• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ChrisD

Pros and cons of Global Splatfest.

Pros:
-Never have to wait for a game
-Players are a bit better

Cons:
-Enemy Snipers gain the buff to shoot through walls and cannot be shot from the front or sides, only the back.
-Enemy Inkzookas are buffed to be Rainmaker size. And go through walls.
-Increased chance of joining a Squid Bag Party if the player is the only American in the room (I had 9 games, 9!! of all players on my team squidbagging or following me while flicking their rollers at me)

If there was a roller on the other side, don't even bother to leave the base because the team will run straight into it.

I never ran into the squid bag issue, but I got the rest of the cons and.. None of the pros. Standard waiting time and waaaaay worse players than last time around.

Edit: omg I got home half an hour ago and figured I'd play a bit more. The players got WORSE than earlier today. How... How.

Damn, I just got disconnected from a great party. All the best to my squids-in-arms, Japanese Sploosh player and the roller girl with no name. Finish the fight ;_;

I'm starting to thing some players are trying to sabotage the other team: had to quit after several matches because I'd met players squid-kidding all the time or some idiots staying in the base doing nothing but shooting at the ground or throwing themselves out of the stage.

At least I got to Costume King.

Kito

Playing some of splatfest with refurb mini has shown me one of the reasons (forgetting Zini and bomb rush) it isn't popular: it needs perfect gear. As with any splatling, ink res + 28pts of RSU is essential, and on top of that, for this particular splatling, you need ISS. Any wasted slots (splatfest tee, imperfect gear) you won't have the ink for burst bomb finishers, a central tech of this weapon.

ffdgh

Darn it japan you messed up the popularity always losing thing. Was hoping marie could have kept her win streak going.
KuGsj.gif

StAidan

The recent Splatfest ranking changes with power level and all that... kind of make me interested in seeing the win % between the different ranks. I have a feeling that S and S+ players might not influence the overall outcome as much as the lower ranks anymore.

I mean, there have to be some pretty good players who start at the bottom simply because they don't (or rarely) play ranked modes, and therefore have a letter rank that doesn't reflect their relative ability to perform in the Splatfest.

ss-hikaru

First splatfest that actually felt like 'competitive turf wars' to me which was fine except for the sudden apparent decrease in weapon variety...pretty much everyone seemed to be using the short range/rapid fire weapons or a roller. Like, I understand why but it made things kinda boring. Dropped outta a room where I had 3 roller teammates only to enter another room with 3 roller teammates and then got matched up against a team with 3 aerosprays LOL. I have never seen so many splat rollers in my life.

Regiruler

First splatfest that actually felt like 'competitive turf wars' to me which was fine except for the sudden apparent decrease in weapon variety...pretty much everyone seemed to be using the short range/rapid fire weapons or a roller. Like, I understand why but it made things kinda boring. Dropped outta a room where I had 3 roller teammates only to enter another room with 3 roller teammates and then got matched up against a team with 3 aerosprays LOL. I have never seen so many splat rollers in my life.

You weren't in the testfire?

backlot

What was your Splatfest Power? I didn't see many splat rollers or aerosprays myself.

ss-hikaru

What was your Splatfest Power? I didn't see many splat rollers or aerosprays myself.

On my main account I was S so started off at...1600 I think? Started off well but then was pretty down hill from there got as low as about 1430 or so (matches were really really close but could never clinch the win >.<) which I think is about B level? LOL. My alt was C rank so started at 1000 and worked my way up a fair bit. The splat roller/aerospray situation happened on my alt account, but on my S account there were lots of splash/sploosh/aerosprays/juniors and carbons/dynamos with a fair few splat rollers here and there. I was mostly surprised at the frequency of splat rollers as I very rarely ever see them...in any mode (on my S main account). Hmm I guess over this splatfest I 'experienced' all ranks from C to S XD

ChrisD

So I've begun to do an experiment. Whenever an E-Liter doesn't place Beakons, I Super Jump to them repeatedly. After four consecutive jumps they almost always place one. It may be the only one they place throughout the game, but hey! It's more than zero!

I realize I'm a huge jack* for it, but hey. It's working, even if only progressively.

Ogodei

I don't know about others, but i've been sticking to high-point-yield weapons in the last few splatfests to help me grind up gear.

