• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Sagitario

Since the changelog doesn't mention most missing stages (Port Mackerel TC, Saltspray Rig TC+RM, Blackbelly Skatepark RM), I guess they're… gone forever from Ranked rotation??

Why would they do something like that instead of fixing what's wrong?
Lazy devs!

At least, there's a little chance that Piranha Pit RM comes back… hopefully.

There is an official English changelog already?

What's the issue with those stages?

rulerk1

Since the changelog doesn't mention most missing stages (Port Mackerel TC, Saltspray Rig TC+RM, Blackbelly Skatepark RM), I guess they're… gone forever from Ranked rotation??

Why would they do something like that instead of fixing what's wrong?
Lazy devs!

At least, there's a little chance that Piranha Pit RM comes back… hopefully.

werent those banned because of abusive? Blackbelly RM and Pirahna RM were actually in the rotation somewhat recently. Pirahna RM was two weeks ago I think. I wish they were more often tho cause some map/mode combos need to retire (like Museum Zones)

rulerk1

It was awesome the first time couple of times and now its played out. That and I can use rapid blaster deco like at all on the map.

phanphare

Banned
It was awesome the first time couple of times and now its played out. That and I can use rapid blaster deco like at all on the map.

I main the rapid blaster deco for splat zones and I find that museum zones is a perfect fit for the weapon

so many spots to wreak havoc

rulerk1

I main the rapid blaster deco for splat zones and I find that museum zones is a perfect fit for the weapon

so many spots to wreak havoc

Teach me your ways. I can't stand on the upper platforms because I'll get snipped and the lower areas are to close to outrange enemies. I can wreck havoc if there isn't a sniper on the other team tho lol

GWX

Oh man, I thought the patch was going to be up today :( Welp, delaying excitement for tomorrow then. I just want that buffed Rapid Blaster Pro!

When using rapid deco on SZ museums, staying on the edge of the main platforms is usually a bad place anyway from my experience. Even if there aren't any chargers on the other team, enemies can still hit you from underneath from your trench. Other blasters in particular will harass you endlessly.

I don't quite remember my rapid deco opening on SZ museum at this point =\ all I remember is that, if there's a charger on the opposing team, going far left over your platform or towards your drop off are the better options, because you'll usually not be facing the charger directly, which gives you a chance to harass. You have to make you way over quickly though, because if you're too slow, you won't get off your drop off in time before the other enemies touch down in that area, and then you're very easy to pick off if you try to come down that way. The small hallway that snipers usually take might be useful, since enemies can only get in on you from one direction, and you can cover that. It would also double as a way to block off or be alerted to enemies that try to flank from that position.

phanphare

Banned
Teach me your ways. I can't stand on the upper platforms because I'll get snipped and the lower areas are to close to outrange enemies. I can wreck havoc if there isn't a sniper on the other team tho lol

my favorite spot to chill is when you jump to the right of the spawn and go down right next to the other team's raised platform. I make sure all the walls and that one block are inked on the lower section so I can be as mobile as possible and have as many evading routes as possible. but I basically just stay mobile down there and shoot sideways at the other team up on their platform, sometimes I'll come out into the zone to hit someone up there, throw suction bombs over their rotating thingy, and just stay alert. if someone is at the lowest point in front of the zone it's easy to get a good angle to shoot at them and if they want to approach you'll have your chances to splat them before they get to you. if not just drop down to that lower level, maybe leave a suction bomb there, and then swim up one of the walls you've inked and get some distance to blast them.

also the opposite side is a good place to post up as well. you can throw a suction bomb up at the high left entrance to keep part of inked. that way you'll know if someone is coming that way. then the platform to the right is a good one to keep an eye on. you can keep the front inked so it's easy to swim up and off real quick. that way you can shoot at the other team's main platform in front of the zone or shoot at whoever is coming that way from their spawn.

so yeah, I basically just chill on either side of the map in a sort of hyper mobile flanking position and take the opportunities that present themselves

I wish I had a visual aid for all that lol, the only map I could find wasn't accurate for the splat zones layout

When using rapid deco on SZ museums, staying on the edge of the main platforms is usually a bad place anyway from my experience. Even if there aren't any chargers on the other team, enemies can still hit you from underneath from your trench. Other blasters in particular will harass you endlessly.

