• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

backlot

YOOO, Saltspray Rig Rainmaker is in rotation five-and-a-half hours after this post!

How long has it been?!
I know it was basically removed because it's not a very good stage for the mode, but I haven't played it personally since August

Patch will be up by then. Hope it's better this time.

ChrisD

Patch will be up by then. Hope it's better this time.

Really all they have to do is bar off the back area. Put yellow barricades at the very end of the "T" shaped block (so it would look like a funny H). Then, extend the Sniper Perch's wall in order to prevent barricade jumping shenanigans.

You have just prevented the ultra stall and made a crazy three-tiered battle arena!

Edit: Wait, the T block would have to be made uninkable as well, but that would be easy enough, too.

Robotguy

Per the patch notes they're not making physical adjustments to saltspray's layout. They're just accelerating the timer in certain areas to try to prevent stalling.

Doesn't the Rainmaker respawn at the center when it self-destructs? It happens so rarely and I'm usually paying attention to a dozen other things mid-game so I don't notice.

ChrisD

A random WALKMAN04 appears! That makes two GAF members found in solo queu in the timespan of >24 hours. What are the odds haha.

My butt got carried, I just watched their Sprinkler spammer and shot them all down

Nightii

Banned
The Underpass update made me think about which stages have I not played in all modes, so far I have yet to play:

Rainmaker: Blackbelly Skatepark, Saltspray Rig, Port Mackerel, Kelp Dome.

Tower Control: Saltspray Rig, Port Mackerel, Moray Towers.

TC in Port and Towers sounds simply awful, am I wrong for thinking that?

ChrisD

The Underpass update made me think about which stages have I not played in all modes, so far I have yet to play:

Rainmaker: Blackbelly Skatepark, Saltspray Rig, Port Mackerel, Kelp Dome.

Tower Control: Saltspray Rig, Port Mackerel, Moray Towers.

TC in Port and Towers sounds simply awful, am I wrong for thinking that?

imo TC sucks on all stages, but yeah it's especially bad on Towers.

I forgot about the scheduled maintenance... No, no, I don't mind losing five points for a game that only played out for ten seconds, really. I mean it.

L95

.....oh...............

Maintenance.....................

Um.

I forgot about it. Maybe I'll play through singleplayer again lol

ss-hikaru

Wow that feeling when you actually pull off an ETERNAL OMEGA PHALANX to help your team dunk the rainmaker <3 <3 <3 Doing my queen Marie proud <3 <3 <3

ffdgh

Towers on Turf Wars basically just comes down to which team was lucky enough to get that godlike Japanese E-Liter player. It's kinda dumb.

Would be nice if something was in the middle of the stage to block charger shots from reaching the usual perch area like the bridge on bluefin.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Towers on Turf Wars basically just comes down to which team was lucky enough to get that godlike Japanese E-Liter player. It's kinda dumb.

And I enjoy that battle with the godlike Japanese E-Liter player across from me on the opposite perch overlooking the central area as we try to cover each other's ink and help be our teammates' eye on the sky. Until I Inkstrike him, forcing him to jump down from his spot, and that's when he's in my range or the range of my teammates, bwahaha

I'm ready to be a squid now. I'm ready to be a kid now.

Once these updates finish on this brand new Wii U I purchased.

Nice! Remember, walls don't count and rollers aren't OP, just back up while shooting them in the face.

Geg

Unless they're the actual good rollers who know you can kill with flicks, in that case just try to outrange them

ss-hikaru

GAFHouse is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbM_GLyaw3A

coming this Sunday 20th 3PM EST (8PM GMT)! Full details will be released in the coming days but it should be a fun, relaxed tournament lasting around 2 hours and sign ups are now open!

Will you do the team coverage again but with the new Splatfest theme? XD And maybe different captains...or else the answers will probably be mostly the same again :p

Nightii

Banned
Fuck do I want a male or a female character? Can I change later?
You can change anytime you want.

I sometimes change to female too how my current gear looks on a female Inkling, get shocked when I see the obvious improvement in freshness, then instinctively change back to male.

Regiruler

ss-hikaru

I've never used Male. When I see one walking around the plaza in YouTube videos it looks so weird.

It's also funny when you're in game and get splattered, it zooms to your killer and it's a girl inkling called "David" or "Ryan" or something like that :p

Speaking of names, Japanese players sure have some creative ones. I played someone called ibuprofen (in kana) once, made me wonder why go with that as a user name? I guess it's easier to fit a sentence into a username using Japanese characters compared to the English alphabet.

