• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Some of you may remember the last time I tried to get pure damage up Cyan Trainers last
Monday right? Well, Spyke delivered 2 subs again but this time, it was different!

WVW69iuO9BUfE5xbhF

I need these.

ffdgh

Some of you may remember the last time I tried to get pure damage up Cyan Trainers last
Monday right? Well, Spyke delivered 2 subs again but this time, it was different!

WVW69iuO9BUfE5xbhF

...Makes me want to add the final slot to my trainers despite the unforgiving odds lol.

Rawk Hawk

It's a great weapon that puts a lot of pressure on the other team for sure. But it really shines when you pair it with the run speed up ability.

I purchased this last night on my way to level 10, very different type of weapon, I did completely awful in my first two matches, but then it clicked to some extent and I started doing pretty well. I don't think I was as effective for turf war, but I stuck it out as I can see how that would be nice for ranked modes (which I'll be dipping my feet in tonight).

Splatlings are awesome, but they have a way different play style compared to the run and gun that NZaps have. I would suggest that you give every weapon a shot to see if you can get used to it, but if you like NZaps the most, then continue using NZaps :p

Yea I like it, the special is perfect for me since I'm still fairly bad, but it helps out team mates who are carrying most of the weight. I think when I go back to play turf war I'll still grab this or maybe the tenta which was pretty fun as well.

Got this game for my son for Christmas and it's perfect. He can play online, have fun, contribute and avoid all the negatives that often go along with online gaming. Plus I took a turn and had a lot of fun with it. Great game.

Sooo...how are points are distributed in Rainmaker? ( and all ranked games)

I just killed the most and slam dunked the rainmaker for a knockout and still showed up as last place when the game was over.......

Doorman

Sooo...how are points are distributed in Rainmaker? ( and all ranked games)

I just killed the most and slam dunked the rainmaker for a knockout and still showed up as last place when the game was over.......

Placement on the final scoreboard in ranked modes is a function of your win/loss record over your past ten games. Regardless of how well you did in that particular round, if you're coming off a losing streak, you'll probably show up on the bottom anyway. Placement there doesn't have any effect on the EXP/money or ranking points anyway, so don't sweat that part of it. Those things are all determined by your current rank relative to the rankings of your team and your opponents. If you win against a team with a higher average rank than you, you'll get more rank points, etc. Money rewards for victories rises as your rank does, with extra being given for knockouts.

Geg

Yeah that's a new thing they changed about ranked mode in a recent patch. It's meant to encourage players to actually play the objective rather than focus on kill count

Placement on the final scoreboard in ranked modes is a function of your win/loss record over your past ten games. Regardless of how well you did in that particular round, if you're coming off a losing streak, you'll probably show up on the bottom anyway. Placement there doesn't have any effect on the EXP/money or ranking points anyway, so don't sweat that part of it. Those things are all determined by your current rank relative to the rankings of your team and your opponents. If you win against a team with a higher average rank than you, you'll get more rank points, etc. Money rewards for victories rises as your rank does, with extra being given for knockouts.

Yeah that's a new thing they changed about ranked mode in a recent patch. It's meant to encourage players to actually play the objective rather than focus on kill count

I see, sense has been made, thank you :)

notworksafe

Got this game as a gift but had a question before I jump in: Can I use the Pro Pad to play this game? I really have issues using the Gamepad for more than ~30mins at a time so if the Gamepad is required I won't really be able to play it much, if at all.

ChrisD

Got this game as a gift but had a question before I jump in: Can I use the Pro Pad to play this game? I really have issues using the Gamepad for more than ~30mins at a time so if the Gamepad is required I won't really be able to play it much, if at all.

Unfortunately, no. Not unless you're playing the (extremely lackluster) Local Splitscreen mode. The GamePad is integral to the current experience, though, so it's somewhat understandable.

I say current, because I really do wonder how sequels will work. The game simply won't be the same without a touch-screen controller.

Edit: S+ re-obtained! =D Had to go through two battles when I reached S 98, because our fourth D/C'd as soon as the battle started. We actually held the clock, and they only reached.... 60 left, I think? We even capped both zones for one point. But they had four and one of them wearing all Quick Respawn, we had three and nobody wearing it. Was basically a Five vs Three, lol.. They also had a Dynamo, so that basically nullified my Dynamo Piranha Pit advantage. :( Only lost 1 point for it, and went on to win the next battle for a 4 point win, so it's all good.

S+ 30, nice to see you again. Probably won't be the last time either hahaha.

ChrisD

I know it's not a perfect solution, but you can get grips for the GamePad. May be what you need for a more comfortable time. If your problem is the heft, then I really don't know a way to bandage it. Sorry. :/

Piranha Pit, four Dynamo Rollers in the game. Not a "Has the Meta gone too far" situation, but goofy nonetheless.

