• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Patch still doesn't fix the biggest problem (netcode) and most of the changes are so minor that they don't change much. Bored and done with this game still.

I don't see the frame-rate stabilising. It's absolute shit against rollers, bomb rush and anything else that involves a lot of ink. If you have 2 rollers against you it's basically luck hitting them. Underpass is a nightmare for me with my Luna.

Jet Squelcher also tanks the fps like crazy.

Geg

The only time I've ever seen the frame rate slow down in Splatoon is when someone uses suction bomb rush on blackbelly skatepark. Sounds to me like you just have a poor connection

Dr. Buni

The only time I've ever seen the frame rate slow down in Splatoon is when someone uses suction bomb rush on blackbelly skatepark. Sounds to me like you just have a poor connection
Just because you don't experience the problem, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

There's no reason to doubt what other players are saying about server issues or attribute their issues with the online to "you just have a poor connection :^)".

Geg

Connection problems generally are the only reason for framerate issues though. There's no reason for the nasty attitude

phanphare

Banned
Connection problems generally are the only reason for framerate issues though. There's no reason for the nasty attitude

yeah anytime I notice a framerate issue it sorts itself out within 5-10 seconds and then after the match I'll notice somebody DC'd

Kito

Idk if Tower Control has always been like this, but my matches are going into extensive Extra Time and opposing squads are always scoring a last second win. I thought they get 1 more chance on the tower. They lost control THREE times in Extra Time once and Extra Time continued, absolute bullshit.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Whenever I begin firing with the Jet Squelcher at the beginning of a match on Blackbelly Skatepark, the framerate becomes a slideshow for several seconds before stabilizing and being OK for the rest of the match. Every single time, without fail. That doesn't really happen for me on any other stage, though.

phanphare

Banned
Whenever I begin firing with the Jet Squelcher at the beginning of a match on Blackbelly Skatepark, the framerate becomes a slideshow for several seconds before stabilizing and being OK for the rest of the match. Every single time, without fail. That doesn't really happen for me on any other stage, though.

oh that's weird

I'm gonna try that out when I get home lol, I never use the Jet Squelcher

69wpm

Just because you don't experience the problem, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

There's no reason to doubt what other players are saying about server issues or attribute their issues with the online to "you just have a poor connection :^)".

Not really, no. 100 Mbit up and down, LAN connection. I can count the times I've disconnected in this game since launch on both hands. Match-making takes 1 or 2 seconds most of the time. I suspect it might have something to do with the external hard drive, so I'm gonna try and move the game to the internal memory to see if it helps.

Weird, played with it today and didn't notice this behaviour. Will try again later maybe.

Zing

Banned
just curious, why do you like run speed up with the splattershot?
Run speed with Splattershot on Hammerhead is ridiculously strong.

The increased movement speed on N-Zaps honestly feels like a mistake or a glitch. Inklings were not meant to move this fast
I find the NZap to be the worst weapons overall. They don't have the range of Squelchers or Splattershots. They are low powered. They use a ton of ink for the meager amount of coverage they provide. I would always prefer to use the Splattershot Jr, which has virtually unlimited ink, or the Dual Squelcher with its range and power. The NZap needed some sort of boost.

Geg

Yeah I've noticed an increase in tentatek & octoshots running with lots of run speed up ever since that map was released

Whoa, that's weird, never heard of that before. Yeah Blackbelly in particular seems to have all of those kinds of issues. Maybe because it's the smalles stage?

phanphare

Banned

Yeah I've noticed an increase in tentatek & octoshots running with lots of run speed up ever since that map was released

interesting, might have to give it a try

hopefully there's some head gear that has ink recovery up and run speed up as the main/sub combo. I would hate to lose ink recovery up but could definitely do without special charge up.

StAidan

Not that I've played in forever, but ever since the major August patch, I saw the Blackbelly slideshow at the beginning of pretty much every match, and it didn't seem tied to any particular weapon, but who knows. I think it might have only happened when dropping down into the hilly area on the right (as opposed to taking the left high ground), but I can't say for sure.

J@hranimo

Banned
I personally don't see the skatepark framerate slow down unless I caused it with burst bomb rush..even then it doesn't happen every time. I'm wired btw and have solved most of my connection issues from about a month ago so I rarely get dc as well.