Regiruler

It's also funny when you're in game and get splattered, it zooms to your killer and it's a girl inkling called "David" or "Ryan" or something like that :p

Speaking of names, Japanese players sure have some creative ones. I played someone called ibuprofen (in kana) once, made me wonder why go with that as a user name? I guess it's easier to fit a sentence into a username using Japanese characters compared to the English alphabet.

I'm partially glad there's no voice chat because I would probably refer to all people who use the female avatar as women out of hilarity and spite.
Male hair is easier to see behind walls because it sticks up. Female inkling is meta.

Female hair clips through clothes. Male inkling is technically competent.

ChrisD

How come if I win a game with S's I gain 3 points
And if I lose I drop 5

And why is my Luna Blaster freaking DEFENDING ON TOWER ZONES AFTER I SHOOT ECHOLOCATOR OUT

Freaking mindset of some people. He wasn't even lobbing bombs!

Regiruler

How come if I win a game with S's I gain 3 points
And if I lose I drop 5

And why is my Luna Blaster freaking DEFENDING ON TOWER ZONES AFTER I SHOOT ECHOLOCATOR OUT

Freaking mindset of some people. He wasn't even lobbing bombs!

but but but

if he doesn't wildly shoot about in the general direction of badguys

how will badguys know not to come to tower

ChrisD

Enjoy your hell.

Male, he shouldn't

EDIT:

Enjoy your double hell.

Moray is the most skillful map in the game. Anyone who says otherwise is objectively bad at videogames and should relegate themselves to the ink paste.

Ooooh, I get it, you forgot the Kappa in your post.
I forgive you.

Geg

Moray is the most skillful map in the game. Anyone who says otherwise is objectively bad at videogames and should relegate themselves to the ink paste.

This post is on par with "If you're not using an Aerospray you're a detriment to your team"

Unicorn

Could you be turning Gyro the opposite direction of where you're moving the sticks and just not realizing it?
Maybe. It's wonky it allows horizontal waggle but not vertical waggle with vertical stick movement.

This will obviously take some time to get used to. I feel like it's the mid 90s again trying to play Quake with a mouse for the first time.

ChrisD

Maybe. It's wonky it allows horizontal waggle but not vertical waggle with vertical stick movement.

This will obviously take some time to get used to. I feel like it's the mid 90s again trying to play Quake with a mouse for the first time.

Yeah, most get used to it. Just takes a bit of time. Single-player mode is an excellent way to get the fundamentals down, if you haven't done it already. If you absolutely can't deal with them, there are actually some pro players who use sticks. Snipers included. Whatever works for you should be what you go with, but do give gyro a good shot -- I'd say a good baseline before writing them off is five~ hours (though it doesn't usually take that long to get the hang of them).

The reasoning I see for not allowing vertical movement with sticks + gyro is that vertical view is more "fixed" than horizontal. You can move your character left/right, you can't move them up/down.

Also, while I suck at explaining things, basically if sticks allowed Y-Axis movement, you'd have to move your wrists to correct (likely accidental) changes from the stick's sweeping camera movements. The way it is now, sticks are used for large motions, and gyro is for precision.

Still pretty new to the game, was wondering what people thought of my gear.

MaKoDgi.png

Sometimes I'll stack more Swim Speed Up and I'm looking at more Quick Respawn but I keep it to these abilities mostly and I love the rolls on this set. Haven't really used regular Slosher since the Deco came out.

Crisium

Still pretty new to the game, was wondering what people thought of my gear.

MaKoDgi.png

Sometimes I'll stack more Swim Speed Up and I'm looking at more Quick Respawn but I keep it to these abilities mostly and I love the rolls on this set. Haven't really used regular Slosher since the Deco came out.

Personally I don't see the point of Quick Respawn as an ability. Swim speed does the same job: gets you back into the fight faster. Except if you Super Jump, of course.

CO_Andy

Personally I don't see the point of Quick Respawn as an ability. Swim speed does the same job: gets you back into the fight faster. Except if you Super Jump, of course.
I use a lot of Quick Respawn. It's great because it's like a middleground between super jumping and swimming back into the fray.

Same with fast ink recovery. It's beneficial for both sub and main weapon use.

nom

Will you do the team coverage again but with the new Splatfest theme? XD And maybe different captains...or else the answers will probably be mostly the same again :p

Of course! These will come late Saturday/early Sunday when I have a better idea of the teams and captains.

As before teams will be randomised and then 'balanced', with hopefully new captains so we get some new answers.

Top Bottom