• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ChrisD

When you look away before the battle starts so you miss the ranks.

And you're 100% certain your teammates are A+ at best because they legit have no game sense.

And then it turns out all three are S+.

Holy *

@Above, it's also different from Splatling Deco. It's not unseen though, Rapid Blaster Deco also has the arrows.

Ansatz

The players you get in ranked are hit and miss, at least half of my games are simply not enjoyable. I'm playing on my alt account which I got to S rank, so a loss in itself is irrelevant.

The individual skill of them is high, like in a 1v1 duel in terms of movement and aim, however their decision making and teamwork is sometimes extremely poor. I'm talking about amateur mistakes like trying to sneak around on Walleye SZ, thus rendering the all-important beginning a 4v3 for some time and they usually fail anyway even if we somehow manage not to get pushed back / die. This happened twice out of four games, one of them resulted in an instant wipe and from there he match is basically over, in large part because of that one simple decision.

And on Bluefin Depot SZ at the start I did an offensive rush and while I was duelling inside the zone, a player from the other team jumped in behind me from the ramp closest to our side of the map while all of my 3 teammates were alive and had passive positions; it's their job to cover me ffs. I was the one confronting the other team while they stood relatively safe behind me / above the zone. It's ridiculous how you can't depend on your teammates on S tier in this simple scenario. We still won that game but I was pissed off by that one simple incident and couldn't enjoy playing the remaining match.

Don't get me started on freaking E-liters who play in close quarter combat positions for the majority of a match on freaking arowana mall. I thought heck yeah finally the sniper is on my team, just stand on a platform and create space for us to work with but no the guy rushed up to mid, mostly attacking with burst bombs WTF. I was so pissed off that I couldn't take the following game seriously, so I lost that one too.

When you play with people that know their shit and everything clicks then the game is just phenomenal, even if you eventually loose the match. Sadly on the highest rank tier, this doesn't happen as often as I'd like. I'm guessing the really skilled people play mostly on private servers and squad battles.

The players you get in ranked are hit and miss, at least half of my games are simply not enjoyable. I'm playing on my alt account which I got to S rank, so a loss in itself is irrelevant.

The individual skill of them is high, like in a 1v1 duel in terms of movement and aim, however their decision making and teamwork is sometimes extremely poor. I'm talking about amateur mistakes like trying to sneak around on Walleye SZ, thus rendering the all-important beginning a 4v3 for some time and they usually fail anyway even if we somehow manage not to get pushed back / die. This happened twice out of four games, one of them resulted in an instant wipe and from there he match is basically over, in large part because of that one simple decision.

And on Bluefin Depot SZ at the start I did an offensive rush and while I was duelling inside the zone, a player from the other team jumped in behind me from the ramp closest to our side of the map while all of my 3 teammates were alive and had passive positions; it's their job to cover me ffs. I was the one confronting the other team while they stood relatively safe behind me / above the zone. It's ridiculous how you can't depend on your teammates on S tier in this simple scenario. We still won that game but I was pissed off by that one simple incident and couldn't enjoy playing the remaining match.

Don't get me started on freaking E-liters who play in close quarter combat positions for the majority of a match on freaking arowana mall. I thought heck yeah finally the sniper is on my team, just stand on a platform and create space for us to work with but no the guy rushed up to mid, mostly attacking with burst bombs WTF. I was so pissed off that I couldn't take the following game seriously, so I lost that one too.

When you play with people that know their shit and everything clicks then the game is just phenomenal, even if you eventually loose the match. Sadly on the highest rank tier, this doesn't happen as often as I'd like. I'm guessing the really skilled people play mostly on private servers and squad battles.
Have you joined the SplatGAF discord server yet? We're squadding almost every night, so if you're interested in playing with us, just look for the Discord invite in the following post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=174513738&postcount=2

Just as an FYI, Discord is mainly an instant messaging app, but you can organize voice chat with folks on Discord as well.

Wiseblade

I'm loving this ranked rotation, my Mini Splatling loadout was made for Saltspray Rig Splat Zones. Moray Towers isn't a bad companion map, since SZ makes it a little less Charger focused.

What I'm not liking are these connection errors.

Moondrop

Banned
The H-3 Nozzlenose D is intriguing.

If you believe that all weapons were carefully crafted to fill a niche, then it's easy to accept that the Heavy Nozzlenose has yet to find its home. It lacks the firing rate and mobility to imitate the close range tactics of the L3, nor does it have the sustained ink output to serve as a backstop like the squelchers. But consider that many weapons are often hybrids, bordering on the edge of another class. What if the H3 is intended to be the charger of the shooter class?

This is entirely based on its ability to splat with a single burst at 3.5 line range. I've tried to implement a long-range assassin style, and it's pretty fun. But the learning curve for the H3 is as steep as a cliff face- you either splat in a burst, or starting fleeing as soon as you miss because you'll rarely get a second chance.

Theorycrafting the H-3 D is particularly curious in that it needs no boosts to its baseline kit- the gun, point sensors, and inkzooka all work fine on their own. In fact I can't think of any truly consequential skills except perhaps damage up, so I'm trying a ninja squid build to improve positioning and escapes. Just leaves more room for freshness I suppose- tinted shades in particular seem to fit this weapon.

