• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Soul Lab

Different weapons prefer different skills. Run speed is good on splatlings since they have to stand to charge and don't swim very often.

What weapons do you use?

Tentatek Splattershot
Splash-o-Matic
Sloshing mashine

Wanna like to get into Splatling as well.

Now I'm searching for a good skill set for each of these weapons :)

I have to mention that I mostly play turf war

ffdgh

Oh turf war? From personal preference

Splash-o-matic. run speed and special charge. Throw a bit of bomb range in there too if needed
Sloshing machine. Damage up, bomb range, and or ink saver main
Tentatek. Run and swim speed. Special charge up/Saver is also an option

backlot

Tentatek Splattershot
Splash-o-Matic
Sloshing mashine

Wanna like to get into Splatling as well.

Now I'm searching for a good skill set for each of these weapons :)

I have to mention that I mostly play turf war

I don't really play Splash or Sloshing Machine but there's probably other people here who can give you advice on those.

For Tentatek, Swim Speed and Run Speed are both good. I'd go for either a bunch of swim or a mix of both. You might also want to go for a bit of damage up because if opponents run defense up it can turn Tentatek from a 3-shot kill into a 4-shot. Ink Resistance can also be helpful for high mobility builds and Cold-Blooded is just a good ability in general.

For Splatlings you want to run mostly the same abilities except for swim speed. Splatlings have high strafe speeds already and since you can't fire immediately after swimming you'll want to use normal running for most of your positioning. Ink Resistance is good here as well since shooting your feet if you get stuck takes more time than with non-charging weapons. There aren't any Cold-Blooded shirts with Run Speed sub ability biases, so you might want to consider Damage Up to help if enemies stack tons of defense up. Ink Recovery and Special Charge can also work.

Geg

The Japanese Splatoon twitter has been updating with promo images and descriptions of various clothing brands in anticipation of the upcoming tournament. So far they've only done about half the main brands in the game, so I'm hoping they keep updating to do all of them.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP

Summary of some of the descriptions...

Zink is a sportswear brand that specializes in everything from sneakers to uniforms. The polished design is a perfect fit for old school fashion.

Skalop is a headwear brand that mostly puts out various caps and helmets. Their baseball caps are particularly popular, and Inklings find their sticker logo cool.

Takoroka is a sportswear brand that puts out sneakers, spiked shoes, and rugby shirts. It's gotten popular with young Inklings who are normally picky about what they wear.

Firefin is a street brand popular with young, hip Inklings. It's considered cool by Inklings who like a more casual look without fitting into a single style or category.

Inkline is an outdoor-wear brand, though their clothes are also popular as fashion items. They use top of the line materials to maximize functionality and comfort.

Krak-On is an apparel brand that focuses on basic, natural-style shoes. It's popular among Inklings across multiple generations/age groups who like an old-fashioned style.

Still missing Forge, Rockenberg, Splash Mob, SquidForce, Tentatek, and Zekko.

Soul Lab

I don't really play Splash or Sloshing Machine but there's probably other people here who can give you advice on those.

For Tentatek, Swim Speed and Run Speed are both good. I'd go for either a bunch of swim or a mix of both. You might also want to go for a bit of damage up because if opponents run defense up it can turn Tentatek from a 3-shot kill into a 4-shot. Ink Resistance can also be helpful for high mobility builds and Cold-Blooded is just a good ability in general.

For Splatlings you want to run mostly the same abilities except for swim speed. Splatlings have high strafe speeds already and since you can't fire immediately after swimming you'll want to use normal running for most of your positioning. Ink Resistance is good here as well since shooting your feet if you get stuck takes more time than with non-charging weapons. There aren't any Cold-Blooded shirts with Run Speed sub ability biases, so you might want to consider Damage Up to help if enemies stack tons of defense up. Ink Recovery and Special Charge can also work.

thx a lot for your inputs

ss-hikaru

CZs1OCQWIAAti-J.jpg

Spyke coming through.

Wow that's nice and actually looks pretty good together!

I feel like I'm the only guy now who likes Splatlings but still doesn't have Sonic incarnate.

