, you can get carried to S, but the + is all on you. So how the * do you make it to S+ like that? A different weapon really is the only thing I can assume.

*In Random lobbies

StAidan

Does your streaming have anything to do with you being the only one stuttering, jerking around, and occasionally walking backward on my screen? :D

Haha, I hope not. Haven't had any trouble with that so far. Those room-wide disconnections were caused by something though. And I did notice plenty of lag myself.

ChrisD

Has already been posted, but still just as awesome! (Or should I say fresh?) At roughly $20 it's a steal, import costs notwithstanding.

Just want to stop by and thank everyone for introducing me to this game. It's been a long time since I played a shooter that doesn't turn me into a foaming with rage-induced kraken-type of creature whenever I'm losing. That being said, it's nice to do a team wipe against some Level 30+ Inklings while I'm only Level 9. ^-^

ChrisD

Just want to stop by and thank everyone for introducing me to this game. It's been a long time since I played a shooter that doesn't turn me into a foaming with rage-induced kraken-type of creature whenever I'm losing. That being said, it's nice to do a team wipe against some Level 30+ Inklings while I'm only Level 9. ^-^

Have you set up a Discord account yet? Once you get to Level 10 and unlock Ranked mode, you can squad up and play with other GAF members. The fastest way to do that is through Discord's chat. I don't use it often enough, but there's almost always someone to play with.

Everything you need to get in can be found by quoting the second post. It takes three minutes. ^^

Have you set up a Discord account yet? Once you get to Level 10 and unlock Ranked mode, you can squad up and play with other GAF members. The fastest way to do that is through Discord's chat. I don't use it often enough, but there's almost always someone to play with.

Everything you need to get in can be found by quoting the second post. It takes three minutes. ^^

I have not yet! I'll go ahead and set things up tonight. Thanks!

Robotguy

So, Gaf's team NSTC has been ranked 7th best clan on squidboards by people who I take it are an authority on the subject. We're aiming for the number one spot of course. We have at least one tournament in the next few weeks where we'll be working to raise our rankings.

http://squidboards.com/threads/splatoon-power-rankings.7617/

That's just cause you haven't played ranked yet. :p

Azure J

Good show NTSC. :)

Damn, I kinda wish if I had joined up for IoS now.

Fake Edit: I will also eternally be amused/enamored with the clan name "Tentacle Difficulties".

Robotguy

Good show NTSC. :)

Damn, I kinda wish if I had joined up for IoS now.

Fake Edit: I will also eternally be amused/enamored with the clan name "Tentacle Difficulties".

we're having some tentacle difficulties
how about we play 1 3v4 then he'll join the next game
cool?
Actual quote from Tentacle difficulties team when arranging matches with me.

Heng

Give it time, you'll end up like what you've feared once you've played ranked long enough. I'm glad you're enjoying the game though, as ChrisD has said you should set up a discord account. Majority of SplatGAF has already made accounts there and it's much easier to set up squads and privates there.

Also congrats NSTC, you guys worked hard for that rank.

ChrisD

So, Gaf's team NSTC has been ranked 7th best clan on squidboards by people who I take it are an authority on the subject. We're aiming for the number one spot of course. We have at least one tournament in the next few weeks where we'll be working to raise our rankings.

That's awesome! Is there anywhere to watch your previous tournament matches?

WALKMAN04

If we're playing me, Sendou and Robotguy normally stream it on Twitch. I upload them to YouTube afterwards too, here's a match against SS-S (no. 1 ranked clan) from our most recent tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK3VrwDudN0

we lost 3-0 but I thought we did ok :p
Ugh I played so bad except that last game, couldn't hit shit the first two matches that round, wish you captured how I got the lead in that walleye match, expert burst bomb dashing, looked so good on my screen. Maybe Robotguy has footage of it.

I'm still calling it sniper fatigue, after 6 hours of sniping it's hard to aim straight with your hands shaking, I'm sure Ezreal felt it too 1-2 is far worse than a sniper of his caliber should perform at.

DaBoss

SquidBoards mobile sucks. Congrats to you guys. I wish they detailed how they determined these ranks. They should use some sort of seeding similar to what they use in round robins where it looks at who you won against and lost against in individual matches in tournaments. It seems they don't do that eight now. Also, what is Guardian Gaming?

lmao at giving the mess known as IoS more weight because of "prestige".

The only tournies they should give more weight to are ones organized on SquidBoards over IRL or off-site tournaments because that's what this whole ranking crap should be about. What teams that are on SquidBoards place at compared to each other in tournaments where they could actually compete against each other.

There is no prestige any tournament could possibly have right now. And with how poorly run and delayed IoS has been, it should have significantly less weight.

