• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ss-hikaru

After matchmaking screwed me down to rank S 1 last night, I needed to remind myself why I still enjoy maining Octobrush. So here is an example of something funny I manage to do whenever the RNG smiles upon my brush strokes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLRKRIn89SE

It still surprises me every time, and I'm sure it makes my enemies rather salty as well.

Woah nice. Other than two damage up mains and I'm assuming 3 damage up subs what other abilities do you run? I'm still trying to learn Octobrush and not sure what kinda set up I should go for.

Sigh. Every match is just one of the teams dicking around on the girders in Hammerhead.

I seriously hope "quetzel" is not a Gaffer. He has ruined every match doing this. What an asshole.

That's really a shame. I love Hammerhead, it's too bad that an exploit has ruined it.

Pikma

Banned
Mine is messed up too but its only vertically challenged so it doesn't affect me in Splatoon

Its actually much more active than it seems. Check out the 2nd post for info on our secret hideout.
Mine still kinda works... but I don't want to end up making it worse so I'm gonna have to call Nintendo and order a new one from them (and send my friend's in for repair too if it's broken) so yeah, I'll have to leave Splatoon for a few weeks...

Is there a google calendar or something I can subscribe to that lets me know when the next splatfest will be? I kind of just want the dates and not extra stuff that a lot of Twitter accounts seem to be.

L95

I'm loving all the Octoling/hacker miiverse drawings lol

(Also cyberchase drawings, gosh, it's been so long since I've remembered that show.)

Lost more points today in rainmaker

Don't you hate it when you give your team a big advantage and they lose it so easily.
I think quite a few just don't check their map enough. Lost multiple times like that today.

69wpm

Point system as bad as ever:

Team 1: A+,A+,A+,A+
Team 2: A+,A+,S,A

Team 2 lost, -12 points.

Next situation:

Team 2: S,S,A+,A+

Team 1 wins, +10 points.

Bullshit. Lost against an equal team and I loose more points than I win for beating a superior team.

You can bookmark the tumblr page and check it every so often.

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

I appreciate the suggestion, but this is kind of the absolute exact opposite of what I'm looking for. That's a lot of noise, and even when filtering posts to just "#splatfest", it's still not giving me dates, but a lot of pictures and whatever.

I guess, I want the exact opposite of this. I want "Here's the next splatfest, time and date" and NOTHING else. :p

So it seems like leveling my gear through ranked may not be the most efficient.

While three weeks ago (keep in mind I play Splatoon roughly once or twice a week) I was shooting up the ranks to A- pretty easily and 3800 a game was nice. Now I seem to be trading wins and slowly going ever so down. Losing multiple games in a row.

Turf War meanwhile pays me at least 800 win or lose and I almost always win. That 1400 bonus from Judd isn't shabby.

It's just that because I'm fighting for really nothing in turf War except how quickly I level up it's kind of boring.

Would rather have Ranked give loses a little bonus too. There's nothing worse than going past 6 minutes for 0 points. It just defeats me.

Team 2 lost, -12 points.

Next situation:

Team 1 wins, +10 points.

Bullshit. Lost against an equal team and I loose more points than I win for beating a superior team.

I honestly have no idea how the point system works.

Pikma

Banned

Team 2 lost, -12 points.

Next situation:

Team 1 wins, +10 points.

Pffft that's nothing

Check this out:

Team 1: S,S,S,S
Team 2: A+,A+,A+,A+(<---disconnected since before the match started)

Team 1 wins, +4 points(!)

Team 1: S,A,A+,A+
Team 2: S,S,S,A+

Team 1 wins, +3 points

And I had pretty much the same points when both matches happened so that was not it.

69wpm

Pffft that's nothing

Check this out:

Team 1: S,S,S,S
Team 2: A+,A+,A+,A+(<---disconnected since before the match started)

Team 1 wins, +4 points(!)

Team 1: S,A,A+,A+
Team 2: S,S,S,A+

Team 1 wins, +3 points

And I had pretty much the same points when both matches happened so that was not it.

Yeah I don't get it anymore. In S rank I sometimes get 5 points although I won against a clearly inferior team. For example we were all S and they had 2 A+ and 2 A. So weird.

