• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

phanphare

Banned
So I decided to put one of my scores up on reddit:

Sometimes bad teammates can be a good thing

I meant that in the way that since they're not turfing that much, I can just reap the money.

I'm being called out guys:

Reddit says I'm being a bad player in turf war for focusing on painting turf guys, help.

Could be worse

I mean, they have the right idea. except you were also 6-0 so they don't have the right idea.

Wiseblade

So I decided to put one of my scores up on reddit:

Sometimes bad teammates can be a good thing

I meant that in the way that since they're not turfing that much, I can just reap the money.

I'm being called out guys:

Reddit says I'm being a bad player in turf war for focusing on painting turf guys, help.

Could be worse, Kappa
I kind of have to agree about the teammates. A couple of them had levels in the single digits; you should temper your expectations. Especially these days where the game is far less forgiving now than it was at launch. If anything I'd say your score is down to bad opponents.

I don't get that "not contributing to the victory" comment though. Unless you spent 3 minutes inking walls or targeting one spot repeatedly, you contributed your fair share and then some.

ChrisD

They weren't bad. They just weren't great. :p

So here's a story you probably won't hear much; I lost my Splat Zones match to a fly. Game was going back-and-forth, really tense, we go into Overtime, and FLY. IN THE EAR. I'm shaking my head trying to get the thing off and it kept coming back! Trying to keep my arms still for gyro aim to work, but shaking my head wasn't working, and it even flew onto my face, so I tried to swat it away. The moment I did that my screen just lost it and I didn't have time to re-adjust my camera to hit the enemy. Soon as the game ended, the freaking thing flew away.

I SWEAR.

I kind of have to agree about the teammates. A couple of them had levels in the single digits; you should temper your expectations. Especially these days where the game is far less forgiving now than it was at launch. If anything I'd say your score is down to bad opponents.
It requires a fine balance. If the opponents are too bad they get pushed back to the spawn and you limit your score by the fact the never take control back of anything and if your team mates are too good at inking you end up sharing the divides more equally.

Though sometimes if purely going for points it can pay to be on the losing team provided you still have some stage control as there is always fresh ground. The museum is just good for scores in general though.

Ansatz

For SZ, TC, or RM?

I guess SZ best represents what I'm thinking about. Say you've wiped the other team, fully inked the upper areas and now you're in for wave after wave of them trying to break through your defense. How do you deny them access past their 1/3? I mean there are no obvious choke points or critical locations such as the mid pillar on skatepark. I just have no clue where to position myself to most effectively fend off their attempt at taking over mid.

ChrisD

Forgive me spamming the thread, but my "screw whatever the world has against me Chronicles" are too real to not post again.

Started game.
Only three of us on spawn platform.
Hammerhead Rainmaker.

Fly, AFK, Man teleporting and no ink coming out of his gun until seconds later(?) killing you when he's been dead, 3v4 at spawn.

Someone, how do I undo whatever curse has settled above my head? I was actually making mad progress to S72. Now I'm 56. D:

Not sure if anyone wants to make a topic on this but Splatoon won a BAFTA Children's Award for best game in 2015.

http://awards.bafta.org/award/2015/childrens/game
The Nintendo UK twitter posted this pic a few hours ago:
CUhKyPxWIAE6Q2Q.jpg:orig
I like how the Golden Joystick next to it is for Best Nintendo game
(it was a Rare year when Nintendo didn't win that)

And because I'm a...curious person I made a thread.
Don't blame me for what happens SplatGAF, you wanted this

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It requires a fine balance. If the opponents are too bad they get pushed back to the spawn and you limit your score by the fact the never take control back of anything and if your team mates are too good at inking you end up sharing the divides more equally.

Though sometimes if purely going for points it can pay to be on the losing team provided you still have some stage control as there is always fresh ground. The museum is just good for scores in general though.

The trick is to let one of them out (preferably an oblivious roller) and just follow them around painting right behind them, as your team holds the others in spawn.

ss-hikaru

Wow all the people here getting to S+. I'm still B+, I don't play ranked often because I keep doing turf wars to level up gear FOR ranked, but there's so much gear and not many sea snails and turf is fun and my luck sucks so i never get the abilities I want and hence I don't level up in ranked ^^;

Japan 8th Splatfest

Land food vs. Sea food

Popularity 48% vs. 52%
Winning rate 49% vs. 51%
Final score 342 vs. 358

Sea food wins.

As I expect, even though I still choose team land food. :p

I knew it, the one splatfest I couldn't participate in my team won -_- Was pretty tight though it seems.

Kito

I guess SZ best represents what I'm thinking about. Say you've wiped the other team, fully inked the upper areas and now you're in for wave after wave of them trying to break through your defense. How do you deny them access past their 1/3? I mean there are no obvious choke points or critical locations such as the mid pillar on skatepark. I just have no clue where to position myself to most effectively fend off their attempt at taking over mid.

Flounder and Saltspray are the two SZ maps I don't push forward. If I'm on right side of the map, I usually position myself on this little block - great vantage - and guard the splat zone.

