• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Hey Azure, I finally got through your recording of your private GAF room yesterday. I didn't notice any glaring errors. Everyone who's played with you knows that you know your way around a charger. The biggest things I noticed were that you sometimes hold a scoped charge for a pretty long time, leaving you with no visual awareness, and that you sometimes seem to get too attached to camping a single spot or dueling with a single person, when it might be more advantageous and less dangerous to move. I think Geg pointed this one out too actually, comparing me and you; he said I GTFO faster and try to obtain a more defensive position before retaliating.

I'm also pretty bad for camping certain locations for too long at a time, which I expect everyone that has played with me has probably noticed. You can get away with it all right if there are no long-range weapons on the enemy team, but even short range players can fuck that up all the time if they're good enough.

Most of the time when we charger spar and you lose, it seems to come down to two things:

Either 1) I'm out speeding you, which I don't think can be fixed with anything but practice, or

2) you're getting too invested in sniping me and I can estimate when you're going to peek around whatever obstacle. This one seems to happen a lot; I remember lots of instances like this in Walleye. I feel like I telegraph a lot in those duels too, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even with those things said, you still snipe me plenty, and we also trade a lot. And from your streams, you snipe other people tons too with some great twitch shots so, I mean, you're a good charger. Most of the differences we have in playstyle come from me being a bit more defensive and not holding charges as long.

My Internet was being absolute crap for most of the day, so this is primarily based on your final stint with the scope (+ playing matches with you, obviously), because it was the only part of the stream where I wasn't plagued by constant buffering. :/

I feel like I made this post all about me, but it's the only comparison I have! :(

Rize_21

It was about time for the dynamo, but watching the dynamo nerf video makes me really doubt it'll change a thing online, going to miss the splats when out of ink though, it was really fun to smash someone like you'd use a baseball bat.

Guess special charge up will be more popular now with the dynamo users, as it's the fastest way to refill your tank in no time.

But TC, wow, this mode will be crazy once again, if the splash walls are even harder to put, and bubblers/ krakens get more knockback?
The K/D will go through the roof :'D.

Hello.

Banned
Those balances are PERFECT. I had no idea you could kill someone with no ink as a roller.,\

Well it's not exactly as clear cut as the description makes it out to be. When you have no ink (as in, literally 0 ink in your tank), the ink will automatically recharge when you stand. This is a universal game mechanic, it's not exclusive to rollers.

It does this so that if you happen to have no ink in your tank but also have no ink around your vicinity to recharge your tank, you'll always have enough to paint some ink onto the ground to charge. It's pretty obvious to see when you're desperately trying to move away from someone but you have no ink yet you still somehow always have enough for just one shot.

An oversight was that, since Rollers could instant kill with just one swipe, this small amount of ink recharge could kill. In essence, rollers could kill anyone with "no ink." Since Dynamos have an incredibly long swipe delay (nearly 60 frames, a full second), they are regaining ink during their swipe animation, enough to kill. This oversight combined with the Dynamo's incredible hitbox radius could cause many kills.

Technically, I'm assuming this can still happen in the new update, but to a much lesser degree because now you must aim center-foot to get this to happen.

Hey Azure, I finally got through your recording of your private GAF room yesterday. I didn't notice any glaring errors. Everyone who's played with you knows that you know your way around a charger. The biggest things I noticed were that you sometimes hold a scoped charge for a pretty long time, leaving you with no visual awareness, and that you sometimes seem to get too attached to camping a single spot or dueling with a single person, when it might be more advantageous and less dangerous to move. I think Geg pointed this one out too actually, comparing me and you; he said I GTFO faster and try to obtain a more defensive position before retaliating.

I'm also pretty bad for camping certain locations for too long at a time, which I expect everyone that has played with me has probably noticed. You can get away with it all right if there are no long-range weapons on the enemy team, but even short range players can fuck that up all the time if they're good enough.

