• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

What do you get in this event if you lose? Dont care what the winner gets since im on the losing side. This is my first splatfest(not a very good first impression, will most definitely skip the next one if im still playing the game when it comes around)

KraytarJ

What do you get in this event if you lose? Dont care what the winner gets since im on the losing side. This is my first splatfest(not a very good first impression, will most definitely skip the next one if im still playing the game when it comes around)

Everyone who competes get a number of sea snails (for re-rolling upgrade slots on items and adding more to items IIRC). The amount is determined by your rank and which side you're on, winners get more.

Everyone who competes get a number of sea snails (for re-rolling upgrade slots on items and adding more to items IIRC). The amount is determined by your rank and which side you're on, winners get more.
So thats how people get equipment with 3 slots? Ive been using that black market guy and taking 3 slot gear from people in my plaza. Its normally stuff i dont like but im at a disadvantage if i use the stuff i do like since it only has like 1 or 2 perks

SM239

Ended Splatfest with +60.0. Team future was probably the easiest team since team ninja. Just need to wait for those results. Hopefully the rest of the team past pulled their weight.

Also the Custom Hydra is a ton of fun on those splatfest maps. Funny to watch shorter range weapons walk right into your firing range trying to hit you.

Ragnaros

Banned
What's up with the dogshit matchmaking during Splatfest? Is it because I'm playing solo?

I've been losing straight for the past two hours. Every match. I'm level 11 and regularly matched against teams that are all 40-50.

Yeah, don't play during Splatfests. It's awful.

Doorman

So thats how people get equipment with 3 slots? Ive been using that black market guy and taking 3 slot gear from people in my plaza. Its normally stuff i dont like but im at a disadvantage if i use the stuff i do like since it only has like 1 or 2 perks

As you level up, gear with higher star values will start to show up in shops, and once you hit 20 you can add slots and reroll, which is why you tend to see higher level players with gear with triple-subs and so forth. Functionally speaking, for that purpose each snail is worth 30,000 in cash so the difference in getting as many snails as you can becomes pretty significant.

Splatfests, at least in the NA territory, really need some sort of fixing because the way the system is so easily gamed now has become really apparent.

Finished as a Future champion. I could have pretty easily gone for King but I was out and doing other stuff today. Past definitely one as it was the less popular choice.

If I cared to game the system I could always just pick the less popular choice but I prefer to be true to myself. Almost always that is the less popular choice by itself. The developers really fucked up increasing winning to x6.

First time I touched Splatoon in since two Splatfests ago. I forgot about Naughty and Nice and it's the first one I missed. Was caught up in the incredible Xenoblade Chronicles X. Still haven't seen one map.

Sheldon went through a ton of new weapon introductions. Hope they keep doing Splatfests for the rest of the year. Want to max out all my gear slots. Also need to earn a lot more money for gear and weapons.

I was trying to reach Future King but I believe I'm cursed or something: Despite I was 1st place in almost 95% of the matches I played, my teams kept losing. Sometimes, we lost for differences of 1-5%. I don't consider myself a great player but, seriously... there's a limit of things I can do during a match. If I was paired with decent teammates thing's could've gone much much better. Once I reached Future Champion I couldn't win more than a couple of games. It was pretty frustrating I went to sleep and, today I decided to avoid playing Splatoon.

This game can be infuriating at times.

I suppose Team future lost by a very wide margin again.

ffdgh

And to the shock of nobody...
h3l0OVd.jpg

Geg

What's up with the dogshit matchmaking during Splatfest? Is it because I'm playing solo?

I've been losing straight for the past two hours. Every match. I'm level 11 and regularly matched against teams that are all 40-50.

Most regular matchmaking goes out the window during Splatfest. They claimed they improved it some in the latest patch but it seems to give higher priority to just matching opposing teams together rather than making sure they're of a similar skill level.

J@hranimo

Banned
Well I was surprised with the 55-45 split for wins. I thought it would look more like Pirates vs Ninjas. GGs though! Hopefully they fix the themes or something...
they won't

Most regular matchmaking goes out the window during Splatfest. They claimed they improved it some in the latest patch but it seems to give higher priority to just matching opposing teams together rather than making sure they're of a similar skill level.

Turf War never matches based on player level.

Theoretically player level shouldn't matter since it's not a determinant of skill. Someone may be super good at level 10. While someone else may be horrible but plays enough to eventually reach level 50.

It would be nice if they match those below level 25 or so with each other.

I always feel bad when the opposing team has players in the single digits. I don't want to discourage them but they're going to get beaten solidly by default.

ChrisD

For a slight moment I thought "hey from these numbers maybe Future did somehow win?"

Why does popularity even show up when it doesn't freaking matter.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
If wins were still worth 2x points like they were at launch instead of 6x, Future would have won. I'm starting to feel like maybe they shouldn't have changed it... these Splatfests are way too easy to predict now.

