• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ChrisD

All this talk about people not using beakons, but how about the ones who put their beakons right on the spawn pad?

Haven't seen that in forever, thankfully.

Defense Up Tentatek shouldn't even be legal, especially not scummed 57 points of Defense Up. That's some nasty business. @_@

ChrisD

Glad to hear you got it back.

But yeeeaaaah, playing on tilt is a bad thing. If you've lost, say, three/four games in a row it's pretty much always best to just quit for the day/night. There are the games that you just can't win, be it an 0/12 partner or simply unfair team compositions. But three in a row is telling that it's partially on you, and four says that you're probably playing in a poor mindset. The rank see-saw only makes things worse for that.

You can always gain all that lost rank back later, don't try to recover off of loss streaks in the same day that you go on them.

Quoting myself because I went from S+82 to S+34 in the past thirty minutes

im okay, for real

:)

:(((((

Kito

I've been having similar issues. i can't even play it anymore because it is lagging so bad and getting constant disconnects. My internet otherwise seems to be running just fine. Is anyone else having for the past few days?

I was in the same boat yesterday. See if anything here helps. First step worked for me.

noshten

I was in the same boat yesterday. See if anything here helps. First step worked for me.

I think there was an overall issue with the network yesterday - I tried playing and had 2-3 DC in a row and gave up. That's not really normal and it's interesting that other people experienced the same problems.

All this talk about people not using beakons, but how about the ones who put their beakons right on the spawn pad?

I do that when playing with a roller and people keep super jumping to me instead of the beacons I've placed. Thats just frustrating and you stick some beakons on the spawn after you get splatted because someone super jumped to you as you were trying to ambush the opposition.

jariw

I think there was an overall issue with the network yesterday - I tried playing and had 2-3 DC in a row and gave up. That's not really normal and it's interesting that other people experienced the same problems.

Yes, there has been something going on the last days specifically. Although I haven't experienced any disconnects myself, I played a lot turf war matches yesterday with one or two disconnected players (even before match starts). Perhaps they are messing around with the match making servers for the Splatfest (since Splatoon gameplay itself is P2P).

Ogodei

Walleye Warehouse, Flounder Heights and Ancho-V Games for Splatfest, best fest maps combo ever?

Is Ancho-V the one with the fans and the moving platforms? I'm still not 100% on the names of the newer stages, though i know them by sight.

Seems like this will be a fest for short-range players, though.

Kito

You seem to be right. The unstable connection messages are back, and router power cycling isn't fixing it. Everyone else is playing online just fine though?

EDIT: All is good again.

ChrisD

Good Splatfest rotation.

I've done the impossible: getting consistent wins with the H-3 deco

What are you doing with it?

I told my brother last night that H3D is akin to playing baseball with a plastic bag.

They should let it be a two-shot kill that can be blocked out by one Defense Up main, or two subs if that's too much. Up close I'm sure .52 still kills faster. And from afar it would be no worse than .96's two-shot.

Aldric

Good Splatfest rotation.

I told my brother last night that H3D is akin to playing baseball with a plastic bag.

They should let it be a two-shot kill that can be blocked out by one Defense Up main, or two subs if that's too much. Up close I'm sure .52 still kills faster. And from afar it would be no worse than .96's two-shot.

It kills in 13 frames which is the same as the Sploosh, 2nd fastest ttk in the game after the .52 and the Carbon (12 frames).

Doesn't really matter of course because of how impractical the weapon is.

Regiruler

Good Splatfest rotation.

Using it like a more ink efficient/wider squiffer. It's deceptively effective for inking turf.

Also reliable for making quick escape lines.

That said I would never compare anything to the gals. They're way too inaccurate for my liking.

Aldric

l feel like the H3 is a prime candidate for Sheldon's Picks vol2. Something like Disruptors/Kraken would help it immensely.

l feel like the H3 is a prime candidate for Sheldon's Picks vol2. Something like Disruptors/Kraken would help it immensely.
Yeah. Particularly since they don't seem to mind giving loadouts within the same family some overlap at this point. For example, Octobrush Noveau and Permanent Inkbrush both having Splat Bombs. I feel that Disruptors are more suitable for the H3 than the L3, and hopefully it won't be difficult to differentiate between the two.

ryechu

Yeah. Particularly since they don't seem to mind giving loadouts within the same family some overlap at this point. For example, Octobrush Noveau and Permanent Inkbrush both having Splat Bombs. I feel that Disruptors are more suitable for the H3 than the L3, and hopefully it won't be difficult to differentiate between the two.

They've avoided disruptor kraken for all this time for a reason. While i agree that the h3 could use a good set, what it needs more than anything is a main weapon buff.

Jims

Nice Splatfest rotation! Any Turf rotation without Saltspray, Bluefin, or Camp is a winner in my book. Trying to coordinate a team of randoms on those maps feels like herding cats. Flounder is such a great Turf Wars map, as well. The only one that makes me a little nervous is Ancho-V... Saw a decent amount of spawn-camping on that map during the last Splatfest.

I think I'm going Team Fancy regardless because I'm kinda over getting a costume together these days, but Team Fancy seems like the play, no? Kinda feels like all the kids would go for a Costume Party. I know rank is supposed to even that out, but there's gotta be something in the adult/kid demo split that still affects the win percentage.

Jeeves

Well so far on Team Fancy, most of my games have seen my team being spawn camped for over half the match. I had a much easier time finding good teams to stick with in previous splatfests. This is also the first one I've played since they introduced splatfest power.

