• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Is it possible to get an item with identical sub skills when requesting through Spyke?
To add to what everybody else said. It will cost 100,000 for 3 identical subs if he does find it so have the money ready. You don't want to have the item there and be unable to afford it.

I haven't played this in a while because of Super Mario Maker. Is the game ruined by online hackers now? :/
This is so far one isolated incident of one hacker ignoring advice given out months ago that octolings+plaza=softlock so don't do it in public games. It is careless coding from Nintendo really to deliberately add Octolings as a valid player ID in v2.0.0 (previously one had to change the model files the game reads so all inklings were octolings) but have this lockup caveat and also not to fix it in v2.0.1 (at which time a part of Nintendo is at least aware of hacks being possible youtube videos show unreleased content were issued with C&D).

As for it becoming widespread. Not too likely. Anyone with a 5.3.2 firmware Wii U (this firmware in months old and requires using DNS servers to block Nintendo updates, the game updates can be loaded separately due to being publicly encrypted) can potentially do the same thing. You've only been able to get and install the update externally while on that firmware for about a week so most Splatoon players will be on a higher firmware where this can not be done.

Geg

I love how the message that he killed that guy still doesn't show up until right near the end of the clip. That's nearly 7 full seconds of lag

Also the guy deserved it for using the mini splatling with two run speed up mains
Kappa

edit: Splatoon is now the fastest-selling Wii U game in Japan, finally passing Mario Kart 8 after 18 weeks: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=180341852&postcount=7

MK8 received a huge boost for the holiday season in 2014 so it's still not close to passing its total lifetime sales, but wow.

This game came in the mail last thursday... wish i started playing it then. ive been playing it all morning, really didnt think id be into this game like that. Just wish that there were more maps in rotation.

Zing

Banned
Wow, it has been a long time since we heard the "need more maps and/or faster rotation"!

In other words, welcome to the game. :) Walls don't count. Use my beakons.

Wow, it has been a long time since we heard the "need more maps and/or faster rotation"!

In other words, welcome to the game. :) Walls don't count. Use my beakons.

I remembered seeing that somewhere els, so after my 3rd game i stopped messing with walls unless i needed to climb.

StAidan

After matchmaking screwed me down to rank S 1 last night, I needed to remind myself why I still enjoy maining Octobrush. So here is an example of something funny I manage to do whenever the RNG smiles upon my brush strokes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLRKRIn89SE

It still surprises me every time, and I'm sure it makes my enemies rather salty as well.

Naar

is there an audio issue with this game? I just played it for the first time since MGSV came out and i can barely hear my shots being fired and there is no sound effect when i press Y to center button or when i go into squid form and swim through ink.

Just a few hours ago i was playing Mario Maker just fine. So wanted to know what was up with Splatoon since i didnt touch it in weeks

Ok, now I want to know how I can back up my saves...

Reading the previous page... If I saw an octoling an turned off my WiiU then the game wouldn't make the octoling player appear on my plaza?

doop_

Banned
Just encountered someone i played with in splatfest, the player is called Phipsy. We went on a ten game streak but sadly we still lost the fest.

Robotguy

They also made mention to some glitch in hammerhead. I doubt that's isolated.
The Hammerhead glitch enables people to got out of bounds. People can abuse it in rainmaker games, but it won't corrupt your game or anything. It will probably be patched soon like like the mall and triggerfish exploits that people found.

After matchmaking screwed me down to rank S 1 last night, I needed to remind myself why I still enjoy maining Octobrush. So here is an example of something funny I manage to do whenever the RNG smiles upon my brush strokes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLRKRIn89SE

It still surprises me every time, and I'm sure it makes my enemies rather salty as well.
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Cleave
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Great_Cleave
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Ultimate_Cleave_(3.5e_Feat)

So stacked :p Do you normally use a lot of damage ups with Octobrush?

is there an audio issue with this game? I just played it for the first time since MGSV came out and i can barely hear my shots being fired and there is no sound effect when i press Y to center button or when i go into squid form and swim through ink.

Just a few hours ago i was playing Mario Maker just fine. So wanted to know what was up with Splatoon since i didnt touch it in weeks
I don't think there is? Maybe you need to turn up the audio a little more? I know that pressing Y doesn't have any sound effect.

Ok, now I want to know how I can back up my saves...

Reading the previous page... If I saw an octoling an turned off my WiiU then the game wouldn't make the octoling player appear on my plaza?
I believe that would be the case, since the game doesn't save the players to your plaza until the match is over. Or at least that's what I recall O_O

ChrisD

How is it possible to lose two games in a row where you team-wipe? Do I have to kill, ink a path, AND carry the Rainmaker?

