• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

joelseph

And snails let you reroll item bonuses? Which are random so it could take multiple snails to get the bonus you want?

Do snails do anything else?

SM239

So i JUST got on this train and started playing today lol (rttp i know) and... is there something i need to know as a real noob here, like which weapon to go for first etc.?

I mean, do i just buy them all eventually or should i save up to buy that ONE specific weapon?

I would say go for the Tentatek Splattershot first. The Tentatek unlocks at level 4 and is a good all around weapon set. I would recommend buying them all at some point as each weapon set has its own unique playstyle.

Geeky

Hey Y'all,

I just wanted to run this by the community to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

Over the last couple of weeks on Turf Wars I have noticed some players (I think all Japanese) who just run around the map and don't really participate in the game.

At first I thought it was maybe someone letting their younger sibling play and they just didn't know what was going on, but you see them get score like in the 20's and 30's as if they only fired one or two shots with their weapon. I know it isn't some weird disconnect problem because they should show a score of 0.

I have seen it quite a few times now. Is this some weird troll thing that players are doing now? It isn't too bad since it is just Turf Wars, but I was also trying to level up my Splatfest tee ahead of time and would have appreciated the 300p bonus winning gives you to speed that along.

I would say go for the Tentatek Splattershot first. The Tentatek unlocks at level 4 and is a good all around weapon set. I would recommend buying them all at some point as each weapon set has its own unique playstyle.

Make sure you play the single player to unlock the Gold Aerospray and Dynamo rollers.

Those are some good tips, tx!

Is the Tentatek available in the regular store just like that? I could've sworn i checked the weapons selection earlier and didn't see it hmmm...

SM239

Hey Y'all,

I just wanted to run this by the community to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

Over the last couple of weeks on Turf Wars I have noticed some players (I think all Japanese) who just run around the map and don't really participate in the game.

At first I thought it was maybe someone letting their younger sibling play and they just didn't know what was going on, but you see them get score like in the 20's and 30's as if they only fired one or two shots with their weapon. I know it isn't some weird disconnect problem because they should show a score of 0.

I have seen it quite a few times now. Is this some weird troll thing that players are doing now? It isn't too bad since it is just Turf Wars, but I was also trying to level up my Splatfest tee ahead of time and would have appreciated the 300p bonus winning gives you to speed that along.

Most of the time it's just people trolling or trying to start what are called "squid parties". I just try and carry when those kind of people are on my team.

Those are some good tips, tx!

Is the Tentatek available in the regular store just like that? I could've sworn i checked the weapons selection earlier and didn't see it hmmm...

It should be available in the weapon shop after you reach level 4. It costs 2000p to purchase.

StAidan

Hey Y'all,

This is merely anecdotal, but when my 3-year-old daughter asks to play, 20-30 points at the end of the round is pretty common :)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So Nikki is pissed off at Nintendo for banning him again and released 20 minutes of the Office Map. Don't watch if you don't want to be spoiled.

Oh cool, you can
move some parts of the level up by firing at fans

I love the cubicles and the elevator door, too

Tusk

Haven't played this in so long. Wanna try playing again, but I'm worried I'll get destroyed since it's been so long.

The game is nearing the end of its DLC releases right?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Haven't played this in so long. Wanna try playing again, but I'm worried I'll get destroyed since it's been so long.

The game is nearing the end of its DLC releases right?

Nintendo has said that it will continue adding content through January. By our count, there's just one weapon and one stage left to go.

But that Nikki hacker claimed to have found a bunch of new DLC hidden in the code that's being worked on. So who knows.

besides, Callie and Marie Amiibos just make too much sense

Regiruler

I don't think Nikki ever used the hacks online like that one Japanese player that's been going around on twitter.

He danced with the devil regardless.

Speaking of which, I'm seeing an uptick of racist/vulgar mii names that somehow get past the censors. Any way to report those?

EDIT: I also think he's bluffing on the march DLC shit just so people still pay attention to him. He hasn't given anything to us that validates that statement.

Moondrop

Banned
Past vs. Future is another tough one. I think I'm leaning past. We'll all eventually see the future. Some of us more than others.

I'd been getting decent with the H-3 Nozzlenose, but it's the definition of high risk/low reward. You feel like a god when things are clicking, but there's only so many times you can get splatted by squids you'd been in sufficient position to squish with any other weapon. At least it was good aiming practice.

Now in the market for something easy mode, I'd like to attempt maining burst bombs. Which leads to the eternal question, which weapon best supports burst bombs?

The best special available with burst bombs is Echolocator, but the E-liter isn't a great inking weapon. Thus my conclusion is...

Any good L-3 Nozzlenose D streamers? Burst bomb / Kraken is the funnest combo. I'd like to use this weapon a lot more, I know it has S+ potential from the many randoms I've seen carrying teams with it.

The Light Nozzlenose feels like a proper sidearm; you're never tempted to lean on it as your primary weapon. And Kraken, with which I have a love/hate relationship, makes a better Nope! button for my style than Inkzooka. Plus the dolphin sticker.

Glad there's a splatfest coming up; that's my favorite time to learn a new weapon.

