• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Regiruler

Guys, do I totally suck or is ranked on a whole different level of difficulty? I think I've won like... once on the tower thingy mode, damn.

What rank are you? C level ranked should generally be easier than turf war.

But I haven't been a C rank since near launch so it's possible it turned into a hell.

Nico_D

Guys, do I totally suck or is ranked on a whole different level of difficulty? I think I've won like... once on the tower thingy mode, damn.

I second DaBoss. Keep playing and you'll get better on it.

Though Blue has a point too, there's plenty of luck in what weapons do you get in your team and who do you play with. Still the luck supposedly eventually evens out.

I recommend playing Splat Zones, it's least dependant on team effort. Rainmaker is, in my opinion, the most challenging mode and required a team that plays together.

Fireblend

Banned
Where are you at in ranked and what do you notice you have trouble with?

Haha I literally have only won 1 ranked game since I got the game, so I'm at the bottom of the bottom.

Guess I'll just keep at it. It's funny because I can easily get a 15+ victory streak going in regular turf war, I feel like I'm pretty good at that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Although I suppose things could change or in the very least new patches could come out, here's perhaps the final changelog of every Splatoon update, for the curious. All dates and Splatfests are North American.

Patches and new game modes are highlighted, Splatfests are italicized, new stages are bold, new weapons are plaintext:

May 29: Splatoon released (29 weapons plus three Amiibo-unlocked weapons, 160 pieces of gear in shops plus nine Amiibo-unlocked ones and the Splatfest Tee, five background songs during matches, five maps, Battle Dojo, Octo Valley, Regular Battles, Turf War)
June 1: Added: Ranked Battles, Splat Zones, Port Mackerel, N-ZAP '85
June 2: Patch Version 1.2 (fixed a glitch with Spyke not taking money and stabilized Booyah Base framerate)
June 5: Added: Inkbrush
June 10: Added: Kelp Dome
June 12: Added: Splash-o-matic
June 16: Added: L-3 Nozzlenose, Custom E-Liter 3K
June 19: Added: Bluefin Depot
June 23: Added: Luna Blaster
June 26: Added: Custom Dual Squelcher, Carbon Roller
June 30: Patch Version 1.3 (same teams can play against each other in Splatfest when there aren't enough players on the other team; Kraken, Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump nerfed; Inkstrike coverage made more consistent)
July 1: Added: Tower Control
July 4: First Splatfest (cats vs. dogs)
July 7: Added: Sploosh-o-matic, .96 Gal Deco
July 10: Added: Moray Towers
July 17: Added: N-ZAP '89, Octobrush
July 18: Second Splatfest (rollercoasters vs. waterslides)
July 21: Added: Neo Splash-o-matic, E-Liter 3K Scope
July 24: Added: Camp Triggerfish
July 31: Added: Range Blaster, Inkbrush Nouveau
Aug. 5: Patch Version 2.0 (added Squad Battles, Private Battles, Slosher, Heavy Splatling, four new background songs during matches and 45 new pieces of gear in shops; increased level cap from 20 to 50 and ranked cap from A+ to S+; reworked Urchin Underpass; nerfed Inkzooka and Echolocator and buffed Killer Wail)
Aug. 8: Third Splatfest (marshmallows vs. hot dogs)
Aug. 14: Added: Rainmaker
Aug. 20: Added: Flounder Heights
Aug. 28: Added: Bamboozler 14 Mk I, L-3 Nozzlenose D
Aug. 29: Fourth Splatfest (Autobots vs. Decepticons)
Sept. 1: Patch Version 2.1 (fixed bugs; changed camera angle for rollers when splashing back to Version 1.3; changing scoring of close Tower Control games back to Version 1.3; slightly changed Arowana Mall and Camp Triggerfish)
Sept. 4: Added: Mini Splatling
Sept. 11: Added: H-3 Nozzlenose
Sept. 17: Added: Hammerhead Bridge
Sept. 19: Fifth Splatfest (art vs. science)
Sept. 25: Added: Tri-Slosher
Oct. 2: Added: Carbon Roller Deco
Oct. 10: Added: Custom E-liter 3k Scope, Custom Range Blaster
Oct. 10: Sixth Splatfest (cars vs. planes)
Oct. 20: Patch Version 2.2 (fixed bugs; nerfed indirect damage for all blasters and rollers; decreased ink usage for Splattershot Pro and Squelchers; adjusted ranking calculation; adjusted rules for Rainmaker and Tower Control; adjusted Walleye Warehouse and Kelp Dome in Rainmaker; adjusted Saltspray Rig, Arowana Mall, Flounder Heights and Hammerhead Bridge in all modes; made position-tracking for teammates less visible; made Inkzooka louder)
Oct. 29: Added: H3 Nozzlenose D, Luna Blaster Neo
Oct: 31: Seventh Splatfest (pirates vs. ninjas)
Nov. 6: Added: Heavy Splatling Deco
Nov. 10: Added: Neo Sploosh-o-matic
Nov. 12: Patch Version 2.3 (fixed bugs; added 42 new pieces of gear in shops; changed Ranked Battle results screen to show players in the order of their winning percentage over the previous 10 games rather than in the order of splats in that game)
Nov. 13: Added: Museum d'Alfonsino
Nov. 17: Added: Bamboozler 14 Mk II
Nov. 20: Added: Hydra Splatling
Nov. 24: Added: Slosher Deco
Nov. 27: Added: Sloshing Machine
Dec. 3: Added: Mahi Mahi Resort
Dec. 5: Eighth Splatfest (burgers vs. pizza)
Dec. 11: Added: Zink Mini Splatling
Dec. 17: Patch Version 2.4 (fixed bugs; players of similar skill matched more often in Turf War and Splatfest; added prohibited areas in some Rainmaker maps; shortcut paths removed from Mall, Port, Heights and Museum)
Dec. 18: Added: Tri-Slosher Nouveau
Dec. 19: Ninth Splatfest (naughty vs. nice)
Dec. 25: Rapid Blaster Pro Deco
Dec. 28: Added: Piranha Pit
Jan. 1: Added: Octobrush Nouveau
Jan. 8: Added: Sloshing Machine Neo
Jan. 15: Added: Custom Hydra Splatling
Jan. 16: Tenth Splatfest (the past vs. the future)
Jan. 19: Patch Version 2.5 (fixed bugs; made adjustments to Arowana Mall in all modes, Walleye Warehouse in Rainmaker and Piranha Pit in Tower Control)
Jan. 21: Added: Ancho-V Games

