• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ChrisD

Not right now. I'm sniping.

I died.

Booyah!

That spoiler slayed me.

Splat Zones is the only mode to rank up in without pulling your hair out. It's the only one where one person can actually do all objectives: Kill, Cover, Defend. No pesky "Push Objective" thrown in there.

Ogodei

Splatzones you definitely feel more in control.

I favor Rainmaker ultimately because of the possibility of quick victories. I've run sub-minute blowouts more often than i've been blown out in that timeframe. The rush of planting that thing yourself is something else, too.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I dunno, I've been able to go Hero Mode in Rainmaker. Kill everyone, grab Rainmaker, keep killing everyone until goal is reached

WVW69jPFnhouvIhHkG

Well I managed to get myself back to A50 at least... (I was really close to A- at one point)

I think I need to calm down, as anyone who was in the VC with me earlier can probably confirm. Done for tonight. lol

IGN: Nathan
NNID: PreyingShak
Time Zone: CDT
Previous Experience: I am a professional Yo-Kai Watch 2 player. I am extremely skilled at video games.
Weapon(s): Sloshing Machine (it's so good, it's like a better rapid blaster)
Role: Agresive Flanking

Recruit me pls

I played Splatoon yesterday for the first time in about 8 months. I had a great time, but I'm really disappointed that it's biggest flaws STILL haven't been addressed.

Why the fuck is the two-map rotation system still in place? It was shitty enough at launch when there was only five maps, but there are now SIXTEEN. That's more than enough for them to just select any given random map each time.

Also, why the hell can you still not change your equipment between matches? Quitting out to do so is shit, especially when you want to experimenting with things. Been put in a team you like? Well, I hope you're OK with using the same weapon for god knows how long, because if you want to change to something else, you have to leave that team.

This game would be so much better if they did some trivial tweaks.

jariw

I played Splatoon yesterday for the first time in about 8 months. I had a great time, but I'm really disappointed that it's biggest flaws STILL haven't been addressed.

Why the fuck is the two-map rotation system still in place? It was shitty enough at launch when there was only five maps, but there are now SIXTEEN. That's more than enough for them to just select any given random map each time.

I really like the system now. It means that whenever I boot up the game, I will have at least one map that I haven't played for quite a while. It's much worse that it's still possible to get the same map randomly selected 5 times in a row, even if you stay in the same group of players.

Junahu

Also, why the hell can you still not change your equipment between matches? Quitting out to do so is shit, especially when you want to experimenting with things. Been put in a team you like? Well, I hope you're OK with using the same weapon for god knows how long, because if you want to change to something else, you have to leave that team.
Maps aren't neutral stages, they each have biases towards different gear, which is what players prepare for with a 2 stage rotation. Personally, I'd prefer either a 3 stage rotation or shorter rotations. But I definitely don't want to be forced into literally any map, because that would outright break the balance of the game.

And you can't switch gear in-between public matches because the game wants you to associate a player's name with their current gear, allowing you to slowly learn how to fight or co-operate with them over multiple matches. Locking gear also means the game can push everyone into another match almost immediately.
You CAN switch gear in squads and private matches, so it's not like Nintendo didn't think to add the functionality in.

Moondrop

Banned
Sloshing Machine (it's so good, it's like a better rapid blaster)
Ok, the sloshing machine is pretty sweet. Thanks for the motivation to give it another shot.

But I wouldn't say it's better than the rapid blaster- rather a variation (which is what makes this game so great). The key difference for me is that the slosh can hit people in a much wider area at every point in its trajectory (but for just 38). This provides an ease of use factor at shorter ranges and allows you to hit people around corners. And of course there are trick sloshes over barriers. But if you have sniper-level aim, there's probably a higher skill ceiling with the rapid blaster.

As to the question of builds, you can't hit 99.9 with 57 points of damage up. I'm thinking a healthy amount of special duration up to extend bomb rush. Perhaps bomb range up/special duration up?

...When I mentioned the Sloshing Machine, I was trying to think of the worst base weapon I possibly could that everyone I know considers to be bad....... But okay guys. :p

ryechu

Same to you (+Nico and Ryechu). They were fun!

After dropping out from the lobby, I decided to throw on the dumbest looking build and run with it in Ranked lol. Both the win and loss animations are just great when you look like this:

ggs. during that set of games i thought you were a random that was in the room.

Moondrop

Banned
Yeah I concur that H-3 and Inkbrush are bottom tier. Too many times with each you find yourself splatted and saying, "If I just had any other weapon..."

I've done nothing but test weapons and builds in TW since hitting S. Overall the balance is amazing, but someone has to be at the bottom.

So many things to try before returning to the Ranked rat race:
- Test aerosprays again and see if they're as bad in combat as I remember.
- Test special duration bomb rush builds.
- Develop a new custom jr support build. Focus on disruptors or echo?

Regiruler

H-3 is fantastic should you actually know how to use it.

Great ink area/cost ratio for its range. It's cheaper and wider than squiffer.

Moondrop

Banned
H-3 isn't fantastic. I've played it extensively. It's viable, because the game is well balanced.

Yes, it's actually a great inker. But it's outranged by many weapons and outflanked by the rest.

It's worse at combat than the squiffer because the squiffer uses a "laser" rather than a projectile to make contact. By which I mean it travels instantly and can hit moving targets with a bit of prediction. Due to the speed of its projectiles, you can only hit someone with all three globs of the H-3 if they're stationary or moving directly at you or directly away.

Regiruler

H-3 isn't fantastic. I've played it extensively. It's viable, because the game is well balanced.

Yes, it's actually a great inker. But it's outranged by many weapons and outflanked by the rest.

It's worse at combat than the squiffer because the squiffer uses a "laser" rather than a projectile to make contact. By which I mean it travels instantly and can hit moving targets with a bit of prediction. Due to the speed of its projectiles, you can only hit someone with all three globs of the H-3 if they're stationary or moving directly at you or directly away.
You can hit all 3 on a moving target with enough practice and the right calibration.

And you're underselling its inking ability given that its range lets it double as support (similar to bamboozler, albeit slightly slower but wider).

Geg

Official art celebrating the 1 year anniversary

CjgUxeRUkAEnIkz.jpg:large

Also Japan is getting another Wii U bundle in July, this one with the Callie/Marie amiibos

CjgV9m4UgAAf8Wk.png:large

Top Bottom