• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Even with discord, we still see some posts here from time to time.

Being moved to the purgatory that is Community forum is the bigger problem. That and Splatoon threads don't happen that often in Gaming for us to gain more attention and direct folks here.

Kito

For those not on it and for lurkers, I'd like to balance the Discord server's hype here with my anti-community experiences which led me to leave. Everyone else loves it though so I am an outlier.

1. The text channel, ironically called splatoonchat, is hugely off topic, 80% off topic from what I saw. When I wanted to discuss maps, weapons, strategies, etc. I felt it was too awkward to even bring it up and interrupt the off topic conversation, and the rare times I did, no one was really responsive or 'into' it; there was no audience for it. Timezones also make it difficult to follow the off topic anyway.

2. There are secret text channels which you cannot see. From my limited time there, I believe there is a NSTC (Squidboards tournament team) channel and an Azure channel but little is known about them other than a confirmation of the former by SM. I don't like the sense of 'everyone is somewhere else and unavailable to the rest of us'.

3. There were never enough S ranks to play a quad with me in Squad Battle. And no one was really down to either, I felt like I had to beg.

However, Discord shines in gafhouse and I'll temporarily return to the server whenever it's on. Everyone is brought together and talking in one place.

Sorry to see you feel that way Moskito. If it helps, you can try posting your questions about maps and strategies here. The OT still gets lots of attention, so your inquiries will still be attended to here.

You can still try asking your questions in discord though. Don't worry about the subject being off topic or anything :p

Sendou

I mean NSTC channel, is like the name implies, for NSTC members which is not the same thing as a GAF member if there was some confusion.

Azure J

Just letting everyone know:

- Raw Squid Hype was the channel made when I was doing viewer battles with someone and wanted to communicate. It's long since become defunct since the large majority of Discord discussion and voice chat takes place in Splat chat proper.

- The "Takamaru Fan Club" server (ayy lmao) was a joke server made by someone after my hype during the December Smash Direct. No one really uses it as far as I know.

Not sure why you felt awkward discussing things about the game. There are ebbs and flows to it all and we discuss everything on our minds while playing. There's a strong crossover between most other Nintendo multiplayer communities here on GAF and SplatGAF, so you'd have to expect a good amount of cross talk. That said, most folks are always willing to chat as long as they're around.

DaBoss

Thank you for posting that Moskito and being honest. And for addressing your points with some of my thoughts/perspective.

1) Yea, the chat definitely goes off-topic often, but I think that's normal for text-based community chats, at least from my experience. However, it's not okay that your attempts at discussing the game were to no avail. Personally, I don't recall any moments of that occurring.

2) There are no secret text channels at all on the SplatGAF (outside of the individual team text channels during GAFHouse). There is a separate Discord server all together for members of NSTC. You may be confusing Azure's Twitch chat as a text channel, which is where some people talk. But it does still create a feeling of some people being in different places.

3) I agree with you here in the sense that most people on the SplatGAF server do not want to squad. You could easily get people to play Turf Wars and private lobbies from the SolatGAF server (and if you're looking for something more on the serious side, then these wouldn't be that good). Personally I gave up a while ago. I would suggest the r/splatoon Discord server for squads. They have A LOT of members there and with a huge skill range including S and S+ players.

And that's it from me.

I always had the impression that splatGAF was very committed to the game. Since I just play casually (once or twice a week, and sometimes I don't even play at all) I didn't join the community on discord.

Hmmm

Bleh, more bloated posts about Discord.

Anyway, quick question. I only recently began playing ranked matches. Waited until I had a wired connection before I even bothered with it. Is the mode rotation random or does it follow a set cycle?

J@hranimo

Banned
Bleh, more bloated posts about Discord.

Anyway, quick question. I only recently began playing ranked matches. Waited until I had a wired connection before I even bothered with it. Is the mode rotation random or does it follow a set cycle?

It rotates every 4 hours. You can check which times, maps, and game modes on SplatNet.

It rotates every 4 hours. You can check which times, maps, and game modes on SplatNet.

Oh, I already use this, and I know they rotate every 4 hours. I actually prefer using splatoon.ink to check stages as it gives a countdown of time left in a rotation. My question was if ranked mode is a set cycle (as in a specific mode after specific mode) or random (any mode has a chance to appear)?

