• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

phanphare

Banned
yeah I main the splattershot

this is my gear for it

FzLs0SH.jpg

sometimes I'll switch the headband for the hero headset which has a run speed up main and I've got two sub weapon ink savers and one defense up

Nico_D

this is my gear for it

More def ups could help if you're partial to that, I don't see three subs taking you very far. Maybe Cyan Trainers with dmg up and bias to swim speed? Unless you feel tjat you really, really need ink resistance. By taking on Cyan Trainers, you could take for example more swim speed to your head gear - or defense.

But hell do I know, I don't use Splattershots.

phanphare

Banned
More def ups could help if you're partial to that, I don't see three subs taking you very far. Maybe Cyan Trainers with dmg up and bias to swim speed? Unless you feel tjat you really, really need ink resistance. By taking on Cyan Trainers, you could take for example more swim speed to your head gear - or defense.

But hell do I know, I don't use Splattershots.

nice thanks

I need to take some time and mess around with different gear set ups. I've basically got two different set ups for using the splattershot and heavy splatling and that's it.

Geg

Yeah defense up is one of those abilities where you kind of have to go hard if you're going to use it; 3 subs by themselves don't do much. They'll help sightly reduce splash damage from blasters and maybe screw up chargers in some situations, but as far as shooters go that's only enough to turn the .52 gal into a 3 shot kill. I don't even think 3 subs is enough to turn Splattershots into 4 shot kills.

That reminds me that after last night I finally have most of my gear where I want it aside from a couple of subs that I'll hopefully get fixed eventually. I'll post about them once I get home and can screenshot my Inkling in them

phanphare

Banned
yeah my thinking with the defense up was that it's enough to help out a bit if I'm trying to quickly retreat. that coupled with the ink resistance allows me to nope out of bad situations. I don't really want to go hard with defense up because I don't want to give up any of the other abilities that I have. the one that I could maybe do without is ink recovery up.

Rize_21

I'll never be a gun user, but joining the burst bombs club is definitely a good thing to do, still wishing a competitive dynamo set was made around it somehow, that'd be a cool finisher/ wall destroyer tool, just my 2 cents but I feel that both dynamos set are seriously outdated.

LWNUspM.jpg

^ I need that cap with triple bomb range up sub !

ffdgh

Outdated? Silver dynamo entire existance is Flick out constant echos while also getting free ink refils. Gold dynamo if for great bank shotters lol.

Flicking waves of long range death never goes out of style :p

phanphare

Banned
Neo Silver Dynamo with Burst bomb and Burst bomb rush
Neo Gold Dynamo with Disruptors and killer wail

::shudders::

also burst bomb rush is one of the specials that you can still use your main weapon during so they could mix in flicks with bomb throws while it was activated

J@hranimo

Banned
All this burst bomb discussion makes me :D

...but then this idea of burst bombs on the Dynamo makes me >:O

That's the problem I see with the Splattershot/Hero Shot. People always focus on the burst bombs when they have the best all round gun in the game. Tentateks/Octoshots don't get most of their kills with suctions or inkzooka, they get them with the actual gun itself.

I know those images are those types you aren supposed to take seriously, but it just makes this idea that the gun should be used less more apparent.

When did you say that? And there are a bunch of Splattershot mains on SplatGAF.

Yeah in all seriousness I do see this a bit as well. Burst bombs complement the gun very well as they are the most dynamic with bomb range up and damage up in general. Vast majority of my kills are from the gun itself, so if people are just focusing on the burst bombs then they are doing it wrong.

yeah I main the splattershot

this is my gear for it

FzLs0SH.jpg

sometimes I'll switch the headband for the hero headset which has a run speed up main and I've got two sub weapon ink savers and one defense up

My man phanphare. Still going strong since the early days. I do agree with Geg with the defense up, you gotta go hard with it to make a difference against multiple weapons. I did try using two defense up mains along with run speed up and one damage up main:

WVW69ifXZl0LrgIDM9

...but it left more to be desired. I'd say slap on some more damage up to make the burst bombs more so 2HKOs when throwing them.

phanphare

Banned
yeah I think I'll mess around with different stuff this weekend, I've still got some snails left over from the past couple of splatfests

Regiruler

I'm probably going to spend the PvF snails on slot completion. I feel like I'm not far away from 100%, but there's probably a bunch of 1star gear in the back pages I haven't touched, hiding from me.

ffdgh

I'm probably going to spend the PvF snails on slot completion. I feel like I'm not far away from 100%, but there's probably a bunch of 1star gear in the back pages I haven't touched, hiding from me.

It'd take me having 241 snails(or 7,230,000 bucks) to unlock all the slots...That ain't happening >_>

Geg

yeah my thinking with the defense up was that it's enough to help out a bit if I'm trying to quickly retreat. that coupled with the ink resistance allows me to nope out of bad situations. I don't really want to go hard with defense up because I don't want to give up any of the other abilities that I have. the one that I could maybe do without is ink recovery up.

