• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Kane1345

Looking for some help here guys.

There's a cyber Monday deal for splatoon that is very tempting but I have a question before I buy. I have a Wii U basic and no external drive; will Splatoon and all it's patches fit on my system? I heard that the patches are pretty huge and there's no point buying it if I can't fit it on my system.

Thanks for the help

If I'm clearly carrying my teammates, there's 30-45 seconds remaining, we haven't previously pushed 50% towards the goal yet, and the opponents have turfed most of the the map: then I repeatedly jump off spawn to get an extra three or four self-splats in to help my K/D ratio. Might as well be productive when you're about to lose. Haven't had a massive loss streak since doing this.
I'm confused, how does this help apart from ending the match sooner?

Looking for some help here guys.

There's a cyber Monday deal for splatoon that is very tempting but I have a question before I buy. I have a Wii U basic and no external drive; will Splatoon and all it's patches fit on my system? I heard that the patches are pretty huge and there's no point buying it if I can't fit it on my system.

Thanks for the help
Super Smash Bros is the game with huge patches (as they contain all the DLC, SSB+saves is over 2GB). The Splatoon update data takes up 474MB on my side with 26MB shared save data and 5.6MB user data.

I think you'll need about 600MB free to install the update though.

Yes the update data will get bigger as more things are added but an empty basic still has some way to go before being full.

Kane1345

Super Smash Bros is the game with huge patches (as they contain all the DLC, SSB+saves is over 2GB). The Splatoon update data takes up 474MB on my side with 26MB shared save data and 5.6MB user data.

I think you'll need about 600MB free to install the update though.

Yes the update data will get bigger as more things are added but an empty basic still has some way to go before being full.

Appreciate the help! I have a good net connection so I'm ok downloading patches on a game to game basis and I'm glad to hear it doesn't take up as much as I thought. Think I'll get it :)

Moondrop

Banned
Ok, the basic Heavy Nozzlenose (suction bomb/echolocator) is probably better than the D variant (point sensors/inkzooka). Comparing along functional lines, echolocator clearly trumps point sensor for detection, and suction bomb arguably beats inkzooka as a secondary weapon by virtue of availability. There just seems to be a better synergy here in terms of echo putting you into seek and destroy mode or filling the tank after a bomb. I'll miss that dolphin sticker though.

I've never extensively used a weapon with suction bombs or echolocator; they're each pretty cool. I love trying to land suction bombs stealthily in anticipation, but they're just as good at openly enforcing your will if necessary. I still have issues where I sometimes activate echo and it's like, "duh, they're holding mid," but when I time it right it's a great team boon.

StAidan

Well, I made it to S rank on my alt (charger-only) account. Rather than feeling like an accomplishment though, it felt more like proof that S is the new B+. I seriously think ranking up has become easier, like the people in S rank aren't as good as they were even a month ago. And I definitely don't feel like I'm a good enough sniper to merit the prestige that "S" should have.

nom

JElXYPW.jpg

too cute

ChrisD

Bought this on sale for Black Friday, should be here this week. Any tips for a newcomer ahead of time?

Rollers aren't OP, shoot them from a range.

The Aerospray is good in Turf War; it's still not OP, even Roller splashes out-range them.

Try not to be in a constant state of walking forward. Keep the areas you plan to move towards inked, unless you know for sure all enemies are dead.

Last, and this is a fun one against new players, you can be invisible while swimming if you a.) swim slowly, or b.) tap the stick forwards, release the stick, tap the stick, and so on. This keeps you at a nice pace, but not fast enough to show your position through ink ripples. If you find you like the Roller this is a super fun thing to do, as you can sneak in to smash people.

backlot

Has anyone seen Saltspray in rotation for Rainmaker recently? I feel like it hasn't appeared in months...

We played it in a private room last night and I realized I hadn't played it since back when Rainmaker first came out. Such a weird stage for Rainmaker.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Splatournament info

Kinda confusing for a tournament style but I'll watch anyways.

What a terribly done graphic.

So Rounds 5, 6 and 8 (the first three rounds in the Losers Bracket) have to wait until Rounds 3 and 4 in the Winners Bracket have ended and will happen concurrently with Round 7 in the Winners Bracket. Then the winner of Round 7 will have to wait until the Losers Bracket's Round 9 has finished before having an opponent to play against for Round 10.

[edit] Here's a quick-n-dirty MS Paint job of what the bracket actually should look like:

6W0XVv8.png

By reducing your K/D ratio, the algorithm won't expect you to carry as much.
I thought the matchmaking seed didn't apply to ranked and honestly even in turf wars it feels like the game is just desperate enough to fill rooms it'll throw anyone into anything. Or that is to say the skill range is huge after a certain point as apparently a level 1 smurf will end up getting like 20/0 due to how poor the players it ends up against are.

Kito

I thought the matchmaking seed didn't apply to ranked and honestly even in turf wars it feels like the game is just desperate enough to fill rooms it'll throw anyone into anything.

Even without receipts I would say it must apply given the typically uniform distribution of K/Ds in ranked, although I guess my experiences are just coincidental if this isn't the case.

Edit: By uniform I mean each team will have a corresponding mirror. E.g. if alpha squid in Team A has 12-5, alpha squid in Team B will also have a 12-5. By uniform I don't mean everyone in A or B has identical ratios.

ChrisD

Half-Tried Charger again today (in-law was playing and I didn't notice my weapon as I just hit Lobby and then A on Turf Wars without looking). Game started with a quick kill that I thought was pretty cool. Then I died four times and got zero more kills. I missed at least three point-blank snipes. My aim is so bad. Only judging from one game, but it was enough.

