• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ffdgh

Personally I don't see the point of Quick Respawn as an ability. Swim speed does the same job: gets you back into the fight faster. Except if you Super Jump, of course.

Quick respawn has made the different between a win and a loss multiple times online for me. Feels good to be able to play somewhat recklessly and jump right back into the fray...when it's safe ofcourse lol.

J@hranimo

Banned
Tri-slosher Nouveau is coming today
CWf1Q-tWcAAHxqp.jpg

CWf1RrGW4AEgr6H.jpg

CWf1R3vWwAA2_Vl.jpg
Seekers and Echolocator...

nom

Some announcements:

• Format will be Round Robin and then 2 playoffs to decide final standings
  • Each round of RR will have a theme
  • Turf War will be back!
  • Full details and team captains will likely be announced tomorrow ;)
Thank you to everyone who has signed up already! Any questions or suggestions please let me know on Discord.

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah this variant isn't really interestng to me in the least....

4 weapons left.

Using the bot in our Discord server that can give info on all weapons' cost and unlock level, I think I know how the last 4 will release.

Octobrush Nouveau
Sloshing Machine Neo
Rapid Blaster Pro Deco
Custom Hydra Splatling

Regiruler

Personally I don't see the point of Quick Respawn as an ability. Swim speed does the same job: gets you back into the fight faster. Except if you Super Jump, of course.

It's useful if you're pushing very hard and incurring a lot of casualties. It's particularly useful in TC and rainmaker.

Moondrop

Banned
I do agree that Swim Speed can in some ways replace Quick Respawn, but Quick Respawn is still useful in itself.

But looking at abilities head-to-head, while useful in understanding their mechanics, belies that the best strategy is often to synergize rather than stack. If you want to get back to fights quickly, the best way isn't to go 3x Quick Respawn, but 1x Quick Respawn, 1x Quick Superjump, and 1x Swim Speed. Similarly, if you're inefficient in ink, I believe you can get more mileage out of 1x Ink Saver Main, 1x Ink Saver Sub, 1x Ink Saver Recovery than any stacking of one individual skill. If you want to move fast, you need both Run and Swim Speed. And if you're out there trading hits with shooters at higher levels, it's best to bring Damage Up and Defense Up together to have an edge.

Though I stand by my contention that there is no inherent negative correlation between popularity and skill, I'm getting a feeling I may have underestimated the popularity of Team Nice. But I actually always pick what is true for me personally, and this one is as tough as burgers vs. pizza. Leaning naughty.

nom

Tournament Format:

Rules:

RR Scoring System:

- Each round will have 3 games played: Splat Zones -> Tower Control -> Rainmaker (same map)
- Teams gain 1 point for every individual game won and 2 for winning the overall match e.g. if your team wins a round 3-0 your team would gain 5 points
- Each round will have a bonus condition which will award a team up to 3 points if met

RR Bonus Conditions:

- Round 1 (Saltspray Rig):
For each game played with at least one Inkbrush (standard or Nouveau) in the team, that team will be awarded 1 point
- Round 2 (Moray Towers):
For each game which a team all plays the exact same weapon, that team will be awarded 1 point
- Round 3 (Port Mackerel):
For each game which a team consists of only weapons with the seeker sub weapon, that team will be awarded 1 point

Turf War Finals:

Final standings will be decided by a final match between 1st and 2nd place, and 3rd and 4th place. This match will be Turf War, the ultimate Splatoon mode. Maps will be chosen using the 'random' option in-game. Winner is first team to reach 2 or 3 points, where points are decided by % inked. Battle for 1st will be first to 3 points, and battle of 'not coming last' will be first to 2 points.

Finals Scoring System:

- Loss = 0 points
- Win between 50.1 and 60% = 1 point
- Win 60.1%+ = 2 point

Hopefully that's not too complicated lol Let me know if there is any problems with that but I think it should work out. Round Robin should take about 1 hour to complete, and then finals about 30 minutes.

Sign ups will stay open until it starts, but after teams get posted you'll be put on the 'reserve' list. I aim to have captains/teams ready by tomorrow.

**Quote for sign-up form**

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think a defeatist attitude underlies taking Quick Respawn. You're basically expecting to die a lot so you feel like you need to take Quick Respawn to make up for that. It's better to take a proactive ability like Ink Saver or Special Charge Up, which will help you play even better and, presumably, not die very often, eliminating the need for Quick Respawn.

Azure J

I think a defeatist attitude underlies taking Quick Respawn. You're basically expecting to die a lot so you feel like you need to take Quick Respawn to make up for that. It's better to take a proactive ability like Ink Saver or Special Charge Up, which will help you play even better and, presumably, not die very often, eliminating the need for Quick Respawn.

Then you run into people with this level of play under their belt AND ass loads of Quick Respawn and hate yourself for a varying duration of time. :lol

ffdgh

Defeatist attitude? That's a bit extreme. More than anything it's a different play style or a fail safe.

phanphare

Banned

I don't use Quick Respawn but it's not really a defeatist attitude imo. it just allows for a more aggressive playstyle.

I like using it in Rainmaker (along with Swim Speed Ups) because I'm usually the one carrying it, so I die a lot. I don't use it in Turf War

DaBoss

There are 3 main scenarios for Quick Respawn:
1. You're not dead. You can continue to wreak havoc. Quick Respawn has no effect, but not dying is the best scenario.
2. You traded with an opponent. Your team benefits more from the trade cause you can respawn faster unless the opponent used the same amount of quick respawn.
3. You get killed and don't trade with an opponent. This is a setback, but you will respawn in just under 2 seconds. And if you have Stealth Jump and have a teammate that is alive and in any position closer to the enemies, you can easily get back into the action.

It allows for aggressive play with the penalties of death being much less harsh.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Then you run into people with this level of play under their belt AND ass loads of Quick Respawn and hate yourself for a varying duration of time. :lol

LoL

I like using it in Rainmaker (along with Swim Speed Ups) because I'm usually the one carrying it, so I die a lot. I don't use it in Turf War

I can see using it in Rainmaker, actually. Especially if you're the only one on your team who bothers to pick up the RM and move it.

ChrisD

Run&Swim Speed Ups with Ink Resistance makes for some good fun in Rainmaker. Love running right through ink to get that last bit of distance we need to beat theirs out.

Sendou

The point of QR is taking away the penalty of dying allowing you to make more reckless plays per game and getting back to the action faster. It should be removed together with Damage and Defence Up. Also nerf Burst Bombs and Run Speed thx.

It seems team nice is jut playing too nice they are going to let team naughty win...

Haven't found competent players tonight

:/

I'll just try to reach king as fast as I can...

L95

I'm on Naughty and doing terrible, but I think I'm out of Splatoon...... uh... juju, will play more when I wake up.

Top Bottom