ChrisD

Is the rank drop bug still a thing or was I just not paying attention. Could have sworn I just lost 4, but my total went down by 8.

Maybe I just forgot my count. I just know the game hates me today, lol.

Edit: There is not a single Special in this game I find more conceptually broken/annoying than the freaking Inkzooka. Bubbler? Yeah, it's a giant screw you button, and it's literal invulnerability. But it has no oomph behind it past what was already there. Echolocator? Knowing where enemies are at is a definite advantage, but the enemies know they're marked and can shut a whole Special down with a Shirt. Killer Wail you know it's coming... But 'Zooka? No warning, no way TO know other than just keep in mind, "yeah, he may have a global nuke at any moment, better make sure I'm never in the line of his fire!"

I just wish there was a slight moment that it couldn't be fired. I like that there exists something to reach the pesky back line. But a seven+ shot Special that shows no warning to coming out doesn't quite seem the way to do it.

I mostly hate the concept of a one-shot, undodgeable kill due to it's snappiness.

*Broken as in, imbalanced, not "wow this is OP."

Geg

The recent update fixed inkzooka somewhat I think, there's like a full second before they can fire off the first shot after taking out inkzooka, and the sound effect that plays when inkzooka is activated can now be heard like all throughout the stage

ChrisD

Maybe it's just inherent delay of an online game, but I don't see any wait between popping the Special and using it.

To further the discussion, what would everyone say is the best Special (in one's own opinion) in the game and why?

I'd actually have to say the best and worst goes to Echolocator. Reason being obvious, it's godlike being able to see where you can move in. But Cold-Blooded is killer on it, and so many people run it.

ss-hikaru

To further the discussion, what would everyone say is the best Special (in one's own opinion) in the game and why?

Hmm not sure what I'd consider the best but I don't like Inkzooka much. I'm not very good at aiming I think, although maybe I'll get better with practice. That's how it was for me and Kraken to begin with :p

I used to be a bubble loyalist, but the main weapons I use now have echolocator or kraken on them. I really like echolocator because it helps the whole team. Do that many people run cold-blooded? Is that more a ranked thing? It's great for splatfest I guess cos no one can run cold-blooded XD I tend to use bubble and kraken more as a 'OH NO NEED TO SAVE MYSELF' but I'm getting better at getting kills with the kraken and knowing when to back out. With bubble I'll usually be using splattershot jr and I find I don't have the range to clinch the splat... More weapons need bubble!

I don't mind inkstrike but sometimes it feels like a waste when you get splatted with a full special but didn't have the chance to bring it out.

Fun wise I guess it goes like this for me:
Echolocator
Kraken/Bubble
Inkstrike
Inkzooka

Am I missing anything?

ChrisD

Yeah, Cold-Blooded is run a ton in Ranked. It's why a two-Echo team is hilarious in Splatfests. Nothing one can do. Not a single enemy. :p

In terms of fun... My favorite is Bubbler. Just wish, like you said, more weapons had it.
(This opinion only applies if I'M the one bubbling/on the team of the bubble, otherwise screw Bubbler)

NINETY-SIX DECO BUCKET?
WHAT?!

Give it to meeee!

Best special currently is still Inkzooka. Even after all the nerfs, at its core it's still a fast OHKO over a very long range that can hit multiple targets. It's still the most effective charger counter available.

Next best special I guess would be Kraken, but less because of Kraken itself and moreso due to the loadouts that it tends to be included with. Kraken does have some advantages over Bubbler; if your weapon has poor range or can't secure a kill quickly, it's better to have a sploosh ranged OHKO, and Kraken can climb walls easily and isn't affected by enemy ink. But otherwise Bubbler is generally more useful; it doesn't lock you out of your main and sub weapons, it can be shared with your allies, and it probably has less knockback than Kraken at this point. IMO, a 96 deco that has Bubbler instead of Kraken would be way more overpowered.

I don't think any special is completely terrible at this point, but I think Inkstrike and Burst Bomb Rush are probably at the bottom of the barrel.

Echo is great but it has such a large variance in usefulness; tagging a charger that's sitting in her sniper perch doesn't help if you can't actually get to her, being tagged while using a melee loadout is terrifying, and having your enemies tagged doesn't mean much if your allies don't (or can't!) use the information to ambush or survive.

nom

I'm really curious how a bucket with a wall will work out. Seems like a weird combo.

Could be a great counter to 52 and 96 gals as if you get into a splash wall fight you'll be able to launch ink over them much more easily

and speaking of specials, imo the best right now is killer wail (it's crazy that they've still kept it at 160p)

backlot

Could be a great counter to 52 and 96 gals as if you get into a splash wall fight you'll be able to launch ink over them much more easily

and speaking of specials, imo the best right now is killer wail (it's crazy that they've still kept it at 160p)

That only works if the .52 stands right behind their wall though. Don't they outrange buckets?

Geg

lol, I don't even bother using any special charge gear when using the CDS, it's so easy to build.