Anyway. What do you do in the last seconds of a match in Tower Control? You jump off the tower. YOLO.

Oh, if you're from Japan, you apparently can kill people after they've activated their bubbler. Lag ftw.

phanphare

Banned
I appreciate the suggestion, but this is kind of the absolute exact opposite of what I'm looking for. That's a lot of noise, and even when filtering posts to just "#splatfest", it's still not giving me dates, but a lot of pictures and whatever.

I guess, I want the exact opposite of this. I want "Here's the next splatfest, time and date" and NOTHING else. :p

they haven't announced the next splatfest yet

Geg

Oh, if you're from Japan, you apparently can kill people after they've activated their bubbler. Lag ftw.
I really don't understand lag/latency in this game. I've had a point where I shot someone and hit about 10 times before I finally saw them activate bubbler, so even though I shot them enough to kill them on my screen it doesn't matter because they had already activated bubbler on theirs.

October is here. Waiting for legit playable Octolings. It's been long enough.

Still don't see the big appeal in playable Octolings. Most headgear wouldn't even work with them.

Zing

Banned
Time to get into squads.
To be honest, I lose far more often with GAF squads than when playing solo. I assume people just aren't playing their best or taking it seriously since there is nothing to lose in squad. That and opposing squads are usually more skilled than opposing random teams.

69wpm

I really don't understand lag/latency in this game. I've had a point where I shot someone and hit about 10 times before I finally saw them activate bubbler, so even though I shot them enough to kill them on my screen it doesn't matter because they had already activated bubbler on theirs.

Still don't see the big appeal in playable Octolings. Most headgear wouldn't even work with them.

It's just a theory, but I suspect that Japanese players are closer to whatever server the game uses and have therefore an advantage.

Of course there are also those laggy players whom I can't kill at all or I need 3 blaster shots, which is ridiculous. Today I killed one guy (I heard that one-hit-ko-sound) and the game didn't even register the kill for me. He killed me, I killed him, but I didn't get a kill, lol.

StAidan

Woah nice. Other than two damage up mains and I'm assuming 3 damage up subs what other abilities do you run? I'm still trying to learn Octobrush and not sure what kinda set up I should go for.

My current loadout is:
Shoes: Plum Casuals (Damage Up + 3 swim speed subs)
Shirt: Anchor Sweatshirt (Cold Blooded + 3 damage up subs)
Head: Snorkel (Damage Up + 2 special duration up + 1 special saver)

Choices are actually kind of limited in the damage up build because (1) Cold Blooded is a 100% necessity, and (2) there are only so many decent sub biases for Damage Up hats and shoes. But swim speed is an amazing help for just about any weapon, so you can't go wrong with that, and enhancements to your special are pretty beneficial too -- even though I'd prefer something with special charge up subs.

Geg

Most of the time I squad with gaf we've won about 80% of the games we played which is way more successful than I usually am in solo ranked... except for my most recent session with Azure, DaBoss, and SM where we won about half. I think DaBoss and SM both being S+ attracted a lot more teams of mostly S+ clans and other hightly coordinated squads that I'm not used to dealing with

Though yeah I do think at S rank there's a bit more goofing off or experimentation with different weapons and gear due to having nothing to lose other than potential money.

ffdgh

Who wouldn't like more playable character options? I imagine they'd have to take some creative liberties for the various hats...or just do what they did for the male inklings lol.

There's a rumor that Japan is getting another collab splatfest next week, this time with some sushi restaurant?

Tiny and blur pic.
11.jpg

The restaurant.
http://www.kura-corpo.co.jp/

That's some stealth squid vs octopus fest.

Nico_D

Most of the time I squad with gaf we've won about 80% of the games we played

Generally, sounds about right - though some days we lose match after match after match. Nothing seems to work.

When getting into squads with GAF it may come as a surprise how there's team after team of S and S+ players, some of them good, some of them not so good. But I've learned a lot of them, especially when it comes to a faster pace.

