• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My wife ended 98/99 for Plane Queen and had like a dozen disconnects. She is (rightfully) pissed. I couldn't complete a single match. Great Splat Fest.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Crap, forgot Splatoon Koshien was on today, thanks Matthewmatosis.

Just in time to see a team of Japanese girls in some kind of school uniform lose.

I'm going with:

Popular: Cars: 39% Planes: 61%
Winning: Cars: 48% Planes: 52%

I still think the popular choice is dumb. Do people actually enjoy the experience of flying with modern airlines over driving your own car.

I think many interpreted the question as two means of traveling for a long trip.

My wife ended 98/99 for Plane Queen and had like a dozen disconnects. She is (rightfully) pissed. I couldn't complete a single match. Great Splat Fest.

Yeah. They really have to fix the issues with the Splatfest matchmaking. It was just horrible yesterday. I exited the game once and the game wouldn't connect to the internet at all. It was daylight at Buyouh Base. Multiple restarts didn't help.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm ready for the 70% Planes 30% Cars popularity results.

edit: Well damn, if I was home to play this I would have broken my losing splatfest streak! Good thing they changed the win multiplier.

ZfFYemW.jpg

Team Cars we the best!

I guessed correctly, hovercrafts lost. Now give me Diddy Kong Racing 2 now.

Transformers splatfest was a hidden promo for the Platinum game, this one is obviously a tease for Retro and their next game.

Hmm... SplatNet is still OctopusNet after Splatfest ends.
They're coming........

ChrisD

Winning needs to be x3, x4 tilts things too far
And no, I'm not just saying that because it would mean my team would have eke'd out a win
No, I'm really not, I swear

Didnt think I'll win, so happy I pushed through to Queen.

Also glad I decided to go back at 11:30 just to get more wins for my team.

VROOM VROOM!!!

MAtgS

I'm going with:

Popular: Cars: 39% Planes: 61%
Winning: Cars: 48% Planes: 52%

I still think the popular choice is dumb. Do people actually enjoy the experience of flying with modern airlines over driving your own car.
Dude,that's comparing private vs public transportation. Your own private plane>your own car.

Malus

I'm never going to win haha :(

I feel like I've been cursed by my first splatfest choice. I chose cats just because I thought they'd be more popular and we lost. Since then I've just been choosing what I want, but karmic forces are working against me.

Wow, popularity pretty much doesn't matter as soon as there's a 8 point spread.

You Really don't want to be on the popular team because it always has a bunch of terrible kids on it

ffdgh

Haha congratz cars. still...that popularity. Hello snails :D
Hope all those plane vs plane battles aren't part of the reason we lost....aside from cars legitimately having better players.

Wow, popularity pretty much doesn't matter as soon as there's a 8 point spread.

You Really don't want to be on the popular team because it always has a bunch of terrible kids on it
I usually don't go for the popular vote; for me it's preference.

I like driving and all, but there's something about flying to a farther place that's rather fun.

I'm never going to win haha :(

I feel like I've been cursed by my first splatfest choice. I chose cats just because I thought they'd be more popular and we lost. Since then I've just been choosing what I want, but karmic forces are working against me.

Welcome to the club

Geg

I've always wondered what happens if there's a tie. Would the win then just go to the team that won the most matches?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Tears from winning team leader
AbuDCZc.png

Apparently the favorite to win with 2 prominent streamers lost to them in the finals.

Transformers splatfest was a hidden promo for the Platinum game, this one is obviously a tease for Retro and their next game.
I get it. That's why Cats vs. Dogs is happening in Europe. Not just to promote the release Nintendo Selects: Nintendogs and Cats but a sequel
or the DeNA game despite them saying it wouldn't be based off existing IP

Team Cars we the best!
It's transformers all over again except this time Calie won (because she always wins, except when she doesn't).

if only the win rate was 46%-54%, then this would have been literally tied
I'm sure it is rigged to prevent ties as there is no text for a draw and as we see in turf wars if neither side pains anything one side will still win by 0.1%.

EulaCapra

I was Team Cars but even I don't know how to feel about the win percentage multipliers. If it went back to x2 or change to x3, Planes would've taken it. My mind is always in conflict with Splatfest results whether I win or lose.

Well done, Team Cars! I honestly thought Planes had at least 70%+ popularity, but when I saw it was only 64% I thought "OK, as long as they didn't win 54% or more we got this, and that's pretty unli... well, there it is." I had a good laugh. Enjoy the SSSs, you earned them!

NotLiquid

I think the Splatoon related murmurs are getting to me. Second dream last night, this time about Octolings in the game. Interesting how the Octo stuff hasn't disappeared from SplatNet even after the associated Splatfest is over (inb4 Team Octo losing means we won't be getting them)

Well done Team Cars, also. I actually expected it to be a total sweeping victory for Planes.

I was Team Cars but even I don't know how to feel about the win percentage multipliers. If it went back to x2 or change to x3, Planes would've taken it. My mind is always in conflict with Splatfest results whether I win or lose.

Let's be real though; before the multipliers were even more of a decisive factor people were constantly complaining that popularity was even a factor in determining the winner.

Apropos nothing, dunno if any of you guys are interested in the stuff the fan community is cooking up but the Turf War Zine is wrapping up and if you guys are interested in buying a pair of physical fan books with absolutely sick artwork then keep a lookout for it this week. Two versions are being produced, one for Team Inkling and one for Team Octoling. All the proceeds also go to Child's Play charity and there's some big names involved with it (including Alex Ahad, Sean Hicks, Sizma, Gashi-Gashi etc). I'm lucky enough to be involved with it too, here's a teaser of my piece for Team Octoling.

I wish there was a way to get more detailed stats on the Splatfests. With the Transformers and recent Cars vs. Planes Splatfests having such different popularity and win percentage outcomes, I wondered if a very popular team would generally have a significantly lower win percentage. I don't think there's any way to do any meaningful analysis without knowing how many games were played in each Splatfest or the number of participants, though.

In any case, I think the current scoring system is fine. Popularity shouldn't really be the main factor in determining the victor.

I wish there was a way to get more detailed stats on the Splatfests. With the Transformers and recent Cars vs. Planes Splatfests having such different popularity and win percentage outcomes, I wondered if a very popular team would generally have a significantly lower win percentage. I don't think there's any way to do any meaningful analysis without knowing how many games were played in each Splatfest or the number of participants, though.
It makes sense the more popular team might do worse assuming most people play to king/queen/eternal (please come back I need eternal cat girls) before quitting, the stronger teams play less games in general which here also translates to playing less games against the opposite team and not contributing as much to the win % as they would in a 50:50 split.

OryoN

Not surprised Team Planes lost. That was the toughest time I had reaching King. I been playing for like half of the entire day(With substantial breaks in between). Topped almost every game with some serious points, yet lost nearly every match. The only reason I didn't rage quit is because I don't usually get to participate in Splatfests for any significant time since I work late on Saturdays, so it was a rare treat

Top Bottom