Nightii

Banned
Piranha Pit, four Dynamo Rollers in the game. Not a "Has the Meta gone too far" situation, but goofy nonetheless.

I thought the Meta was four Luna Blasters, it sure feels like that sometimes, damn things are spilling over from Tower Control into the other modes!

ChrisD

I thought the Meta was four Luna Blasters, it sure feels like that sometimes, damn things are spilling over from Tower Control into the other modes!

Luna Neo is a big player in a lot of modes/maps, but the rotation at that time was Kelp Dome/Piranha Pit on Splat Zones. Don't think a Dynamo could ask for a nicer rotation.

nom

Tournament news:

Our GAF (though not 100% GAF) clan entered in 3 teams to SCL 8 today. We had NSTC 1 (me, Sendou, Walkman04 and fuzzy), NSTC 2 (DaBoss, Goya, Donut, Samura1man and ynnaD) and PTW (Azure, Crisium, Robotguy, Doc Alba and RedFyn)

PTW is basically a team where we're hoping to get more GAFers involved with competitve tournaments, if you're interested please let me know!

Somehow all 3 teams ended up on the same side of the bracket XD Unfortunately PTW went out to On The Blink so we couldn't get a NSTC vs PTW match. But we did get a semi finals of NSTC vs N2STC which imo was a very close and entertaining set - will try and upload it tomorrow or find it on Twitch. In the end NSTC took 1st, N2STC 3rd and PTW 9th (out of 44 teams)

Also recently we entered a Japanese tournament with 189 teams and came 5th which was nice, we have some videos of it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S21ZNWDvJs

Doorman

Tournament news:

I had no idea a tournament was even going on today! Shows what I know for skipping getting on the Discord for once. Congrats to all three teams involved, it's pretty impressive to see that we have enough of a presence in the Splatoon community to warrant that many entries!

(I say "we" as though I have anything to do with competitive SplatGAF, lawl.)

I was hoping to get some solo ranked work in later tonight after some other obligations...but Moray and Triggerfish zones? Euch. Think I might pass on that and just do more skell-tweaking in XCX instead. :p

abd

Tournament news:

Our GAF (though not 100% GAF) clan entered in 3 teams to SCL 8 today. We had NSTC 1 (me, Sendou, Walkman04 and fuzzy), NSTC 2 (DaBoss, Goya, Donut, Samura1man and ynnaD) and PTW (Azure, Crisium, Robotguy, Doc Alba and RedFyn)

PTW is basically a team where we're hoping to get more GAFers involved with competitve tournaments, if you're interested please let me know!

Somehow all 3 teams ended up on the same side of the bracket XD Unfortunately PTW went out to On The Blink so we couldn't get a NSTC vs PTW match. But we did get a semi finals of NSTC vs N2STC which imo was a very close and entertaining set - will try and upload it tomorrow or find it on Twitch. In the end NSTC took 1st, N2STC 3rd and PTW 9th (out of 44 teams)

Also recently we entered a Japanese tournament with 189 teams and came 5th which was nice, we have some videos of it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S21ZNWDvJs

Congratulations.

CSX

Played a lot more today.

Most of the time, the game kept on matchmaking me against level 40-50 japanese players. One match had five level 50s and i'm just a lowly level 5 who just realized he sucks with the splat roller T_T.

Toward the end of my matches, the matchmaking got better. Pitted me against slightly
lower level japanese
players. A friend of mine who I was passing the controller around with seriously asked me if I was on a japanese vpn lmao.

So for anyone else that's been experimenting with the Rapid Blaster Pros, what perks would you recommend? What openings on each map do you like? Do you find that they're worth using?

I've been playing a lot with the Deco version, and I basically stack as much damage up as I can (39 pts of damage up I think). I can get very consistent 2HKOs, even without directs (but the shots still need to be close to the target), and a direct hit is 99.9 damage, so they sometimes become "OHKOs". I really like being able to hit enemies that are hiding away at a long distance. This lets me deal with chargers without completely exposing myself and also lets me fight around corners as well, which were problems that I had with Custom Jet Squelcher.

Played a lot more today.

Most of the time, the game kept on matchmaking me against level 40-50 japanese players. One match had five level 50s and i'm just a lowly level 5 who just realized he sucks with the splat roller T_T.