10 modes
16 maps
72 weapons
256 pieces of gear (plus the Splatfest Tee)

237 days from launch date to final content addition (a week shy of nine months)

ChrisD

Thanks for the running updates, Danthrax. Really fun reading back through them. Slightly nostalgic in a way, and it's not even been a year.

Haha I literally have only won 1 ranked game since I got the game, so I'm at the bottom of the bottom.

Guess I'll just keep at it. It's funny because I can easily get a 15+ victory streak going in regular turf war, I feel like I'm pretty good at that.

Like said above, Splat Zones is a good "safe" option to get into. Try to stick with maps that have one big zone until you feel more comfortable in the mode (so don't play on: Moray Towers, Flounder Heights, Blackbelly Skatepark, or Port Mackerel -- may be another one or two but I don't remember off the top of my head).

General advice is to gain and keep map control, not just control of the zone. Generally my mindset is to try to capture zone while staying alive. If it works and at least two other members are still alive on my team, I move in more aggressively and attempt to get more into their area -- or if unnoticed, behind them for "Flanking" them.

If it doesn't work, and not gonna lie, it often doesn't because I die too much, I check the minimap and see if I can build a quick Special. This depends from weapon to weapon (and gear; Special Charge Up is godly imo) and how close your charge already is. Specials are sort of like the Blue Shell in Mario Kart, as the team with more map control has less map to, well, control. They can't paint the map to fill their gauge without going out of their way or waiting on enemy fire to land on what they owned. That means the team that is technically behind has an easier time charging up and breaking through.

So yeah, two basic tips that go far at all points of the game: Try to keep map control, and use Specials to safely break through (but don't spend too much time building meter, knowing how much time is too much is an ever-learning process).

Regiruler

Thanks for the running updates, Danthrax. Really fun reading back through them. Slightly nostalgic in a way, and it's not even been a year.

Like said above, Splat Zones is a good "safe" option to get into. Try to stick with maps that have one big zone until you feel more comfortable in the mode (so don't play on: Moray Towers, Flounder Heights, Blackbelly Skatepark, or Port Mackerel -- may be another one or two but I don't remember off the top of my head).

