• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Zing

Banned
I would like a super grind added on that goes past Level 50 (I'm that guy), but I think for the mass populace that plays Splatoon, the climb to 50 is plenty enough.

The "the mass" shouldn't hit 50. That's the whole idea behind something "legendary".

The leveling system to 50 is fine as it is. It isn't supposed to be "special". It's something that people will get to eventually.
Any source to back this statement? I have no evidence other than the term "legendary", but this is the time where kids call everyday events "epic".

The developer did say in an interview that they did not expect players to reach level 20 so easily. Maybe they fell into the same trap with level 50.

ChrisD

It takes 11160 points to go from level 20 to level 50. You would need to have played 1116 ranked matches and have every one of them as knockout victories to even think about getting to that within a week.

The leveling system to 50 is fine as it is. It isn't supposed to be "special". It's something that people will get to eventually.

Seeing the actual number of games required has me ashamed of how much time I've played this game since the update. ;-;

Scoops

Banned
Gaf I want to play the stealth level but forgot which one it is.

Anyone remember the name of it or which world-level it is?

Thanks in advance

Seriously, your entire problem is that they called the hat "Legendary"?

It's named that because
it's Captain Cuttlefish's hat
, not because getting to 50 is some amazing achievement.

Zing

Banned
Seriously, your entire problem is that they called the hat "Legendary"?

It's named that because
it's Captain Cuttlefish's hat
, not because getting to 50 is some amazing achievement.
No, it isn't, and we could do without the condescending tone.

You have made my point for me. Getting to level 50 is not an amazing achievement. Although others here disagree and say it requires significant effort.

Seeing the actual number of games required has me ashamed of how much time I've played this game since the update. ;-;
I wonder if I have passed the 1000 hour point. :D

I am afraid to look.

Geg

No it is actually called that because it's his hat

Most people don't even call it the legendary hat, they just call it the captain's hat. I frequently forget that's not what its real name is

You have made my point for me. Getting to level 50 is not an amazing achievement. Although others here disagree and say it requires significant effort.

Yes, that is what it is named for. All the equipment you get from leveling past 20 is from the story mode. The hat follows the exact naming convention of the rest of it. Captain Cuttlefish is a veteran of the Great Turf Wars and wore his hat then, so the hat is therefore also a "veteran" and "legendary."

You can argue they gave you such an "important" hat for reaching 50 because they want that to feel important, but it seems a lot more likely to me that it's there merely because that was the level cap they chose and you gotta put something nice at the end.

S+ is the prestigious mode. Not sure why the mere levels need to be one, too, when they exist soley to gate a minimum of experience for Ranked and to unlock equipment and provide a sense of progression along the way.

I wouldn't mind having levels past 50, but unless they add more non-overpowered equipment, it would literally exist for no purpose but to fill a meaningless bar.

Anything that amounts to a mindless time sink is not an achievement, and since we already have a mode specifically to show a certain level of achievement, I see no reason the gear unlocks must also be one, or go to higher levels for nothing.

Zing

Banned
No it is actually called that because it's his hat

Most people don't even call it the legendary hat, they just call it the captain's hat. I frequently forget that's not what its real name is
My "no it isn't" was answering his insincere question about it being the only reason I question the relatively low level cap. Sorry for the confusion.

Played some ranked. Forgot how tough Rainmaker is in public matches. People just cannot coordinate. Doesn't help that I seem to be mingling with rank A now. This is new to the game, since around the time schools started. I suppose there are fewer people playing so the game pushes A ranks into S games.

I wish there was a setting that said "take longer to find accurate matches". As it is, the game seems to favour speed over matching ranks.

My "no it isn't" was answering his insincere question about it being the only reason I question the relatively low level cap. Sorry for the confusion.

It was actually a poorly-worded sincere question, lol. I was incredulous because I thought part of the confusion was due to a misunderstanding (and I have seen people get stuck on the tiniest things, which is what I thought you did, before).

My apologies, in any case. I had no intention of being condescending.

Like many others here I've also been holding back on play time. Some of it is due to the upcoming (in EU) splatfest or should I say, Catfest as in I know I will spend time on the game then so don't have to do much beforehand.

Gaf I want to play the stealth level but forgot which one it is.

Anyone remember the name of it or which world-level it is?

Thanks in advance
You mean the single player with the inkstrikes. There is one of those per world apart from the first, right? Aren't they named something like "invasion of *stage name*". Remember on the Gamepad screen you can super jump to each stage to save time having to walk to each stage trying it figure out which one it is.

Penguin

Seems like some heavy balancing coming to the game next week

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/update/index_220.html

On October 20, 2015, new update data for the Splatoon game will become available for download. Please take a moment to download and install this update while your Wii U console is connected to the Internet.