Azure J

My current loadout is:
Shoes: Plum Casuals (Damage Up + 3 swim speed subs)
Shirt: Anchor Sweatshirt (Cold Blooded + 3 damage up subs)
Head: Snorkel (Damage Up + 2 special duration up + 1 special saver)

Choices are actually kind of limited in the damage up build because (1) Cold Blooded is a 100% necessity, and (2) there are only so many decent sub biases for Damage Up hats and shoes. But swim speed is an amazing help for just about any weapon, so you can't go wrong with that, and enhancements to your special are pretty beneficial too -- even though I'd prefer something with special charge up subs.

I'm very curious to see what you'll be running when Octo Noveau drops. I never felt like Cold Blooded was a mandatory level ability to have with brush when I used to play vanilla Inkbrush (though Cold Blooded is still a very nice "just in case" ability to have), but I'm also open to new ideas. My two current theory builds for Noveau are

Tentatek Sun Visor (Bomb Toss Up Main/3 Ink Recovery Ups)
Takoroka Red Vector Tee (Ink Saver Main/3 Special Charge Ups)
Krak-On Red Hi Tops (Ink Resist Main/3 Swim Speed Ups)

Idea behind this one is to harass with bomb pressure, lessen the Inkzooka cost with Special Charge Ups, get a bit more mileage in both ink usage between Ink Saver Main & Ink Recovery and mobility with the aforementioned Ink Recovery & Swim Speed Up. The second idea is:

Squidforce White Headband (Ink Recovery Up Main/3 Damage Up Subs)
Takoroka Red Vector Tee (Ink Saver Main/3 Special Charge Ups Subs)
Krak-On Red Hi Tops (Ink Resistance/3 Swim Speed Ups)

Trading bomb range for a more consistent two shot chance here. Honestly, I see myself going with the former though because even one bomb toss up allows for a lot more potential harrassment. That and it looks cooler on my inkling. :lol

In the event that I want to mess around with other universal builds I have, I could also use my recent "Urban" look:

Skalop Squidvader Cap (Special Charge Up Main/2 Ink Saver Mains + 1 Ink Recovery Up)
Firefin Dark Urban Vest (Cold Blooded/3 Ink Saver Subs)
Tentatek Neon Sea Slugs (Ink Resistance/3 Ink Recovery Ups)

StAidan

I'm very curious to see what you'll be running when Octo Noveau drops. I never felt like Cold Blooded was a mandatory level ability to have with brush when I used to play vanilla Inkbrush (though Cold Blooded is still a very nice "just in case" ability to have), but I'm also open to new ideas. My two current theory builds for Noveau are

[...]

Since the Noveau will suddenly give brush a couple of range options, I'd definitely consider swapping out Special Duration and Swim Speed with some combination of Special Charge Up / Ink Recovery / Bomb Distance. I'd be concerned with abandoning Damage Up due to its crazy team wipe power (as my short clip above demonstrated), unless I changed my play strategy to mostly avoid melee engagements (which might be a valid tactic, but hard to say yet).

As for Cold Blooded, the problem you must solve with the brush is this (I'll emphasize certain parts due to my strong opinions on the matter):

Being echolocated is a sizable disadvantage no matter what weapon you play, but when your entire existence revolves around ninja-level sneak and swatting enemies in the back, echolocator makes you utterly useless for at least 12.5 seconds (assuming the owner of the echolocator has no Duration Up perks). And especially at S-rank level, if you're forced to retreat and cower behind cover, 12.5 seconds is an eternity. It's not much better than dying. In fact, it's even worse than dying if you manage to survive for more than 3 seconds, and then get splatted anyway due to a sniper knowing precisely where you are.

Anyway, you can certainly get away with not running Cold Blooded in certain scenarios. You can sometimes play for a whole afternoon seeing echolocator just a handful of times. But eventually you run into a team with two echolocators on it, who can trade off specials with maybe 30 seconds of downtime in between, and since a well-timed echolocator effectively wipes your team of short-range members (whether they actually die or not), it will cost you the game.

Just look at the number of S and S+ players running Cold Blooded now, as far as I can tell it's every bit a part of the current meta as Defense Up or .96 Gal.

