• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

phanphare

Banned
maybe it's different for higher level team play but in solo A to A+ I love saltspray zones. it's a good map for being a solo rapid blaster deco player, lots of spots on the map to be effective

This is why I wish American English and English English Splatoon had the same dialogue! For me the team would be spamming 'to me!', which wouldn't make sense!

After watching some footage of the European version, man, that translation is really dry. It doesn't fit with the mood of the game at all.

Azure J

11:30-12:06 & 33:07-33:16 (sprinkler+pecks OP) are why Splatoon needs play of the game. :p

When you outmaneuvered all of that I was there in my seat like "WHY DOESN'T THIS GAME HAVE SPECTATOR MODES?!"

Seriously, even if it's a relatively small speck in all of the Splat-verse, GAFHouse V was as intense a tournament as any other.

I'm noticing an odd trend during Rainmaker.

If my team makes a really hard push and they kill all of us, they'll Squidbag. Great that you feel good about that kill but my boys are at 2 points left while you guys have yet to get on the board.

They probably get too confident in that with everybody out and not in position to defend they can make the ez reversal?

I just went back and did some single player missions just for the heck of it, and if you haven't replayed the final boss fight, you need to do that ASAP. The dialogue between Agents 1 and 2 and granpda is totally different to reflect the fact that gramps allowed Octavio to escape and they're just not in the mood to deal with their senile grandpa right now.

Regiruler

I just went back and did some single player missions just for the heck of it, and if you haven't replayed the final boss fight, you need to do that ASAP. The dialogue between Agents 1 and 2 and granpda is totally different to reflect the fact that gramps allowed Octavio to escape and they're just not in the mood to deal with their senile grandpa right now.

This knowledge is old as dirt.

Sagitario

I just saw the news about Vol. 2 of Sheldon's Picks, I'm sad about no new Dual Squelcher.

It's my favorite weapon and after the Echolocator nerf, I was expecting something for Vol. 2 because I've been using it less lately. It needs some buffs, either faster fire rate or less number of hits to splat, since Squelcher + latency do not play nice.

I played Tower Control over the weekend [it had been a while since I last tried ranked battles]... everything was rollers and blasters <dolan.jpg>
I particularly hate those two families of weapons because it feels they don't have to aim well to splat, it's mostly people just spamming ink with Damage Up.

Alright, Splattershot Pro users, listen carefully:

You.
Are.
Long.
Range.
Not.
Short.
Range.
Find.
Vantage (That's French for "highest platform").
Point.
Or.
Hide.
Stop.
Solo.
Pushing.
Forward.
You.
Fucks.

Alright, Splattershot Pro users, listen carefully:

You.
Are.
Long.
Range.
Not.
Short.
Range.
Find.
Vantage (That's French for "highest platform").
Point.
Or.
Hide.
Stop.
Solo.
Pushing.
Forward.
You.
Fucks.
"What do you mean? It's a Splattershot Pro, so it's just an upgrade from the Tentatek and I play it the same way right? Since it has Pro in the name, isn't it for pro players like me?"

Oh. Well, uh

How 'bout that new Moray Towers! I tried to sneak up the side today but when I got there there was a big ol' ramp just inviting me to go right on up! How long has that thing been there?
It's pretty nice right? It got placed in I think the 2.6 update? It also modified arrowana mall to have more turf to ink in turf wars

Moondrop

Banned
Been checking the Splatoon tumblr like the Dojo days...

Range blaster so different than basic. Two tags much harder but direct hits proportionately more potent. But as many noted, hard to imagine set as good as custom (unless bubble).

"What do you mean? It's a Splattershot Pro, so it's just an upgrade from the Tentatek and I play it the same way right? Since it has Pro in the name, isn't it for pro players like me?"

Dude, I was at S 97...I was almost free! And then "Zonko" the clown comes in with a Berry Pro and goes 0-12. Hour later of jumping around rooms I end at S 65, right where I started.

