• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

I've found that the NES Zapper is a weapon choice, so really your fates are all sealed. Now if only my old zapper could be used as a peripheral.. I knew those duck hunt days would train me for something.

Thanks, I'm not familiar with discord so I'll definitely have to check it out.
NZap? You'll never be in range of this:
Heavy_Splatling_Deco.jpg

...It's a special kind of salt to see a teammate disappear in a puff of smoke before my eyes and then proceed to have the other team corner us at spawn. I mean, I understand the mentality of it, but I tend to keep to the middle of the field when my team has clear map control.

Kito

I haven't played the Squid Jump minigame in months because matchmaking is so instant. I realised this today when I accidentally started it. I thought 'what is this?' ha.

GWX

Loving the new map, just went berserk twice in a row and it felt gud. Currently playing Turf War with randoms, switching seats with my sis every round.

Nightii

Banned
Yo, I love The Pit! Splat Zones is intense without teams being capable of agonizing lockdowns!

I did so well I managed to finally make it to rank A! this is just what I needed after a couple of really frustrating weeks in real life put me off the game after the Splatfest, I feel much better!

EDIT: I just beat a japanese team of two Blasters, a Dynamo and an E-Liter via knockout! Oh Splatoon, it wasn't that long of an absence, but I truly missed you.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Here's an updated changelog of every Splatoon update, for the curious. All dates and Splatfests are North American.

Patches and new game modes are highlighted, Splatfests are italicized, new stages are bold, new weapons are plaintext:

May 29: Splatoon released (29 weapons plus three Amiibo-unlocked weapons, 160 pieces of gear in shops plus nine Amiibo-unlocked ones and the Splatfest Tee, five background songs during matches, five maps, Battle Dojo, Octo Valley, Regular Battles, Turf War)
June 1: Added: Ranked Battles, Splat Zones, Port Mackerel, N-ZAP '85
June 2: Patch Version 1.2 (fixed a glitch with Spyke not taking money and stabilized Booyah Base framerate)
June 5: Added: Inkbrush
June 10: Added: Kelp Dome
June 12: Added: Splash-o-matic
June 16: Added: L-3 Nozzlenose, Custom E-Liter 3K
June 19: Added: Bluefin Depot
June 23: Added: Luna Blaster
June 26: Added: Custom Dual Squelcher, Carbon Roller
June 30: Patch Version 1.3 (same teams can play against each other in Splatfest when there aren't enough players on the other team; Kraken, Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump nerfed; Inkstrike coverage made more consistent)
July 1: Added: Tower Control
July 4: First Splatfest (cats vs. dogs)
July 7: Added: Sploosh-o-matic, .96 Gal Deco
July 10: Added: Moray Towers
July 17: Added: N-ZAP '89, Octobrush
July 18: Second Splatfest (rollercoasters vs. waterslides)
July 21: Added: Neo Splash-o-matic, E-Liter 3K Scope
July 24: Added: Camp Triggerfish
July 31: Added: Range Blaster, Inkbrush Nouveau
Aug. 5: Patch Version 2.0 (added Squad Battles, Private Battles, Slosher, Heavy Splatling, four new background songs during matches and 45 new pieces of gear in shops; increased level cap from 20 to 50 and ranked cap from A+ to S+; reworked Urchin Underpass; nerfed Inkzooka and Echolocator and buffed Killer Wail)
Aug. 8: Third Splatfest (marshmallows vs. hot dogs)
Aug. 14: Added: Rainmaker
Aug. 20: Added: Flounder Heights
Aug. 28: Added: Bamboozler 14 Mk I, L-3 Nozzlenose D
Aug. 29: Fourth Splatfest (Autobots vs. Decepticons)
Sept. 1: Patch Version 2.1 (fixed bugs; changed camera angle for rollers when splashing back to Version 1.3; changing scoring of close Tower Control games back to Version 1.3; slightly changed Arowana Mall and Camp Triggerfish)
Sept. 4: Added: Mini Splatling
Sept. 11: Added: H-3 Nozzlenose
Sept. 17: Added: Hammerhead Bridge
Sept. 19: Fifth Splatfest (art vs. science)
Sept. 25: Added: Tri-Slosher
Oct. 2: Added: Carbon Roller Deco
Oct. 10: Added: Custom E-liter 3k Scope, Custom Range Blaster
Oct. 10: Sixth Splatfest (cars vs. planes)
Oct. 20: Patch Version 2.2 (fixed bugs; nerfed indirect damage for all blasters and rollers; decreased ink usage for Splattershot Pro and Squelchers; adjusted ranking calculation; adjusted rules for Rainmaker and Tower Control; adjusted Walleye Warehouse and Kelp Dome in Rainmaker; adjusted Saltspray Rig, Arowana Mall, Flounder Heights and Hammerhead Bridge in all modes; made position-tracking for teammates less visible; made Inkzooka louder)
Oct. 29: Added: H3 Nozzlenose D, Luna Blaster Neo
Oct: 31: Seventh Splatfest (pirates vs. ninjas)
Nov. 6: Added: Heavy Splatling Deco
Nov. 10: Added: Neo Sploosh-o-matic
Nov. 12: Patch Version 2.3 (fixed bugs; added 42 new pieces of gear in shops; changed Ranked Battle results screen to show players in the order of their winning percentage over the previous 10 games rather than in the order of splats in that game)
Nov. 13: Added: Museum d'Alfonsino
Nov. 17: Added: Bamboozler 14 Mk II
Nov. 20: Added: Hydra Splatling
Nov. 24: Added: Slosher Deco
Nov. 27: Added: Sloshing Machine
Dec. 3: Added: Mahi Mahi Resort
Dec. 5: Eighth Splatfest (burgers vs. pizza)
Dec. 11: Added: Zink Mini Splatling
Dec. 17: Patch Version 2.4 (fixed bugs; players of similar skill matched more often in Turf War and Splatfest; added prohibited areas in some Rainmaker maps; shortcut paths removed from Mall, Port, Heights and Museum)
Dec. 18: Added: Tri-Slosher Nouveau
Dec. 19: Ninth Splatfest (naughty vs. nice)
Dec. 25: Rapid Blaster Pro Deco
Dec. 28: Added: Piranha Pit

