• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

I've gotta start playing this game more. Other games have been getting my attention, but Splatoon is my game of the year, and I should get to level 50.

I've never played on Camp Triggerfish, and there's a couple weapons I really want to start maining. I love the Slosher, but I want to try using the Tri-Slosher, and I also want to use the Mini Splatling. Those two weapons sound like my jam. Simple, but effective.

Happy new year SplatGAF! May there be more squidding through 2016 like 2015! And a very late congrats to Moskito for reaching S+ like a boss :D

StAidan

Octobrush Nouveau - Analysis and Thoughts

(This could be a long post.)

OK, so I spent an hour in Turf with Octobrush Nouveau this morning. I've been thinking about equipment for this weapon for a long time, so I had an idea of what I figured should work well. But most of my time this morning was spent leveling and rerolling the gear, so now I also have some experience with how badly the Nouveau sucks without certain things.

To start out, here is the loadout I leveled and rerolled this morning (I'll follow it up with reasoning below):

mMYunM3.jpg

With the original Octobrush, I ultimately settled on a triple QR build with Special Charge Up and Special Saver to make up for the fact that Octobrush dies all the time. I made it to S+ with that build, along with a highly aggressive base invading strategy that involved distracting enemies from the objective so that my teammates could push, cap the zone, whatever.

My prediction: that QR build won't work nearly as well with the Nouveau. Without beakons and kraken, constant base invading becomes less effective, requiring some other strategy. But the Nouveau has something that the original Octobrush doesn't -- RANGE!

That's right, you can now toss bombs and fire inkzookas with a ranged effectiveness that Octobrush has never had (and quite frankly, an effectiveness that I'm not accustomed to at all). What I'm hoping is that these ranged options will improve the overall k/d ratio to an extent that QR isn't necessary, allowing me to run gear that isn't meant to counter tons of deaths.

Special Charge Up x2.5 - Charge time for Inkzooka is bad, so if you want to use it then this seems pretty important.
Ink Recovery x1 - Absolutely necessary if you want to use your splat bombs. Most of my time this morning was without this crucial component, and it sucked. You simply must be able to throw your bomb and quickly get back enough ink to splat nearby enemies (or throw another bomb).
Cold Blooded - If you don't run QR, then you'll want this to survive echolocator. It will save your bacon, and maybe even the match.
Swim Speed x1 - Because squids are slow without it.

If I find that constant deaths are still a problem even with the new ranged capabilities, I will most likely reconfigure with Special Saver.

Another perk that will likely be a massive help, if you can fit it into your equipment, is Bomb Range Up. I ran into a number of bomb-tossing situations this morning where a bit of extra range would have made an important difference.

Of course, all of this analysis is still largely theoretical since I spent maybe 40 minutes in Turf without good equipment and then another 10 minutes in Turf after rerolling the loadout above. And I'll have to take this stuff into ranked to reach more final conclusions about it all.

So far, I like the Nouveau. It's gotten me out of situations where the vanilla Octobrush would have been at a supreme disadvantage. But I'm also not used to using splat bombs or inkzooka, so I certainly missed many opportunities to use them during my first Nouveau orientation. Is it as amazing as its older brother? That remains to be seen.

EDIT: And thanks, Nintendo, this was most definitely the best birthday present I will receive today.

Azure J

Aidan, what are your thoughts on adding one main's worth of Special Saver? Also, if I were to run damage up, how much would be good to balance around?

Haven't gotten to touch the weapon yet for I am a weak squid that fell asleep 13 minutes before launch, but I'm curious.

Azure J

StAidan

Aidan, what are your thoughts on adding one main's worth of Special Saver? Also, if I were to run damage up, how much would be good to balance around?

Haven't gotten to touch the weapon yet for I am a weak squid that fell asleep 13 minutes before launch, but I'm curious.

Whether you run Special Saver or Special Charge Up could depend on whether or not you can find a way to die less with the Nouveau over the vanilla. I don't know how possible that is yet, but I want to take it into ranked this afternoon maybe, and just see if my k/d improves.

The thing about Damage Up is I don't think it's worth using unless you have at least 2 mains worth. 3 is optimal but I don't think I could ever run Damage Up at the expense of Special Charge (or Saver) and Ink Recovery (for the splat bombs).

Azure J

Whether you run Special Saver or Special Charge Up could depend on whether or not you can find a way to die less with the Nouveau over the vanilla. I don't know how possible that is yet, but I want to take it into ranked this afternoon maybe, and just see if my k/d improves.