I've been slowly mastering Tower Control, previously my weakest of the three ranked modes. For a while i was trying Berry Splattershot (and that still would have advantage on certain stages), but i realized the tried-and-true splash-o-matic does better when you get into a point blank range fight on the tower itself, and going berserk with a suction bomb rush in the last second also never gets old. A- 90 and the crawl up is agonizing still.

Supposedly they fixed this to pair with similar Fest Power but some of the patch notes have mentioned that during Splatfests, players used to be paired on "similar playstyles" which I think just means similar weapons. I do a lot of flanking so I use a Jr, Neo Sploosh, Splash Matic, etc so Splatfests pair me with a lot of short-range weapon users as well, which is why if the enemy team has a roller or a charger we get stomped since no one can get in or kill from a distance.

So I think you're maybe getting paired with "similar playstyles" as well.

ChrisD

Teammate grabs Rainmaker after we wiped the enemy.
Teammate runs Rainmaker back to our pedestal, hops up and down and spams Booyah.
Teammate stops hopping whenever a Sniper finds him.
Enemy uses Wail and gets auto-win.

...I don't know what we even did to make him mad.

Robotguy

Teammate grabs Rainmaker after we wiped the enemy.
Teammate runs Rainmaker back to our pedestal, hops up and down and spams Booyah.
Teammate stops hopping whenever a Sniper finds him.
Enemy uses Wail and gets auto-win.

...I don't know what we even did to make him mad.
This reminds me of when there was briefly a glitch that would cause 1 player from each squad to switch to the other team. We were playing RM, and Totakeke switched to the other side. He picked up the RM and then ran it to the enemies goal for us then we killed him and picked it up to win, lol.

Anways, you probably didn't do anything to make him mad. He was probably just a dick.

ss-hikaru

I don't know about others, but i've been sticking to high-point-yield weapons in the last few splatfests to help me grind up gear.

I was doing this until I leveled up all my gear and now i spend all my snails and cash on the Spyke machine to roll for gear I want instead of adding slots ;A;
he was actually very nice to me this time! gave me some decent gear, not exaaactly what I wanted and not triples but hey, I'll take what I can get ;)

Supposedly they fixed this to pair with similar Fest Power but some of the patch notes have mentioned that during Splatfests, players used to be paired on "similar playstyles" which I think just means similar weapons. I do a lot of flanking so I use a Jr, Neo Sploosh, Splash Matic, etc so Splatfests pair me with a lot of short-range weapon users as well, which is why if the enemy team has a roller or a charger we get stomped since no one can get in or kill from a distance.

So I think you're maybe getting paired with "similar playstyles" as well.

Hmm, may be so on my main (was using the zink mini which does lay down a lotta ink) but my alt I was using the vanilla heavy splatling and I was definitely the 'odd one out' XD Also I wasn't really getting matched up with people of the same splatfest power on my alt account. I don't know if this was because I had risen to 1100 and there weren't many players around at this power (kept getting paired with either 1000 or 1200 teams) or the system just doesn't work :p

Ogodei

One loss and two internet-connection-drops dropped me from A- 98 to 66.

Time to walk away for a while (picked up FE Fates Birthright finally).

ChrisD

StAidan I want to publicly apologize for the game putting me on your team in Ranked while I'm using an Inkbrush.

I have no idea how to use an Inkbrush.

Sorry for that Kelp Dome Tower Control loss. </3

StAidan

StAidan I want to publicly apologize for the game putting me on your team in Ranked while I'm using an Inkbrush.

I have no idea how to use an Inkbrush.

Sorry for that Kelp Dome Tower Control loss. </3

lol, well thanks for the apology. It was a pretty bad night for me in ranked anyway, I think matchmaking had it out for me :/ So no hard feelings ;)

ChrisD

lol, well thanks for the apology. It was a pretty bad night for me in ranked anyway, I think matchmaking had it out for me :/ So no hard feelings ;)

Sucks to hear that. Hope you have better luck next time.

I implore anyone who was interested in the Inkbrush Nouveau before but wasn't a fan of Ink Mines being deadweight, to try the weapon out again. The rotation was Splat Zones Walleye and Port. It was pretty meh on the latter, but RNGejus was kind to me and kept handing out Warehouse. Lemme' tell you, the weapon is a blast on that stage/mode combo.

The Ink Mine change was huuuuge. While playing I was trying to remember why the weapon wasn't very fun before, because placing Mines in different places to adapt to situations is so natural.