Weapons Adjustments:
Adjustments will be made to Main Weapons, Sub Weapons, and Special Weapons. View details
Ranked Battle Adjustments
Adjustments will be made to the rules in Rainmaker and Tower Control modes. View details
Ranking Adjustments
Rank S users will be matched up with other rank S users more frequently, and rank S+ users will be matched up with other rank S+ users more frequently
To accommodate this change, the calculation method for ranks S and S+ users will be adjusted. View details
Stage Adjustments
Walleye Warehouse: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in Rainmaker Mode
Saltspray Rig: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from placing Splash Walls in certain places
Arowana Mall: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes
Kelp Dome: Small adjustments will be made for Rainmaker mode
Flounder Heights: In addition to changing the stage layout in Rainmaker, other adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes and to prevent the attachment of Suction Bombs in certain places
Hammerhead bridge: Adjustments will be made to prevent users from taking certain shortcuts in all modes
Effects Adjustments
The visual effects of position-tracking for teammates will be less visible. View details
The launching sound effect of the Inkzooka will be more audible
Battle Adjustments
Fixed the issue in which the ink refills slightly when beginning to charge an empty Splatling weapon
Fixed the issue in which the Point Sensors and Disruptors do not function when there is significant lag in the connectivity
Fixed the issue in which players are able to move the Tower even when they are not on the Tower by swimming in the area bordering the top and sides of the Tower
Fixed the issue in which the Rainmaker shield does not take damage when the shield is extremely close to a wall
Fixed the issue in which visual effects do not display when some of the ink hit the Rainmaker Barrier and Splash Walls
Fixed the issue in which some ink splats occasionally go through thin walls
Fixed the issue in which rollers occasionally inflict damage through thin walls
Fixed the issue in which Kraken occasionally inflicts damage against opponents hiding on the other side of a thin wall
Fixed the issue in which Shooter type main weapons shoot at a faster rate than usual when specific special weapons are activated
Bug Fixes in Battle Dojo:
Fixed the issue in which Splash Walls do not block opponents’ bombs and blasters
Bug fixes:
Fixed the issue in which the damage stats for Splattershot Jr., Custom Splattershot Jr., N-ZAP 85, and N-ZAP89 are displayed as higher than they actually are. This only changes the information displayed in the stats. The actual stats will remain the same.
Adjustments will also be made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience

vanty

Adjusted the splash damage. Players can only splat their opponents in one hit withthe center of the roller

This will get me back in after not playing for a while. A damage drop over distance would also be nice but maybe this nerf is enough to stop 80% of my deaths coming from rollers half a mile away.

SM239

Decreased ink usage by about 12.5%
Bamboozler buff.
J3gTCV2.png

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
They decreased Jet Squelcher's ink usage, yes!

They nerfed all the Blasters' damage heavily, no!

[edit] I really like the change to one-hit kills from roller splashes, though. Gotta be directly in the center.

Malus

Oh wow that's a huge blaster nerf. Gives even more use to damage up perks I guess.

Man these are some significant changes. I like the neo splash o matic though, so keep it coming. They left my .96 gal alone too. OH SHIT gonna try out Forge Pro again.

As much as I hate getting One hit by blasters, that blaster nerf seems a bit much.

Well they can still make it a one-hit with perks. Defense up now useful lol.

Vecks

As much as I hate getting One hit by blasters, that blaster nerf seems a bit much.
If the limit is set to 100 max, does that mean defense up will guarantee survival?

That Splattershot nerf is nothing. What hurts me more is the Luna Blaster nerf 😢
But I'm loving that roller nerf (especially dynamo)!
Splatling getting a little bit of love, I like it.
Map changes for rainmaker, yessss
it's been a while since I've played with you gaf

EulaCapra

Regarding E-Liters:
"The range of damage that can be done to opponents without fully charging the weapon has been adjusted to 40.00 - 100.00. It was previously 40.00 - 120.00."

Stacking Defense Ups can finally be useful against E-Liters with Burst Bombs and their stupid half-charges.

...I think.

General Blaster nerf is pretty bullshit imo.

Edit: so Blasters still ohko on direct hit? I'm happier than I was earlier, but still feel that Blasters could use the help.

Dunno how I feel about rollers losing their ranged ohko :/

Nico_D

Oh fuck those updates. I think I agree practically with all of them. Splashwalls, Blasters and especially the (dynamo) rollers in a constant jump-flick mode. And TC changes concerning Kraken and walls, excellent stuff. Well played, Nintendo!

Zing

Banned
I am expecting defense up gear to be even more prevalent now. At the very least, a single defense up main is more useful. Prior to these changes, I felt I had to go full triple main or nothing.

Geg

Yeah right now I have six subs on one of my builds and was wondering how useful they really were. Looks like I'll get better use out of them after the patch

69wpm

Finally, Dynamos have to aim now. It was always bs having one chance to KO those guys with the Blaster and they could just swing wherever and instantly kill you.

ss-hikaru

Those balances are PERFECT. I had no idea you could kill someone with no ink as a roller., that seems really unfair. I like that they've made it so blasters and rollers have to be more accurate in order to get that 1HKO. Also like the kraken and splash wall nerfs :p

Based on my weapon selection I'm not too affected by this upcoming patch. My baby the heavy splatling gets reduced ink usage and both types of Splattershot Jrs are unaffected. Octobrush as well seems unaffected.

The changes to ranked modes seems fair. It seems like it will help a losing team make a comeback, or in the case of a team that's dominating the match to dominate even more.

Top Bottom