• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Nico_D

So basically...Rollers vs Chargers?
KuGsj.gif

I'm no ninja. It's a spesific camper type of snipers who are the ninjas. I rather participate in the action.

So after just unlocking the Krak On Splat Roller at level 7 (yes lol i know but i just got the game ok?) is there actually a difference between this and the regular splat roller? I mean just by glancing at the stats, they look to be exactly the same, so is the only difference the sub weapons then?

Also: I feel pretty confident using a roller right now, at what level will i unlock an ACTUAL better one then? (if at all)

Burning Justice

the superior princess
So after just unlocking the Krak On Splat Roller at level 7 (yes lol i know but i just got the game ok?) is there actually a difference between this and the regular splat roller? I mean just by glancing at the stats, they look to be exactly the same, so is the only difference the sub weapons then?

Also: I feel pretty confident using a roller right now, at what level will i unlock an ACTUAL better one then? (if at all)

No difference at all in the primary weapon. Every weapon in the game has one alternate version where the primary weapon is the same, but the sub and special are different.

And the only other rollers are: the Carbon Roller, unlocked at level 10, which is faster than the Splat Roller but the splash isn't as big and rolling over someone doesn't kill them in one hit, and the Dynamo Roller, unlocked at level 15 and after completing the single-player mode, which is slower than the Splat Roller but has a huge splash range.

No difference at all in the primary weapon. Every weapon in the game has one alternate version where the primary weapon is the same, but the sub and special are different.

And the only other rollers are: the Carbon Roller, unlocked at level 10, which is faster than the Splat Roller but the splash isn't as big and rolling over someone doesn't kill them in one hit, and the Dynamo Roller, unlocked at level 15 and after completing the single-player mode, which is slower than the Splat Roller but has a huge splash range.

Tx, so basically i believe i will just stick with the regular Splat Roller then as i am getting good results with it... plus i just love the whail attack.

What about equipment though? Does that get better with time or just "different" as well?

Kito

Generally yes, but in some cases like with the Dual Squelcher, it has less firing range than the branded version.

Blues1990

Thank you. So basically, I believe I'll just stick with the regular Splat Roller as I'm getting good results with it... Plus, I just love the whail attack.

What about equipment though? Does that get better with time, or just "different" as well?

Pretty much, yeah. The key is to try out the different weapon classes to see what main weapon works best for you, and then go from there to see if you like the sub and special ability for that weapon. Also keep in mind that different weapons work best for the games different modes.

For example, I personally love using the N-ZAP '89 in Turf Wars and Rainmaker, as it's a great shooter that's purpose is more coverage-oriented. (Like the '85 version, the main weapon has a similar rate of fire and damage to the Splattershot Jr., but it has better accuracy and range. I also love the Sprinkler and Inkstrike, as it works best for my playstyle).

Alternatively, I prefer the Hero Shot Replica/Splattershot for Tower Control, as 2 Burst Bombs can "splat" a foe, and you can lob four of them before filling up. The main weapon is well balanced, with decent range, accuracy, fire rate, and damage.

It does take a bit of trial and error, so I would suggest trying out the different rollers to see which one works best for you. Also, don't be afraid to try out the other weapons, as they might tickle your fancy.

RedFyn

Tx, so basically i believe i will just stick with the regular Splat Roller then as i am getting good results with it... plus i just love the whail attack.

What about equipment though? Does that get better with time or just "different" as well?

I assume by equipment you mean clothing/abilities? If so yes its just different. Obviously some abilities are better for your weapon and playstyle than others.

Generally yes, but in some cases like with the Dual Squelcher, it has less firing range than the branded version.
What?

Fevaweva

Started playing Splatoon for the first time in a while... Have they improved the framerate of the hubworld massively or am I imagining things?

Geg

Yeah one of the first patches was to improve the framerate in the plaza area. That was within the first week or two of launch though

Needham

The lag in this game can be so weird sometimes. I chased someone into a corner using the Mini Splattling while bubbled, and unloaded what must have been 3 fully charged rounds into her, enough to kill her like 12-15 times over, yet she doesn't die. My bubble runs out and then she kills me. I watch the squids at the top of the screen to see if she ever dies, but she doesn't, so that's weird, usually people at least die eventually when something like that happens. I did meet up with her again right away and killed her about 5 more times before she finally died, or maybe she just finally got hit by my bullets from the first encounter, who knows?

I would love to see that encounter from her perspective. Like, what is going on in her game, do I just look like an idiot who's shooting at nothing for 10 seconds while she watches from the side? Thankfully that's the only time I've ever seen anything so bad.

Orgen

Congratulations! Don't sell yourself short though, if you made it to S you definitely are at a higher play than "high A". Try "Low S/High A+" if anything. And it will only get better. ^^

May your S rank partners ever be the great players and near-gods that inexplicably reside in the rank, and not the 1/10's that reside in it at just as confusingly a number. :p

Hahaha thanks! I'm not a bad player but my couple of bad matches (like 3/12 in the K/D and not doing anything good with the rainmaker) were overshadowed by very good teammates (not god tier :p) so that's why I say I had some luck to get to S.

Now I see the matches only gives/takes you 5 points? Is that right? (And the matchmaking is slower). If that's so maybe I can stay longer in S rank than I thought (but it'll be impossible to reach S+ because I'd need to win 14 matches in a row...)

