• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Geg

Damn Spyke completely botched my order of Jeff Vader's Studio Headphones. Couldn't even get a single sub ability filled

Hands me the headphones with zero slots filled just the way it would be if I bought it in the store normally saying "This was the best I could do" like really Spyke? Was it really?

Damn Spyke completely botched my order of Jeff Vader's Studio Headphones. Couldn't even get a single sub ability filled

Hands me the headphones with zero slots filled just the way it would be if I bought it in the store normally saying "This was the best I could do" like really Spyke? Was it really?

Spyke is totally peddling illegal black market squid threads. That's why his quality is so random.

J@hranimo

Banned
Huh...had a very rare stroke of luck with the cheapskate. Fast as heck now lol.

Ha, wow. I rerolled that shirt a couple of times and got two swim speed up subs. Lucky you got three!

I'd rather have Spyke than the Cryptarch.

As a person who once played Destiny for about two months, you speak the truth. Such bullshit the Cryptarch was >_>

Also while I'm sure most of us may have a grasp on the changes in the recent balance patch, Nintendome made a video showing all the weapons before and after the changes. Really helps for a visual learner like myself.

69wpm

I get to 97 points and what happens? Splatoon mixes me up with 3 snipers on Saltspray. Of course we lost because those idiots didn't do shit. Fuck you, Splatoon.

Geg

Splatoon finally getting a bundle in Japan, releases November 12

VO5QwsAl.jpg

Apparently it's just a limited run though

Zing

Banned
Sorry, but... LMFAO that is some serious bullshit.

Even if there's severe latency, on your end there should still be .75 seconds after the kraken ends for you to splat him before he starts rolling. It's not suppose to extend the kraken's duration to cover him like that. What kind of netcode is this!?
I vastly prefer this to the alternative, and I bet most other people would also. The current netcode gives priority for events such as special usage and hits to the client that uses them. This ensures that every time you see a hit on your screen, it ultimately registers as a hit. If you use kraken or bubbler, it will always register as have been used, regardless of what the other players see on their screen.

The alternative would result in even more frustrating situations, such as chasing someone around and none of your hits registering, or using a kraken then suddenly getting splatted a few seconds later. It would be a mess.

Nico_D

I wonder if Nintendo has tightened some screw or something because there's constantly someone dropping off during Turf War and either side ends up playing 3v4. It's been me in three or four matches this afternoon.

ChrisD

I wonder if people will still be completely oblivious on how to play Saltspray Rig three years from now. All signs point to yes.

Also people won't even use Splash Wall now and it's cracking me up. It's still good, but I guess in their minds it goes against some code or something.

The current netcode gives priority for events such as special usage and hits to the client that uses them. This ensures that every time you see a hit on your screen, it ultimately registers as a hit. If you use kraken or bubbler, it will always register as have been used, regardless of what the other players see on their screen.

The alternative would result in even more frustrating situations, such as chasing someone around and none of your hits registering, or using a kraken then suddenly getting splatted a few seconds later. It would be a mess.

The “priority” doesn't always work like that though; your example does happen. I remember one specific situation where I activated a Kraken and got splatted right afterwards (the Special Gauge clearly had depleted by a small amount). This video shows a Kraken stuck in enemy ink and splatted while active, after about 5 seconds.

Also people won't even use Splash Wall now and it's cracking me up. It's still good, but I guess in their minds it goes against some code or something.
The 2.67-second delay of no ink recovery after using it makes you quite vulnerable. It can barely tank enemy attacks for one second now.

ChrisD

One second of a wall is still a second that your team is safe from fire. It just can't be thrown and stay out long enough to allow you to cover ground, recover ink, and then throw one again. It's now an offensive tool for your team, or a defensive tool for you. Rather than both for everyone.

I didn't know it stopped Ink Recovery for that long, though. Not sure if that was needed at the same time. Either one would have done a lot.

Zing

Banned
I appreciate the increased recovery time on splash wall and other sub weapons. It makes ink saver sub actually useful.

Geg

Man, even with the nerf there are very few options the CDS has against splash walls. It just means it takes a little less time to slowly chip away at its HP.

Walls definitely won't be disappearing anytime soon. They still shut down a good number of weapons

Malus

Splatoon play log is at 279 hours. My most played game yet (although i know that's nothing compared to some of you lol). Monster Hunter Tri is 2nd at 250, and it felt like I spent forever on that game. I don't feel like I'll be dropping Splatoon for a little while as more content gets released. SSBB 3rd at 220. Xenoblade a distant 4th at 150 hours. Skyward Sword 120.

I'm surprised playstation doesn't have a play log feature, at least that I'm aware of.

Greddleok

I wonder if people will still be completely oblivious on how to play Saltspray Rig three years from now. All signs point to yes.