That said I think I would still prefer echolocator to killer wail, though I guess it depends on the stage too. There's not much use for killer wail on big open stages like Kelp Dome or Museum.

backlot

Bucket outranges 52 slightly

(not sure how up to date/accurate that picture is though)

Wow, I had no idea.

On another note, if they keep releasing two weapons a week they will run out before we even get to January. I wonder if they're planning one last update?

Regiruler

There's technical difficulties and now my layover has become a 1 hour wait. I'm not going to be able to play museum today QQ.

Had some nice biscuits and gravy though.

Nightii

Banned
OH YEAH, GIVE ME THAT SLOSHER DECO GOODNESS

I suck at using the Splash Wall effectively, but now that it will be paired with a weapon I like and the freaking Kraken I'm guessing I'll get to improve with it.

It kinda sucks that there is not a third Slosher type, though, how come Splatling got Regular, Mini and Hydra and we only get Regular and Tri? :(

Robotguy

lol, I don't even bother using any special charge gear when using the CDS, it's so easy to build.

That said I think I would still prefer echolocator to killer wail, though I guess it depends on the stage too. There's not much use for killer wail on big open stages like Kelp Dome or Museum.
If it's Kelp Dome TC there is a huge use for it though.
But yeah, I find that the wails effectiveness depends a lot on the stage and mode.

backlot

OH YEAH, GIVE ME THAT SLOSHER DECO GOODNESS

I suck at using the Splash Wall effectively, but now that it will be paired with a weapon I like and the freaking Kraken I'm guessing I'll get to improve with it.

It kinda sucks that there is not a third Slosher type, though, how come Splatling got Regular, Mini and Hydra and we only get Regular and Tri? :(

Well there is a third type. They just haven't released it yet.

ChrisD

I haven't actually looked up the Sloshing Machine yet.. I just know it exists. Hope it leaves a better early impression than Vanilla Hydra has with me.

J@hranimo

Banned
Finally

After the long wait

Slosher Deco is coming. I'm more curious about how viable this will be more than anything else.

#OctobrushNouveauWhen

So I had my first experiance with a griefer or troll that wasn't just one of those people who squidkidded the entire match. It was a level 50 player who would proceed to constantly follow me (if I was splatted they would wait at the spawn, if they were splatted they would superjump right back) and block my shots (I was using a bamboozler). I was kicked from the lobby so took the opportunity to block the player. The worst thing is they will think their actions made me leave and continue to do them.

So to keep with the thread title. No Henri, it was you who was a detriment to your squad.

Robotguy

So I had my first experiance with a griefer or troll that wasn't just one of those people who squidkidded the entire match. It was a level 50 player who would proceed to constantly follow me (if I was splatted they would wait at the spawn, if they were splatted they would superjump right back) and block my shots (I was using a bamboozler). I was kicked from the lobby so took the opportunity to block the player. The worst thing is they will think their actions made me leave and continue to do them.

So to keep with the thread title. No Henri, it was you who was a detriment to your squad.
I was in a twin squad with Goya and the sniper from the other twin stood in front of him blocking his shots and doing nothing the whole game. We still won though, lol.

ss-hikaru

Seems I missed a couple of specials XD I hate bomb rushes but I honestly just haven't used the Killer Wail yet....must not be on many loadouts like bubble?

In terms of fun... My favorite is Bubbler. Just wish, like you said, more weapons had it.
(This opinion only applies if I'M the one bubbling/on the team of the bubble, otherwise screw Bubbler)

Haha! Reminds me of how my bf always yells out "F-ing Bubbler!" when someone whips it out and kills him yet I hear a lot less (or at least a lot less passionate) "F-ing Kraken" despite how much more often you see that special :p He appreciates it when I activate Bubbler when we play twin squads tho LOL. Now i miss playing vanilla splattershot jr....it's kinda my ranked weapon of choice yet I hardly ever step into ranked >.<

I gave the hydra a try last night but the maps on rotation weren't very favourable to it... It feels like the wind up sound is really soft because unlike the heavy I couldn't really tell when I was fully charged :| I want to like it though XD

J@hranimo

Banned
Hey so the Slosher Deco is out!

Since I'm so curious about this kit, I decided to test out different ink saver main and ink saver sub combinations as the main ability that would best suit it. It has Splash Wall and Kraken, which could possibly make it another strong--and maybe notorious--weapon to utilize the sub and special.

so in the testing area with like no sub abilities affecting the attack damage or usage, I concluded that after throwing the splash wall without entering the ink to refill:

0 ink saver main = 5 sloshes
1 ink saver main = 6 sloshes
2 ink saver main = 6 sloshes
3 ink saver main = 8 sloshes

0 ink saver sub = 5 sloshes
1 ink saver sub = 5 sloshes
2 ink saver sub = 6 sloshes
3 ink saver sub = 7 sloshes

1 ink saver main + 1 ink saver sub = 7 sloshes
1 ink saver main + 2 ink saver sub = 7 sloshes
2 ink saver main + 1 ink saver sub = 8 sloshes

Yeah, that's pretty much it. These were done while standing still after the splash wall was thrown. If anyone is interested in trying to make it work, here you go.

Top Bottom