Toward the end of my matches, the matchmaking got better. Pitted me against slightly
lower level japanese
players. A friend of mine who I was passing the controller around with seriously asked me if I was on a japanese vpn lmao.
I hope your play experience improved over time :p Hopefully you'll get the hang of it, and then you'll show those lv 50s what for! :D

Persona7

Banned
Does anyone know if the splatfests you've been in are marked in your save file? I am kind of mad that my save got corrupted and I had to start over.

noshten

I was in London over the Holidays and I bought my little nephews Splatoon bundle + MK8 for Christmas, can't say they are very good at the game. Seems MK8 is a lot easier for them while they struggled with Splatoon, thankfully the majority of people they played against in Turf Wars weren't particularly good either.
Most stores in the UK were sold out of the Wii U, apparently they only get a few bundles and by boxing day they were all out. So instead I ended up getting the bundle from Amazon - UK seems to be pretty horrible for Nintendo wonder if they can turn it around for the NX.

noshten

Spotted my first gaffer in the wild! LastMario at Bluefin Depot.

Gotta say your luna is super annoying, I usually do a little better vs luna players but you always were in range to one splat me. Always nice to run into gaffers while playing with randoms.

Also I'm really enjoying Mahi-Mahi Resort on Rainmaker, I honestly only now understood why the water level changes - hadn't paid attention before. But it really gives a lot of dynamic to the map. The only problem is the capability to stall out games for the last 30 seconds if you are ahead and the platforms are up. It's pretty hard if you hide up in the platforms to the left of the base and a bunch of my team mates were abused that.

Swimming up the conveyor belts in Piranha Pit to SWING your DYNAMO ROLLER onto the HEAD of the ENEMY feels great.

For sure any roller is really benefited by the conveyor belts - those jumps you make at full speed can cover a lot of ground.
Going to try out playing with one of the other guns and run speed up.

Doorman

Does anyone know if the splatfests you've been in are marked in your save file? I am kind of mad that my save got corrupted and I had to start over.

Considering that the "splatfest shirt" remains a limited-time item and you can't reclaim snails from a prior splatfest if a new one has been announced, it seems the hooks just aren't built into the game to remember splatfest history at all aside from "is there one coming in the next week?" So yeah, no getting back any snails you might've lost.

ChrisD

Swimming up the conveyor belts in Piranha Pit to SWING your DYNAMO ROLLER onto the HEAD of the ENEMY feels great.

Doing the above followed my Mr. Japanese living said happening as they turn into Kraken a second later and kill you even though you're a Splattershot's distance away, on the other hand, that's just rage-inducing.

Hackworth

Anyone got hints on ranked? Good weapons etc? My amazing ability to lose points is actively killing me here.
EDIT: not played ranked for months so I'm B+ matched into S and A games, which is hilarious.

Jintor

So the background matchmaking works really fast. Stole my friend's level 5 account to dick around, massacred two rounds of level 2-10 pubs, now being matched against almost exclusively lvl 50s

StAidan

OMIGOSH!! My birthday is tomorrow, making the Octobrush Nouveau the perfect birthday present! What a crazy coincidence.

Can't wait to try this out. The meta will change forever, just 24 hours from now.

Kito

I decided to go for S+ about three days ago and ranked up today. A thank you to Sendou, your Twitch streams are how I learnt to use Luna as well as Splat Bombs. I wore your hairclip from GAFHouse I as good luck!

The game in the pic was TC Walleye. Luna/.52/Carbon/Krak-on vs snipersx3/Sploosh and we got a knockout.

Gotta say your luna is super annoying, I usually do a little better vs luna players but you always were in range to one splat me. Always nice to run into gaffers while playing with randoms.

Hopefully we're on the same team next time.

ChrisD

Grats, Moskito!

Actually, scratch my last edit. Say something positive to someone then started my normal griping. Sorry about that.

Haven't been able to play all week. My Wii U has been hit with the 101-0502 error ever since Sunday. Have tried literally every troubleshooting step I've seen posted online (port forwarding, DMZ, manually setting DNS, power cycling everything) to no avail. I played several matches with no issues on Friday and Saturday and haven't made any changes to my setup so I don't get it. I'm on comcast and Steam, PSN, and Xbox Live are all working normally. The WiiU connection test turns out fine, and I can access the eshop, use the web browser, play other users Mario Maker levels, etc. Can't access my Friend List or connect to Splatoon's online though. Was looking forward to accessing the new content this week so this really sucks.

ChrisD

I just learned about the Forge Parka with RSU Main. My next play session with Jr. will be, how you say, fun.

Gotta' go fast long Bubble

Kito

Grats, Moskito!

Thanks! Even though the OT has largely been abandoned, I'm starting an S+ Hall of Fame with one rule: post the screenshot. I found everyone below by searching 'S+', let me know if I've missed you...

OT4:

1. Smashkirby - .96 Gal Deco
  2. Toadsili T - .96 Gal Deco
  3. Saro - Octobrush
  4. Las7 - .96 Gal Deco
  5. Robotguy - .96 Gal
  6. Jeff Vader - Luna Neo
  7. StAidan - Octobrush
  8. ffdgh - .52 Gal
  9. nom - N-Zap '89
  10. Azure J - .96 Gal Deco
  11. ChrisD - Dynamo