It feels like updates have picked up a bit... maybe to make people who just picked it up since Black Friday feel like early adopters did in the first few months.

Needham

Finally hit 2000 points in a turf wars match just running around like a nut with the Splattershot Jr. The new map's interesting. I do enjoy swimming up and jumping off the edge of the conveyor ramps in the middle area and shooting guys like a ninja from above. But the highlight so far was running from a bunch of guys down a conveyor belt then bubbling and taking them all out as they were stuck trying to run away from me back up the conveyor belt.

Also, kuddos to the baddass who just walked straight through a killer wail like it was nothing and killed me.

Nightii

Banned
*Remembers he still has the 24 snails from the last Splatfest.*

*Uses them all on rerolls and adding slots to the Black Baseball LS, winds up with pretty good sets, especially Pro Trails Boots with 3 Defense Ups, Blue Moto Boots with 2 Run Speed-Up and Layered Anchor LS with 3 Damage Ups.*

*Forgets the favorite shirt, White Anchor Tee, has a meh setup, wastes all money desperately hoping for a good one....ends up with 2 Damage Ups/1 Ink Saver Sub.*

Welp, I'm poor now. Would you folks call Ninja Squid overrated? I've grown too attached to it.

Geg

Ninja Squid isn't used as much as it used to be but it can still definitely be useful depending on your weapon/playstyle. Most of us seem to prefer the better mobility of stacking lots of swim speed over the slower invisible movement of ninja squid.

ffdgh

*Uses them all on rerolls and adding slots to the Black Baseball LS, winds up with pretty good sets, especially Pro Trails Boots with 3 Defense Ups, Blue Moto Boots with 2 Run Speed-Up and Layered Anchor LS with 3 Damage Ups.*

*Forgets the favorite shirt, White Anchor Tee, has a meh setup, wastes all money desperately hoping for a good one....ends up with 2 Damage Ups/1 Ink Saver Sub.*

Welp, I'm poor now. Would you folks call Ninja Squid overrated? I've grown too attached to it.

Wouldn't say it's overrated. Never had much of a use for it though since tilting the analog is a slot free alternative.

correojon

I use it always with the InkBrush. When you need to get close and personal or disappear quickly after creating some chaos behind enemy lines it´s really useful, but for weapons with more reach having more mobility may be better.

StAidan

I enjoyed new map night with SplatGAF. Playing with you guys again made me miss the game all over again.

Anyway, the new map seems pretty great. Pretty decent options for positioning yourself no matter what weapon you use. I felt right at home there with Octobrush. :)

Rawk Hawk

NZap? You'll never be in range of this:

Is that a good one? i truthfully haven't tried many options yet, .52 was nice, Jr was nice, didn't like the sniper.. but right now I just have turf war to play, so sniping I suppose isn't as important in that mode. But so far the NZap has been my favorite, just hit level 7 last night.

