• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ss-hikaru

Thank you for the congratulation guys. I was watching the video and I realized that on the last game 2 players from each team DC at the end. So perhaps I benefited from the wonky servers.

Think about all the times the servers screwed you over, you deserve to benefit from the wonkyness every now and then :p Besides if two players on each team DC-ed, it's still a fair game right?

Azure J

When rainmaker first came out I was always using a run speed inkbrush in solo to make paths for the fish, convinced it was the ultimate strat.

Man, if run speed up affected movement when using brushes/rollers, it would be so hilarious.

Azure's "Buff Brush Class" Starter Pack:

- Inklings now gingerly walk forward (1.15 times normal running speed) while swinging their brush instead of flailing in place.
- Run Speed Up now affects this new animation + their rolling speed
- Inkbrush gets 4 "blobs" of ink instead of the current 3

ChrisD

But how do you know for sure?

We can't trust ANYONE

Trust no one, not even yourself

Shoot, DUDE never made it to S+99, and he was never actually maxed out with cash either! How did I never see it?!

Seriously though, it bums me out. NeoGAF I trust, but now anyone who posts on like Miiverse or twitter or whatever the first thing I think of is, "Yeah, now the question is did you cheat for it."

When did Dual Squelcher become fun? I don't remember it being this good.
Maybe the Cold-Blooded nerfs and the resulting drop in usage changed my outlook on it. This is a really fun kit.

Man, if run speed up affected movement when using brushes/rollers, it would be so hilarious.

Azure's "Buff Brush Class" Starter Pack:

- Inklings now gingerly walk forward (1.15 times normal running speed) while swinging their brush instead of flailing in place.
- Run Speed Up now affects this new animation + their rolling speed
- Inkbrush gets 4 "blobs" of ink instead of the current 3
While we're at it, for Splat Rollers I want:

-Fix the fucking RNG
-Allow sides of the roller to OHKO again
-Fix the fucking RNG
-Fix the fucking RNG
-FIX THE FUCKING RNG

ChrisD

COCOA KEN-SHIN V2

I WISH I WAS RECORDING OMG

This guy was just... I don't even know! It was this Roller who was warping all over. He would teleport from place to place, while doing this weird jitter animation. Then there would be random ink, everywhere. Killing him resulted in at least three seconds of waiting on the death message. And he had loads of QR, so whenever it took the rare five, six, SEVEN seconds to show the death message, he was already back on the field despite it saying you killed him just then!

The best/weirdest/worst part was when he then started FLYING. He just up and started hovering all over, like he was being dragged by mouse on a PC. It was the strangest thing I've ever seen in this game.

He also moved the tower while not even being alive or on-screen. You always knew to shoot at the tower when it started moving on its own, because he would be landing his Super Jump on it uh.... at some point. You never knew exactly when.

And it was the whole match + Overtime. Five minutes of me shouting beside my brother, "WHATTT. WHHHHAAAAAT. DUDE, LOOK AT THIS. DID HE JU- HE JUST FLEW???!!?"

Edit: Shoot, forgot the second best part: The match cut short at the 24 second mark. They still had a good enough distance to go. Well, turns out the reason it cut short was because... you guessed it, CocoaV2 had apparently took the tower to the end. It traveled all the way to the end and the guy on the tower just sat there. The Roller then landed after, I don't know, four seconds of staring at the "GAME!" screen. And then he started moving. And covering ground. While everyone else was frozen.

Then the results showed up. They didn't even get a Knockout, despite the tower supposedly reaching the end.

I can't re-iterate enough that this was the strangest thing I have ever seen in this game. Not even Splatoon glitch videos I've watched beat this out.

How do you cope/what do you do when you don't think you're tilted, and you're still in like... a calm mind, but you just lose? Then lose. Then lose again. I've not changed how I'm playing, I've not changed weapon or gear, and I'm still doing a pretty good job of things... I think. But I have lost my past eight games, despite winning consistently with the same things just an hour before. I don't want to pull the "muh team" card, but like, seriously man. What's up with this?