Oh, I already use this, and I know they rotate every 4 hours. I actually prefer using splatoon.ink to check stages as it gives a countdown of time left in a rotation. My question was if ranked mode is a set cycle (as in a specific mode after specific mode) or random (any mode has a chance to appear)?
It's random. There's no discernible pattern, except that your favorite map and mode combo will never be available ;P

RedFyn

The issue with a text chat like discord is your posts will be lost. That's just how they work. If no one that is on is up for discussing something at the time you make your post it will get lost. That's where the OT comes in handy. It's much easier to discuss strategies and the like on here where everyone can see the discussion and have more time to prepare answers.

Also I'd say the majority of the discussion is about the game. Yes it gets a bit off topic when a new game is released or a new direct happens, but overall the discussion stays centered around Splatoon

Kodaman

New map incoming: Piranha Pit

CXTK9C6U0AIHptY.jpg

vzXviO7.png

s6rxMDK.png

aRJHWcv.png

sh7PUa1.png

Jintor

12月29日午前11時、新しいステージ「ショッツル鉱山」が追加される。
周囲を山に囲まれた採掘場が舞台となる。
採掘物を運ぶためのコンベアーはバトルにも影響を与えそうだ。
遠くには巨大な採掘機械が見え、男の子心をくすぐられる。

11am on 12/29, a new stage "Shottsuru Mines" will be added.

A mountain mine surrounded (by water?) is the setting.

Seems like mining equipment like a conveyer you can ride will have an influence on the battle.

You can see gigantic mining machines in the background that will touch the heart of young men everywhere.

Rawk Hawk

Just picked up the game, adding myself to the doc. Once I get a handle on what kit I want to use I'll start hunting you all down.. one by one..

ChrisD

I wonder if any of them are in the middle of the strange ritual involving a "Wii U" as found in the journal entries with humans.

DaBoss

Any good sources for overhead layouts of the Splatoon maps?
There are none, unfortunately. Some pics are available on the Splatoon Wikis (there are 2 of them, the better one is splatoonwiki.org), but they just have overhead pics of the maps from launch.

There are people who could do this quite easily, but they don't seem to care to do so I guess.

For most, but not all. Here's an old set of pictures that have overhead layouts and ranked details of the Splatoon maps, but unfortunately some of the newer maps are missing in this set:

http://imgur.com/a/Y1jtb

What you can also do on your own is Recon a level to take a look at how it works, and you can also look at the bottom screen for the minimap layout of the map.

ChrisD

Man, the best way to get back into Ranked is a nice rotation of Zones with Towers in it. Not at all infuriating with E-Liter lockdowns and Inkzooka everywhere.

I just want to level my gear. -.-

I wish Piranha Pit's conveyor belts had little arrows on them to indicate which way they moved, and that the arrows also showed up on the mini map. That's a minor aesthetic thing though so no big deal.

And given that they're now doing conveyor belts I guess they've found a way to make covering two sides of the belt work for turf wars.

ffdgh

Man, the best way to get back into Ranked is a nice rotation of Zones with Towers in it. Not at all infuriating with E-Liter lockdowns and Inkzooka everywhere.

I just want to level my gear. -.-

Turf war has kelp dome and underpass right? Throw on some run speed with the jrs(or the zink mini <3) and run around for a bit.

ChrisD

Turf war has kelp dome and underpass right? Throw on some run speed with the jrs(or the zink mini <3) and run around for a bit.

One win is equal to five Turf Wars though. That and I've spent the past thirty hours or so of my play in Turf War (with Jr and Zink Mini, lol) to level stuff up, but I've got some semi-competitive wear to upgrade now. Figured I'd switch back over to speed these along.

My complaint seems to have done something, as it just put three E-Liters and one Splatterscope on their side, while we had two Tentateks, a 96 Deco, and my Zink Mini... On Skatepark. That was a wipeout on their end, and I unlocked six slots from the one match!

Just picked up the game, adding myself to the doc. Once I get a handle on what kit I want to use I'll start hunting you all down.. one by one..
Also check out our discord channel when you get the chance! I believe the 2nd post in the thread should give you some help on how to get started, but if you ask here there are folks that can help :)

One win is equal to five Turf Wars though. That and I've spent the past thirty hours or so of my play in Turf War (with Jr and Zink Mini, lol) to level stuff up, but I've got some semi-competitive wear to upgrade now. Figured I'd switch back over to speed these along.

