• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

StAidan

I used my Splatfest winnings to reroll another Octo Nouveau loadout. It... didn't go quite the way I expected, but I think I like it anyway:

xXP7aMM.jpg

Yeah, the Sun Visor and the shoes (don't remember the name) are BOTH TENTATEK. So I was expecting triple Ink Recovery on both, not Bomb Range Up.

Even so, this might have turned out even better than I planned. I took the loadout into this morning's Rainmaker rotation, and I can't stress enough how much the Bomb Range Up made a difference in how effective my splat bombs were -- especially in the long corridors of Port Mackerel. There were a couple occasions where I was able to keep an enemy Inkzooka at bay, and I got a number of kills simply because of enemies not realizing they were within bomb range.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Good lord this. I've been espousing it a lot in the Discord for the past two splatfests in particular that there are two really easy things Nintendo could feasibly do to make Splatfests so much better, especially as it pertains to voting in the NA 'fests:

1. Eliminate the difference in snails between winning and losing teams. Alternatively I really like the suggestion of small snail bonuses for popularity and win rate independently. Right now there's a marked incentive to purposefully game the system and pick the "winning" team, leading players to select via strategy rather than their actual preference...which defeats half the point of even having the splatfests in the first place. As it stands right now, intentionally picking the less popular team not only gets you more snails, but it likely means you'll be matched up against worse opposing teams, meaning easier wins and much faster advancement through the ranks. You get more snails and you get them with less of a time investment, that's just broken.

2. Reduce the amount of points to jump from champion to king/queen, perhaps down to 75 instead of 99. Not only does this make it easier for more people to get more snails, but from a mental standpoint lessening the "grind" mentality eases some frustration and may actually encourage more play in the long run. Particularly for people right now who happen to wind up on the "losing" team, the time it takes to make it up to the top rank, knowing all the while that you're already guaranteed the lower-tier of snail rewards just turns the whole event into a death-march rather than a celebration of what's supposed to make the game fun. Right now by the time you reach the end, it seems like most people can't put an end to their splatfest games fast enough and that's just disappointing.

The fact that people have to talk about "strategy" in picking out the "right" splatfest team is proof in and of itself that the system we have currently isn't working the way the developers intended it to.

I usually stop once I hit champion and rarely grind all the way to king because I'm just so worn out by that point. It takes about an hour and a half to get to champion and it's another two hours to go up that last level — it's stupid. I'd definitely prefer that they reduce the XP from 99.

They probably could reduce or eliminate the difference in snails between the winning and losing teams, too. People are still going to be competitive — by and large, no one wants to start up games of Splatoon and just sit there not trying — so I don't think the extra snail bonus is as necessary to foster competition as the developers seem to think it is.

SM239

All I want for Splatfests is a built in/in game way of making "Splatfest Squads." As it is right now some of us time our Splatfest game searches using a world clock. This gives us a chance of being on the same squad and it usually places two of us together. When you get that SplatGAF Splatfest quad squad tho. 👌👌👌 The best. 👌👌👌

I don't know if this is old but nevertheless. Saw this guy with a Splish hiding where my ink is in the image. He had painted practically the whole wall and was hanging very low. Anyone else seen this? Could you take the Rainmaker down there?

VryfHX9.jpg

Yeah I've seen this used a few times. Back when Azure used brush he would sometimes hide down there. I'm sure you could take the RM down there which could be used for a stall, but if you get killed it would just place the RM back on the ledge above.

Regiruler

All I want for Splatfests is a built in/in game way of making "Splatfest Squads." As it is right now some of us time our Splatfest game searches using a world clock. This gives us a chance of being on the same squad and it usually places two of us together. When you get that SplatGAF Splatfest quad squad tho. 👌👌👌 The best. 👌👌👌

Yeah I've seen this used a few times. Back when Azure used brush he would sometimes hide down there. I'm sure you could take the RM down there which could be used for a stall, but if you get killed it would just place the RM back on the ledge above.

Sound like a bunch of cowards.

J@hranimo

Banned
I don't know if this is old but nevertheless. Saw this guy with a Splish hiding where my ink is in the image. He had painted practically the whole wall and was hanging very low. Anyone else seen this? Could you take the Rainmaker down there?

VryfHX9.jpg

Oh I've seen this done before, more so on the other side with grated walkway for super sneaky efficiency.

Sound like a bunch of cowards fun.

Fixed lol...because god forbid anyone try to grind together for fun.

I used my Splatfest winnings to reroll another Octo Nouveau loadout. It... didn't go quite the way I expected, but I think I like it anyway:

Yeah, the Sun Visor and the shoes (don't remember the name) are BOTH TENTATEK. So I was expecting triple Ink Recovery on both, not Bomb Range Up.

