• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ChrisD

Image of some new headgear.

CRzaAXVU8AACXtP.png:large

Edgy

Oooooh, I want. This is already in the game, or was found in update files and will be put in later?

I've always been curious about the nerfs laid down on Kraken because even back on day 1 it never bothered me as a special when someone popped it (I'd just squid out and escape 99% of the time) while the bubbler is basically instant death for me and doesn't seem to get smacked with the nerf bat as much :/

I can't help but think it's a way to nerf the weapons with the Special, without directly hitting each weapon's main attribute.

I've always been curious about the nerfs laid down on Kraken because even back on day 1 it never bothered me as a special when someone popped it (I'd just squid out and escape 99% of the time) while the bubbler is basically instant death for me and doesn't seem to get smacked with the nerf bat as much :/
Bubbler will never be nerfed unless they nerf the Jr but since that's the first gun you get in the game it will never happen.

ChrisD

Tbh Bubbler is the main reason to use the Jr. Nerfing it would hurt the gun a lot more than nerfing .96's Kraken, or Tentatek's Inkzooka.

NotLiquid

WVJUujt.png

Something about this update seems very pre-emptive moving forward - especially what with the inaccessible new maps. Maybe there's still room for surprises.

J@hranimo

Banned
WVJUujt.png

Something about this update seems very pre-emptive moving forward - especially what with the inaccessible new maps. Maybe there's still room for surprises.

See? Nintendo getting new blood does help overall! The young devs thought ahead and renamed stuff so we get no spoilers while the old devs working on Smash 4 let a bunch of stuff get datamined! :p

Also these weapon changes...carbon deco still rocks. I feel like the nerf is the least noticable with it since you're gonna be up close and personal most of the time anyway.

YO, SQUID BEATZ HAS SONG TITLES AND BAND NAMES NOW

Stop playing! It does? :O

My verdict of the "roller nerf":

-Carbons will occasionally feel it
-Splats will occasionally feel it
-Dynamos won't really give a fuck if they're actually playing the game correctly

Have fun with laggy dynamos guy <3

I can't help but think it's a way to nerf the weapons with the Special, without directly hitting each weapon's main attribute.

Bubbler will never be nerfed unless they nerf the Jr but since that's the first gun you get in the game it will never happen.

Yeah, admittedly it's not a special that appears on a ton of weapons compared to the more prolific kraken so maybe it's that :eek:

I've been away from the game for a while. Looking forward to coming back to all these new weapons, clothes and maps soon XD

J@hranimo

Banned
I would never joke about Squid Beatz!

The Octoling songs are sung by "Turquoise October". LOL.

Yeah I just checked! This is awesome.

Best single player song is called Cephaloparade.

Best online match song is called Sucker Punch.

The artist who does the shop theme is DJ Lee Fish

The waiting in queue music is Dubble Bath by Dub Bob lol.

ChrisD

I was going to just edit my last post, but typing on a touch interface takes time. :p

Number in Squid Beatz, Song Title, Band (When given)

1. Splattack! -- Squid Squad
2. Ink or Sink -- Squid Squad
3. Seaskape -- Squid Squad
4. Kraken Up -- Squid Squad
5. Metalopod -- Squid Squad
6. Now or Never! -- Squid Squad
7. Battle Victory -- N/A
8. Battle Defeat -- N/A
9. Cap'n Cuttlefish's Theme -- N/A
10. Octo Valley -- N/A
11. Eight-Legged Advance -- Turquoise October
12. Tentacular Circus -- Turquoise October
13. Cephaloparade -- Turquoise October
14. Inkstrike Shuffle -- Turquoise October
15. Octoling Rendezvous -- Turquoise October
16. Octoweaponry -- Turquoise October
17. I am Octavio -- DJ Octavio
18. Calamari Inkantation -- Squid Sisters
19. Sunken Scroll -- N/A
20. City of Color -- Squid Sisters
21. Ink me Up -- Squid Sisters
22. Now or Never! -- Squid Sisters
23. Maritime Memory -- Squid Sisters
24. Inkopolis News -- N/A
25. Lookin' Fresh -- DJ Lee Fish
26. Lobby -- N/A
27. Dubble Bath -- Bob Dub (Bob Marley reference?)
28. Shellfie -- Chirpy Chips
29. Split & Splat -- Chirpy Chips
30. Hooked -- Hightide Era
31. Sucker Punch -- Hightide Era

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
My verdict of the "roller nerf":

-Carbons will occasionally feel it
-Splats will occasionally feel it
-Dynamos won't really give a fuck if they're actually playing the game correctly

Have fun with laggy dynamos guy <3

I only had a few matches to jump in, but I can confirm, Dynamo feels fine to me. I can still control a wide area, covering ground and I've no problem one shotting anything that gets close to me. If anything, the longer range weapons receiving buffs will impact the Dynamo more than its specific nerfs.

Dr. Buni

I was going to just edit my last post, but typing on a touch interface takes time. :p

7. Battle Victory -- N/A
8. Battle Defeat -- N/A
10. Octo Valley -- N/A
19. Sunken Scroll -- N/A
26. Lobby -- N/A
I love the name Calamari Inkantation.