Last but not least you get a sweet dolphin sticker.

ss-hikaru

Mmmmm, one of the reasons I'm comfortable staying in turf wars, I haven't played much ranked so don't know the 'common sense' strategies. If you don't mind, what are the absolute must dos and do nots for each ranked mode? I hate feeling like I'm the one dragging the team down >.<

Geg

QABcQvq.jpg

Jason got fucking owned

DangerMan

Banned
Remember 12/2

CUs0YlgU8AA6D0R.jpg:large

Isn't this just a bunch of Nintendo employees playing each other? Where's my playable Octolings!?! Nintendo needs to do something to make the game feel more alive, everytime I boot it up it feels so empty. Sure the game is still a ton of fun when connection issues aren't ruining it, but no number of new weapons is going to make the game feel as fresh as when it first came out. Maybe it's just been too long since the last SplatFest though...

ChrisD

If new weapons and gear that changes the way you play aren't fresh, what makes Octolings fresh? I want them too, but some of you may want them a bit too much. :p

Last game of the night, a 97-0 Win. No Knockout was allowed lol.

This was such a fun rotation for Speedy Gonzales Jr. (Museum and Camp RM). Though, I still stand by my early opinion of Museum RM sucking if one team gets early distance. It's a turtle situation worse than Warehouse, which saddens me because the elevation and spinny platforms can make for some cool RM plays.

I think there should be a climbable crate in that little nook on the bottom layer of the map (where the two small blocks sit). Would make for a third RM path as well as open up flanking opportunities.

correojon

I think flanking on Wally´s is a valid strategy, even in SZ. I´m an Octobrush user and most times I flank from the left in the begginning, laying down beacons as I go and sometimes going all the way to the other side of the center zone, so I can kill a respawning enemy and cut off reinforcements. Then I enter the center from behind the enemy and it´s pretty common to get 2 kills, or just unleash the Kraken (I roll a lot of special ups so I can charge it very fast) and send the enemy running, so my team has an opportunity to gain a strong position. Also, my beacons allow for killed teammates to get back into the action pretty fast and in a nice position to flank the enemy. It works more times than not.
Besides, what am I supposed to do with the Octobrush? Going face to face in a direct confrontation is a suicide against any competent player as most weapons outrange mine and with the floor still unpainted at the beginning of the match I can´t swim around to close the distance.

phanphare

Banned
Isn't this just a bunch of Nintendo employees playing each other? Where's my playable Octolings!?! Nintendo needs to do something to make the game feel more alive, everytime I boot it up it feels so empty. Sure the game is still a ton of fun when connection issues aren't ruining it, but no number of new weapons is going to make the game feel as fresh as when it first came out. Maybe it's just been too long since the last SplatFest though...

yeah but they said they're going to share their ideas for different ways to play in a tournament setting

should be pretty cool to hear what they think, at least

WALKMAN04

I bet it will 'wacky' stuff like Turf Wars only or Ink Brush only, I have very low expectations for this :p
Nintendo is going to confirm Swiss format superior, disconnect while winning can't be replayed, 40min wait time in between rounds is healthy as it ensures breaks, and most importantly rainmaker isn't competitive.

Azure J

Nintendo is going to confirm Swiss format superior, disconnect while winning can't be replayed, 40min wait time in between rounds is healthy as it ensures breaks, and most importantly rainmaker isn't competitive.

They'll also flip the maintenance button in the middle of GFs to make it "authentic".

Ansatz

Mmmmm, one of the reasons I'm comfortable staying in turf wars, I haven't played much ranked so don't know the 'common sense' strategies. If you don't mind, what are the absolute must dos and do nots for each ranked mode? I hate feeling like I'm the one dragging the team down >.<

Keep in mind I'm not complaining about the players themselves, it's the job of the ranking system to match players of equal skill so you shouldn't feel any pressure. As I said everyone knows how to act in a 1v1 duel, so to stand out and win games you must have a) an effective gameplan and b) superior teamwork. Have an answer for every situation you might find yourself in and don't let your teammates die without at least trading the kill.

It's hard to get specific since there are infinitely many tactics that can win games, but I would say how you act depends on both team's weapon compositions. You have to adjust your playstyle based on what you're facing and the weapon you're using. Rollers love having alot of ink to swim around in, so try not to give them much to work with. They usually wreck teams if they can roam around freely. If you deny them space then they are forced to camp, so watch out for them lurking around the corners. Stuff like that.

I think flanking on Wally´s is a valid strategy, even in SZ. I´m an Octobrush user and most times I flank from the left in the begginning, laying down beacons as I go and sometimes going all the way to the other side of the center zone, so I can kill a respawning enemy and cut off reinforcements. Then I enter the center from behind the enemy and it´s pretty common to get 2 kills, or just unleash the Kraken (I roll a lot of special ups so I can charge it very fast) and send the enemy running, so my team has an opportunity to gain a strong position. Also, my beacons allow for killed teammates to get back into the action pretty fast and in a nice position to flank the enemy. It works more times than not.
Besides, what am I supposed to do with the Octobrush? Going face to face in a direct confrontation is a suicide against any competent player as most weapons outrange mine and with the floor still unpainted at the beginning of the match I can´t swim around to close the distance.