Azure J

Nouveau has Splat Bombs. If it had burst bombs, I definitely wouldn't be initiating this conversation since I know how good damage up is with those things. :lol

Since the Noveau will suddenly give brush a couple of range options, I'd definitely consider swapping out Special Duration and Swim Speed with some combination of Special Charge Up / Ink Recovery / Bomb Distance. I'd be concerned with abandoning Damage Up due to its crazy team wipe power (as my short clip above demonstrated), unless I changed my play strategy to mostly avoid melee engagements (which might be a valid tactic, but hard to say yet).

As for Cold Blooded, the problem you must solve with the brush is this (I'll emphasize certain parts due to my strong opinions on the matter):

Being echolocated is a sizable disadvantage no matter what weapon you play, but when your entire existence revolves around ninja-level sneak and swatting enemies in the back, echolocator makes you utterly useless for at least 12.5 seconds (assuming the owner of the echolocator has no Duration Up perks). And especially at S-rank level, if you're forced to retreat and cower behind cover, 12.5 seconds is an eternity. It's not much better than dying. In fact, it's even worse than dying if you manage to survive for more than 3 seconds, and then get splatted anyway due to a sniper knowing precisely where you are.

Anyway, you can certainly get away with not running Cold Blooded in certain scenarios. You can sometimes play for a whole afternoon seeing echolocator just a handful of times. But eventually you run into a team with two echolocators on it, who can trade off specials with maybe 30 seconds of downtime in between, and since a well-timed echolocator effectively wipes your team of short-range members (whether they actually die or not), it will cost you the game.

Just look at the number of S and S+ players running Cold Blooded now, as far as I can tell it's every bit a part of the current meta as Defense Up or .96 Gal.

Hmm, interesting stuff all around. Thanks for humoring me. I definitely will have a damage up build for Octo, but I gotta figure out which perks to pick between (Special Charge, Bomb Toss, Ink Saver Main/Recovery Up & Swim Speed) to suit myself better.

On another tangent, I think messing with the Gold Dynamo Roller has kinda cured me of that weird feeling I used to get when swinging Octobrush around before and not getting that immediate/immaculate coverage vanilla Inkbrush gave me.

Luigi87

Does anyone think Nintendo will ever have a system that recognizes DC's in terms of balance?

Because latest match
Enemy: A- x4
My team A- (me), Ax2, and a third A who DC'd.
Lost, -12 pts... Like, that just seems wholly unfair.

Regiruler

The ing are amorphous shadow creatures
Ing sounds like ink
What follows the ing? Corruption

It's not part of the mario universe. We were looking at it all wrong.

Azure J

The ing are amorphous shadow creatures
Ing sounds like ink
What follows the ing? Corruption

It's not part of the mario universe. We were looking at it all wrong.

...the arcade machine randomly playing Ing Hive/Sanctuary Fortress melodies suddenly makes FAR too much sense. :O

Geg

Is the octoling hacker thing legit in any way? Viral marketing?

As far as I know it's just been one isolated incident that happened and got a little blown out of proportion but yeah if a player is using an Octoling as their player character and/or an unreleased weapon in your game and you leave the room and try to go to your plaza you'll be locked out of the game until you start over with new save data

I'm watching Samu and his squad do 4x Aerospray MG on Splat Zones / Hammerhead Bridge / Camp Triggerfish and it is hilarious. They're actually winning their matches on Camp Triggerfish and I don't understand why. They even managed to win against 4x Tri Slosher.

lolololololol

Edit: aww they stopped after like 3 games, but it was hilarious when it happened.

ss-hikaru

Interesting, so far when reading up on the Octobrush I haven't come across many people advocating damage up, mostly people saying ink saver and similar. But I'm going to look at adding the ability to my set up :)

Nintendo are slowly trickling out the Splatoon merch! I ordered this one before this one was announced...and then ordered that too :p I'm such a sucker for the orange ink colour

J@hranimo

Banned
So it's getting close to that time...well kind of, but tomorrow is Friday. What weapon are you expecting to release? I'm still holding out for the Carbon Roller Deco and hoping the seeker rush is as glorious as I'm imagining it to be.

Top Bottom