TM25

Neo Member
I've heard people complain about Blackbelly but never witnessed it. Not for myself or when people stream but that could perhaps be the delay on twitch.

Is there a gear trading place set up? I re-rolled the green hi tops (Ink Recovery Krak-On), and I rolled triple super jump and wondered if someone wanted to try ordering. I know Spyke is trash but still.

dinazimmerman

Incurious Bastard
I've heard people complain about Blackbelly but never witnessed it. Not for myself or when people stream but that could perhaps be the delay on twitch.

Is there a gear trading place set up? I re-rolled the green hi tops (Ink Recovery Krak-On), and I rolled triple super jump and wondered if someone wanted to try ordering. I know Spyke is trash but still.

Discord is where you're most likely to get a response.

Saro

I find the NZap to be the worst weapons overall. They don't have the range of Squelchers or Splattershots. They are low powered. They use a ton of ink for the meager amount of coverage they provide. I would always prefer to use the Splattershot Jr, which has virtually unlimited ink, or the Dual Squelcher with its range and power. The NZap needed some sort of boost.

The nzap has the same range as the splatter shot/tentatek/octoshot. The walk speed up buff, the lack of a damage nerf on it, and its kill speed might make it rise in popularity in the meta.

Zing

Banned
I guess it just felt shorter since it takes more hits to KO over the Tentatek. I don't know how James used to do so well with it. It blows worse than rapid blaster for me, and that one was awful.

The 0.75 second period aften Kraken expires where you cannot use at all your main and sub weapon is brutal. Was this nerf really necessary?
Yes, it was. Due to latency, the kraken user had a guaranteed KO against anyone, since they had no time to respond after Kraken expired.

So unless you live in Europe, playing against Japanese players, you will have latency lower than 750ms and be able to respond to a Kraken. ;)

69wpm

I don't get it. Tested some matches today with different weapons. I only get the huge slow-down when I use the Blaster. So weird. Against a Dynamo I couldn't shoot because the game didn't respond at all.

If my connection's hitting the shitter then I get FPS issues.

But those mostly cleared up eventually aside from when somebody used the microwave.

I suspect it might have something to do with the external hard drive, so I'm gonna try and move the game to the internal memory to see if it helps.

I don't want to say "Well, there's your problem", but I have seen on a very healthy amount of the phantom Wii U problems that only affect one person, the issue ultimately came back to things being on the external hard drive. The Wii U just does not like the USB port.

So the Blaster and Roller nerfs are non-existent when dealing with Japan. Same * as ever.
On their screen those Japanese players were always hitting you directly or aiming at you accurately to begin with so of course the nerfs wouldn't affect much. :p
Dynamo Roller seems significantly weaker at long range.

I'm annoyed that NZap now seems faster than Nozzlenose.
On Azure's stream the Dynamo looked more or less the same to me. You always needed to land multiple hits with one swing to "OHKO" at 3+ bars in the training room. And past that shit gets flaky as hell, even with 3 Damage Up mains and some subs.

Ugh E-Liters camping on that same spot of moray towers still know how to completely ruin a match. Especially when the glorious match making decides to put multiple ones on the same team and leave the other team with all the short range weapons. Can't co-ordinate a team or charge specials so they just run in one after the other getting meat grinded. Usually in those situations I find an inkstrike, wail or kraken onto lame camper position can buy enough time to overrun them.

Also games netcode still has issues. Had my fair share of 3v4 matches. Losing/winning for little reason than "they had more/less guys" is getting old. Maybe I should stick to ranked (if it happens there it is less obvious) but I like to try new things in turf wars.

A few days ago I did have my first in match disconnection on my new connection. An unceremonious "the connection was lost".

Yes, it was. Due to latency, the kraken user had a guaranteed KO against anyone, since they had no time to respond after Kraken expired.
I saw a roller go out of kraken form and immediately roll under this new patch. That should be a demonstration of the effects of latency.

I saw a roller go out of kraken form and immediately roll under this new patch. That should be a demonstration of the effects of latency.
Sorry, but... LMFAO that is some serious bullshit.