Also Hydra Vanilla is fun now too, what the frick man. And I'm not even using Run Speed on it.

ss-hikaru

This guy was just... I don't even know! It was this Roller who was warping all over. He would teleport from place to place, while doing this weird jitter animation. Then there would be random ink, everywhere. Killing him resulted in at least three seconds of waiting on the death message. And he had loads of QR, so whenever it took the rare five, six, SEVEN seconds to show the death message, he was already back on the field despite it saying you killed him just then!

The best/weirdest/worst part was when he then started FLYING. He just up and started hovering all over, like he was being dragged by mouse on a PC. It was the strangest thing I've ever seen in this game.

He also moved the tower while not even being alive or on-screen. You always knew to shoot at the tower when it started moving on its own, because he would be landing his Super Jump on it uh.... at some point. You never knew exactly when.

The whole flying thing kinda sounds like that glitch where one person ends up on a different stage to everyone else? So to you he looks like he's flying but on his screen...I guess you would be underground? XD doesn't really explain the weird tower shenanigans though.

ChrisD

The whole flying thing kinda sounds like that glitch where one person ends up on a different stage to everyone else? So to you he looks like he's flying but on his screen...I guess you would be underground? XD doesn't really explain the weird tower shenanigans though.

Oh man if I was underground... I was a Hydra hahaha. Can only imagine you're rolling around and shots start flooding upwards from the ground like a reverse shrapnel.

ss-hikaru

Oh man if I was underground... I was a Hydra hahaha. Can only imagine you're rolling around and shots start flooding upwards from the ground like a reverse shrapnel.

Reminds me of a super laggy rainmaker match I had recently where I was completely surrounded by my own ink with no enemies in sight except for one aerospray who was definitely too far away to reach me (like, I was using the heavy splatling and I wouldn't have been able to reach him) and wasn't even looking in my direction or even shooting anyway. With phantom ink bullets hitting me, I just kept retreating further and further away from the aerospray while looking around wildly for any other attackers and charging up a rainmaker shot which I killed him with, only to die shortly afterwards. The killer? The aerospray apparently.... It was the best (only because my alt where I don't care haha), I was killed by a guy who couldn't reach me, wasn't facing me, was DEAD and actually wasn't even shooting. Like some kinda psychic power.

backlot

Is the game overrun with hackers now? My daughter really wants to watch me play, but if the game is ruined now I'm not sure I want to.

A lot of people hack gear but I haven't run into anyone with hacked weapons yet. I know they exist but they aren't common at all.

StAidan

That kinda sucks. Are we talking about impossible gear or just things with "Perfect" subs? Either way, still lame. :/

Just perfect/pure/shiny gear, nothing impossible to create given enough time.

And yeah, it's rare to see cheaters with actual weapon or stat modifications online, I think Nintendo's handed out enough bans that most people are too smart to try it.

Regiruler

I'm annoyed enough that I'd be okay witb a complete wipe to whatever game comes on NX. This version is tainted.

Pokemon is in an absolutely awful state due to hacking, and bank was a mistake.

Just perfect/pure/shiny gear, nothing impossible to create given enough time.

And yeah, it's rare to see cheaters with actual weapon or stat modifications online, I think Nintendo's handed out enough bans that most people are too smart to try it.

Still if everyone is running around with hacked gear that makes them better than me it's kinda depressing and sounds not all that fun. :/

A simple search on gbatemp tells me that there exists an easy way for hackers to unban themselves by creating a new NNID on 3DS, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes available on Wii U soon.

As a rule of thumb, Nintendo is always incompetent in dealing with cheaters. There have been hacked ghosts on the Mario Kart 8 leaderboards for months now, Nintendo hasn't budged an inch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GiEx0Io.jpg

Still if everyone is running around with hacked gear that makes them better than me it's kinda depressing and sounds not all that fun. :/
Not that the bonuses from gear are insignificant, but in general better tactics and better strategy will still triumph over gear differences. I can get back onto my alt and still crush players with Splattershot Jr and starter clothes that aren't even fully slotted (though it probably helps that the Splattershot Jr is a fairly good loadout on its own).

Not that the bonuses from gear are insignificant, but in general better tactics and better strategy will still triumph over gear differences. I can get back onto my alt and still crush players with Splattershot Jr and starter clothes that aren't even fully slotted (though it probably helps that the Splattershot Jr is a fairly good loadout on its own).
Jr though. It's the one weapon that every rank uses cause bubble.