Yeah on my defense up gear I take a hit in both run and swim speed completely give up my ink saver main. It's really noticeable on the dual squelcher and I keep finding myself running out of ink too quickly

Rize_21

Outdated? Silver dynamo entire existance is Flick out constant echos while also getting free ink refils. Gold dynamo if for great bank shotters lol.

Flicking waves of long range death never goes out of style :p

hahaha! yeah, but the downside of throwing ink everywhere is that it constantly feeds tons of special for the other team, who in return, just killer wails the squid out of our charger, when it's not an artistic combination of 3 or 4 killer wails at the same time!
What I meant by outdated, is that in the current meta, it's really hard to be on par with the rest of our team, like in a quad squad, where it's usual to face a bunch of krakens/ 96 gals with krakens and walls because why not/ bubblers/ chargers on point with their aim, we have like 0 option against it, and I find it truly frustating in the long run, plus sprinklers aren't affected by the bomb range up skill, which would be a game changer in my opinion. :/

We need a Skalop© Dynamo that inspires pure sentiments of doom when it pops :p. Burst bomb x Bubbler, Nintendo... you know what you have to do, it won't break the game, not at all.

ffdgh

hahaha! yeah, but the downside of throwing ink everywhere is that it constantly feeds tons of special for the other team, who in return, just killer wails the squid out of our charger, when it's not an artistic combination of 3 or 4 killer wails at the same time!
What I meant by outdated, is that in the current meta, it's really hard to be on par with the rest of our team, like in a quad squad, where it's usual to face a bunch of krakens/ 96 gals with krakens and walls because why not/ bubblers/ chargers on point with their aim, we have like 0 option against it, and I find it truly frustating in the long run, plus sprinklers aren't affected by the bomb range up skill, which would be a game changer in my opinion. :/

We need a Skalop© Dynamo that inspires pure sentiments of doom when it pops :p. Burst bomb x Bubbler, Nintendo... you know what you have to do, it won't break the game, not at all.

And that's where your team comes in to cover the dynamo's flaws...in the outcome anyway lol. Quick respawn/super jump dynamo still gets the job done too.
It's good that sprinklers aren't affected by bomb range up. That'd lead to some obnoxious tactics like impossible to hit/reach sprinkler placements.

KooopaKid

Banned
What's going on with this game lag since the server maintenance?
It has never been this bad before. Very frustrating at high level.
BTW, how does it compare to other online competitive FPS?
Is it expected for online deathmatch? Mario Kart 8 never had any problems.

Burnburn

Do you splattershots not know about our lord and saviour bomb range up?

PgBmBi6.png

Tbh, I see one damage up main or 3 subs as way too little. Especially with everyone running defense up nowadays.

That's the problem I see with the Splattershot/Hero Shot. People always focus on the burst bombs when they have the best all round gun in the game. Tentateks/Octoshots don't get most of their kills with suctions or inkzooka, they get them with the actual gun itself.

The reason I use burst bombs so much is because my aim sucks and I have a lot of trouble going in. Tentateks dohave a great advantage against walls, where one bomb can almost take one wall out, while with burst bombs it takes like 3-4.

Doorman

Burst bombs don't need a nerf, certainly. The only weapon they ever feel particularly cheap against would be E-Liters, and in that case it's only because of the chargers' tendency to stack a bunch of damage up for partial charges makes their splash damage so much more effective. It's irritating, but not broken or impassable, and in a game with this many weapon and sub options there's bound to be some setups that just naturally synergize better than others.

I have always found it a bit interesting that the Tentatek/Octoshot is so popular but the OG Splattershot feels more like an afterthought. I like it as a main weapon setup aside from the fact that the burst bomb rush feels kind of weak as a special compared to others. It has its few uses but I feel like it doesn't really have a role that isn't more aptly handled by most other specials. Wails and Inkstrikes are better for quickly vacating enemies from a spot, the other bomb rushes are more effective at reclaiming an area with ink (provided you don't get popped by an enemy mid-rush), and assuming you can aim an inkzooka provides better instant-offense.

J@hranimo

Banned
Do you splattershots not know about our lord and saviour bomb range up?

PgBmBi6.png

Tbh, I see one damage up main or 3 subs as way too little. Especially with everyone running defense up nowadays.

The reason I use burst bombs so much is because my aim sucks and I have a lot of trouble going in. Tentateks dohave a great advantage against walls, where one bomb can almost take one wall out, while with burst bombs it takes like 3-4.

Yeah burnburn, that's actually a really old loadout I was trying. I need more damage up for my bomb range up, plus I've been dabbling in several other weapons. Hero Shot is still up there though.