I main the zink mini and go for lots of special charge up/reduced charge loss (not sure what people usually call this one? The one where when you die you lose less of your special charge meter) instead of run speed :p I do tend to put more run speed up when I use the heavy deco though. Though if I had more gear with run speed up I'd probably use it...

The Japanese Splatoon twitter has been updating with promo images and descriptions of various clothing brands in anticipation of the upcoming tournament. So far they've only done about half the main brands in the game, so I'm hoping they keep updating to do all of them.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP

Ah so that's what the recent twitter spam was all about :p Thanks for the translations!

ChrisD

I main the zink mini and go for lots of special charge up/reduced charge loss (not sure what people usually call this one? The one where when you die you lose less of your special charge meter) instead of run speed :p I do tend to put more run speed up when I use the heavy deco though. Though if I had more gear with run speed up I'd probably use it...

Yeah, I'm running Zink Mini right now with RSU [Main] x2, RSU [Sub] x4, Special Charge Up [Sub] x3, and Special Duration Up [Sub] x2, and then I round out with Ink Resistance. It works really well with me. But I've always wondered how it feels running with nothing BUT RSU. =p

(How do you link the profiles? Always wondered, lol)

JCX

I know it would take The Pokemon Company, but I hope the February splatfest is Pokemon Red vs Pokemon Blue for the VC releases.

ChrisD

I know it would take The Pokemon Company, but I hope the February splatfest is Pokemon Red vs Pokemon Blue for the VC releases.

That'd be so cool!

Complete with Red/Blue ink. It worked with wishing for Red/Green Christmas, perhaps it'll happen again haha.

Malus

Teammate tries to take rainmaker to the right side of our base in Kelp Dome when we have 70-nothing lead -> Gets splatted right next to our goal -> The rest is history.

3 of the other team was dead and all of us were covering the middle @_@

ChrisD

Teammate tries to take rainmaker to the right side of our base in Kelp Dome when we have 70-nothing lead -> Gets splatted right next to our goal -> The rest is history.

Oh maaaaan I had two or three games like this today. Look at your minimap every once in a while, people.

Rainmaker is the only mode where people can literally throw a match due to stupidity.

Doorman

A teammate of mine tried pretty hard to throw a match on Kelp rainmaker earlier today, too. Just trying to make our way out of the intersection on the left side of the base, an enemy activated kraken and started to go after a teammate who was carrying the RM. Said teammate proceeds to run away through our base right by the cone where the kraken finally caught up to and killed him. Since the RM shield appeared I couldn't easily reach the enemy to take him out afterward, though fortunately I did manage to grab the rainmaker and beat a quick retreat over the added block that lets you get back into mid quickly. If that guy's team had superjumped to him quickly enough post-kraken, they would have had an easy dunk. I get you don't want to die, but....agh.

ChrisD

A teammate of mine tried pretty hard to throw a match on Kelp rainmaker earlier today, too. Just trying to make our way out of the intersection on the left side of the base, an enemy activated kraken and started to go after a teammate who was carrying the RM. Said teammate proceeds to run away through our base right by the cone where the kraken finally caught up to and killed him. Since the RM shield appeared I couldn't easily reach the enemy to take him out afterward, though fortunately I did manage to grab the rainmaker and beat a quick retreat over the added block that lets you get back into mid quickly. If that guy's team had superjumped to him quickly enough post-kraken, they would have had an easy dunk. I get you don't want to die, but....agh.

Was it like watching a train wreck in slow-motion?

ChrisD

Option to put special on L please. I keep hitting it when trying to turn quickly in close quarters.

I will complain about this until the game dies. It's super annoying whenever you have a game-changing Bubbler, and you try to make a quick reaction with it, but instead your finger doesn't catch the stick properly and you just move the camera. It's fine for things like Inkstrike or Killer Wail, but for reactionary stuff it's a pain...

Wiseblade

I finally hit A+ Rank! It's not quite S+, but it's progress. Especially since I feel like I earned the promotion compared to how I got carried into A Rank by strong teammates.

I will complain about this until the game dies. It's super annoying whenever you have a game-changing Bubbler, and you try to make a quick reaction with it, but instead your finger doesn't catch the stick properly and you just move the camera. It's fine for things like Inkstrike or Killer Wail, but for reactionary stuff it's a pain...
It's not fine, ever. The amount of times I've effectively committed suicide by triggering Instrike with my N-Zap in the middle of a firefight is too many to mention.