I don't quite remember my rapid deco opening on SZ museum at this point =\ all I remember is that, if there's a charger on the opposing team, going far left over your platform or towards your drop off are the better options, because you'll usually not be facing the charger directly, which gives you a chance to harass. You have to make you way over quickly though, because if you're too slow, you won't get off your drop off in time before the other enemies touch down in that area, and then you're very easy to pick off if you try to come down that way. The small hallway that snipers usually take might be useful, since enemies can only get in on you from one direction, and you can cover that. It would also double as a way to block off or be alerted to enemies that try to flank from that position.

yeah that's pretty much what I do. my opening is to go right at the spawn to that drop off and shoot sideways at their main platform while also inking that whole area up for mobility

Regiruler

werent those banned because of abusive? Blackbelly RM and Pirahna RM were actually in the rotation somewhat recently. Pirahna RM was two weeks ago I think. I wish they were more often tho cause some map/mode combos need to retire (like Museum Zones)

You'll take museum splat zones from my cold dead hands

ss-hikaru

Heavy Splatling Remix! Collaboration with ABXY/Chirpy Chirps (if I got the name right). Sprinkler + Killer Wail. Yay!

Aerospray PG...Burst Bombs + Kraken?

Edit: So to promote/buff underused weapons just give Kraken? LOL

J@hranimo

Banned
Well the Aerospray is still widely used in turf....ranked maybe the silver aerospray can be successful.

Overall the weapons in Vol. 2 are all good kits.

Heavy Splatling Remix gives it its own sprinkler/special kit that you can hold for area denial (or for I'll use it for if the opportunity begs itself: bait the Hydra bubble and WAIL EM!)

Aerospray PG is pretty much the perfect progression of that weapon. Short range, highest fire rate, excellent at covering turf...so give it a burst bomb to continue that playstyle. Also it helps to mitigate its ttk and strange spread. Also lol kraken it's the best special in this game why not.

Hopefully these are the final FINAL weapons we get so they can work on the sequel for the NX. Can't wait for tomorrow night!

Jims

Geez, and I thought the new N-Zap could be an amazing Kraken builder. Things might get silly.

Seems like the kind of weapon they might put in medium special depletion, though.

Doorman

Hopefully these are the final FINAL weapons we get so they can work on the sequel for the NX. Can't wait for tomorrow night!

Nah the hell with that, son. I still want my debilitator Octobrush.

I'm really annoyed by most of volume 2's set (and vol 1 to an extent, now that we've seen both sets in totality) for the fact that literally none of these weapons feel particularly fresh or interesting...the focus for most of these sets seems to be almost entirely gearing them for aggressive play rather than finding unique ways to promote alternative playstyles. Bombs and krakens for everyone! It makes those weapons stronger...but boring.

Of the 9 weapons in this set (if you include both scoped and unscoped Bento), 4 of them come with walls as a sub. Two come with burst bombs, one with splat bombs, one sprinkler, and one point sensor. No mines, no disruptors, no seekers, no beakons. I said it in the Discord channel while everything was still in speculation that if none of the volume 2 sets contained mines, then I consider it as Nintendo's official admission that inkmine is a totally worthless sub that they have zero interest in making viable, and I'm saddened that it turned out to be true. Volume two contains a lot of weapons that I look at and can say "yeah, that will be a good weapon" in the competitive sense, but for me, honestly none of them appeal. None of them are really that unique or fun to promote alternative playstyles. The CoroCororoller might be the oddest one, but a lot of the rest of them either feel redundant, or simply play right into the existing meta. Bleh.

ss-hikaru

I'm really annoyed by most of volume 2's set (and vol 1 to an extent, now that we've seen both sets in totality) for the fact that literally none of these weapons feel particularly fresh or interesting...the focus for most of these sets seems to be almost entirely gearing them for aggressive play rather than finding unique ways to promote alternative playstyles. Bombs and krakens for everyone! It makes those weapons stronger...but boring.

Of the 9 weapons in this set (if you include both scoped and unscoped Bento), 4 of them come with walls as a sub. Two come with burst bombs, one with splat bombs, one sprinkler, and one point sensor. No mines, no disruptors, no seekers, no beakons.