Even so, this might have turned out even better than I planned. I took the loadout into this morning's Rainmaker rotation, and I can't stress enough how much the Bomb Range Up made a difference in how effective my splat bombs were -- especially in the long corridors of Port Mackerel. There were a couple occasions where I was able to keep an enemy Inkzooka at bay, and I got a number of kills simply because of enemies not realizing they were within bomb range.
Wow, that's like, enough range to hit 90% of all the sniper perches with the splat bomb,

Doorman

For random kicks once, I made a roller build that had like 30-33 points of bomb range up. It's fun to be able to hurl suction bombs halfway across Flounder Heights. Nice for catching scoped snipers unawares, actually.
All I want for Splatfests is a built in/in game way of making "Splatfest Squads." As it is right now some of us time our Splatfest game searches using a world clock. This gives us a chance of being on the same squad and it usually places two of us together. When you get that SplatGAF Splatfest quad though[...]
Thing is, stuff like this happening is precisely why Nintendo doesn't want to implement splatfest squads. Splatfests are meant for everyone to play, so how do you match teams then? A coordinated squad would stomp most teams of random kids, so you'd have to do squad vs. squad? That would harm matchmaking on all sides. The crap-shoot currently isn't ideal but I at least understand the reasoning for the way that's set up now. I'm less sure of their thought process for the long grind and imbalanced scoring system.

SM239

For random kicks once, I made a roller build that had like 30-33 points of bomb range up. It's fun to be able to hurl suction bombs halfway across Flounder Heights. Nice for catching scoped snipers unawares, actually.

Thing is, stuff like this happening is precisely why Nintendo doesn't want to implement splatfest squads. Splatfests are meant for everyone to play, so how do you match teams then? A coordinated squad would stomp most teams of random kids, so you'd have to do squad vs. squad? That would harm matchmaking on all sides. The crap-shoot currently isn't ideal but I at least understand the reasoning for the way that's set up now. I'm less sure of their thought process for the long grind and imbalanced scoring system.

That does make sense. Though as it is right now one strong player and one above average player is still enough to stomp over 90% of random teams. Just saying that Splatfest lacking any play with friends options makes it a lot less fun than regular turf war. As for scoring I feel that x4 for wins was good though dropping that to x3 would be fine too. In the end whatever the multiplier may be people will still get salty. (See Cats vs Dogs)

ChrisD

Let's play a fun game. Who plays like a B- rank, goes 1/12 as a 96 Deco, and never uses Wall?

My solo-queue S+ rank partner. :^)

Fireblend

Banned
So guys, is there a good equipment/build guide I can read as a new player to figure out how I'm supposed to use my Super Sea Snails? Should I wait to get higher-level equipment to use them on that?

Doorman

You lied. That wasn't a fun game at all!
Neither was ChrisD's, by the sound of it.

That does make sense. Though as it is right now one strong player and one above average player is still enough to stomp over 90% of random teams. Just saying that Splatfest lacking any play with friends options makes it a lot less fun than regular turf war. As for scoring I feel that x4 for wins was good though dropping that to x3 would be fine too. In the end whatever the multiplier may be people will still get salty. (See Cats vs Dogs)
All quite true. It's really a tricky situation, since playing with friends does indeed make the individual rounds more fun, but also does kind of inadvertently raise the competitive level of things. I suppose this wouldn't be as big of an issue if they also removed the snail-difference for winning and losing since at least then the community wouldn't all be picking one side to totally outweigh things.

x4 is definitely the most sensible option for the current scoring system, in the NA territory anyway. No matter what, people will bitch about who wins and loses and however they choose to determine it, so long as those wins and losses have in-game consequences.

ChrisD

You lied. That wasn't a fun game at all!

I'm sorry I broke the expectations of a fun game.
Just like they broke my expectations of what the average 96D plays like.

And now I just got sniped through like, four solid wall/corners by an E-Liter? What? I just went into Recon just to make double-sure this wasn't possible... Images of where they were, and where I died:

They were here.

I was here.

And here's a mock-up of what the map would look like, just to further show why I'm completely lost.

We still won, but like... how does that even happen? I didn't even go into the middle section.

ChrisD

I thought my game was just acting up. I was stuck in a four minute "Searching for a Lobby" screen. And holding Power on the GamePad did nothing but freeze the screen. Had to unplug the whole console and just left it be.

Man, that was a great grinding rotation, too. This equipment will never get maxed out.

StAidan

Triple bomb range, twice‽ Wow.