By the way, Sucker Punch = this song?

ffdgh

Someone I friended at Splatfest and I are both running around with Run Speed N-Zaps. It's beautiful.

From a bit of recon testing on trigger fish, that zap buff is nearly equal to 3 run subs on splattershor jr and friends. Echolocators all day long.

edit: actually...the effect gets even stronger with more mains and subs. lol wut?

I only had a few matches to jump in, but I can confirm, Dynamo feels fine to me. I can still control a wide area, covering ground and I've no problem one shotting anything that gets close to me. If anything, the longer range weapons receiving buffs will impact the Dynamo more than its specific nerfs.
The nerf only affects close-range shots anyways; you always needed good aim to get longer OHKOs consistently. And Dynamos still have a gigantic OHKO width so if you're trying to hit someone you probably aren't gonna be affected by the nerf. That said, other rollers won't feel the nerf very often anyways, but occasionally strange shit will be happening and that's when they might miss what would have formerly been an OHKO.

This nerf is more of a shitty player nerf than a roller nerf TBH.

7. Battle Victory -- N/A
8. Battle Defeat -- N/A
10. Octo Valley -- N/A
19. Sunken Scroll -- N/A
26. Lobby -- N/A

So. all bigger splatoon soundtrack name changes
Octotool was changed into Turquoise October
Ika Jamaica / Cala Marley bacame Dubble Bath -- Bob Dub
DJ Lee F. got a full name in DJ Lee Fish
Friend List / ABXY became Shellfie -- Chirpy Chips
Quick Start / ABXY became Split & Splat -- Chirpy Chips

Some strange changes in there. Ah well.

I'mma swimmin'! I'mma splatting! I'm carrying the tower!! I'm flanking the spawn on Bluefin! I'm getting K/D of 8/2 against S and S+!!

....Get 2 points....

Following match two players get DC'd....lose 5 points....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L54s2m1dPs

It's a bit trippy looking back at the original trailer. That CG at the beginning really threw me off when I first saw it. I thought I was about to watch a trailer for a licensed Nick Jr game.

Already brings back some memories from E3 2014.
Splatoon was a bit weird at first but quickly won you over.
Just looking back at the first pages of the fanart thread... it got some love pretty fast. (thread is still alive too)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837761&highlight=

Was also looking back at some other trailers with CG. Of course. They improved on that too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHlgKMUePck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQAhX1TF7Q

I love this patch. It's made it even easier to tell who the roller scrubs are and keeping them far away from the pro rollers as they should be.

69wpm

Well, for me it's time to quit Splatoon. This game isn't fun for me anymore. I hoped the patch would fix things, but it didn't. Match-making is worse than ever. Every single game was a knock-out this morning because teams were incredibly unbalanced. For example: 2 Range Blasters, one .96 Gal and a Splatling against my team, Luna, Splattershot Jr., a .52 Gal and I don't remember the 4th. It was impossible to get near those guys on Dome. The promised S rank match-making didn't work either. At least every second match I ended up with A+ people.

What is worse is the horrible frame-rate that makes the game unplayable for me. I expect 60 fps from Nintendo, not sub 30. Sadly, I won't be buying any more digital titles from Nintendo. After I got burned by Smash and Splatoon, that's it for me.

Solobbos

Played five games just now, none of 'em had all 8 players connected. Hopefully this issues get ironed out, it's not fun to completely own the other team/make them sad by winning 3-2vs4

ChrisD

Give it a day and things should stabilize a bit. It will always be quirky - it's Nintendo and its online - but the first days after a patch seem to be particularly difficult.

69wpm

I don't see the frame-rate stabilising. It's absolute shit against rollers, bomb rush and anything else that involves a lot of ink. If you have 2 rollers against you it's basically luck hitting them. Underpass is a nightmare for me with my Luna.

Heh first thing to come to mind was mario sunshine.
...we're never getting that indian headgear.
It will forever be a display piece in the shop kind of like the various special balls in the Pokeball shop in Pokemon XY.

WVJUujt.png

I wonder if it is also a trick to improve loading times. Now every player won't have those on disc. I'm not sure if there was a big difference. I seem to remember a Japanese MH video found SSD was faster followed by NAND, then disc and conventional external HDD was dead last.
Changing every single map including single player is weird, yeah.
Apparently there were debug functions in Octo Valley. There is also a way to skip world 4 by clipping through a barrier that Speedruns use. That might have been fixed.

woopWOOP

Ohyeah, there was a big patch this week, huh? Just as I got back to playing this game too.

Time to relearn all the weapons and find my new favorite again, then :V

e: N-Zap has increased walk speed? I already had a fun loadout for that weapon with 3 walk speed slots. This gonna be a riot

Geg

The increased movement speed on N-Zaps honestly feels like a mistake or a glitch. Inklings were not meant to move this fast

Rize_21

The dynamo's ink spread has been tuned too, on paper the nerfs sounded good, but it'll be a real joke in game, those who master it will be even more efficient, you'll see, whoever came up with that weapon in mind, I love you.

Top Bottom