General advice is to gain and keep map control, not just control of the zone. Generally my mindset is to try to capture zone while staying alive. If it works and at least two other members are still alive on my team, I move in more aggressively and attempt to get more into their area -- or if unnoticed, behind them for "Flanking" them.

If it doesn't work, and not gonna lie, it often doesn't because I die too much, I check the minimap and see if I can build a quick Special. This depends from weapon to weapon (and gear; Special Charge Up is godly imo) and how close your charge already is. Specials are sort of like the Blue Shell in Mario Kart, as the team with more map control has less map to, well, control. They can't paint the map to fill their gauge without going out of their way or waiting on enemy fire to land on what they owned. That means the team that is technically behind has an easier time charging up and breaking through.

So yeah, two basic tips that go far at all points of the game: Try to keep map control, and use Specials to safely break through (but don't spend too much time building meter, knowing how much time is too much is an ever-learning process).
I'd recommend staying away from hammerhead too. It's a difficult map.

TheJoRu

I'm getting bombarded with "connection lost"-games here. Is it my fault?

New map is great, however. They did a great job on the map designs, I like almost all of them (Bluefin Depot, though, ughh).

Blues1990

It's limited, but really digging the fan-made portrait maker.
yCKzTTp.png

I was able to recreate my inkling. It's pretty neat, though I wished there was an option to change the gender of the inkings, for those who play as the boy squid.

ZlZHu4i.png

ChrisD

I was messing around in Recon for Ancho-V Games Rainmaker and found a neat route to take. It'll be hard to solo imo, but I think it can really catch some off guard :p

Also apologize for the off-screen recording, no capture device just yet.

I was wondering if this was possible. Doesn't seem too useful with how roundabout and dangerous it is, but if the situation allows you to use it for slipping by enemies it's worth keeping in mind while carrying the fish.

A Charger could also get the fan for you, couldn't they?

J@hranimo

Banned
I was wondering if this was possible. Doesn't seem too useful with how roundabout and dangerous it is, but if the situation allows you to use it for slipping by enemies it's worth keeping in mind while carrying the fish.

A Charger could also get the fan for you, couldn't they?

Yeah I believe so. It's an extremely risky route, but it's possible. I think if you're doing a twin squad, you can coordinate with your friend and get it to work.

I wouldn't do this as my FIRST route when taking the fish, but I think it's nifty.

Orgen

Finally got to S rank this morning (from A82). There was some luck involved pairing me with very good teammates that made me won a couple of matches but now I can say I did at least reach S rank once :D

Love the new map btw

Wiseblade

Next EU Splatfest has been announced:

Do you play like a Barbarian or a Ninja?

I like to think I'm a ninja, but deep down I know I'm a barbarian. Queen Callie strikes again.

Orgen

Congrats!

Thanks! Now I'll try to maintain the rank as long as possible. (knowing that my real place is between higher A and low A+) At least it feels good to have reached S rank once! (It gives me a feel of acomplishment after spending more than 130h in the game :D)

ChrisD

Thanks! Now I'll try to maintain the rank as long as possible. (knowing that my real place is between higher A and low A+) At least it feels good to have reached S rank once! (It gives me a feel of acomplishment after spending more than 130h in the game :D)

Congratulations! Don't sell yourself short though, if you made it to S you definitely are at a higher play than "high A". Try "Low S/High A+" if anything. And it will only get better. ^^

May your S rank partners ever be the great players and near-gods that inexplicably reside in the rank, and not the 1/10's that reside in it at just as confusingly a number. :p

ss-hikaru

Well gotta say this wasn't a great splatfest experience...pretty disappointed cos I was really looking forward to it after missing the last two. Of course emergency maintenance was a real mood killer but after that I felt like Team Perfect Brain was really getting pushed. Most matches won were real close and a lot that were lost were often lost by a lot. which was weird because i felt I played REALLY well. Usually ended up with over 1000 points on the losing team with decent kills and not too many deaths. But at the end of the match there wasn't much of our ink... I guess looking at the levels, Team Perfect Body tended to have higher level players. I guess I just wasn't skilled enough to carry, only relatively skilled enough to top the internal ranking. Oh well 18 snails will be mine still :)

Rize_21

1T8FoR3.jpg

Marie and her wise words.
Joined the barbarian's train, because let's face it, a dynamo cannot be a ninja, qr x3 main x9 sub was made for us in mind and you know it.

Top Bottom