DaBoss

I'm honesty baffled Nintendo of all companies would relegate an important button to a stick button.

Even more shocking is that there is no alternative button wharsoever. Most Nintendo games usually have multiple buttons that do the same thing, but not Splatoon. >_>

Ahnez

I'm honesty baffled Nintendo of all companies would relegate an important button to a stick button.

Even more shocking is that there is no alternative button wharsoever. Most Nintendo games usually have multiple buttons that do the same thing, but not Splatoon. >_>

And all of this while L is still unused

MrGameBoy

Absolutely agreed with Ahnez and others before on the controls, as the L Button (or the ZL Button for the original Classic Controller) would have been perfect for activating specials instead of having to press the stick. But most importantly (for me), when so many Wii U games offer multiple control setups, the (relative) lack of such options is surprising, especially for a game that's quite customizable. Personally, even after logging in over 150 hours, I'd rather play the game like this:

kT0zmIS.png

While the content patches have ended, I hope we can get another update for additional controller options.

Absolutely agreed with Ahnez and others before on the controls, as the L Button (or the ZL Button for the original Classic Controller) would have been perfect for activating specials instead of having to press the stick. But most importantly (for me), when so many Wii U games offer multiple control setups, the (relative) lack of such options is surprising, especially for a game that's quite customizable. Personally, even after logging in over 150 hours, I'd rather play the game like this:

kT0zmIS.png

While the content patches have ended, I hope we can get another update for additional controller options.

How would you Super Jump? Or use Inkstrikes? Or use Beacons? Or Recon?

a map pops up, point a reticle at the map, press A

That's even more awkward and slower than the current set up.

The game is designed around the gamepad and second screen not only for motion controls but for the gameplay balance of having a complete map available showing enemy movements and potential ink hiding spots at the cost of looking away from the screen to do so. If the map was available at that ease of a single button press it would make it even harder for players to perform flanks or escape from getting spawn locked.

Every single thing about the game is designed around visuals and lack thereof. Ink shows where teams can go and hide but they cannot traverse in the opposition's. This forces them to spread their own ink in order to create paths or to block others. The complexity and size of the maps, along with the ability to swim in ink to avoid detection are the only ways that such a blatant sign of enemy movement as pastel paints can be functional. The ability to view that entire map at a single button would completely destroy that balance.

The only alternative is to limit the size of a viewable map but that would render Super Jumping practically unusable, which would take away one of the most distinctive and interesting aspects of Splatoon that helps separate it from other shooters. Super Jumping is not only an enjoyable gameplay option but also provides a new layer of depth to the strategy of the game as it is a tool that allows respawning characters quick access to the most active area giving your team an advantage while also a potential detriment to your team if used recklessly.

I'm going to need a more compelling argument than "I don't like holding the gamepad" to justify getting rid of all that interesting and unique gameplay / strategy for different control schemes. IMO, conversations about whatever changes to Splatoon's controls would be better saved for when we know what type of controllers the NX will use, because alternatives to the current setup I'd consider short-sighted and don't fully realize the bigger repercussions those changes would cause.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I feel like it would be faster because I could keep my eyes on the TV. I hate having to swing my head down to look at the gamepad and bring my hand off the controls to tap a spot on the map when I want to super jump or fire an inkstrike.

Mendoza

Not to mention that aiming with the IR pointer is about a thousand times laggier than gyro or sticks.

I don't think that's true with Motion Plus. It uses both for more accuracy. EDIT: Gah, Motion Plus is Gyro

But I digress. Wii Remote should be left to die. Game plays great with the Gamepad, no need to confuse the market.

Doorman

I feel like it would be faster because I could keep my eyes on the TV. I hate having to swing my head down to look at the gamepad and bring my hand off the controls to tap a spot on the map when I want to super jump or fire an inkstrike.

As Magnet Man just noted above, the tradeoff of having to take your eyes off of the main screen is an intended part of the design. You're not supposed to want to do it, but if you want the added information that the map gives you, that's the price you pay for intel.

Bleh, I can't decide if I want to play tonight or not...

Malus

Eh moving a reticle with the analog would definitely be slower than just tapping the screen.