Wait, I somehow missed the unreleased content shenanigans. I rounded out September, perhaps I should take a break until that's fixed. Wouldn't be the first time I've had an online game brick me due to others messing with stuff. :/

jariw

I think the issue is that Splatoon uses surround sound, while your audio system is only stereo. Configuring your sound system to stereo in the system configuration should solve it.

I believe that would be the case, since the game doesn't save the players to your plaza until the match is over. Or at least that's what I recall O_O

Ok, I think's better to be aware of the possibility that some cheaters may want to mess around with others.

How is it possible to lose two games in a row where you team-wipe? Do I have to kill, ink a path, AND carry the Rainmaker?

Yes, you have to. :/

Yesterday I went down one rank because I ended up playing with a team of competent players (or so I thought). We lost almost all our matches during the last minute so I thought it was just bad luck. But then during a match I was the only player actively trying to stop the opposite team from riding the tower, when they killed me three or four of them where on the tower and my teammates were inking their base... Totally unaware we were about to lose the match... After that I just went to the plaza. Eventually regained my rank... But it's been a pain playing ranked matches. I just started to care about ranked battles recently.

CO_Andy

I'm getting very far in S Ranked using the Splat Charger in an unorthodox way; instead of shooting i'm just chucking splat bombs to do my killing.

If you're a coward like me and can't aim, then this style is surprisingly effective. Off course you'll need a lot of ink saver subs or ink recovery.

StAidan

Yeah, I do now. I'd always heard it made a difference, but I always assumed it was a pretty small one.

Then DaBoss pointed me to a reddit post with some solid test data, proving that 2 damage up mains + 3 subs can almost guarantee 2-3 hit kills (at critical distance) against anyone with less than 3 Defense Up mains. And based on my personal findings, I can get some amazing distance kills now that were extremely unlikely with my previous build (which was based on special charge up + quick respawn).

It's a little painful dedicating so many slots to damage up, but it's those triple-kill moments (which happen a few times almost every day) that remind me why I need it.

I'm getting very far in S Ranked using the Splat Charger in an unorthodox way; instead of shooting i'm just chucking splat bombs to do my killing.

If you're a coward like me and can't aim, then this style is surprisingly effective. Off course you'll need a lot of ink saver subs or ink recovery.
If you're interested in a mostly bomb centric playstyle, have you tried using the Splash-o-Matic? The main weapon is fairly short ranged, but it fires fast so you can charge meter quickly, and Suction Bomb Rush is fairly devastating (moreso than Splat Bomb Rush imo). Admittedly the lack of range can become a problem, whereas with the Splat Charger your main weapon can still be used from a safe(r) distance.

Geg

It would probably would take a lot of effort to make that playstyle effective; I've played in splatfests with a couple of people who seemed to do nothing but run around with the splashomatic farming for suction bomb rush. They generally contributed very little

CO_Andy

If you're interested in a mostly bomb centric playstyle, have you tried using the Splash-o-Matic? The main weapon is fairly short ranged, but it fires fast so you can charge meter quickly, and Suction Bomb Rush is fairly devastating (moreso than Splat Bomb Rush imo). Admittedly the lack of range can become a problem, whereas with the Splat Charger your main weapon can still be used from a safe(r) distance.
I might try it, but the Splat Charger can cover way more ground quicker to build for bomb rush. Also, i don't find single Suction Bombs to be particularly effective in killing cause they're slow to detonate.

SM239

It would probably would take a lot of effort to make that playstyle effective; I've played in splatfests with a couple of people who seemed to do nothing but run around with the splashomatic farming for suction bomb rush. They generally contributed very little

With a a lot of special charge ups you can chain suction bomb rushes into each other. I have a build based around super charged suction bomb rushes and it works pretty well on some maps in turf. I treat it more as a joke build to annoy people with constant bomb rushes though.

Pikma

Banned
Something's going on with my GamePad's right stick lately, which is actually not my GamePad because mine is broken (right stick too actually) and a friend who wasn't using his WiiU lended it his to me.

What the fuck is wrong with my thumbs? I swear I take all the care in the world with my controllers, never hit them too hard, never drop them, always keep them clean and safe...

I would definitely only use the Splash-o-Matic on certain maps; I think it's best on maps which are fairly open and flat, such as Walleye Warehouse, Kelp Dome and Blackbelly Skatepark. I would not want to use it on Moray Towers or Port Mackerel, and I definitely would not use it on Camp Triggerfish.

It's also fairly volatile since charging and using the first Suction Bomb Rush is so important, along with not dying along the way, but my highest Turf War scores tend to be with the Splash-o-Matic.