Burst bombs don't need a nerf, certainly. The only weapon they ever feel particularly cheap against would be E-Liters, and in that case it's only because of the chargers' tendency to stack a bunch of damage up for partial charges makes their splash damage so much more effective. It's irritating, but not broken or impassable, and in a game with this many weapon and sub options there's bound to be some setups that just naturally synergize better than others.

I have always found it a bit interesting that the Tentatek/Octoshot is so popular but the OG Splattershot feels more like an afterthought. I like it as a main weapon setup aside from the fact that the burst bomb rush feels kind of weak as a special compared to others. It has its few uses but I feel like it doesn't really have a role that isn't more aptly handled by most other specials. Wails and Inkstrikes are better for quickly vacating enemies from a spot, the other bomb rushes are more effective at reclaiming an area with ink (provided you don't get popped by an enemy mid-rush), and assuming you can aim an inkzooka provides better instant-offense.

It's for absolute pressure from afar. Also it's the quickest bomb rush since they just burst on anything compared to either having to go bowling with splat bomb rush, being crazy with the suction bomb rush, or hoping to god no one can jump over all of the seekers in the seeker rush.

Regiruler

It'd take me having 241 snails(or 7,230,000 bucks) to unlock all the slots...That ain't happening >_>

I only use 1 set of gear for ranked, so as an upside I don't find the need to reroll as often.

That said, they made sure that 100% completion took a long-ass time.

Burst rush is deceptively difficult to avoid because of hitstun.

That said, your comment has merit, as the tentakek has a very similar setup to the alpha loadout of splattershot, splat bomb, and inkzooka.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm in on the burst bomb love, but I don't see how y'all justify taking bomb rush over kraken.

My "new" favorite kraken technique is bomb swallowing. It occurred to me spontaneously when a splat bomb landed next to a teammate and I dove on it like skinny Steve Rogers. Now I'm gobbling up entire bomb rushes. Seeker rushes are like playing Breakout.

ss-hikaru

It's kinda cute seeing some avatars change to the official splatoon art of (presumably) the user's main :p Also DC_Alba's avatar is awesome.

Excited for JP splatfest this weekend! I missed the last two. I've decided to wear glasses as headgear for the whole thing heheh.

Geg

Okay here's my big dumb post about my gear setups that's mostly just for me to get my thoughts straight about how I want to use them. I forgot that gaf hides spoilers behind black bars instead of a drop down box like most forums so oh well you'll just have to deal with the wall of images and text.

Speed set said:
This is my standard gear setup for turf war now, with an equally large boost in both swim and run speed. Swim speed is to better position myself and keep my range, while run speed is to help keep up with the speed of shorter range weapons in shootouts. Ink saver main is just there to give an extra second and a half of fire duration to the DS.

Defense set said:
Gear mostly for maps where movement speed isn't as important or I feel like I'm there's going to be a lot of charger or blaster fire. Also useful for riding the tower in Tower Control. The main drawback isn't the reduced speed but the lack of ink saver main. I definitely find myself running out of ink often with this. Also I eventually want the third run speed sub in that hat.

[quote="Balanced" set 1]
fVdZDl6.jpg
[/quote]
Slightly more balanced set, with special charge up and quick respawn in exchange for movement speed. I actually would prefer the final slot in those shoes to be run speed instead of it being the pure swim just to boost the amount of run speed to higher than a main's worth. Used with the vanilla DS to help build echolocator.

[quote="Balanced" set 2]
1P04tsc.jpg
[/quote]
Same as the other balanced set but with Comeback in place of special charge up to better suit the custom DS. I honestly don't know how useful Comeback is but I wanted an excuse to wear the Squid Nordic because I like it.

N-ZAP set said:
Just a different pair of shoes to wear whenever I feel like using the N-ZAP, with lower swim speed in favor of run speed and ink resistance.

My main issue now is what to used in ranked modes. Generally I've been using the more balanced sets because I assume I'll be dying a lot more than in turf war and quick respawn will help. But at the same time, maybe part of why I die more often is that my movement is not as fast as it is when I play in turf war? It's hard to say.

@Geg: I feel like it's generally best to focus on 2 or 3 types of perks; focusing only on 1 perk will probably get you demolished by diminishing returns, focusing on 4 or more types of perks will distribute the bonuses too much. The only perks I would go all in on would probably be Swim Speed Up, Run Speed Up, Damage or Defense. Move speed bonuses just for better maneuvering and/or to beat the latency in the game (hopefully), Damage Up if I'm using a loadout that doesn't mind the scaling (such as for Burst Bombs or Rapid Blasters) and Defense usually requires copious stacking in order to see benefits.