Yeah, no one was more surprised than I was, lol. I very momentarily thought about rerolling again to get what I originally intended, but as it turned out I was really happy with the results in actual gameplay.

noshten

Splatoon(スプラトゥーン)
[おしらせ]明日1月20日「更新データ(Ver.2.5.0)」を配信いたします。配信に伴い午前9時50分〜11時頃の間、サーバーメンテナンスのため、サービスをご利用いただけません。今回の更新は、主に不具合の修正に伴う更新となります。

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/689239555975692289?lang=en

Ver 2.5.0 incoming

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Splatoon(スプラトゥーン)
[おしらせ]明日1月20日「更新データ(Ver.2.5.0)」を配信いたします。配信に伴い午前9時50分〜11時頃の間、サーバーメンテナンスのため、サービスをご利用いただけません。今回の更新は、主に不具合の修正に伴う更新となります。

Ver 2.5.0 incoming

Bing translation said:
Tomorrow [announcement] 1/20 see updated data (Ver.2.5.0) will be delivered. Due to the delivery 9:50-during the 11: 00 service unavailable due to server maintenance. This update will update with bug fixes mostly.

dem tasty bug fixes

Forgive my frustration but it probably comes from still being a newer player. I just lost 6 of the 8 games I've played to tonight. Half of the time at least one or two players were either afk, or in the case of one girl who I suspect was a child might as well have been (she stood the the map with the gears and kept painting them the whole match as they rotated).

I'm still not 100% used to the controls, but I think it's really weird that a level 12 is topping his team in a game full of people 25 and over.

Just trying to get this off my chest. Maybe there are tons of posts like this in the OT.

Splatoon(スプラトゥーン)

Ver 2.5.0 incoming

Bug fixes? Ugh. I was hoping it'd have changes to Piranha Pit Rainmaker. That stage is hot garbage during that mode.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm sorry I broke the expectations of a fun game.
Just like they broke my expectations of what the average 96D plays like.

And now I just got sniped through like, four solid wall/corners by an E-Liter? What? I just went into Recon just to make double-sure this wasn't possible... Images of where they were, and where I died:

They were here.

I was here.

And here's a mock-up of what the map would look like, just to further show why I'm completely lost.

We still won, but like... how does that even happen? I didn't even go into the middle section.

ChrisD has the worst luck in this game I swear.

That godlike Hail Mary loadout. Imagine if you have my Traditional Apron with 3 bomb range up subs. I'm sure you'd be able to to toss a splat bomb from one perch to the other on Saltspray Rig.

Regiruler

More like people who find it more fun to play together than grind out another Splatfest alone.

Then what challenge is left, you're going to destroy the pubs.
Bug fixes? Ugh. I was hoping it'd have changes to Piranha Pit Rainmaker. That stage is hot garbage during that mode.

That reminds me that I haven't had the opportunity to play in that combination yet.

Ethernet is coming wednesday as my school's wifi is unbearable. Got a cable cover to go with it as the ethernet port is on the other side of the room.
For Past v Future I actually had to take my console to my major's lounge on saturday for a better connection.

SM239

Then what challenge is left, you're going to destroy the pubs.

There is no challenge in the first place. It's just a boring solo grind for 2 and a half hours to King/Queen. I would rather go through Splatfest with friends. I even played through a lot of extra games after getting King cause it was more enjoyable to actually play.

ss-hikaru

Splatfest is boring when you're grinding to King/Queen for the 10th time. Who wouldn't prefer to play with their friends during Splatfest? This last contest was my first time doing it and it actually made Splatfest fun again.

But that feeling when you get a team you totally click with and you're nice-ing each other and got the whole camaraderie thing going on is DA BEST
I have no JP friends so can't play splatfest with friends anyway, such a loner lol

Forgive my frustration but it probably comes from still being a newer player. I just lost 6 of the 8 games I've played to tonight. Half of the time at least one or two players were either afk, or in the case of one girl who I suspect was a child might as well have been (she stood the the map with the gears and kept painting them the whole match as they rotated).

I'm still not 100% used to the controls, but I think it's really weird that a level 12 is topping his team in a game full of people 25 and over.

Just trying to get this off my chest. Maybe there are tons of posts like this in the OT.

Is this turf? A lot of people try out new weapons in turf or let their kids play because it won't hurt their rank. I haven't really come across many people being afk in turf or ranked though, so you might just've been unlucky that one time :(

totowhoa

Banned
BURST BOMB HOLY FUCK aka the most relevant explanation about why Burst Bombs are da bess mane.
I'd actually love to see this but you borked the url :) I get beat up by them sometimes but they've never been on a gun ive gotten into. I liked them ok with chargers, but I mostly use shooters.

Been wanting to try new things out. not sure if anything will ever top the splat bombs for me though.