Glad I didn't go to Ranked without looking. That would have auto-lost us. :p

Half-Tried Charger again today (in-law was playing and I didn't notice my weapon as I just hit Lobby and then A on Turf Wars without looking). Game started with a quick kill that I thought was pretty cool. Then I died four times and got zero more kills. I missed at least three point-blank snipes. My aim is so bad. Only judging from one game, but it was enough.

Glad I didn't go to Ranked without looking. That would have auto-lost us. :p

Spending time in the shooting range trying to quick shot the balloons is really good for getting charger fundamentals, should you ever want to try.

Has anyone seen Saltspray in rotation for Rainmaker recently? I feel like it hasn't appeared in months...

Someone gathered map frequency data (Map/Mode Frequency for October) and it appears Nintendo is purposely holding Saltspray Rig off Tower Control & Rainmaker.

They did the same thing several times in preparation for stage adjustments, like when a Hammerhead Bridge Rainmaker exploit was found → the stage got excluded from Rainmaker rotations for several weeks. Maybe a Saltspray Rig update is coming later on…? Still a very weird situation, as it already got a rather huge overhaul in Tower Control earlier this year.

I thought the matchmaking seed didn't apply to ranked and honestly even in turf wars it feels like the game is just desperate enough to fill rooms it'll throw anyone into anything. Or that is to say the skill range is huge after a certain point as apparently a level 1 smurf will end up getting like 20/0 due to how poor the players it ends up against are.

This is what I think too. It's pretty much evidenced by the fact that, while you are supposed to be matched up with players of your rank – the game even kicks you out of a room when your rank changes since version 2.0.0 – in reality you still get a mix of people from various ranks above and below yours.

CO_Andy

Been about a few weeks since i last played S-rank after dropping to A- from a catastrophic losing streak. Players are way more ruthless in S. Not only that but there are far more chargers. Came up with a counter strategy cause one good charger can really wreck a team.

lobbing grenades constantly

nom

So this tournament Nintendo is running on Wednesday looks kinda dumb, but also kinda fun plus it should be short and sweet - so I would like to introduce our very own tournament in the same style.... GAFHouse

We have 2 seperate tournaments going, one Friday night and one during the day on Saturday. This is for fun, nothing serious - if you've been part of the 'Splatoon GAF community' on Discord since the beginning you probably remember talks and ideas of doing our own private tournament, so here we go - thank you Nintendo Treehouse ;)

To sign up please fill out the quick form for the day you want to play on (you can play both!):

Friday 4th December (5PM PST, 8PM EST, 1AM GMT - Saturday):

**Quote me for link:

Saturday 5th December (Noon PST, 3PM EST, 8PM GMT)

**Quote me for link:

**Quote me for Discord link:

Small Print:

• I estimate that the tournament should take no longer than 2 hours 10 minutes so if you sign up please ensure you can play the whole duration if necessary! This could be done as quickly as 1 hour too.
  • Teams will be randomly selected, but I will also try and balance them a little to ensure a fair competition.
  • Take this as seriously as you want, there will be no prizes :p
  • All communications will be done on Discord, if you're not already on the server you can find a link in the 2nd post of OT and at the bottom of this post
  • We only need 24 players but I will keep sign ups open to have some reserves if needed

J@hranimo

Banned
Bought this on sale for Black Friday, should be here this week. Any tips for a newcomer ahead of time?

Now this may not be a common recommendation, but I highly suggest trying Hero mode aka Single player campaign. They're short yet funlevels you go through and teaches you most of the fundamentals.

nom

I'd love to play, but I don't think my internet is good enough. I hope someone streams it though.

A few of us capable of streaming have signed up so some matches will be streamed... it may even feature commentary by some special guests ;)

It's a long shot but maybe Nintendo Treehouse will announce a spectator mode on Wednesday so that the whole thing can be streamed but that is a loooooong shot.

nom

So this tournament Nintendo is running on Wednesday looks kinda dumb, but also kinda fun plus it should be short and sweet - so I would like to introduce our very own tournament in the same style.... GAFHouse

We have 2 seperate tournaments going, one Friday night and one during the day on Saturday. This is for fun, nothing serious - if you've been part of the 'Splatoon GAF community' on Discord since the beginning you probably remember talks and ideas of doing our own private tournament, so here we go - thank you Nintendo Treehouse ;)

To sign up please fill out the quick form for the day you want to play on (you can play both!):

Friday 4th December (5PM PST, 8PM EST, 1AM GMT - Saturday):

**Quote me for link:

Saturday 5th December (Noon PST, 3PM EST, 8PM GMT)

**Quote me for link:

**Quote me for Discord link:

Small Print:

• I estimate that the tournament should take no longer than 2 hours 10 minutes so if you sign up please ensure you can play the whole duration if necessary! This could be done as quickly as 1 hour too.
  • Teams will be randomly selected, but I will also try and balance them a little to ensure a fair competition.
  • Take this as seriously as you want, there will be no prizes :p
  • All communications will be done on Discord, if you're not already on the server you can find a link in the 2nd post of OT and at the bottom of this post
  • We only need 24 players but I will keep sign ups open to have some reserves if needed

backlot

So no weapon announcement for today? They've been sticking with two updates a week lately. Guess Octobrush got delayed again.

nom

So no weapon announcement for today? They've been sticking with two updates a week lately. Guess Octobrush got delayed again.

Likely if anything is announced it will be during the Treehouse thing tomorrow

probably gonna be the new Resort map and no weapons

Top Bottom