So, after a long time, I suddenly started playing Splatoon again today. Like, I stopped playing a few weeks after launch because I got really busy. But now I'm back in and shit. There are so many new maps and weapons.

And Moray Towers. Awww, man. Moray Towers. I love that map right now.

Azure J

So, after a long time, I suddenly started playing Splatoon again today. Like, I stopped playing a few weeks after launch because I got really busy. But now I'm back in and shit. There are so many new maps and weapons.

Do you play charger exclusively?

Unless the reticle scrolls really fast I don't think it'll be faster than just pressing where you want to go. Additionally the button to jump to spawn is always in the same place (bottom right corner), so you don't even need to look at it to press it.

With the GamePad on the desk or table in front of you.
This works for Pikmin 3 because the game pauses when you want to go into high level mode to look for your captains or around the map. I don't think pausing the game for everyone so that 1 player does a super jump will be a tenable idea, nor do I like the idea of fumbling with the wii remote + nunchuk and gamepad with no pausing.

Tell us more :O

backlot

This works for Pikmin 3 because the game pauses when you want to go into high level mode to look for your captains or around the map. I don't think pausing the game for everyone so that 1 player does a super jump will be a tenable idea, nor do I like the idea of fumbling with the wii remote + nunchuk and gamepad with no pausing.

Sideways Wiimote is a controller option for Smash Bros. and you complain about this?

Sideways Wiimote is a controller option for Smash Bros. and you complain about this?
Well I mean, I wouldn't want to play Smash Bros with sideways wiimote either =/

If you mean that wiimote + nunchuk + gamepad can be included as a separate control option then sure I guess? I'm mostly voicing my opinion on some of the proposed control alternatives as either being fairly awkward or just straight up missing key functions.

With the GamePad on the desk or table in front of you.

How is that any easier from just using the gamepad to begin with? Again, this comes off as short-sighted. You're still looking away from the TV to do anything with the touch screen and you're intentionally limiting yourself by not having access to gyro aiming in tandem with analog sticks. Even simple things like swimming to a location while looking at the touch screen are more awkward in this proposed set up.

Is using a slightly wider Wii U Pro controller really that horrible?

But to be fair, I can't deny that this *might* work but I can't imagine how looking to the side or slightly down is so much more preferable or different from looking down at your hands. Like what problem are we solving through this? And it always comes back to "I don't like holding the gamepad".

Toadsili T

Neo Member
All I will chip in with regards to Controller talk is that I've always been open to the concept of a Wiimote/Nunchuck setup with IR aiming. It was one of the greatest control setups from the last generation; Sin & Punishment 2 comes to mind; and I would have liked to try it out in Splatoon despite the concessions that would need to be made.

That sounds much like my Ultimate Throw in Splatoon in Tower Control. Pushed the Tower on Hammerhead all the way to 1 point, and then immediately got Reverse KO’d. Feels bad man.

How do you save scum?
Save Scumming basically involves creating a copy of your save data from a USB drive to the Wii U’s internal memory. Save data on USB always takes priority over the internal memory, so the game will only read that data. From this point, you can spend all your money on Spyke re-rolls to try and get the gear you want. If you fail to get it, you simply copy the data from the Internal memory, which was a perfect copy before you spent all your money, back over the USB Drive data, and try again.

It's basically a way of partially getting around the money grind required for re-rolling ideal gear. Some people have (somewhat hilariously?) destroyed their save files by messing up the file copying process though; even right before Splatoon tournaments.

Ancho-V is indeed crazy :X I actually don't like going through the middle that often thanks to the fan platforms being the main way in to the enemy base.

Do you play charger exclusively?

Tell us more :O

Maybe EskimoJoe uses the Custom Jet Squelcher.

Nah, I forget which one I use. The gold one, I think. It shoots really rapid fire and stuff. I don't remember the names, sorry, haha. But I just think it's a super fun map. I like the verticality of it. Maybe I'm biased because I've only played like five times and I won it each time.

^^^Ancho-V Games is really fun, too.

ChrisD

Ancho-V is indeed crazy :X I actually don't like going through the middle that often thanks to the fan platforms being the main way in to the enemy base.