That reminds me that I haven't had the opportunity to play in that combination yet.

Doooooooon't!

It's insanely stupid how badly they fucked up that map for that mode. The spawns have been moved to the left side of the "sniper tower" so there is no cover whatsoever. If you get spawn camped, it's GG as you have no real viable way of getting out in an efficient manner. The goal position is the where the shit gets absolutely oozy though. They're on the little islands at the opposite ends of the map, which means that if the team is pushing toward your goal, you have to chase them thanks to the stupid spawn location.

Rainmaker works because the goal is right in the path out from your spawn so that if the enemy team is pushing they have to confront the opponent team head on as they respawn only 10 feet away in order to close the game. In Pit there is NOTHING blocking them from getting to the goal AND it puts the defending team in a disadvantaged position to pursue.

But honestly there's so much wasted space on Pit in the other modes as is that it needs an overhaul so massive that it'd make Underpass blush.

But that feeling when you get a team you totally click with and you're nice-ing each other and got the whole camaraderie thing going on is DA BEST
I have no JP friends so can't play splatfest with friends anyway, such a loner lol

Is this turf? A lot of people try out new weapons in turf or let their kids play because it won't hurt their rank. I haven't really come across many people being afk in turf or ranked though, so you might just've been unlucky that one time :(

Yeah it was turf. Oh well, had some good experiences afterwards on ranked with my current favorite : the 52 Gal.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

There are. Lots of players suck. You just gotta back out from a bad group after losing and hope the next group is better.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'd actually love to see this but you borked the url :) I get beat up by them sometimes but they've never been on a gun ive gotten into. I liked them ok with chargers, but I mostly use shooters.

Been wanting to try new things out. not sure if anything will ever top the splat bombs for me though.

That's not how you url lol

My bad guys, I pasted the title from discord instead of the link because I posted it there first :p. It's fixed, worthy of a read.

My bad guys, I pasted the title from discord instead of the link because I posted it there first :p. It's fixed, worthy of a read.

Burst Bombs are pretty great.

Something that never gets mentioned about Splat Bombs for some reason is that you can ricochet them a good distance into corridors without ever walking in front of them and making yourself vulnerable or even visible, which is pretty excellent. I've splatted a ton of people that way.

Kito

I don't think Burst Bomb need be nerfed. Just take it away from the E-liter or reverse the E-liter's sub/special (so Point Sensor / Burst Bomb Rush instead). If neither is possible, then yeah nerf them.

Nico_D

Let me elaborate.

There are few maps where I think E-Liter should be able to take care of themselves without using any Burst Bombs. In those maps if I let someone so close that I have to use Burst Bumbs, it's my own damn fault and E-Liter should be taken away from me. But there aren't many maps like that: maybe Moray, Museum, Mahi Mahi (maybe) and Arowana.

The rest have so many alternative routes that everybody can get to back anytime to want to and surprise me. Like Kelp. Port if they play at least decently even though those corridors look scary with the laser flashing there. Most of the maps are like this. Even Arowana in others mode than Turf since enemy can get to our side by bridge which isn't there in Turf - and if I'm on the perch, I can't even see that happening.

Biggest problem is that people telegraph their coming. They make so much noise, spray so much ink, that I see them coming from mile away and I can get ready. Fill my tank, move to a better position and ready the burst bombs and wait. Sometimes I get them, sometimes I get trade.

You have to remember that E-Liter eats through ink like hell. If I take one shot, I have enough ink for 2 Burst Bombs. Miss one of those, I'm dead. If I've taken TWO shots, I have one BB left.

Just something to strategize about.

As much as many hate BB's with E-Liters, they aren't means to an end some make them bto e. I think they are quite good in E-Liters arsenal considering how some - most! - maps are built.

DaBoss

That's the problem I see with the Splattershot/Hero Shot. People always focus on the burst bombs when they have the best all round gun in the game. Tentateks/Octoshots don't get most of their kills with suctions or inkzooka, they get them with the actual gun itself.

I know those images are those types you aren supposed to take seriously, but it just makes this idea that the gun should be used less more apparent.
I told y'all that normal splatter was good but nobody ever listens.
When did you say that? And there are a bunch of Splattershot mains on SplatGAF.

Regiruler

That's the problem I see with the Splattershot/Hero Shot. People always focus on the burst bombs when they have the best all round gun in the game. Tentateks/Octoshots don't get most of their kills with suctions or inkzooka, they get them with the actual gun itself.

I know those images are those types you aren supposed to take seriously, but it just makes this idea that the gun should be used less more apparent.

When did you say that? And there are a bunch of Splattershot mains on SplatGAF.
It was a joke, albeit a poorly constructed one.

Top Bottom