Geg

It was fine with the x4 multiplier where it was; x2 gives way too much favor to popularity. x6 is a little overkill, though it hasn't mattered in any NA splatfest so far. All the winning teams would have won even under the x4 multiplier

Def Jukie

What is everyone's strategy when it comes to picking a side anyway? I've just been picking the side that I think will be less popular and have less young kids and it's worked all but one time for me. It's obvious you want to be on the less popular side since each win is weighted higher because there are less chances of being matched up against your own team. Is there a pro community out there picking one particular side for each splatfest?

ChrisD

What is everyone's strategy when it comes to picking a side anyway? I've just been picking the side that I think will be less popular and have less young kids and it's worked all but one time for me. It's obvious you want to be on the less popular side since each win is weighted higher because there are less chances of being matched up against your own team. Is there a pro community out there picking one particular side for each splatfest?

Pick the less popular side because popularity = kids

Edit: so I didn't even read the post past "what is the strategy"

Yeah you hit the nail on the head. That's the only tactic

It was fine with the x4 multiplier where it was; x2 gives way too much favor to popularity. x6 is a little overkill, though it hasn't mattered in any NA splatfest so far. All the winning teams would have won even under the x4 multiplier

That's mainly because so many players have gotten wise to the system that most good players intentionally side with the less popular one so all the inexperienced that pick the side they do like get destroyed. The skill pool has become a quagmire and x6 has made popularity a complete non-factor and waste of time.

Going back to x4 or even x2 would hopefully prompt players to pick the side they actually favor rather than cheating the system. Well, maybe not x2, I'm talking crazy. Wins should still be the primary factor. Maybe a combination of a low multiplier to popularity and a higher multiplier to wins would even it out, like x2 for pop and x4 for wins.

I don't know how much of a change that would make because I don't feel like doing a ton of math at 11:30 PM but as is the Splatfests are just terrible. I honestly do them just for to see the neon ink, night themes, and practice weapons I never use. It's kinda like how I play Mario Kart 8 nowadays for the music and visuals rather than genuine racing.

ChrisD

I'm probably going to quit playing Splatfests all together once I fill all my slots. Pain in the neck to play, matchmaking sucks, you lose all solo queue variety for the whole day due to rotation, the music (while it is stupidly catchy) doesn't change, disconnection errors galore, and 3v4's are more common than they should ever be.

Splatfest is trash. I wanted this one to hurry so I could get Snails, but due to picking the Losing side and still needing loads of slots, I'll have to sit through the grind again at some point.

I feel like they need to award the tallies separately.

2 / 5 / 10 / 20 snails depending on your participation rank, then +2 snails if you were on the most popular team and +2 snails if were on the most dominant team.

For those among us who are crazy enough to do so, every X00 (100, 200, 300, ...) points after reaching max rank gets +1 snail.

ChrisD

I still feel like the matches won multiplier should be x3.

Said the same in the past. Just for NA Fests. We don't all need the same multiplier as Japan.

2 / 5 / 10 / 20 snails depending on your participation rank, then +2 snails if you were on the most popular team and +2 snails if were on the most dominant team.

For those among us who are crazy enough to do so, every X00 (100, 200, 300, ...) points after reaching max rank gets +1 snail.

This would be so much cooler though....

A snail an hour at the very least doesn't sound worth it IMO.

The participation rank, however, is a great idea. At the very least, Splatfest snail distribution probably should've been implemented that way because Splatfest itself is a 3 hour grind at the very least.

Quadratic

I'm thinking about picking this game up. Hoped there would be a drop in price but it's a 1st party Nintendo title so it's stayed at MSRP. How's the community holding up after 1/2 a year? Have there been a lot of newer players because of the holiday WiiU bundle? As a new player will I be taken to lunch by all the seasoned pro's?

DaBoss

Splatfest is just a big joke. They want you to win 37 games of incredibly boring turf war which will always last 3 minutes.

And the pay-off of 24 snails vs 18 snails is a joke. We could probably make more than 180,000 cash through squads in the time it takes to get from champion to king/queen rank.
I'm thinking about picking this game up. Hoped there would be a drop in price but it's a 1st party Nintendo title so it's stayed at MSRP. How's the community holding up after 1/2 a year? Have there been a lot of newer players because of the holiday WiiU bundle? As a new player will I be taken to lunch by all the seasoned pro's?
You'll find a lot of players throughout the day, so it is holding up nicely. Only time there aren't enough players is in ranked mode when there is a Splatfest.

Now I'm confused about how Splatfest works. It said splatfest is on Saturday and Sunday.
How are the results in if it's still Sunday morning in America???

ffdgh

Now I'm confused about how Splatfest works. It said splatfest is on Saturday and Sunday.