Most of the time when we charger spar and you lose, it seems to come down to two things:

Either 1) I'm out speeding you, which I don't think can be fixed with anything but practice, or

2) you're getting too invested in sniping me and I can estimate when you're going to peek around whatever obstacle. This one seems to happen a lot; I remember lots of instances like this in Walleye. I feel like I telegraph a lot in those duels too, though. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Even with those things said, you still snipe me plenty, and we also trade a lot. And from your streams, you snipe other people tons too with some great twitch shots so, I mean, you're a good charger. Most of the differences we have in playstyle come from me being a bit more defensive and not holding charges as long.

My Internet was being absolute crap for most of the day, so this is primarily based on your final stint with the scope (+ playing matches with you, obviously), because it was the only part of the stream where I wasn't plagued by constant buffering. :/

I feel like I made this post all about me, but it's the only comparison I have! :(

Nearly all of us had mentioned that Azure sometimes holds his charges for far too long, which is incredibly risky for a scope. It's probably an old habit of his.

Funny, I don't get to sniper duel you often. Instead, the game puts us with each other when we're both using a Charger. It's pretty much the opposite with the rest of ChargerGAF. One thing I have learned now is that I'm approaching Chargers with short-ranged weapons kinda rambo-ish, and that doesn't work. Lol. If only I had my bombs.

*goes through patch notes*
"When neither team has the Rainmaker, the Special Gauge will automatically charge
gradually for the losing team"

That was under the tower control heading. Rainmaker in Tower control confirmed. Also the bubbler/kraken knockback stuff is also tower control only or is it more a case they got knocked back less from above/below as usually is the case in tower control.

As much as I hate getting One hit by blasters, that blaster nerf seems a bit much.
If the limit is set to 100 max, does that mean defense up will guarantee survival?
It is mean that Nintendo didn't show this on a defence up training dummy. I'm hoping it means only direct hits can OHKO (like the chargers can no longer OHKO at non-full charge) or maybe the defence creep is similar to the .52 gal.

Kito

Japanese patch notes mention shortcut prevention, but I can't see these in the English version. What are some shortcut examples?

nom

Japanese patch notes mention shortcut prevention, but I can't see these in the English version. What are some shortcut examples?

Arowana Mall: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes

Only one I can think of is the one near that original pipe glitch, hard to explain but there's a way to get from 'plat' to 'closed' using the same glitch.

Kelp Dome: Small adjustments will be made for Rainmaker mode

That has to be removing the flower planter near the goal to stop people jumping back to their spawn platform with the rainmaker

Flounder Heights: In addition to changing the stage layout in Rainmaker, other adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes and to prevent the attachment of Suction Bombs in certain places

No idea what they're doing for this one. There was a way to climb around the 'back' but nothing major/helpful.

EDIT: with enough swim speed there was a way to jump from 'perch' to 'closed' but I don't think I ever saw/heard about anyone doing it in a match.

Hammerhead bridge: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes

I'm guessing that's the under the level glitch? I still get lost on that map so I don't know what shortcuts are part of the map.

Walleye Warehouse: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in Rainmaker Mode

Someone did a glitch on Azure's stream, I think someone figured out what is was but I can't remember exactly.

Funny, I don't get to sniper duel you often. Instead, the game puts us with each other when we're both using a Charger. It's pretty much the opposite with the rest of ChargerGAF. One thing I have learned now is that I'm approaching Chargers with short-ranged weapons kinda rambo-ish, and that doesn't work. Lol. If only I had my bombs.

Yeah, we still haven't had a proper charger duel, have we...

backlot

I really want to know what they mean when they say they balanced damage when rollers are repeatedly swung. It doesn't have the up or down pointing triangle icons that nerfs and buffs do. It's just a bullet point.

StAidan

Man, I just found out about this patch and it sounds like a real game-changer for some of the most-used ranked weapons. With that E-Liter nerf, it sounds like maybe a single Defense Up would be enough to survive any partially-charged shot under most circumstances (standing in enemy ink excepted).

With the nerfs for inkzooka and kraken, will be interesting to see how it affects my octobrush gameplay. I'm glad the weapon itself wasn't touched, though.