Kito

Hacker upset with company for banning them from a game because they hacked the game...?

It's not just Splatoon, his console's number was banned. To get online again he would have to purchase a new Wii U.

The Light Nozzlenose feels like a proper sidearm; you're never tempted to lean on it as your primary weapon. And Kraken, with which I have a love/hate relationship, makes a better Nope! button for my style than Inkzooka. Plus the dolphin sticker.

I felt like a bad player since most of my splats were down to its sub and special, so it's very interesting to get your perspective which promotes my current play style. I guess I'll just have to continue figuring it out and become the S+ streamer I'm looking for.

ss-hikaru

So i JUST got on this train and started playing today lol (rttp i know) and... is there something i need to know as a real noob here, like which weapon to go for first etc.?

I mean, do i just buy them all eventually or should i save up to buy that ONE specific weapon?

You can try out the weapons when you talk to the weapons guy err Sheldon so I usually bought what felt nice and then after that bought weapons that had the subs/specials I liked which helped me branch out a bit more in terms of weapon type.

I don't think Splatoon has that "ONE specific weapon" that everyone should/does use but some here might disagree :p
something something aerospray detriment?

ChrisD

I'm assuming the last ban wasn't a Console ban.

I just looked through an entire Shirt list and saw a shirt I still don't have... And I've never seen it worn in-game. It's called the "Reel Sweat". The worse part is that apparently I'm also missing another and I don't have the patience to cross-check all of my shirts with a list. :|

Regiruler

It's not just Splatoon, his console's number was banned. To get online again he would have to purchase a new Wii U.

Pictured banhammer:

WVW69iyIpYMw6c3Tfu

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah Nikki doesn't really play online with her hacks besides the training room and private rooms with Hank for Nintendome. It is what it is, though she publically shows her hacks so it was only a matter of time...

I'm assuming the last ban wasn't a Console ban.

I just looked through an entire Shirt list and saw a shirt I still don't have... And I've never seen it worn in-game. It's called the "Reel Sweat". The worse part is that apparently I'm also missing another and I don't have the patience to cross-check all of my shirts with a list. :|

Oh yeah! It's a red sweatshirt with Special Duration Up and Zekko brand. I like mine cause it looks cool and has triple damage up when I levelled it up normally.

Nico_D

I have a new favorite thing.

You know those zigzag shooter-swimmers who go at incredible speed left-right hardly staying in either form, squid or kid?

My favorite thing is sniping them. They start coming at me so sure of themselves and that I can't hit them. But you just gotta study the rhythm and then snapshot when they're at the apex of the movement. Suckers.

Also,hoy namesake! Teemu! People keep asking about you in Discord chat confusing you and me. Come and make yourself known!

I have a new favorite thing.

You know those zigzag shooter-swimmers who go at incredible speed left-right hardly staying in either form, squid or kid?

My favorite thing is sniping them. They start coming at me so sure of themselves and that I can't hit them. But you just gotta study the rhythm and then snapshot when they're at the apex of the movement. Suckers.

Also,hoy namesake! Teemu! People keep asking about you in Discord chat confusing you and me. Come and make yourself known!

I think I've seen The Other Teemu like twice in this thread ever. Maybe.

Nico_D

Question: What's "splatfest"? and does it occur regularly?

Splatfest is what we're a supposed to think as a funny event happening once a month. You pick a side of the two given (for example: do you want to travel to the future or to the past) and then play with the people who voted the same. If your side ends of winning, you get more super snails than if you lose.

Quite boring affair now, I'd say. Still I find playing it all the way through after declaring I won't be doing so this time.

I feel kind of bad that I've actually made a word document to catalogue all the gear I own, how many slots are unlocked, and what they have on them. But I am filled with such glee whenever I check something off, so I guess it was worth it.

...Still missing thirty shirts.

Moondrop

Banned
I felt like a bad player since most of my splats were down to its sub and special, so it's very interesting to get your perspective which promotes my current play style. I guess I'll just have to continue figuring it out and become the S+ streamer I'm looking for.
Never feel bad if you're getting results. Even if you're just spamming bombs into the ground at melee range. Create the scrubs you wish to see in the world, I believe the bumper sticker reads.

One struggle I've had with the kit is I really like to bring some form of team support, such as bubbler or echolocator. But burst bombs themselves have some inherent utility. They can function as a poor man's disruptor/point sensor, cheaply probing enemy ink and debuffing those you tag. They're great at vertical inking. And finally they're amazing for chip damage, which can be clutch to help teammates get kills. You often won't get the credit as you've landed the opening or middle hits, but you'll save a teammate from trading and be repayed in Booyahs.

I trust you're aware damage up stacking is critical to burst bombs, but for those who aren't, here are the breakpoints:
- 2 subs: 1 direct hit + 1 near miss becomes KO
- 5 subs: 2 near miss + 1 splash becomes KO
- ~11 subs: 1 direct hit + 1 splash becomes KO
Never leave the house without at least two. But eleven requires at least one damage up main, and I'm not sure I want to look like a sniper.

Nico_D

Never leave the house without at least two. But eleven requires at least one damage up main, and I'm not sure I want to look like a sniper.