WALKMAN04

SquidBoards mobile sucks. Congrats to you guys. I wish they detailed how they determined these ranks. They should use some sort of seeding similar to what they use in round robins where it looks at who you won against and lost against in individual matches in tournaments. It seems they don't do that eight now. Also, what is Guardian Gaming?

The only tournies they should give more weight to are ones organized on SquidBoards over IRL or off-site tournaments because that's what this whole ranking crap should be about. What teams that are on SquidBoards place at compared to each other in tournaments where they could actually compete against each other.

There is no prestige any tournament could possibly have right now. And with how poorly run and delayed IoS has been, it should have significantly less weight.
Thanks, guardian gaming is a clan that during booyah battle made a lot of noise for themselves by easily making it to the grand finals, however none of their team matches were streamed so they were a huge mystery. They do have 3 members of Hard Body Swag Force,
my favorite clan name, but they don't exist anymore apparently
, HBSF was good but I don't think they were regarded as anything special so Guardian Gaming may be seen as a little better than they actually are for now, only time will tell if they are the real deal. I agree that the ink or sink tournament should be regarded as less prestigious, our ranking would have shot up as that was our worst performance finishing 16th out of 64. Also as others posted on squidboards clans have changed dramatically since then, for one James Master A1 and I weren't even on the team back then, and we were 3/4 of the players that made up our lineup in the last tournament. Also we are ranked below DEG just because they performed highly in ink or sink, so we can move up pretty easily if we perform well in the next tournament since I know we are better than them after Sendou and others destroyed them in friendly games.

Robotguy

Yeah, the rankings system does not seem to be particularly rigorous or sensible. Don't see how someone thought they should give prestige based only on number of entrants. But hey, at least we got recognition!

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Thanks, guardian gaming is a clan that during booyah battle made a lot of noise for themselves by easily making it to the grand finals, however none of their team matches were streamed so they were a huge mystery. They do have 3 members of Hard Body Swag Force,
my favorite clan name, but they don't exist anymore apparently
, HBSF was good but I don't think they were regarded as anything special so Guardian Gaming may be seen as a little better than they actually are for now, only time will tell if they are the real deal. I agree that the ink or sink tournament should be regarded as less prestigious, our ranking would have shot up as that was our worst performance finishing 16th out of 64. Also as others posted on squidboards clans have changed dramatically since then, for one James Master A1 and I weren't even on the team back then, and we were 3/4 of the players that made up our lineup in the last tournament. Also we are ranked below DEG just because they performed highly in ink or sink, so we can move up pretty easily if we perform well in the next tournament since I know we are better than them after Sendou and others destroyed them in friendly games.

I watched a set with them against meme containment unit.
http://youtu.be/B8Dw9SejPGM

I think cutest fish is the player to watch out for on their team

And yea, I didn't understand how DEG was ranked higher because of one tournament, while NSTC had some consistent results in multiple tournaments. Btw, I heard there's a tourney hosted by nintendome with a 200$ prize pool. Is NSTC competing in that?

Robotguy

And yea, I didn't understand how DEG was ranked higher because of one tournament, while NSTC had some consistent results in multiple tournaments. Btw, I heard there's a tourney hosted by nintendome with a 200$ prize pool. Is NSTC competing in that?
As of right now we're only signed up for Calamari Cup September 19th-20th.
But I think we'll probably sign up for the Nintendome tournament.

Geg

Who exactly is NSTC now? It seems like it's kind of become a few core members like Robotguy + a larger pool of gaffers to pull from

oh hey some ranking of squads on Squidboards and shit

don't worry I can do this too

1. Squid Squad Spades

....who cares about the rest right Kappa

WALKMAN04

Thanks for the footage, the whole round is there so I will check that out. We plan to play in every tournament, schedule permitting, we keep track of it all, well James and burnburn do, nintendome is definitely going to be a big tournament as far as the ranking system is concerned so we want to take a top spot in that one.
Who exactly is NSTC now? It seems like it's kind of become a few core members like Robotguy + a larger pool of gaffers to pull from
We currently have 10 members 5 for NA and 5 EU, NA is me, Robotguy, Totakeke, Heng( recently added to the group) and Goya EU is James, Sendou, Burnburn, Master A1 and Starstrive who has been gone for a while. We will hopefully be expanding soon, so we have more people available at certain times.

Edit: Robots list is in alphabetical order though so obviously you should go by his lol

Robotguy

Right now we have me, Burnburn, Goya, Heng, James, Master A1, Sendou, StarStrive, Totakeke, and WALKMAN04.

KeigoNiwa

That horrifying moment when you're trying to climb the A ranks in Splatoon, when you see the largest spider crawling on the floor of your room.

Nope, sorry team, can't cope, turns off Wii U, I'm out!!!!

Top Bottom