So they're updating the game for months but they still haven't fixed the issue of not getting your Super Sea Snails if you don't boot up the game before the next Splatfest announcement. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is that a good one? i truthfully haven't tried many options yet, .52 was nice, Jr was nice, didn't like the sniper.. but right now I just have turf war to play, so sniping I suppose isn't as important in that mode. But so far the NZap has been my favorite, just hit level 7 last night.
It's a great weapon that puts a lot of pressure on the other team for sure. But it really shines when you pair it with the run speed up ability.

L95

So they're updating the game for months but they still haven't fixed the issue of not getting your Super Sea Snails if you don't boot up the game before the next Splatfest announcement. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I figured that was intentional function IDK why, but they've been good at fixing other issues.

Splatlings are awesome, but they have a way different play style compared to the run and gun that NZaps have. I would suggest that you give every weapon a shot to see if you can get used to it, but if you like NZaps the most, then continue using NZaps :p

CSX

Just got my copy. Last time I played was the beta.

Just hit level 4 and won every match and always had the highest point in my team...

I always had points >1000 while every other player was between 500-600

Now is this because I'm being matchmaker against all the little ones who just got the game for Christmas or is it the game making me feel good by giving me extra points so I can get to level 4 and buy the splat roller?

ffdgh

Just hit level 4 and won every match and always had the highest point in my team...

Now is this because I'm being matchmaker against all the little ones who just got the game for Christmas or is it the game making me feel good by giving me extra points so I can get to level 4 and buy the splat roller?

Winning nets you a free extra 300 points in turf war. It'll start pairing you with harder/better players if you keep at the pace your going for wins.

CSX

Winning nets you a free extra 300 points in turf war. It'll start pairing you with harder/better players if you keep at the pace your going for wins.
Lmao right after u posted that I was matchmaked with 7 Japanese players with my opposing team with levels in 20s and 30s...

Got my ass handed to me so hard lol

RedFyn

Yeah, matchmaking will put you where you need to be. It just needs more time to figure that out. It's not perfect but it works.

Lmao right after u posted that I was matchmaked with 7 Japanese players with my opposing team with levels in 20s and 30s...

Got my ass handed to me so hard lol
When you're ready for a challenge come play with us. My nnid is RedFyn

Ahnez

Only 5 months later and finally I'm starting to understand how to use a charger

The pit is so fun :p

So many unpaintable areas tho lol

L95

lol, the great zapfish appears in the water at piranha pit at 44 seconds left, near the jelly that's in the boat.

nSwnqwn.jpg

ChrisD

So I don't want to pin blame on all my losses to teammates, but I really wish the game's ranking system was less binary. I'm at 3 points now after a three loss streak. First one we had an AFK who didn't D/C, meaning full loss in points. Second game a 0/10 96 Deco. Last game, I go 17/6, partners go a collective 20/32. Like, why do these drop my points just as much as games where we all play great?

Basically I lost twelve points to stuff not even... Really in my control. And I only had fifteen... Guess I should just drop it and try to get back. Time to play the S lottery Round 2. :/

ffdgh

lol, the great zapfish appears in the water at piranha pit at 44 seconds left, near the jelly that's in the boat.

nSwnqwn.jpg
Haha neat. Gotta love the smaller details
So I don't want to pin blame on all my losses to teammates, but I really wish the game's ranking system was less binary. I'm at 3 points now after a three loss streak. First one we had an AFK who didn't D/C, meaning full loss in points. Second game a 0/10 96 Deco. Last game, I go 17/6, partners go a collective 20/32. Like, why do these drop my points just as much as games where we all play great?

Basically I lost twelve points to stuff not even... Really in my control. And I only had fifteen... Guess I should just drop it and try to get back. Time to play the S lottery Round 2. :/

That sucks to hear. Admittingly I haven't really touched ranked ever since hitting S+ lol.

ChrisD

Haha neat. Gotta love the smaller details

That sucks to hear. Admittingly I haven't really touched ranked ever since hitting S+ lol.

I much MUCH prefer squadding, but my brother is always on the PC. Solo is the only way I can play Zones and Rainmaker.

Dropped down. I just witnessed an S rank Inkbrush covering the bottom portion of Rig while our Sniper was a non-scope who just kept his laser out... You can't make this stuff up.

Lottery was not a joke...

Some of you may remember the last time I tried to get pure damage up Cyan Trainers last
Monday right? Well, Spyke delivered 2 subs again but this time, it was different!

WVW69iuO9BUfE5xbhF

Top Bottom