• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB Again Blames Suicide Squad For 41% Revenue Drop Year-on-Year

NickFire

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you have the right to make a game featuring HQ, which is intended for the general video game market, and do not double down on making her both crazy and hot, then you are doing it wrong.

It's not just about the final design. Not even a little. It's about being good at making an entertainment product. You must know and appreciate your audience. And if you do not know your audience, and/or do not appreciate your audience, you are building a house without a foundation. And frankly, you are stifling competency when the people who know what they are doing are afraid of getting called to HR.

Just look at Hogwarts (or Deadpool v. Wolverine) and SS. The former were designed by people who went hard in the paint to give the audiences what they loved. Both did wild numbers despite a boycott of the game. The latter thought the audience needed a South Park parody of Mr. Freeze. And that social experiment flopped.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Wizard Game:
Overall a solid concept for a game people want to play
Twitter Cabal and "mainstream audiences" boycott game cuz genocide
Makes a shitzillion dollars

SSKJL:
A game nobody wanted and well outside the wheelhouse of legendary developer
Specifically panders to Twitter Cabal and "mainstream audiences"
Colossal failure and hilariously embarrassing

There has to be some brutal irony that the game called Suicide Squad has killed their gaming division.
There's also the 41% memes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
dR5moi6.jpeg

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

"Who could have ever seen this happening to SS?"

Literally everyone did. Literally everyone did.

The fucking vacuum bubble these execs and devs live in must be filled with crazy drugs.

Who the fuck did you even make this game for?

It's the result of staying in your own echo chamber.

Muting/blocking all those who say otherwise to your view and then you can go "see everyone fucking loves it this is great"

Literally happens with eventing these days

laynelane

That is the result when you live in an echo chamber where you think the "modern audience" is the majority, whereas, in reality, they are the vocal minority on X and REEE that don't even buy games. They are loser activists who do not care about the games and just want to send "the message" / agenda.

Now reality hits them hard where they are most vulnerable (their wallets). This should hopefully wake them the fuck up after they are broke looking for a new job after the inevitable layoffs.

Make games for most of their audiences, instead of the vocal minority on X. Profit? Its a simple concept. Cater to the majority.

Agreed. It's insane that we're in an era where the customer is not a priority when it comes to some gaming companies. It seems like they're so eager to educate us/spread the message that when, inevitably, this tanks sales - the end result is not just the dismissal of the activists, but the actual developers who just do their job too. The only ones that walk away relatively unscathed are the idiotic executives who green-lit this bs in the first place.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Clearly the answer is to double down on more games like Suicide Squad. Just look at where they could be at if they had 3 or 4 of these things going.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Clearly the answer is to double down on more games like Suicide Squad. Just look at where they could be at if they had 3 or 4 of these things going.
Yup, they need to make their lesbians even fatter, more feministic and more purple, that will show those misogonist players whos the boss :p
Edit: Just checked, Batman: AK from 2015 still holds up perfectly, especially maxed in 4k, high end so ps5pr0 equivalent rig runs it flawlessly at 60+fps

EZ money for quick low effort remaster so studio could make up for at least some of the losses for ps5/xsx and maybe switch succesor too

Last edited:

N30RYU

Wizard Game:
Overall a solid concept for a game people want to play
Twitter Cabal and "mainstream audiences" boycott game cuz genocide
Makes a shitzillion dollars

SSKJL:
A game nobody wanted and well outside the wheelhouse of legendary developer
Specifically panders to Twitter Cabal and "mainstream audiences"
Colossal failure and hilariously embarrassing

There's also the 41% memes.
Is like Marvel just realizing ppl still go to cinemas to watch Deadpool and Wolverine instead of The Marvels...

Trying to please ppl that not give a fuck about your product never leads to something good.

So here's the issue. These projects cost a lot of fucking money. To atleast recoop costs, you need every "seat in the house to have an ass in it" to use the movie terminology. To make a profit, you need to bring in more seats to have even more asses in those seats. You need people that engage with this product/service/etc and then rave about it, insisting other people to join in.

You need this to appeal to almost everyone or as close as you can get. This is not hyperbole. This is why big budget shit used to be as tame and vanilla as possible.

In current year, the money people got fucking insane. They allow their producers to:
1. Go out of their way to piss off built in audiences (free marketing and should be guaranteed customers btw ).
2. Appealing to specific small as fuck audiences at the exclusion of the vastly larger general audience
3. When they get resistance for either doing 1 or 2, they proceed to smear and shame customers in full view of everyone thus turning off more people.

How the fuck are you giving any project any chance of success with these tactics?

It happens all of the time. I swear this time will be examined and pondered by future media documentarians.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So here's the issue. These projects cost a lot of fucking money. To atleast recoop costs, you need every "seat" to have an ass in it to use the movie terminology. To make a profit, you need to bring in more seats to have even more asses in those seats. You need people that engage with this product/service/etc and then rave about it, insisting other people to join in.

You need this to appeal to almost everyone or as close as you can get. This is not hyperbole. This is why big budget shit used to be as tame and vanilla as possible.

In current year, the money people got fucking insane. They allow their producers to:
1. Going out of their way to piss off built in audiences (free marketing and should be guaranteed customers btw ).
2. Appealing to specific small as fuck audiences at the exclusion of the vastly larger general audience
3. When they get resistance for either doing 1 or 2, they proceed to smear and shame customers in full view of everyone.

How the fuck are you giving any project any chance of success with this tactic?

It happens all of the time. I swear this time will be examined and pondered by future media documentarians.
Spot on.

I'm going to assume they all got special industry data too showing....... "Hey, even if the game doesnt sell great, all it takes is some GAAS whales who live off the game for years!"

If we get XXX number of whales x YYY revenue per whale = shit loads of cash!

Last edited:
Spot on.

I'm going to assume they all got special industry data too showing....... "Hey, even if the game doesnt sell great, all it takes is some GAAS whales who live off the game for years!"

If we get XXX number of whales x YYY revenue per whale = shit loads of cash!

Yeah that's a whole other side to this specifically with gaming. They are chasing a trend that is like a lottery. Chances are against them but if they do hit, they hit big.

I will submit that GaaS games still has to appeal to as wide of an audience first to hit that ATM machine status. And even if it does that, it all depends on how it hits and how well it retains its playerbase.

It's risky and the reason why for every one successful example, there is a graveyard of 10 that flop.

And I am not saying there isn't a place for GaaS but it's volatile as fuck right now and unless handled like a pro, shit goes sideways.

Last edited:

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I grown up with Kevin Conroy's Batman In The Animated Series. that version of Mr. Freeze is also my defacto one. to see that they not only killed off Conroy's last Batman game performance like that but also screw up Mr. Freeze and his wife Nora too in one DLC just makes my blood pressure goes up every time I think about it. WB gaming can fuck off in a ditch fire for all I care.

BbMajor7th

They only have themselves to blame. Almost everyone in the gaming community called this the moment they unveiled it.

They're 41% down because key decision makers bet big on something the average Reddit poster could have told them was doomed to fail.

Top Bottom