I think this weekend will be the last one where I'm banished from my house, I'll be stoked as heck if I can play on patch night.

ffdgh

I really want to know what they mean when they say they balanced damage when rollers are repeatedly swung. It doesn't have the up or down pointing triangle icons that nerfs and buffs do. It's just a bullet point.

Sounds like dimishing returns? Maybe it has less range/damage for repeated flicks. Sorta like stale moves in smash.

backlot

Sounds like dimishing returns? Maybe it has less range/damage for repeated flicks. Sorta like stale moves in smash.

Why wouldn't they have given it the same icon as other nerfs then? Maybe initial swings are more powerful than they are currently to make up for the diminishing returns?

phanphare

Banned
The single blaster shot/suction bomb combo is criminally overlooked. I can't tell you how often people don't notice you that you threw one because the blaster shot distracted them.

I actually prefer the mine/bubbler combo but suction bombs are really good for baiting people or getting them to move where you want them to

DaBoss

Did swings vary in damage before?
Yea, it was determined by the splash hits from the fling. The video you linked to and this roller video shows the varying damage as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r334h868lU

Post-patch seems to have roller flings that are in killing range do 125 damage (damage decay would lower the number depending on how far you are), and 50 damage for flings that would not kill (before any damage decay).

backlot

Yea, it was determined by the splash hits from the fling. The video you linked to and this roller video shows the varying damage as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r334h868lU

Post-patch seems to have roller flings that are in killing range do 125 damage (damage decay would lower the number depending on how far you are), and 50 damage for flings that would not kill (before any damage decay).

Alright. Seems like a decent enough change.

I actually prefer the mine/bubbler combo but suction bombs are really good for baiting people or getting them to move where you want them to

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that I'm crazy for preferring the suction bomb over having bubbler but considering the percentage of time that I'm actually using bubbler effectively I think bombs are the way to go >_<

ffdgh

What I want to know is why the zaps got a running speed buff. They're the best running while shooting weapon now speed wise...but I'm not complaining lol.

Geg

Looking at that hat clip through the octoling's head like that really makes me wonder why people believe they'll be playable

Neoxon

Looking at that hat clip through the octoling's head like that really makes me wonder why people believe they'll be playable
Because the 2.0 update made the enabling of playable Octolings even easier than before. All that's left is some remodeling for the Octolings wearing hats on the part of the developers.

ChrisD

More Inkzooka. Fun.

Man, our 4-S team just beat a 4-S+ team after a long, full battle. Our reward? +5. I lost 6 when I lost to 4-S with two A-, one A, and me as S. This ranking system is so screwed up.

ils3nxM.jpg
lol

Azure J

...says the kid with an Aerospray selected. :lol

Hey Azure

Thanks for the write up Quartz! Between your observations and Blue's comments, I do feel like there are some situations I get into where I am trying to prepare for multiple shots and get locked into the mentality of "keep max charge handy" when assuming as much on stage. It's a weird thing too considering how much time I put into learning minimum time charges a while back. It's as if I'm constantly juggling between the two when I'm in the middle of things with Splatterscope. Not sure how to break the habit soundly, but I'll definitely keep trying.

ryechu

...says the kid with an Aerospray selected. :lol

Thanks for the write up Quartz! Between your observations and Blue's comments, I do feel like there are some situations I get into where I am trying to prepare for multiple shots and get locked into the mentality of "keep max charge handy" when assuming as much on stage. It's a weird thing too considering how much time I put into learning minimum time charges a while back. It's as if I'm constantly juggling between the two when I'm in the middle of things with Splatterscope. Not sure how to break the habit soundly, but I'll definitely keep trying.

you break the habit by forcing yourself to stop doing it.

Rapid Blaster Pro is so much fun :O it's a rapid blaster with inkzooka that can rush mid so fast. It can camp the middle of camp triggerfish for days, and it works really well on port mackerel too.

My only problem is not having any good solution for close combat, but just like custom jet squelcher, I should be maintaining my spacing. Having inkzooka to snipe chargers is great though.

Top Bottom