On an unrelated but still Inkbrush note, I want a Burst Bomb/Bomb Rush Inkbrush. The Special can be something different, but Burst Bombs would be cool now that their radius is bigger. The idea would be to bomb people as a way to put the enemies into a "Battle Arena" where you can then swish at them. If it did have Rush, the uniqueness would be even further because it's the only Roller with such a thing AND it's really the only Burst Bomb Rush that can infiltrate enemy territory without making a huge ruckus.

Man, Spyke's Lottery never bothered me much, but for some reason the Gear Editor is just really scummy in my mind. Seen two 57 Swim Speed Up Rollers today and they just leave a bad tast in my mouth.

J@hranimo

Banned
Funny enough I was using the bubble brush a ton in Turf and in some ranked games, and it's actually a fun weapon. I find it VERY effective on TC on some maps like Walleye and Blackbelly. Easy to keep mid your color and can push with the Bubbler Express. So much fun :p

Also I think I'm gonna try to play this a bit more since my left thumbstick randomly stopped acting up this morning. Still going to order those replacement parts just in case it acts wonky again.

Azure J

On an unrelated but still Inkbrush note, I want a Burst Bomb/Bomb Rush Inkbrush. The Special can be something different, but Burst Bombs would be cool now that their radius is bigger. The idea would be to bomb people as a way to put the enemies into a "Battle Arena" where you can then swish at them. If it did have Rush, the uniqueness would be even further because it's the only Roller with such a thing AND it's really the only Burst Bomb Rush that can infiltrate enemy territory without making a huge ruckus.

I've long since left Inkbrushes behind (the base weapon is just too unsalvageable despite the playstyle surrounding it still being my absolute favorite in this game, chargers and shooters with walls be damned) but I still like the novelty behind this kit/idea for similar reasons.

A part of me kinda hopes the dream doesn't die and they give it to a theoretical "Shader Octobrush", but I'm not counting on it.

Which also reminds me that I still kinda want Doorman's Disruptor/Echo Octobrush to be a thing. (There aren't any other kits I can think of revolving around brushery with the combination of unused subs and specials for Octobrush/brushes in general.)

Doorman

I've long since left Inkbrushes behind (the base weapon is just too unsalvageable despite the playstyle surrounding it still being my absolute favorite in this game, chargers and shooters with walls be damned) but I still like the novelty behind this kit/idea for similar reasons.

A part of me kinda hopes the dream doesn't die and they give it to a theoretical "Shader Octobrush", but I'm not counting on it.

Which also reminds me that I still kinda want Doorman's Disruptor/Echo Octobrush to be a thing. (There aren't any other kits I can think of revolving around brushery with the combination of unused subs and specials for Octobrush/brushes in general.)

GIVE

IT

TO

ME

StephenColbertGive.gif

I wish Nintendo will announce some one year anniversary event soon, not just Amiibo preordering. Also I bet Splatoon will stay on Nintendo JP's homepage until next Splatoon game announced. It's been there for an year. lol

Kito

When rainmaker first came out I was always using a run speed inkbrush in solo to make paths for the fish, convinced it was the ultimate strat.

ChrisD

Somebody on Miiverse posted a snapshot of them being at S+99... At Level 10. As a comment to another guy who said, "NWPlayer has trained me well" with a screenshot of loads of scummed gear.

What a freaking joke. Didn't know you could straight up hack your rank as well.

If that garbage catches on, S+ will be B rank in terms of player skill in no time flat. And the worst part is that they lose nothing, it's only the legitimate players that take L's in the scenario. They can cheat their way right back up after their losses.

You've no idea how unreasonably annoyed I am at a video game right now.

J@hranimo

Banned
those do tend to splat me a lot lol

Especially nowadays sloshing machines are few and far inbetween...

I don't understand the love for the slosher but the sloshing machine is awesome!!! One of my fav weapons.

Well I used to use the OG slosher back in Aug and kinda stopped using it for a while. When the sloshing machine came out though, I loved it.

I do hope it gets a range buff. That's all it needs to be more viable again with the new and improved sloshers.

I finally did it. Now I can go back to being my usual sucky player.

MQBbAod.jpg

Congrats! The Final Final Boss has been bested!

abd

Thank you for the congratulation guys. I was watching the video and I realized that on the last game 2 players from each team DC at the end. So perhaps I benefited from the wonky servers.

Top Bottom