Orgen

Stupid question coming! (and I'm sure this has been discussed before) I was thinking about what other 2 sentences/expressions could Nintendo add in the 2 slots remaining. Here's my top 5:

1.- Get on the f***ing tower!!!
2.- Leave the Rainmaker to me
3.- Paint something!!!
4.- Sorry!
5.- Protect me!

So Splat-GAF, what would you add?

Stupid question coming! (and I'm sure this has been discussed before) I was thinking about what other 2 sentences/expressions could Nintendo add in the 2 slots remaining. Here's my top 5:

3.- Paint something!!!
4.- Sorry!
5.- Protect me!

"Watch out!"
"All clear!"

EDIT ahh, great minds

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Dear god, these two please.

I love when I have to fight for the Rainmaker with people who stand there and shoot for 30 continuous seconds and/or run immediately to their death. Also when I finally get it ONE TIME and make more progress than they did in their 3-4 attempts, Jesus.

Orgen

This, or alternatively, "My bad!"

And I don't think 1 or 3 are necessary. Whiners blaming their teammates already spam, "C'mon" (at least in the NA translation).

How about, "I've got it!" as a positive version of 1 and 2.

I was "half-joking" with the tower comment. I know that Nintendo will never put such comment in the game...

But now that you mention the NA translations: What are they? "C'mon" and "Booyahh"? In Spanish we have "Genial!" (that should be the Booyahhh equivalent) and "Aquí!" that means "Here!". So I'm a little confused seeing your "C'mon" comment because is not related whatsover with "Here!" :|

NoA's localization using "C'mon" instead of something that better relates to "To Me!" or a message of "Let's Go!" is honestly, the only really stupid thing they have done when doing their work.

"C'mon" sounds more like a taunt used for Sonic in Smash Bros. and insult the enemy after you kill them, not something used to help teammates increase awareness of the match and tell them to push. Doesn't help that "Booyah!" also sounds like a taunt you use when you kill someone.

Moondrop

Banned
I was "half-joking" with the tower comment. I know that Nintendo will never put such comment in the game...

But now that you mention the NA translations: What are they? "C'mon" and "Booyahh"? In Spanish we have "Genial!" (that should be the Booyahhh equivalent) and "Aquí!" that means "Here!". So I'm a little confused seeing your "C'mon" comment because is not related whatsover with "Here!" :|
Yeah, those are the NA English words. In other languages the command "Here!" or "To me!" Is very specific. But in NA English the phrase "Come on" can mean, "What are you thinking?" And when a turf war is going badly and someone starts spamming it as they leave spawn, I interpret it as them blaming the rest of us for the situation. I've seen it a fair bit in the region-locked splatfests.

I actually prefer "C'mon!" to "To me!" just because of how versatile it is. I've seen it used to communicate the following:

Get it together!
We can do this!
Put the damn Rainmaker on the platform!
Follow me!

Whereas "To me!" just means... to me.

And "Booyah!" has grown on me. I thought it was pretty dumb at first, but it provides a nice sense of camaraderie between a team of randoms. I don't think "Nice!" could really convey the same effect.

C'mon is a direct translation of what's used in the Japanese version, &#12459;&#12514;&#12531;

I think this example shows the problem with direct translations pretty well.

L95

I like the way C'mon sounds, but I agree it doesn't always express what I mean ("Jump to me dammit"), I'm good with Booyah though.

Dude, I was at S 97...I was almost free! And then "Zonko" the clown comes in with a Berry Pro and goes 0-12. Hour later of jumping around rooms I end at S 65, right where I started.

I forgot to comment on this but with a name like Zonko you know you were going to be in for a rough time.

Moondrop

Banned
I actually prefer "C'mon!" to "To me!" just because of how versatile it is. I've seen it used to communicate the following:

Get it together!
We can do this!
Put the damn Rainmaker on the platform!
Follow me!
I agree that versatility is best in principle. Though I wish there was a phrase that captured 2&4 but not 1&3. The line between blame and encouragement is thin. Triforce's suggestion of "Let's go!" probably best straddles it with the we/us pronoun.