The thing about Damage Up is I don't think it's worth using unless you have at least 2 mains worth. 3 is optimal but I don't think I could ever run Damage Up at the expense of Special Charge (or Saver) and Ink Recovery (for the splat bombs).

This portion of sentence right here is precisely why for as much as I truly vouch for how legit damage up octo is, I have the hardest time committing to it.

I also realize again that this build:

Would actually have way more synergy with itself if others opted for the natural Quick Respawn triple you get from the Squidvader Cap. Not sure of the actual amount of time one QR main shaves off your respawn time, but it might be worth looking into for folks that actually want to mess with Squidvader Cap.

ChrisD

Huh, I thought Nouveau would be coming out later today, as that would follow the pattern of basically every other weapon. An earlier release is nice.

ffdgh

Funny thing is I never/very very rarely used the 52 gal before that rainmaker roataion. It was the only usable weapon I could think of for hammer head rainmaker thanks to splah walls working so well there lol.

As for the new octobrush, this is what I've been using for turf war with good success.

StAidan

Funny thing is I never/very very rarely used the 52 gal before that rainmaker roataion. It was the only usable weapon I could think of for hammer head rainmaker thanks to splah walls working so well there lol.

As for the new octobrush, this is what I've been using for turf war with good success.

Omigosh, that shirt!

Junahu

I hope everyone in Europe remembered that the splatfest is friday-saturday, rather than saturday-sunday.

I know I didn't. I only stumbled into it because I was grinding ranked battles to climb out of the As (Which I finally did, now I'm an S).

blado

Just picked this up from gamestop a few days ago. Definitely enjoying all of the weapons so far. Can't wait to try ranked once I get to 10.

Hackworth

I hope everyone in Europe remembered that the splatfest is friday-saturday, rather than saturday-sunday.

I know I didn't. I only stumbled into it because I was grinding ranked battles to climb out of the As (Which I finally did, now I'm an S).
It's usually Sunday-Monday in New Zealand so I should probably be playing right now if it's earlier than usual. Ta.

Thanks for this. Would have missed it completely otherwise though given how I am away for most of its duration tomorrow I doubt I'll even make it to defender this time.

ChrisD

If you E-Liter on Towers and Burst Bomb your way out of bad situations an E-Liter shouldn't get in, a hearty SCREW YOU goes out from me.

Edit: In Turf War. It's always a pain, but I expect competitive * in Ranked.

Hackworth

Dammit I got up to Champion with minimal trouble then I got eight losses in a row (with 1000 points per game) and now I hate Splatoon. What's with the matchmaking right now?

DaBoss

Dammit I got up to Champion with minimal trouble then I got eight losses in a row (with 1000 points per game) and now I hate Splatoon. What's with the matchmaking right now?
Matchmaking in Splatfest favors matching people with a similar skill level since the last update.

Started 2016 the right way
FZSoHDy.jpg

Didn't play rank for almost 2 months, I think. Partnered up with my friend after midnight, played until 4am. Now time to work for that S+

Zeldana

Neo Member
Matchmaking in Splatfest favors matching people with a similar skill level since the last update.
About that... http://imgur.com/tOUpruu
Moral: Don't become The Annihilator of Newbies if you ever set up an alt account. I wanted to start fresh with charger-type weapons for the gradual skill increase but then this happened. There's like no point anymore, lol

I played an hour of Turf War yesterday morning, and tried out the Mini Splatling.

Holy cow, this gun is amazing. I don't know why I didn't play with this thing way earlier, because it's so much fun. I'm running two pieces of gear with run speed up, and one piece of gear with ink recovery up, and I'm having a great time with the gun right now. Only issue is that I suck with the Inkzooka, so I'll probably switch to the Zink Mini.

Now I need to try the Tri-Slosher, but I want to have some more fun with this Mini Spatling.

RedFyn

So first off I'm sure there was a bit of lag (high ping?) which helps but I also think you guys weren't quite understanding what I was doing tonight. When I bunnyhop like that I actually do swim in your ink, pop up, fire, swim into your ink, pop up, fire, repeat until someone dies. You can swim in the enemies ink for a fraction of a second without impediment and I abuse that to annoy all you :p I think ink resistance also helps me tank the damage from your ink on the ground. So yeah, if it looks like I'm popping up out of your ink its because I am.

vanty

I played an hour of Turf War yesterday morning, and tried out the Mini Splatling.