Naar

I think the issue is that Splatoon uses surround sound, while your audio system is only stereo. Configuring your sound system to stereo in the system configuration should solve it.

im on 7.1 surround system. i have been playing splatoon since launch no issue. but today there is no sound effect for jumping, squid form, or when i walk on ink. also my shots sound very weak and very far away

The beauty of the laggy bomb rush was how all five bombs appeared at once and blew up in sync.

Some random musings:

I won't look down the Tri-slosher after having two rainmaker games where a user of one has the highest KO count of anyone. Man those matches made me feel I was being pulled up the ranks in that I went 3/11 in one :( I swear A- is a completely different world to B+.

Apparently Splatfests will clear out a plaza which means if anyone gets octoling'd they can wait until then. I also saw lots of panic in Inkopolis plaza over potential octolings as well. I'm wondering if the person who did it didn't know it caused problems and ceased after that (despite the first person to do it reporting problems).

They also made mention to some glitch in hammerhead. I doubt that's isolated.
This is the Hammerhead glitch:
Go left from here:
WVW69icISM0Jhypzqg

To reach:
WVW69icIN_UIzwn84X

WVW69icIXEcAQue95j
Also I'm told it only works from one side of the map. It has potential for rainmaker troubles but might be impractical to pull off.

It is certainly more harmful the the flounder heights lamp post thing:

SM239

Also I'm told it only works from one side of the map. It has potential for rainmaker troubles but might be impractical to pull off.

We tested this a while ago and it is very impractical to pull off. It can only really benefit you if you have all the following conditions:
- Spawn on the alpha side
- Get a lead of 22 paces or less
- Make it back to the beams on your side without the rainmaker blowing up on you (almost impossible without getting killed and picking the rainmaker up again in transit)
- Get killed by an enemy on the beams to drop the rainmaker down there as self-destructing or falling off will reset the rainmaker to the center of the map

With all the above conditions met bravo team cannot make a comeback ever.

As for the bravo team the area where you jump off is so close to the pedestal you might as well just go for the KO and alpha can reset the position anyway. I would still like to see it get patched though.

Naar

im on 7.1 surround system. i have been playing splatoon since launch no issue. but today there is no sound effect for jumping, squid form, or when i walk on ink. also my shots sound very weak and very far away

ok so i just did a test in the wii u settings menu and when i choose surround the sample noise rings 3 times, but when i choose stereo or mono it plays all 5 sounds

so a few days ago i bought an elgato hd60 to stream mario maker and after the settings test i unhooked it and hooked the wii u hdmi straight into my receiver like always and got the full sound back and can hear my gun etc

i put the elgato back on and connect it and i miss the sound.

anyone know what i can do to use both the elgato and get full sound ?

noshten

Finally something different than Rainmaker in Ranked, last two days whenever I had time it was just Rainmaker. I'd gladly take some Tower Control, although these two maps will need to be with a Roller, not good on Flounder with the chargers.

nom

i put the elgato back on and connect it and i miss the sound.

anyone know what i can do to use both the elgato and get full sound ?

I can't remember exactly but Elgato does something funky with the sound on it's HDMI pass through, what I do is just use a HDMI splitter and not bother using the pass through.

Naar

I can't remember exactly but Elgato does something funky with the sound on it's HDMI pass through, what I do is just use a HDMI splitter and not bother using the pass through.

i do have a splitter. will this effect the audio when i capture though? or will the full sound be there in the capture?

Zing

Banned
Sigh. Every match is just one of the teams dicking around on the girders in Hammerhead.

I seriously hope "quetzel" is not a Gaffer. He has ruined every match doing this. What an asshole.

RedFyn

Something's going on with my GamePad's right stick lately, which is actually not my GamePad because mine is broken (right stick too actually) and a friend who wasn't using his WiiU lended it his to me.

What the fuck is wrong with my thumbs? I swear I take all the care in the world with my controllers, never hit them too hard, never drop them, always keep them clean and safe...
Mine is messed up too but its only vertically challenged so it doesn't affect me in Splatoon

I am honestly surprised this thread is still alive i did not expect splatoon to have this strong of a player base.
Its actually much more active than it seems. Check out the 2nd post for info on our secret hideout.

ChrisD

Sigh. Every match is just one of the teams dicking around on the girders in Hammerhead.

I seriously hope "quetzel" is not a Gaffer. He has ruined every match doing this. What an asshole.

Is there even any point to it? Seems like people probably just like screwing around where they shouldn't be.

I did the same for about thirty minutes, but in Recon

Top Bottom