J@hranimo

Banned
I'm annoyed enough that I'd be okay witb a complete wipe to whatever game comes on NX. This version is tainted.

Pokemon is in an absolutely awful state due to hacking, and bank was a mistake.

Lol. Stay mad at people for altering the random number generator because RNG is indeed bullshit.

Eh not really. Like CoconutTank said, those having their gear changed to fit their needs just helps their strategies and playstyle better. It does not in any way guarantee a better player.

Honestly I think the most perk dependent weapons are the Rapid Blasters. It's generally very hard to do anything with them without damage up. After that is..................

Uh I guess Dynamos are pretty strict on the perks that they need? Splattershot Pros as well? Chargers and Splatlings can be fairly strict as well, but not as bad as either of the previously mentioned. Gals and Splattershots generally seem to have the most flexibility, though sometimes they have to wear damage up to cancel out defense up on other players, which itself isn't usually mandatory.

I don't know what perks are generally considered mandatory for H3s =\

Washers probably like having damage up to make the main weapon stronger. DTM gamer recommends defense up in order to avoid trades, since the range is good but enemy nzaps/splattershots can still close the distance in like 2 steps.

ChrisD

Think you're right with the Rapid Blaster being the most dependent on perks.

Using Mini Splatlings without Run Speed Up and Ink Resistance is like a completely different weapon. Throw them onto the list of weapons that need specific things to function at their peak. Heavys can get away with a bit of variety due to their long-range though.

StAidan

Honestly, the gear sets you can put together through natural rerolling are easily sufficient to counter any of this specially edited equipment. Sure, every once in a while you'll run into a player who runs 57 points of special charge up or something nuts like that. But I think most of the time, if you're going for uncommon gear, it's not because you can't build an equivalent set through natural rolls -- it's more likely you want to simplify your set construction (i.e., have one hat that works for multiple weapons rather than shuffling stuff around every time you switch weapons), or you simply want gear that has a greater aesthetic appeal to your sensibilities.

Doorman

Honestly, the gear sets you can put together through natural rerolling are easily sufficient to counter any of this specially edited equipment. Sure, every once in a while you'll run into a player who runs 57 points of special charge up or something nuts like that. But I think most of the time, if you're going for uncommon gear, it's not because you can't build an equivalent set through natural rolls -- it's more likely you want to simplify your set construction (i.e., have one hat that works for multiple weapons rather than shuffling stuff around every time you switch weapons), or you simply want gear that has a greater aesthetic appeal to your sensibilities.

This right here is honestly the only reason I've even given consideration to trying out Splathax. I don't mind rolling brand biases and stuff to get the stats I hope for, but the ability to get the bonuses I particularly want and have them on a set of clothing that I think actually looks good and coordinated is a tempting draw...haven't taken that plunge yet, though.

Aldric

Honestly I think the most perk dependent weapons are the Rapid Blasters. It's generally very hard to do anything with them without damage up. After that is..................

Uh I guess Dynamos are pretty strict on the perks that they need? Splattershot Pros as well? Chargers and Splatlings can be fairly strict as well, but not as bad as either of the previously mentioned. Gals and Splattershots generally seem to have the most flexibility, though sometimes they have to wear damage up to cancel out defense up on other players, which itself isn't usually mandatory.

I don't know what perks are generally considered mandatory for H3s =

Washers probably like having damage up to make the main weapon stronger. DTM gamer recommends defense up in order to avoid trades, since the range is good but enemy nzaps/splattershots can still close the distance in like 2 steps.

The Sploosh needs all the mobility perks it can get. Obviously for efficiency but also because it makes it much more fun to play.

Regiruler

Lol. Stay mad at people for altering the random number generator because RNG is indeed bullshit.
Condoning it only makes it worse. You're part of the problem.

These individuals made a choice to hack the console and game. They are completely in the wrong for destroying the closed environment.

Now, this does NOT remove the blame placed at Nintendo. It's their job to clean up this sorry mess, but unfortunately it seems the options to do so at this point, other than jumping ship, are limited.

ffdgh

Now, this does NOT remove the blame placed at Nintendo. It's their job to clean up this sorry mess, but unfortunately it seems the options to do so at this point, other than jumping ship, are limited.

Hey nothing like patching in single slot rerolls and or making spyke cheaper/more reliable can't fix.