Splatfest lasts for 24 hours from 12am Saturday to 12am Sunday eastern time. Results are up at 1am on Sunday.

nom

hmm February 27th is a Saturday - what are the odds Japan gets a Pokemon Red vs Green Splatfest? maybe NA/EU will throw us a bone and give us Red vs Blue.

It was from Friday to Saturday.
This makes no sense as there wasn't a splatfest on Friday 11pm est :c

Splatfest lasts for 24 hours from 12am Saturday to 12am Sunday eastern time. Results are up at 1am on Sunday.
This makes more sense, but then it's misleading information because 24 hours isn't two days :1

Glad I woke up early to grind up to Future Queen. Took five hours because of the amount of losses I've experienced.

Splatfest is just a big joke. They want you to win 37 games of incredibly boring turf war which will always last 3 minutes.

And the pay-off of 24 snails vs 18 snails is a joke. We could probably make more than 180,000 cash through squads in the time it takes to get from champion to king/queen rank.

You'll find a lot of players throughout the day, so it is holding up nicely. Only time there aren't enough players is in ranked mode when there is a Splatfest.
I couldnt even play ranked matches, could only play turf war
Its over!? I thought it ended sunday night. Thank god, now i can go back to rank

Molemitts

I got back into playing this recently. I have a question about ranked mode, because whenever I play it, most of the time when my team is about to win it disconnects. Can players just disconnect when they're losing and ruin the game for everyone? Because it fucking sucks and losing point for having a disconnect when you were winning is the worst thing.

Nico_D

I got back into playing this recently. I have a question about ranked mode, because whenever I play it, most of the time when my team is about to win it disconnects. Can players just disconnect when they're losing and ruin the game for everyone? Because it fucking sucks and losing point for having a disconnect when you were winning is the worst thing.

Yeah it does suck. Though it shouldn't be happening all the time. It can happen occassionally but if it is happening all the time, that's peculiar.

There's three possibilities:

1. It's a real disconnect, connection problem. There are plenty of those.
2. They ragequit my shutting down the console. Some of those too.
3. When they are losing, they resort to cheating which causes the dc. I don't know how much or if any of these there are. May be, may not.

But if losing team member disconnects while you are winning, that shouldn't disconnect you.

nom

So for anyone interested in the more 'competitive' side of Splatoon, a new league is going to start (instead of the endless tournaments)

http://www.twitch.tv/leaguesundertheink

A preview event with a few teams (including NSTC!) will be starting in 30 minutes in the link above. Also teams are still free to sign up for the league, there will be a few different divisions to be a part of!

Doorman

Good lord this. I've been espousing it a lot in the Discord for the past two splatfests in particular that there are two really easy things Nintendo could feasibly do to make Splatfests so much better, especially as it pertains to voting in the NA 'fests:

1. Eliminate the difference in snails between winning and losing teams. Alternatively I really like the suggestion of small snail bonuses for popularity and win rate independently. Right now there's a marked incentive to purposefully game the system and pick the "winning" team, leading players to select via strategy rather than their actual preference...which defeats half the point of even having the splatfests in the first place. As it stands right now, intentionally picking the less popular team not only gets you more snails, but it likely means you'll be matched up against worse opposing teams, meaning easier wins and much faster advancement through the ranks. You get more snails and you get them with less of a time investment, that's just broken.

2. Reduce the amount of points to jump from champion to king/queen, perhaps down to 75 instead of 99. Not only does this make it easier for more people to get more snails, but from a mental standpoint lessening the "grind" mentality eases some frustration and may actually encourage more play in the long run. Particularly for people right now who happen to wind up on the "losing" team, the time it takes to make it up to the top rank, knowing all the while that you're already guaranteed the lower-tier of snail rewards just turns the whole event into a death-march rather than a celebration of what's supposed to make the game fun. Right now by the time you reach the end, it seems like most people can't put an end to their splatfest games fast enough and that's just disappointing.

The fact that people have to talk about "strategy" in picking out the "right" splatfest team is proof in and of itself that the system we have currently isn't working the way the developers intended it to.

Zeldana

Neo Member
2. Reduce the amount of points to jump from champion to king/queen, perhaps down to 75 instead of 99.
Or increase the awarded points for the losing team from 2 to 3 and keep the total 5 for the winners.

The gaps between snails earned for winning and losing teams overall and even the points given at the individual game levels foster a sense of competition more than participation and fun, which kind of defeats the purpose of an event like this, I feel. There's enough of the "winner takes all" mentality in ranked matches (which is fine there).

Nico_D

I don't know if this is old but nevertheless. Saw this guy with a Splish hiding where my ink is in the image. He had painted practically the whole wall and was hanging very low. Anyone else seen this? Could you take the Rainmaker down there?

VryfHX9.jpg

Top Bottom