As one of those people who is completely oblivious to any strategies other than splat the ground and/or splat other players, how do you play salt spray rig?

Nico_D

The top section is over half the total surface. You rush the top and hold it like a fortress.

Surprising number of Turf Players still don't know this.

Though it must be said, defending the fortress can be boring as hell and I understand if sometimes someone crosses the moat to go look for adventures that lie beyond.

atr0cious

Yeah. But unlikely to succeed. I've seen it done only couple of times.

If you have one good teammate it's possible. Everytime DaBoss and I have been in that situation, at least twice or more, we've won. All you have to do is split up at spawn and make your shots count and you can clean up the bottom half quick.

atr0cious

Just don't have the whole team up there. Gotta keep applying pressure and ink around.

This is my main point. I was just objecting to whether or not there was more than the bottom, which isn't true. You need at least one person holding/distracting the mid, or you'll lose and not realise it. Fortunately, rig's flow inherently compels players to that spot, so it really is about keeping busy the final 30 seconds.

Already brings back some memories from E3 2014.
Splatoon was a bit weird at first but quickly won you over.
Just looking back at the first pages of the fanart thread... it got some love pretty fast. (thread is still alive too)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837761&highlight=

Was also looking back at some other trailers with CG. Of course. They improved on that too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHlgKMUePck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjQAhX1TF7Q

We can't forget the reactions from the NDE 2014 thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834728&page=44

Arkanius

Just bought the game yesterday since I managed to grab it at a good price (30€ new)
God damn, it's so much fun. I'm still getting used to the Gyro controls but I can see how much better it is to aim compared to dual analog (I prefer my FPS with Mouse + Keyboard, or wiimote! )

I get so many Jet Set Radio vibes playing this. Feel like a teenager again. Love it. Leveling up seems a bit slow though, not so many points won between Normal battles (Do Ranked battles give more points).

Love the Roller painter and paint most of the map that my team usually forgets. Still have to try the Sniper rifle.

Just bought the game yesterday since I managed to grab it at a good price (30€ new)
God damn, it's so much fun. I'm still getting used to the Gyro controls but I can see how much better it is to aim compared to dual analog (I prefer my FPS with Mouse + Keyboard, or wiimote! )

I get so many Jet Set Radio vibes playing this. Feel like a teenager again. Love it. Leveling up seems a bit slow though, not so many points won between Normal battles (Do Ranked battles give more points)

Ranked battles give tons of points. Up to 6,500 at S+ rank. I think C- starts you off at 1,800 per win. The level up system changes after level 20, but it's still faster to get to max with ranked.

As to the Charger, just give it time. It's one of the more difficult weapons to use. Come play with us if you want any practice.

We can't forget the reactions from the NDE 2014 thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834728&page=44
That is page 88 for 50 posts per page people. Here was my reaction:
A cool take on the domination style shooter.
Little did I know that it was splat zones which was the traditional domination/control mode...

I get so many Jet Set Radio vibes playing this. Feel like a teenager again. Love it. Leveling up seems a bit slow though, not so many points won between Normal battles (Do Ranked battles give more points).

Love the Roller painter and paint most of the map that my team usually forgets. Still have to try the Sniper rifle.
Don't be afraid to change the sensitivity settings too. I also find the camera reset button is what makes the gyro shine.

In terms of points ranked gives more with the caveat that losing gets you nothing (unless that match goes into overtime in which case next to nothing) which can get frustrating. However don't get discouraged, mathematically with a 50% win rate it is usually faster than turf wars. I still use turf wars for messing around (some shorter ranged weapons can have problems in ranked) and leveling up gear.

Kito

If the opposing squad in ranked outnumber your snipers and/or Japanese OHKO splattershoters, your loss is almost guaranteed.

rrs

If the opposing squad in ranked outnumber your snipers and/or Japanese OHKO splattershoters, your loss is almost guaranteed.

that happened to me on blackfin skatepark, 3 fucking snipers killing me like I'm playing against smurfs on CS:GO

Geg

So what's going on there, is the rainmaker holder using the knockback from firing to move forward? Honestly, compared to that it looks like constantly just firing short bursts ahead of you and swimming through those is a lot faster

Azure J

So what's going on there, is the rainmaker holder using the knockback from firing to move forward? Honestly, compared to that it looks like constantly just firing short bursts ahead of you and swimming through those is a lot faster

Yeah. I definitely remember doing something dumb like this a while back on stream but never looked into it any further.

Already guessing this will be a repeat of Art vs Science's close calls. Ninjas will barely lose, but I'm still going for their team, because of Team WhateverMariePicks

Secretly it's team opposite of Jeff Vader's choice

Top Bottom