With that said, I generally like to stack Special Charge Ups with the DS loadouts, since both have excellent specials that I want to have available often. I feel that the main weapon is fairly balanced overall, whereas the subs are great without requiring much modification to them.

In regards to the perk sets that you have currently...

I feel like Speed Set or Balanced Set 1 would be the sets that I want to go into ranked with if I'm using a DS. Once I got better at managing my ink and range with CJS, I no longer needed Ink Savers to help my ink output, nor did I need Special Charge Ups to make sure I got Kraken. I guess you've gotten to that point as well with the DS loadouts. In which case, the move speed bonuses are going to help the most.

I would actually try Sploosh-O-Matic with Defense Set, Balanced Set 2 or NZap Set and see how that turns out.

If you have any questions about my response or would like for me to elaborate on anything else, please let me know!

It's kinda cute seeing some avatars change to the official splatoon art of (presumably) the user's main :p Also DC_Alba's avatar is awesome.

Excited for JP splatfest this weekend! I missed the last two. I've decided to wear glasses as headgear for the whole thing heheh.
I wish I had more solid shoe options for them splatfests but hey it is what it is :p

Geg

@Geg: I feel like it's generally best to focus on 2 or 3 types of perks; focusing only on 1 perk will probably get you demolished by diminishing returns, focusing on 4 or more types of perks will distribute the bonuses too much. The only perks I would go all in on would probably be Swim Speed Up, Run Speed Up, Damage or Defense. Move speed bonuses just for better maneuvering and/or to beat the latency in the game (hopefully), Damage Up if I'm using a loadout that doesn't mind the scaling (such as for Burst Bombs or Rapid Blasters) and Defense usually requires copious stacking in order to see benefits.

With that said, I generally like to stack Special Charge Ups with the DS loadouts, since both have excellent specials that I want to have available often. I feel that the main weapon is fairly balanced overall, whereas the subs are great without requiring much modification to them.

In regards to the perk sets that you have currently...

I feel like Speed Set or Balanced Set 1 would be the sets that I want to go into ranked with if I'm using a DS. Once I got better at managing my ink and range with CJS, I no longer needed Ink Savers to help my ink output, nor did I need Special Charge Ups to make sure I got Kraken. I guess you've gotten to that point as well with the DS loadouts. In which case, the move speed bonuses are going to help the most.

I would actually try Sploosh-O-Matic with Defense Set, Balanced Set 2 or NZap Set and see how that turns out.

If you have any questions about my response or would like for me to elaborate on anything else, please let me know!
Yeah I noticed for one of your CJS sets you basically just stack almost nothing but swim speed which I assume is for helping your positioning and keeping your range against weapons you can't win against in close quarters. I feel like I always need at least a main's worth of run and swim speed now, it's hard keeping up otherwise. And I don't really feel the need to use special charge up with the CDS considering how easy it is to build killer wail already. Better to use those slots for something else. And I've tried the splish before but can't adjust to that short range lol :( It requires a completely different play style to what I'm used to. Thanks for the response!

I'm probably dumb, but when do Splatfests happen? I just got the game yesterday so I don't know stuff.

They're announced in-game a week before they happen. They used to come every 3 weeks but recently the schedule has been a little more random. The most recent splatfest was just this weekend so there's most likely at least three weeks left until the next one.

noshten

BTW it hasn't been mentioned anywhere but Splatoon is pretty much the best selling exclusive game of 2015. Especially after those Halo numbers came out nothing can really beat it.

Kito

I was thinking what could be a bigger mental drain than RM, and came up with two ranked modes happening simultaneously, like SZ and TC. Madness.

Yeah I noticed for one of your CJS sets you basically just stack almost nothing but swim speed which I assume is for helping your positioning and keeping your range against weapons you can't win against in close quarters. I feel like I always need at least a main's worth of run and swim speed now, it's hard keeping up otherwise. And I don't really feel the need to use special charge up with the CDS considering how easy it is to build killer wail already. Better to use those slots for something else. And I've tried the splish before but can't adjust to that short range lol :( It requires a completely different play style to what I'm used to. Thanks for the response!
Yup, I do have super stacked SSU set :) I feel like the big swim speed boost helps me maneuver around enemies faster, and it also speeds up my Kraken which is invaluable. It also gives me semi-Ink Resistance since I can sometimes swim fast enough over enemy ink to skip over it and not slow down by much. I've tried switching out the shirt for my Squidstar Waistcoat a few times, but then I really feel the lack of speed and cold blooded doesn't help me out much I think. I mainly built this set as a way to help me deal with chargers, but it certainly helps me against other loadouts too.

EulaCapra

Since getting the game since launch, Spyke has come through ZERO times with gear with 3 of the same sub abilities for me.

I hope Splatoon crosses over with Mortal Kombat soon because I wanna uppercut this scumbag's head off.

Top Bottom