Holy cow, this gun is amazing. I don't know why I didn't play with this thing way earlier, because it's so much fun. I'm running two pieces of gear with run speed up, and one piece of gear with ink recovery up, and I'm having a great time with the gun right now. Only issue is that I suck with the Inkzooka, so I'll probably switch to the Zink Mini.

Now I need to try the Tri-Slosher, but I want to have some more fun with this Mini Spatling.
I tried the Mini Splatling a while ago and didn't understand why anyone would use it over the Splattershot which seems to have similar range/damage/whatever but without the charging. I almost never see anyone using one compared to the big one.

SM239

Zink Mini is the truth. The bubbler and disruptor are much better than the standard's kit. Throw some run speed up and special charge up on the thing and it's a beast. It is also one of the few weapons I would really recommend ink resistance on since you will spend most of your time walking. Also being able to outrage splattershots and .52s makes it great for pressuring users of those weapons.

Oh would you look at that, Nintendo Network is down. Looks like I'm getting nothing from this Splatfest. Thanks NOE for starting it a day early for no fucking reason. I just hope they see some sense and extent it...oh who am kidding it is NOE.

I am really sick of NOE mismanagement of Splatoon. From terrible Splatfest themes, the fact we have had one less Splatfest than the rest of the world and now that is effectively two for many players not knowing it is 24 hours early and the Nintendo Network downtime eating potential play time as well.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh would you look at that, Nintendo Network is down. Looks like I'm getting nothing from this Splatfest. Thanks NOE for starting it a day early for no fucking reason. I just hope they see some sense and extent it...oh who am kidding it is NOE.

I am really sick of NOE mismanagement of Splatoon. From terrible Splatfest themes, the fact we have had one less Splatfest than the rest of the world and now that is effectively two for many players not knowing it is 24 hours early and the Nintendo Network downtime eating potential play time as well.
Gave me a reason to finally finish off that octoking /shrug

Thanks! Even though the OT has largely been abandoned, I'm starting an S+ Hall of Fame with one rule: post the screenshot. I found everyone below by searching 'S+', let me know if I've missed you...

OT4:

1. Smashkirby - .96 Gal Deco
  2. Saro - Octobrush
  3. Las7 - .96 Gal Deco
  4. Robotguy - .96 Gal
  5. Jeff Vader - Luna Neo
  6. StAidan - Octobrush
  7. ffdgh - .52 Gal
  8. nom - N-Zap '89
  9. Azure J - .96 Gal Deco
  10. ChrisD - Dynamo
    [*]Triforce 141 - Custom Jet Squelcher
  11. Moskito - Luna Neo
The n-zap is criminally underrepresented. Gotta do something about it.

I tried the Mini Splatling a while ago and didn't understand why anyone would use it over the Splattershot which seems to have similar range/damage/whatever but without the charging. I almost never see anyone using one compared to the big one.

It's probably just a matter of preference. I'm not too skilled with the Heavy or Hydra Splatling, but those seem like more defensive weapons, where as the Mini is just straight offense. No movement penalty when shooting it, and the charge time is super-duper quick. Also access to Bubbler. Those who prefer the Splattershot or the Tentatek can use those. I'll take my Mini Spatling.

Also, the winpose is adorable. I'd post a gif, but...I'm kind of in the process of making one.

nom

Tournament News:

The big one, InkStorm 3, starts today at 2PM EST (7PM GMT)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW5AL9Z4COc

33 teams signed up (so a $660 prize pot!) including Japanese teams such as Memories (won InkStorm 1 and 2). Today will start with the group stages, with top 2 teams of each group then going through to eliminations which will start today or tomorrow. You can find out a bit more about some of the teams here.

Our two teams are...

NSTC: James, fuzzy, Nikey, Sendou and Walkman
N2STC: Burnburn, DaBoss, Goya, Robotguy, Saro, Samura1man, Toadsili T, ynnaD

Hopefully it's a good tournament, there will be plenty of streams but the main one will be

www.twitch.tv/endgametv1

which will bounce around the matches with commentary.

ffdgh

Standard mini? Understandable.
Zink Mini though...
Slightly longer range, better running speed, disruptor/bubbler ruinung peoples day, charge time is nearly nonexistent. Pretend it's the splatter shot JR and it'll fall into place.

Regiruler

Took the plunge and rerolled my octo headgear a few times. Ended up with two sub saver one main saver.

I lost one of my damage up subs to it but given that the throwing up sub was practically useless, it replaced a recovery up sub and has been a net positive.

Top Bottom