From what I've played, Ancho-V is best played by going in and out of their side as much as you can. Paint as much of their side as safely possible then hop back onto the fan platform to ink the middle. Rinse and repeat.

Of course, this is Splatoon, and there are four variables to make that "rinse and repeat" a more involved task. But it's my gameplan for the stage and it seems to work for my weapons.

Nah, I forget which one I use. The gold one, I think. It shoots really rapid fire and stuff. I don't remember the names, sorry, haha. But I just think it's a super fun map. I like the verticality of it. Maybe I'm biased because I've only played like five times and I won it each time.

^^^Ancho-V Games is really fun, too.

That's the Aerospray RG. Shortest range weapon in the game even taking into consideration its sub weapon and special.

I'm going to assume you don't get locked out by Chargers on Moray Towers too often. It's sniper heaven, so most people with short-range weapons hate the place. You are quite the outlier. =p

MrGameBoy

How would you Super Jump? Or use Inkstrikes? Or use Beacons? Or Recon?
Like this, with the Wii U GamePad propped up nearby:

flF8E0N.jpg

For Super Jumps/Beakons, hold the + Button on the Wii Remote Plus to translate your cursor from the TV to the Wii U GamePad touch screen. I say "translate" because you move the cursor through IR-pointing, even though you're still physically aiming toward the sensor bar near your TV. To confirm the jump, press Z (the squid button).

For Inkstrikes, this is similar to pulling off Super Jumps: however, since you activate your special by either shaking the Nunchuk or pressing up on the +Control Pad, your cursor is already "translated" to the GamePad. Launch the Inkstrike at your designated location with B (the main weapon button).

For the above, you still have the option of tapping on the GamePad screen.

As for pinging teammates with "C'mon!" or "Booyah!", hold the - Button and tilt the Control Stick up or down, respectively.

I'm going to need a more compelling argument than "I don't like holding the gamepad" to justify getting rid of all that interesting and unique gameplay / strategy for different control schemes. IMO, conversations about whatever changes to Splatoon's controls would be better saved for when we know what type of controllers the NX will use, because alternatives to the current setup I'd consider short-sighted and don't fully realize the bigger repercussions those changes would cause.
Is using a slightly wider Wii U Pro controller really that horrible?

But to be fair, I can't deny that this *might* work but I can't imagine how looking to the side or slightly down is so much more preferable or different from looking down at your hands. Like what problem are we solving through this? And it always comes back to "I don't like holding the gamepad".
Sorry I forgot to elaborate on how the rest of the game's mechanics would work with the Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk: had to leave for work in the morning. It's mostly preferring pointer-styled aiming, the ergonomics of Wii-based controllers, and not having to move my hand/fingers away from the buttons to the touch screen.

ryechu

Like this, with the Wii U GamePad propped up nearby:

flF8E0N.jpg

For Super Jumps/Beakons, hold the + Button on the Wii Remote Plus to translate your cursor from the TV to the Wii U GamePad touch screen. I say "translate" because you move the cursor through IR-pointing, even though you're still physically aiming toward the sensor bar near your TV. To confirm the jump, press Z (the squid button).

For Inkstrikes, this is similar to pulling off Super Jumps: however, since you activate your special by either shaking the Nunchuk or pressing up on the +Control Pad, your cursor is already "translated" to the GamePad. Launch the Inkstrike at your designated location with B (the main weapon button).

For the above, you still have the option of tapping on the GamePad screen.

As for pinging teammates with "C'mon!" or "Booyah!", hold the - Button and tilt the Control Stick up or down, respectively.

Sorry I forgot to elaborate on how the rest of the game's mechanics would work with the Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk: had to leave for work in the morning. It's mostly preferring pointer-styled aiming, the ergonomics of Wii-based controllers, and not having to move my hand/fingers away from the buttons to the touch screen.

I would rather not turn by pointing at a border box every time i want to maneuver while swimming ink. Sure its possible to create a ton of alternate control schemes, but the splatoon team didnt even set aside the time to properly code the dual sticks option. I doubt they would go through all the hoops so that people could play a overall unideal control scheme that they happen to prefer. Have fun pin pointing pixel shots with the nonscoped E liter at max range with IR. and trust me i know the capabilities of Wii's IR. it wouldnt be ideal.

Top Bottom