That might be but considering how many seem to survive three burst bombs to the face, it might not. And I am a sniper so I've plenty of dmg ups.

Also, the delay of Burst Bomb kills is a curious thing.

Burnburn

I trust you're aware damage up stacking is critical to burst bombs, but for those who aren't, here are the breakpoints:

You can throw that out of the window since everyone and their mom seems to run 4102+ defense up nowadays

Question: What's "splatfest"? and does it occur regularly?

Already been answered but to clarify on the prizes...

Once you reach level 20, Spyke in the alley will allow you to add slots to your gear for additional buffs (max of 3 subs to go with the 1 main) or allow you to re-roll the 3 sub-buffs on any piece of gear. His fee for doing either of these is 30000 coins.

However he'll also do it for one Super Snail, and you win Snails from participating in Splatfests. You get some even if your team loses, just not as many.

But Splatfests have gotten pretty unpleasant in recent times. It goes on too long, all other modes except for private matches are blocked for 24 hours, connection errors seem much more common, and since you play with everyone you get matched up with people that just play Turf War and never touched Ranked so there is a very glaring skill gap.

If you get matched with a good group of players Fests are a ton of fun, but because of the connection issues it's a gamble on how long any single group will last. But it is nice seeing everyone dancing in the plaza, neon ink, and how different stages look with a night theme.

Moondrop

Banned
I hadn't played a kraken weapon since before the more vertical maps were implemented, so I'm not presenting this as new information. But I just learned that "falling" is mechanically the same as jumping for the kraken. So you can leap off a great height and then activate it just over your opponent's head. Or say when you're walking above them on a Kelp dome grate. Very satisfying.

And now thinking on it, I bet you could superjump into danger and activate kraken just before landing. Just imagine a quick superjump/special charge up kraken build...

Also, the delay of Burst Bomb kills is a curious thing.
Yeah I've noticed that too. It doesn't seem to actually lag such that I trade when I shouldn't, but kill confirmation with burst bombs seems slower than other weapons. Perhaps there are extra distance calculations being performed.

Robotguy

I hadn't played a kraken weapon since before the more vertical maps were implemented, so I'm not presenting this as new information. But I just learned that "falling" is mechanically the same as jumping for the kraken. So you can leap off a great height and then activate it just over your opponent's head. Or say when you're walking above them on a Kelp dome grate. Very satisfying.

And now thinking on it, I bet you could superjump into danger and activate kraken just before landing. Just imagine a quick superjump/special charge up kraken build...

Yeah I've noticed that too. It doesn't seem to actually lag such that I trade when I shouldn't, but kill confirmation with burst bombs seems slower than other weapons. Perhaps there are extra distance calculations being performed.
You can, yes.

So, I turned off the motion controls and never looked back. I guess I'm old school or something.

For the people that are really good at this: do you use motion? Am I hindering myself by not using?

phanphare

Banned
So, I turned off the motion controls and never looked back. I guess I'm old school or something.

For the people that are really good at this: do you use motion? Am I hindering myself by not using?

I'd say most prefer the motion controls but there are a few really good players that post here that only use the sticks

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Already been answered but to clarify on the prizes...

Once you reach level 20, Spyke in the alley will allow you to add slots to your gear for additional buffs (max of 3 subs to go with the 1 main) or allow you to re-roll the 3 sub-buffs on any piece of gear. His fee for doing either of these is 30000 coins.

However he'll also do it for one Super Snail, and you win Snails from participating in Splatfests. You get some even if your team loses, just not as many.

But Splatfests have gotten pretty unpleasant in recent times. It goes on too long, all other modes except for private matches are blocked for 24 hours, connection errors seem much more common, and since you play with everyone you get matched up with people that just play Turf War and never touched Ranked so there is a very glaring skill gap.

If you get matched with a good group of players Fests are a ton of fun, but because of the connection issues it's a gamble on how long any single group will last. But it is nice seeing everyone dancing in the plaza, neon ink, and how different stages look with a night theme.

Also, the different music is great

SM239

I only use sticks and I can hold my own against gyro users in S+. If you can learn gyro I would strongly suggest using them as gyro is much more precise than sticks. Though I understand why you would disable them. For me the disabling of the vertical axis on the stick was the biggest thing that threw me off with gyro.

Geg

The weapon upgrades you get from collecting the orange orbs are single-player only.

Each boss fight has a sunken scroll that unlocks some weapons for you to use online, and beating the single player gets you two gear sets that you can also use online

Sendou

For casual play either is fine really. For competitive play gyro is always going to be better. Yet there are people that play on the highest level using sticks only. Yet even some of those players later picked up gyro (Yugo for example who is considered one of world's best .52 users).

CO_Andy

Anybody still use the Inkbrush? Hardly ever see anyone use it in S-rank (and by hardly i mean nobody). If you like the Nzap 89 like me it's not a bad replacement.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Hey Y'all,

I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago and managed to film a match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kHD-tSYEJk

I assume that it's just organized trolling, but my lobby was pretty split between Japanese and NA/EU players. I guess they keep at the nonviolent thing until they find a full lobby of people willing to play along?

Top Bottom