My complaint seems to have done something, as it just put three E-Liters and one Splatterscope on their side, while we had two Tentateks, a 96 Deco, and my Zink Mini... On Skatepark. That was a wipeout on their end, and I unlocked six slots from the one match!
Yeah that was probably not much fun for the full charger team lol :p

ChrisD

Also check out our discord channel when you get the chance! I believe the 2nd post in the thread should give you some help on how to get started, but if you ask here there are folks that can help :)

Yeah that was probably not much fun for the full charger team lol :p

It serves them right.
Insert Marie crossing arms here.

I've asked before, but can someone post up how Overtime works again? Mostly wondering about Splat Zones.

Rawk Hawk

You will try ;)

Best of luck with that :p

I've found that the NES Zapper is a weapon choice, so really your fates are all sealed. Now if only my old zapper could be used as a peripheral.. I knew those duck hunt days would train me for something.

Thanks, I'm not familiar with discord so I'll definitely have to check it out.

I've asked before, but can someone post up how Overtime works again? Mostly wondering about Splat Zones.
afaik...

If you're winning, you just need to gain control to stop overtime. Keep in mind that you may need to control multiple zones at once in order to fully establish control.

If you're losing, you need to maintain control and run down your penalty time, then have your own time advance past the enemy team's in order to win.

On maps with multiple zones, the teams might end up trading or neutralizing control of individual zones, so that may end up causing some confusion.

So I tried to play yesterday and got hit with the 101-0502 error. Less than 24 hours earlier, everything was working fine. Didn't make any changes to my router or setup.

Connection test runs fine and I can still access the eShop and use the internet browser. Can't access my friend's list or connect to any online servers though. This sucks.

I tried all the suggested fixes related to that code (port forwarding, DMZ, resetting router, etc.) with no luck. Don't want to get too deep into changing router settings, and really don't see why I should have to since the game has worked flawlessly up until yesterday. PSN and Live are still working fine for what it's worth. Hoping this is just a temporary issue with my ISP or something.

ChrisD

afaik...

If you're winning, you just need to gain control to stop overtime. Keep in mind that you may need to control multiple zones at once in order to fully establish control.

If you're losing, you need to maintain control and run down your penalty time, then have your own time advance past the enemy team's in order to win.

On maps with multiple zones, the teams might end up trading or neutralizing control of individual zones, so that may end up causing some confusion.

Thanks.
It was Towers, so I guess they held their own zone. So even though they "Lost Control" by losing our zone for the 10+ seconds they didn't fully lose control? And therefore, we didn't need to control anything to win, but fully take away their control? Going to run with that, makes more sense than what I was assuming in the round (Take control of one away = OT ends).

More to add to Towers sucking. Every other dual zoned map you can at least reach the enemies zone within a second or two. Zones you may as well give up once OT kicks in. :(

jariw

So I tried to play yesterday and got hit with the 101-0502 error. Less than 24 hours earlier, everything was working fine. Didn't make any changes to my router or setup.

Connection test runs fine and I can still access the eShop and use the internet browser. Can't access my friend's list or connect to any online servers though. This sucks.

I tried all the suggested fixes related to that code (port forwarding, DMZ, resetting router, etc.) with no luck. Don't want to get too deep into changing router settings, and really don't see why I should have to since the game has worked flawlessly up until yesterday. PSN and Live are still working fine for what it's worth. Hoping this is just a temporary issue with my ISP or something.

I have experienced a couple of strange things the last few days when connecting the lobby, which has required me to try multiple times to get through. There's a lot of new players right now, I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

For most, but not all. Here's an old set of pictures that have overhead layouts and ranked details of the Splatoon maps, but unfortunately some of the newer maps are missing in this set:

http://imgur.com/a/Y1jtb

What you can also do on your own is Recon a level to take a look at how it works, and you can also look at the bottom screen for the minimap layout of the map.
Just a heads up, looks like whoever was working on the overhead maps that I linked earlier now also have included museum and resort.

http://imgur.com/a/Hnl9M

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/splatoon/comments/3yk22c/overhead_maps_updated_with_museum_mahi_mahi_rm/

Kito

Just played my first Piranha Pit game in SZ, some unusally non-inkable surfaces but I enjoyed it - a worthy addition.

Top Bottom