Japan 10th Splatfest

Perfect Body vs. Perfect Mind

Popularity 44% vs. 56%
Winning rate 53% vs. 47%
Total score 362 vs. 338

Perfect Body wins.

ChrisD

Ugh... One of my favorite mode/map combos (Camp Triggerfish Splat Zones) in rotation. And all I'm rolling is Garbo Towers. Five times, five losses. Nuke that map from the game. >_>

Nico_D

One of my favorite mode/map combos (Camp Triggerfish Splat Zones) in rotation.

Well aren't you a rebel! Don't you know the common consensus and a vertý well known fact is that Camp Triggerfish SZ is in TOP 3 of the worst SZ maps which along with Flounder Heights and Hammerhead Bridge?

Now you know. You are healed.

ChrisD

I... actually didn't know that. Is it just because of the locks that can happen? The two zones? One heavy weapon is enough to break the former, I've learned that the hard way when I try to hold them near spawn.

I really like the multiple (yet all visible from each other) approaches on the stage.

I also don't mind Hammerhead Bridge Zones, until two (or more) people die and have to make the looooong run back, losing way too many points. The entire issue would have been made lighter of the Spawn point was on the tall block, and it also borrowed the RM addition of the inkable blocks to get up your right side.

Edit: oh yeah and Flounder Heights Zones is still just the most confusing stuff ever lol. Never know what I'm doing there. I like to pretend I do.

ffdgh

Well aren't you a rebel! Don't you know the common consensus and a vertý well known fact is that Camp Triggerfish SZ is in TOP 3 of the worst SZ maps which along with Flounder Heights and Hammerhead Bridge?

How is mall, towers, and port zones not the top three? No question about trigger fish being annoying but Heights and Bridge are nowhere near as bad those lol.

Nico_D

I... actually didn't know that. Is it just because of the locks that can happen? The two zones? One heavy weapon is enough to break the former, I've learned that the hard way when I try to hold them near spawn.

Locks are the main reason why I and many others hate Camp SZ. There was a lenghty discussion about it in Discord one day. It is way too easy to get locked out of your own zone - it's basically a race: the team that gets to the zones quicker, wins the game. Theoretically but very often in practice too.

Naturally I struggle as a charger to get to a position after a lockdown. I can't get to the top of the fence because I can be dropped immeaditely from down below (and I can't shut straight down from up there) or from opposite side by long range weapons or competing chargers.

The best strategy that I've managed to make work is the RUSH through the zone to the left slope and stay there. There I can watch my own zone and also have a good view to the bridge. But that works only if there's not a competent charger on the enemy team that can snipe me during the rush. And it's not that hard of a shot.

Hammerhead Bridge Zones
Flounder Heights Zones

I don't like Hammerhead for the same reason I don't like Flounder, which is partly because of my charger status. Not even relatively decent spots to snipe from. And charger or no charger, it's too chaotic. It's the opposite of the Camp.

How is mall, towers, and port zones not the top three?

Because I'm a charger?

Besides that, Mall is very good, very hard to get shut out of the zone, comebacks are fully possibile. Towers sucks only because it's E-Liter playground - I've nothing else to do there except to camp the other sniper hoping I catch him before he catches me, so boring and tedious.

I don't love Port, but I don't hate it either. If anything I have maybe gotten a bit tired of it already. It requires a good team and extremely tight map control to keep those lanes locked. If someone screws up, the end. Of course, comebacks are a bit too hard there. You can get locked out if you let the enemy get there too far.

Too often I've seen matches lost at Port because team hasn't inked their own turf.

I managed to play Ranked for the four hours last night. It felt like the game was giving me an hour's worth of playtime on each map. It wouldn't give me the other map until an hour has passed.

I main the Krak-On roller and got grouped with three other rollers against 4 guns in Moray Towers. I was happy that we won. :)

J@hranimo

Banned
Seriously.

GODO_DVD1.jpg

LOL! I didn't expect this response at all.

Yeah it essentially is a race between half of your team getting to your zone while fighting them off and the other half executing the flank to their zone and surviving successfully. Whatever happens after that it's pretty hard to get it back, especially with gals with shower walls waiting to block you off...

How is mall, towers, and port zones not the top three? No question about trigger fish being annoying but Heights and Bridge are nowhere near as bad those lol.

Nah...Heights is still pretty bad haha. Everything is a nonsense flank
or maybe I should just use rollers more :p

abd

It has taken me since the launch of the game, but I have no realized the benefit of warming up before heading into Ranked matches.

ChrisD

I'm beginning to feel like I should play nothing but Splat Zones in solo queue. Between "get on the tower" and "quit grabbing the fish and running it into the same death path" I am positively peeved right about now.

Moray is just way too easily broken by good Elitres. It's not bad outside of that (it's a great Sploosh map), and a good Elitre is a boon on any map, but Moray just feels so horribly unbalanced on that front.

Same with Port Mackerel.

Though Towers you can be the worst sniper in the game and still pose a threat.

ss-hikaru

I hate Moray Towers zones because of chargers, I find it really hard to take them out with the weapons I main (mini splatling or splattershot junior). I still play it when it's in rotation though, to try and think up ways to counter the chargers but at the same time I resign myself to losing a lot of ranked points :p

I find whenever I get on to play most of the time it's splat zones Mahi Mahi/Museum or Mahi Mahi/Dome :/ Not that I mind, I quite like all three maps but as a result I haven't played most other maps, not just in splatzones but in other modes too. I also don't see tower control very often.

Top Bottom