• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Fredescu

Once you reach level 20, Spyke in the alley will allow you to add slots to your gear for additional buffs (max of 3 subs to go with the 1 main) or allow you to re-roll the 3 sub-buffs on any piece of gear. His fee for doing either of these is 30000 coins.

I don't think this level restriction still applies. I'm not level 20 yet and I've been using him for a while. Maybe they changed it to level 10?

Edit: Ah, I think I've got it. The level restriction applies to paying with coins, which I can't do yet. I can buy or reroll slots with snails.

Javier

Well, it's been nice, but all good things...

ZYSOCR0.png

Fireblend

Banned
Hey guys, finally bought this! I'm super excited to finally check it out. Should I play through the single player before attempting multiplayer or can I jump right into the MP after getting used to the controls in the tutorial? I guess I'll try a couple of games anyway.

Robotguy

Hey guys, finally bought this! I'm super excited to finally check it out. Should I play through the single player before attempting multiplayer or can I jump right into the MP after getting used to the controls in the tutorial? I guess I'll try a couple of games anyway.
Personally I played single player first, but you can probably just jump into multiplayer.
Note that some weapons are unlocked through the single player, so you'll want to play it sooner or later.

J@hranimo

Banned
Anybody still use the Inkbrush? Hardly ever see anyone use it in S-rank (and by hardly i mean nobody). If you like the Nzap 89 like me it's not a bad replacement.

Ah the inkbrush. In solo I NEVER use it, but in quad squads with some of SplatGAF I've used the inkbrush nouveau it in Tower Control with some success. It's really good at laying ink and keeping turf control and if you try hard enough, you can ninja flank people nicely. Plus it's one of the quickest weapons to build bubbler for and pass it on to your team if needed! I hope the inkbrushes get buffed soon, they deserve it.

This art! So good. Looks like I'll have to change my avatar to the Hero Shot Replica inkling :p

edit: Also I want to post my recent build for the Rapid Blaster Pro Deco.

WVW69iyWaWYGLiEA9X

As far as ranked goes, it can be very potent when you figure out your optimal spacing and vantage points. I still want to get a bomb range up gear with triple damage up so I can lob disruptors farther away, but for now I'll settle with this! I doubt these weapons will ever make a dent in competitive Splatoon but hey, I like it.

Is there actually a way of LEAVING a lobby once it is searching for players? Call me stupid if there is but i have pressed pretty much every button under the sun and nothing happens, it just waits there until enough people are available for a match (which took like 4 minutes yesterday and i wanted to just quit)

Fireblend

Banned
So this game is pretty good. I ended up playing til 3am or something, and now I'm sleepy as hell at work lol. I was surprised at how much I could contribute with my default loadout before level 4; I ended up getting the most points in the end, and when I was able to purchase stuff I wasn't sure if I was more addicted to the battling or squid fashion. Good stuff.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Is there actually a way of LEAVING a lobby once it is searching for players? Call me stupid if there is but i have pressed pretty much every button under the sun and nothing happens, it just waits there until enough people are available for a match (which took like 4 minutes yesterday and i wanted to just quit)

• pull the wii u plug out of the wall
  • hit the circuit breaker in your basement
  • take a saw to the power/telephone pole outside
those are the options nintendo has given you.

Pokemaniac

• pull the wii u plug out of the wall
  • hit the circuit breaker in your basement
  • take a saw to the power/telephone pole outside
those are the options nintendo has given you.

The ability to do a hard shut down by holding down the power button was added in a firmware update.

Nico_D

Got my smurf to S. Not sure if I'm continuing it. Took 46 hrs of Ranked to get too. Almost exclusively with chargers - first with a splat charger since didn't have the money or the level. Then Splatterscope, Kelp Splatterscope and E-Liter. Switched between the latter two depending on the mode and on the map. Until A+ I played all the maps and all the modes which is probably why I got stuck in A for so long. C ranks were really fun and weird. B went by without recollections and so did A-. Then in A I got hindered by multiple dc's by my team members and matchmaking which kept putting me 7 times in row together with two or three no-good chargers.

Only A 50 to A+ 30 was done with .96 Deco when I got (salty) tired of expecting team support in the A lobbies.