I came in here to complain about getting 6 disconnects in a row this morning and see that people are now playing online with mouse and keyboard controls and it just makes me never want to play again. *Sigh*

Regiruler

I came in here to complain about getting 6 disconnects in a row this morning and see that people are now playing online with mouse and keyboard controls and it just makes me never want to play again. *Sigh*

I long for the days where lag and disconnects were the worst to deal with.

Now everyone is wallowing in filth and trying to claim otherwise.

DaBoss

Gear doesn't make up for skill in the game, so it's not something to worry too much about.

DUDE has probably the most unoptimized gear for the longest time, but no one would argue about him not being a good player.

ss-hikaru

I don't mind the rolling/Spyke system. This is not to say I'm think it's a good system or that Nintendo can't do better, but that I do have fun with it. I think triple rerolls are common enough to be an incentive to roll and if not then I can usually get at least 2 of the same sub after a couple of rolls which satisfies me (and I'm always a bit happier if the odd sub is in the middle haha). Getting that elusive triple roll when you've run outta snails and you think 'oh, I'll just spend 30,000 for the hell of it' is a pretty fun feeling. Looking up brand biases to figure out what gear to prioritise rerolling for and laughing at the resulting fashion disaster is also fun. Being able to narrow down the best options for rerolling also helps me because I'm a bit weird and hate having too much choice. And when Spyke gives me something good that wasn't something I wanted it makes me think about ways I could use it and encourages me to try out abilities or weapons I previously gave no thought to.

And while proud isn't quite the right word (since no skill is involved), I feel pretty happy when I get compliments on my nice gear from friends, and when they comment about how they are ordering it from me. Because while triples aren't thaaat hard to come by, getting a triple on particular gear can be. Or used to be. Not anymore :p

I guess I can say all this because I'm not a competitive/high level player.

Disclaimer: I do not have a gambling problem. A Splatoon addiction problem though....

Regiruler

Gear doesn't make up for skill in the game, so it's not something to worry too much about.

DUDE has probably the most unoptimized gear for the longest time, but no one would argue about him not being a good player.
It's not the advantage that worries me. Gear perks are honestly quite negligible compared to weapon differences in certain categories (x will always kill y at z range). But it raises a question of legitimacy that we shouldn't have to deal with.

And not having to reroll gear is the small fry of the bunch compared to rank setting, illegal gear, and possibly even impossible modifications. It's all a mess.

ss-hikaru

I'm having problems with Splatnet, wondering if anyone else has come across the same problem. When I log in with my main account it only shows one of my friends and not the rest, and when I go to check my Equipment I get the message "If you play Splatoon online with ver. 2.0.0 or later, your equipment will be displayed as well." If I log in with my alt account, everything works fine. I definitely have the latest version of Splatoon....

Regiruler

I'm having problems with Splatnet, wondering if anyone else has come across the same problem. When I log in with my main account it only shows one of my friends and not the rest, and when I go to check my Equipment I get the message "If you play Splatoon online with ver. 2.0.0 or later, your equipment will be displayed as well." If I log in with my alt account, everything works fine. I definitely have the latest version of Splatoon....
I just checked, no issue for me. FWIW I'm on mobile.

And not having to reroll gear is the small fry of the bunch compared to rank setting, illegal gear, and possibly even impossible modifications. It's all a mess.
Doing more than just editing a gear's abilities will generally all get you banned to varying degrees, from 2-week temp bans to console ban. There are exceptions but that's what usually happens. Even just leveling up a gear through hax instead of the old-fashioned way can get you banned IIRC.

ss-hikaru

Are you still able to play on that account?

Yep! Splatnet has actually been broken for awhile on that account but I didn't realise, I thought it was just an issue on mobile. I tried it on desktop yesterday and had the same issues, so logged in with my alt to see if it was a Splatnet issue but my alt worked fine. So it might just be my main account...? It definitely worked before so maybe something got messed up after the most recent update? My bf's account works fine too as do yours and Diego's so it sounds like just me :(
Also i don't think it's related in anyway but I have never done any hacks of any sort

Teammates, you want to know why the other team won?

It's because they recognized that in Tower Control the objective involves getting on the fucking tower my fucking god how are you guys A+

Top Bottom