So those are my four:
- Let's go!
- I've got it!
- Sorry/My bad/Oops!
- Booyah!

3.- Paint something!!!
4.- Sorry!
5.- Protect me!

Put me down for "Watch out!" and "Charged!"or "Ready!" to indicate that someone has special ready like Bubbler or Kraken.

J@hranimo

Banned
If "C'mon!" and "Booyah!" weren't the only phrases we could use C'mon wouldn't be an issue, localization or not.

I wish they added at least two more emotes. We need a general "this area is safe!" one and "I need help!" Even with the fast paced nature of the game I think those two additions would help team coordination tremendously.

Also ayy lmao we're still talking about this same issue a year later :D

I agree that versatility is best in principle. Though I wish there was a phrase that captured 2&4 but not 1&3. The line between blame and encouragement is thin. Triforce's suggestion of "Let's go!" probably best straddles it with the we/us pronoun.

So those are my four:
- Let's go!
- I've got it!
- Sorry/My bad/Oops!
- Booyah!

I don't think a "Sorry!" phrase would really add anything. Apologizing to your teammates isn't telling them anything useful, so I'd replace that with "Watch out!" or "All clear!"

abd

Not great quality, but this is how close final the game in GAFhouse 5 was.

LFmUOW2.png

CS6bmqb.png

https://gfycat.com/EagerFairIrishredandwhitesetter

Azure J

Diego snatching away another big GAFHouse moment from a team I'm on with some divine will level shit. lmao

*Will never forget the inkstrike quad on Blackbelly TC*

Junahu

I don't think a "Sorry!" phrase would really add anything. Apologizing to your teammates isn't telling them anything useful, so I'd replace that with "Watch out!" or "All clear!"
It communicates regret or personal failure. It's important that your teammates know when you're having trouble, or have died and left a route completely open. All phrases show your relative location, so having a "sorry" would let people know when and where bad things are happening.

It communicates regret or personal failure. It's important that your teammates know when you're having trouble, or have died and left a route completely open. All phrases show your relative location, so having a "sorry" would let people know when and where bad things are happening.
Currently after you die you have to use Booyah!

Which is kinda really fucking weird if you think about it.

Doorman

The only real issue I have with the current system is that Booyah (or "Nice!" for the EU/JP territories) is meant to denote success or act as a morale booster for the team, but it's currently the only means of communication you have after being splatted, which means it's saddled with the dual use of warning teammates about possible approaching threats. They can fix this in two ways, and frankly either direction they wanted to go would be okay with me:

1. Add a different callout to be usable post-death instead of Booyah (Like an "ouch!" or "I'm down!" or basically anything else of that ilk). That way Booyah can be saved while alive to praise positive performances, as originally intended while retaining the ability to give warnings with a greater degree of accuracy and less potential confusion.

2. Remove the ability to "Booyah!" after death. Yes, this means no warning teammates about flanks and gives a bit more of an advantage to stealthy attackers, but again it brings the Booyah itself back around to its original purpose and limits confusion.

I personally would much prefer the first option, since we have unused control pad buttons anyway, but the choice is there should they want it. I think we'll get some stronger communication options in the inevitable sequel, regardless.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Currently, the main way I use Booyah/Nice, and have seen used by many other players, is that one ping = "Morale Booster" (Great work! Nice shot/save etc), whilst spamming multiple pings in quick succession = "I died here so watch out/be careful". It works fine when everyone else is on the same page (such as squads) but can understandably be confusing in random pubs. I'm really liking some of the suggestions being put out by people here; "Let's Go!" and "Special ready" would be really useful in Ranked modes; even just a little more ability to improve coordination would be great.

Strangely, "To me!" has actually been really useful in certain situations in Rainmaker to let the carrier know to follow me because I am clearing a path for them, rather than have them recklessly charge into the unsafe oblivion on their own. At least, it seems to have worked despite the variance in different versions. >_>

Top Bottom