Ll4pm5i.jpg

Chargers didn't appear until in A ranks. Before that there rarely were any against me.

Also, my opinion is after doing it again, that Ranked may measure some skill but it also has got a huge luck aspect to it. Because of that, I'm not sure yet if I continue forward. I don't feel like it.

Thanks to Goya for pointing me the obvious! Splat Zones.

J@hranimo

Banned
Got my smurf to S. Not sure if I'm continuing it. Took 46 hrs of Ranked to get too. Almost exclusively with chargers - first with a splat charger since didn't have the money or the level. Then Splatterscope, Kelp Splatterscope and E-Liter. Switched between the latter two depending on the mode and on the map. Until A+ I played all the maps and all the modes which is probably why I got stuck in A for so long. C ranks were really fun and weird. B went by without recollections and so did A-. Then in A I got hindered by multiple dc's by my team members and matchmaking which kept putting me 7 times in row together with two or three no-good chargers.

Only A 50 to A+ 30 was done with .96 Deco when I got (salty) tired of expecting team support in the A lobbies.

Ll4pm5i.jpg

Chargers didn't appear until in A ranks. Before that there rarely were any against me.

Also, my opinion is after doing it again, that Ranked may measure some skill but it also has got a huge luck aspect to it. Because of that, I'm not sure yet if I continue forward. I don't feel like it.

Thanks to Goya for pointing me the obvious! Splat Zones.

image.php

Nice! Now you have two accts at S rank :p

Fireblend

Banned
Hey guys, feel free to add me, I don't have many Wii U friends and those I have don't play this afaik. My NNID is Fireblend, same as here.

More then 26000 Retweets and 33000 Likes for the weapon artwork on the japanese twitter.
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/687817151311302656?lang=en

1,509 Retweets and 2,894 Likes on nintendo america twitter
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/687816983539281920

6,880 notes on Splatoon tumblr
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/137318620309/we-should-also-mention-that-this-is-the-last-of#notes

That love for Splatoon art is nice to see
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The new Splatoon art is apparently on LINE in japan too
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/687915804143190016?lang=en

also new tourney for school children in japan? with T shirts as prizes?
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/687887292665434112?lang=en

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Splatoon |OT5| Squids Together, Kids Forever!

I thought most of the regulars here had agreed to the following:
Splatoon |OT5| Discord Peek Advantage.
With that said though, I like this proposition as well, as it's a little less meta. :p

Ranked definitely tests skills in the things like S/S+ quad squads, but the rank itself isn't necessarily a measure of this skill, especially in Solo Queue. With that said, the only true variable you can control is yourself, so you can only really strive to improve your own play. Glad you got there in the end. :)

Fireblend

Banned
I'm surprised at the level 10 requirement to unlock ranked play, that's a lot of battles! I've been playing a while (I've also been doing single player, but I've played online plenty too) and am level 7. How many hours does it take to get to level 20+? Seems to me like it takes some serious dedication.

Jintor

matches are like popcorn tho. I can go in, tool around for 10 minutes and then go back and go do something else.

...if only I could skip the squid news if i've already seen it for this cycle tho :(

I'm surprised at the level 10 requirement to unlock ranked play, that's a lot of battles! I've been playing a while (I've also been doing single player, but I've played online plenty too) and am level 7. How many hours does it take to get to level 20+? Seems to me like it takes some serious dedication.

The leveling system for lv20+ is completely different than sub lv20. It takes much longer to reach the next level comparatively. So close to being lv50 right now. I want that damn hat.

Nico_D

Ranked definitely tests skills in the things like S/S+ quad squads, but the rank itself isn't necessarily a measure of this skill, especially in Solo Queue. With that said, the only true variable you can control is yourself, so you can only really strive to improve your own play. Glad you got there in the end. :)

All true. We all know the exceptional S+ squads we run into while squadding.

Problem is that if you put now matter how skilled random four people together, it might not work well if their playstyles just do not match. It's about synergy and you can't expect to find that in all squads.Some team compositions just work like a dream. That's the way it is, in game and in life.

Def Jukie

I've never leveled up so fast in a splatfest. Annecdotally, team future is getting destroyed. I'm going to be maxed out within an hour at the rate I'm going.

Top Bottom