Even if there's severe latency, on your end there should still be .75 seconds after the kraken ends for you to splat him before he starts rolling. It's not suppose to extend the kraken's duration to cover him like that. What kind of netcode is this!?

Gila Moo

Neo Member
So I just got my pre-order copy of the Splatoon artbook today which also came along with a Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi JP disc which I've never even ordered or was charged for it.

Weird...

ChrisD

On their screen those Japanese players were always hitting you directly or aiming at you accurately to begin with so of course the nerfs wouldn't affect much. :p

Completely true, but I hoped maybe things would change just a wee bit since if they were barely off on their screen it should mean what was once a one-shot kill is now a two-shot. I guess they really do have godly aim. :L

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Took a self imposed break after I hit Level 50 to play some other games but I'm getting right back in with Version 2.2, some of the weapons I've missed out on and hopefully some new maps (though there was already plenty).

I missed SplatoonGAF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L54s2m1dPs

It's a bit trippy looking back at the original trailer. That CG at the beginning really threw me off when I first saw it. I thought I was about to watch a trailer for a licensed Nick Jr game.

Wow @ that new inkstrike

Geg

Going by the rest of his twitter I'm pretty sure he was joking. lol
Obviously that reaction is exaggerated but in other tweets he says he's frustrated about not getting kills doing things that used to be able to

Took a self imposed break after I hit Level 50 to play some other games but I'm getting right back in with Version 2.2, some of the weapons I've missed out on and hopefully some new maps (though there was already plenty).

I missed SplatoonGAF.

Kas is back!!

khaaan

Guys, please tell me how to stop disconnecting ;_;

Does it have to come to buying a LAN adapter and moving the Wii U to my PC? How much would a dedicated router help versus my current modem-router combo? Some days I have flawless connectivity and others I can't even get to a match. On the worst day there was no intro Callie + Marie message because I wasn't connected to the internet and so they had nothing to update me on.

Crawled my way up to B, hopefully my connection tonight is solid enough to play some. I haven't played for a week or two because of life/Dragon Quest Heroes.

Obviously that reaction is exaggerated but in other tweets he says he's frustrated about not getting kills doing things that used to be able to
Yes, but there's a huge difference between saying that, which is true, and being seriously affected. He got back to 99 with the roller so he'll probably be fine. lol

To be serious for a moment, all roller players who fling at enemy ink to eliminate hiders will be affected by this nerf. So anybody competent. Because when you can't see the enemy you can't aim and *that* situation, which is pretty common, is when you are most likely to get the edge kills that are now gone.

But anyways, I'm pretty damn sure the Japanese guy knows how to aim. lol

Azure J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L54s2m1dPs

It's a bit trippy looking back at the original trailer. That CG at the beginning really threw me off when I first saw it. I thought I was about to watch a trailer for a licensed Nick Jr game.

I remember being very much sold on the game from the jump (moreso because of the developer commentary and hilarious things like "what if they were squids?") but thinking the entire time that it was going to be one of those "fun but non-consuming" multiplayer titles, like how everyone can play rounds of Mario Kart but not that many people go extra hard for it.

Now I have a file with an ungodly amount of time spent on it and have barely played anything else.

With that said, I kinda want that beta Saltspray and Warehouse to fuck around on. :lol

Fake Edit: This version of Splattack has an almost Chalk Zone opening like chant going on midway through making it even more awesome because Chalk Zone has a GOAT opening.

ffdgh

Huh...had a very rare stroke of luck with the cheapskate. Fast as heck now lol.
jJQw9dt.jpg

Azure J

Huh...had a very rare stroke of luck with the cheapskate. Fast as heck now lol.

...bruh

Saddest part is I got that shirt with two swim speed ups when I bought it off of some other JPN player and the third slot not being a swim speed makes me sad every time I see it. :lol

ss-hikaru

I usually don't notice lag-affected deaths (usually just put it down to me not being good/aware enough) but had a case last night where I splatted an enemy inkling and was self-congratulating myself for a good couple of seconds only to get splatted by what I thought was a second enemy inkling. "Aw damn there were two of them!" is what I thought only for the kill to get attributed to the inky mess on the ground of my vanquished opponent. Had a good laugh at that :p

Man I want to try the hydra splatling SO BAAADDD.

Top Bottom