EulaCapra

Is there some maintenance going on right now? My internet is all good but game has been acting up: internet error right after match completed and I've been stuck on "Searching for a battle to join..." screen twice.

Is there some maintenance going on right now? My internet is all good but game has been acting up: internet error right after match completed and I've been stuck on "Searching for a battle to join..." screen twice.
I'm having problems too. Damnit come on. I still got around 2 and ahalf hours left. I need to do it tonight not tomorrow. ._.

FFS.

Edit: I'm contantly stuck on "connecting to internet"

Edit2: Just passes thru! Hopefully it works now!

Edit3: FUCK! Now it keeps D/C again.

Just gotta keep trying. So fucking exausted but I gotta finish the Splatfest. :(

2 DC in a row and I'm waiting for opponents to show up in what seems to be an eternity.

Aaaaaand the 3rd one.

Come on, I don't have time tomorrow...

Nightii

Banned
Well, the servers are back, and since I was at 85/99 points when they crashed, I decided to get the necessary couple of wins out of the way already.

WVW69jNKF34S442vif

Overall, this was easily my most enjoyable Splatfest so far, the Japanese being with us meant no DC bullshit every two seconds, and I got to play with actually competent people, so yeah, I actually had fun.

Not to mention that if it wasn't for the maintenance I would have finished this run in less than 3 hours! Getting 9 points from winning is awesome.

I have no need for snails anymore, so I did this solely to support costume parties, since I find fancy dressing an annoying chore.

Immediately went on a run with Japanese players, got 48/99 Fancy Champion and up to 25x for our squad. Didn't plan on going that far just barely this morning...

GokouD

God this is so confusing, in the UK it's black tie vs fancy dress, so when you say you're on team fancy, I think you mean the opposite of what you do! Anyway, I think black tie/fancy party is going to clean up, I got to Queen this afternoon with only 3 losses on the way.

Regiruler

I liked being able to read the names once a month.

If I wanted to see nothing but iapanese players I could have played ranked for 8 hours.

EDIT: also seem to be much more cowardly

ffdgh

This splatfest has been going surprisingly well with the new system compared to the others/NA vs EU. 3 more wins and I'm royalty.

Jims

Yeah, pretty smooth for me too. Still a few connection errors here or there but the matchmaking has been significantly quicker this time. No more 2-minute waits for matches!

Ended up +101 for the day. Tried playing regular Slosher through Champion and basically split all my games... I think being saddled with Special Saver for the shirt really messes up that weapon during Splatfest. All those Dynamos and invicibilities running around is bad meta for that weapon. Ended up switching to Slosher Deco and won 10-11 straight to King. Whohoo!

I have no idea why teams try to over-extend on Walleye Turf, though. That is, like, the easiest map to lock down once you're in there. Seen a lot of stupid losses by teams going for style points.

I have no idea why teams try to over-extend on Walleye Turf, though. That is, like, the easiest map to lock down once you're in there. Seen a lot of stupid losses by teams going for style points.

I saw that quite a bit today. We'd have them pinned down pretty well to where their team was in "Danger" with a minute left but then someone would get greedy and go walking up the ramp on their side, get splatted, and that was the opening the other team needed to come back.

Not that I was doing much better today. I think my teams only won about a third of the games I played in.

EulaCapra

The highest my Fancy Power got was +127.

That was a pretty smooth ride to Queen even after suffering several matches just to find two good batches of teammates to stick with. I don't think I experienced any teammate dropouts. And since it was a global Splatfest, I had 4 Fancy vs. Fancy matches.

Doorman

This has been my most frustrating, most annoying V2 Splatfest ever. :/

Right there with you on this one. On one hand, I like the greater point-gains for wins since it means getting on a winning team will get you over with the whole thing faster...but it also feels a lot harder to get a solid team and go on a winning streak compared to before. It was at its worst yet for me in this global event. I'm tired of the enforced crappy gear, "ranked" turf wars that actually feel like they matter, and the notion that every loss feels like it's forcing you to keep playing that much longer, especially now that winning can bring an end to it so quickly.

Also I still hate inkzookas a lot. Fuck that super.

Regiruler

Right there with you on this one. On one hand, I like the greater point-gains for wins since it means getting on a winning team will get you over with the whole thing faster...but it also feels a lot harder to get a solid team and go on a winning streak compared to before. It was at its worst yet for me in this global event. I'm tired of the enforced crappy gear, "ranked" turf wars that actually feel like they matter, and the notion that every loss feels like it's forcing you to keep playing that much longer, especially now that winning can bring an end to it so quickly.

Also I still hate inkzookas a lot. Fuck that super.

You really shouldn't be so dependent on your stats that your pissed about losing them.

We could be stripped to vanilla and I wouldn't give a fuck.

Also, got king ages ago.

Kito

When you snipe an inkstriker twice at full charge and they just swim away, you know it's time to stop. Why does splatfest make the Japanese so laggy.

Pros and cons of Global Splatfest.

Pros:
-Never have to wait for a game
-Players are a bit better

Cons:
-Enemy Snipers gain the buff to shoot through walls and cannot be shot from the front or sides, only the back.
-Enemy Inkzookas are buffed to be Rainmaker size. And go through walls.
-Increased chance of joining a Squid Bag Party if the player is the only American in the room (I had 9 games, 9!! of all players on my team squidbagging or following me while flicking their rollers at me)

If there was a roller on the other side, don't even bother to leave the base because the team will run straight into it.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Finally got to King. Had much better luck finding good teammates this time than I did last time. Ended up at 1651 (started at 1600). Last time I dropped to, like, 1550 or so.

Top Bottom