Imo flanking using the left incline renders you useless for way too long. It only works if your team can stall long enough and if none of them notice you on the gamepad screen.

One of the two games my teammates did that resulted in an instant wipe, because they made an aggressive rush on the remaining three player while the sneaker did place a beacon but died as they realized what was going on. The second time our sneaker did get a kill, but the rest of us were dead/pushed back so it didn't help much at that point.

Junahu

That feel when you go sub 400p in turf war.

You are a failure.
Depends on what other things you're doing to contribute. I can end up below that threshold on Arowana Mall as a charger, when I stay on my perch and snipe the people who try to make a break across the middle (staying put also acts as a convenient super-jump point for my team). It doesn't mean I didn't do anything, it just means my end-of-game stats are low.

ChrisD

What does A+ even mean anymooooooorrrreeeeee.
This is C- business. ;-;

Edit: Lemme' save everyone here some time by dropping you some knowledge.
Never.
Under ANY circumstance.
Play in a Ranked Rotation consisting of Moray Towers and Arowana Mall.
Everyone thinks they're the next Sniping God.
Nobody can shoot a stationary apple.

Trust me.
It's not worth losing your sanity. I saw two games of that business and shut the game back off.

Kito

I always destroy beakons after super jumping to them and it makes me feel fat, because some super jumpers don't - what makes them so special?

Geg

Yeah if you see someone super jump to a beakon and a beakon's still there, it means they have beakons as their sub and they're replacing it immediately upon landing

Nightii

Banned
Splat Zones on Camp Triggerfish and Museum D'Alfonsino is so much fun!

Camp in special is working out so well with the Slosher Deco, I focus on maintaining a solid foothold on the zone on our side at first, slowly making a path to the other Zone and then bam! I have full bar and rush the enemy with Kraken, from there, it is surpringly simple holding the zone mostly by yourself with the Splash Wall, since there is only one easy route to the zone from the enemy side.

Obviously there are ways to stop this and you need teammates that can keep proper control of the other zone and support you, but so far it has worked great, I'm gonna miss this rotation.

DangerMan

Banned
If new weapons and gear that changes the way you play aren't fresh, what makes Octolings fresh? I want them too, but some of you may want them a bit too much. :p

Octolings would make the plaza feel fresher for sure, more gear helps with that too. The weapons they've released more recently aren't exactly changing the way I play though. If they were to come out with a new weapon class it would help but I know I can't think of anything else they could do. Automatic guns, three-round burst guns, snipers, buckets, gatling guns, rollers, brushes... what else could they do?

yeah but they said they're going to share their ideas for different ways to play in a tournament setting

should be pretty cool to hear what they think, at least

I wish I could actually find some Splatoon tournaments to play in. I mean local tournaments not online. IIRC you don't even need an internet connection to do private battles, you can have 8 Wii Us connection through a network switch with no internet and still do private battles right?

Yeah if you see someone super jump to a beakon and a beakon's still there, it means they have beakons as their sub and they're replacing it immediately upon landing
Are you sure? I've jumped to beacons and I didn't break it before. Perhaps it was a bug or something early out they sorted but I remember that there were times where I could jump to beacons without breaking them. I never noticed they broke until I had them as my sub for the first time.

Robotguy

Are you sure? I've jumped to beacons and I didn't break it before. Perhaps it was a bug or something early out they sorted but I remember that there were times where I could jump to beacons without breaking them. I never noticed they broke until I had them as my sub for the first time.
It can happen if a beakon user jumps to one then you jump to the same one before they get there. They then replace the old one when they land. When you land you won't break the new beakon.

Geg

Splat Zones on Camp Triggerfish and Museum D'Alfonsino is so much fun!

Camp in special is working out so well with the Slosher Deco, I focus on maintaining a solid foothold on the zone on our side at first, slowly making a path to the other Zone and then bam! I have full bar and rush the enemy with Kraken, from there, it is surpringly simple holding the zone mostly by yourself with the Splash Wall, since there is only one easy route to the zone from the enemy side.

Obviously there are ways to stop this and you need teammates that can keep proper control of the other zone and support you, but so far it has worked great, I'm gonna miss this rotation.

Splat Zones on Camp Triggerfish is probably my favorite map/mode combo; the way the stage is laid out gives it such a different type of strategy compared to SZ on other stages, and really requires everyone on your team to play to their strengths and fulfill their own role, whether it's to invade the enemy side or stay back and protect your own zone from invaders, though that makes it kind of hard for teams to coordinate in solo ranked. Still, it's where I made my final rank up to S.

ChrisD

Alright, I can confirm with 100% certainty the rating loss bug is still a thing. Dropped to S 64 from S 68 and made a comment to my sister on N64 being beat out by the S64. Hit lobby as soon as the options popped up. Entered lobby with S 59.

Just a heads up for a months old issue.

Top Bottom