I agree, so many damn krakens, welp I'm getting pretty good at running away from em now I guess. I honestly was hoping for heavy splatling with beacon, I thought maybe it could be used like some of those cool sniper repositioning vids I've seen and make quick super jump an ability I would actually try to use. Maybe it wouldn't pan out as I envision but it would be fun to play around with and try (along with the use beacon as a shield trick). At least it gets killer wail, I don't use many weapons with that special so will feel kinda fresh to me.

Moondrop

Banned
The devs at least managed to add some new sub/special combos. Burst/wail- control? Wall/echo- altruism? Wall/zooka- turret? Wall/bubble- tank?

I'll give the cherry a serious go, but my excitement is tempered by the wall sub. Takes forever to deploy in a firefight, and if you throw it preemptively then you've lost the element of surprise. I wonder if you can go shoot-wall-shoot to work around the H3's firing cooldown...

DaBoss

A lot of the new weapons just make disruptors better, especially the ones with walls.

A lot of the weapons already disturb the meta, it's just they require more effort and leave little room for mistakes.

Kito

The best thing about Volume 2 is the Bento Splatterscope, but as with splatlings and rollers, I suck with a class's medium range. I use Hydra/Mini or Dynamo/Carbon over Heavy/Krak-On.

I said it in the Discord channel while everything was still in speculation that if none of the volume 2 sets contained mines, then I consider it as Nintendo's official admission that inkmine is a totally worthless sub that they have zero interest in making viable, and I'm saddened that it turned out to be true.

There's currently only 5 weapons with ink mine, but there's also only 5 weapons with beakon.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
There is an official English changelog already?

What's the issue with those stages?

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14842/~/how-to-update-splatoon

Nintendo said:
Version 2.8.0

Weapons and Gear Added
Eight new weapons have been added and will now appear in the weapon shop.
Weapons will be available in the weapon shop after viewing the Inkopolis News on 6/8 from 11:00 AM (PT) onward.
Two new pieces of gear have also been added and will now appear in their respective shops.

Weapon and Gear Ability Balancing
Adjustments have been made to specifications for certain Main and Sub weapons, and gear abilities.
More information coming soon!

Stage Adjustments
Arowana Mall: Adjustment made to prevent players from taking unintended shortcuts in all modes.
Bluefin Depot: Fixed an issue that allowed players to move inside certain objects in Rainmaker mode.
Camp Triggerfish: Adjusted the size of the “Don’t retreat!” warning zone near team starting areas.
Piranha Pit: Adjustment made to prevent players from taking unintended shortcuts in all modes.

Multiplayer Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue that allowed players to jump higher than intended when touching an opponent’s Splash Wall.

Other
Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

ffdgh

An aero spray with burst bombs and kraken? With this and the new zap splatfest is going to be interesting to say the least...woo boy.

Doorman

There's currently only 5 weapons with ink mine, but there's also only 5 weapons with beakon.

I didn't realize the numbers were so similar there, but it definitely feels like the beakon weapons tend to get a lot more visibility and usage compared to the mine weapons.

Rapid Blaster, New Squiffer, Aero RG, Luna Blaster...oh, and Inkbrush Nouveau. Of those, the RG still shows up enough in turf wars, and Luna for the occasional tower control match, but the other three make appearances rarely, if ever. Outside of the Aerospray I'd say that probably all of the beakon weapons show up more frequently, at least in my experience.

I know that a lot of my frustration is mired in my own personal hopes being dashed moreso than any excuses about disrupting the meta, but I guess it boils down to me not thinking that the most common complaints are really going to be addressed or changed much with this new release. If anything the complaints about kraken cheese are only going to grow now that you have two more competitively-viable weapons getting added into the mix. Run speed N-Zap 83s are going to be everywhere, especially in the early goings after volume 2's release.

Are you sure that you aren't mixing that up with private matches? Unless this website is wrong, all these stages have been totally absent from the Ranked rotation for several months. Last seen:

Saltspray Rig, Blackbelly Skatepark & Piranha Pit Rainmaker: January 2016
Port Mackerel & Saltspray Rig Tower Control: September 2015 (!!)

Regiruler

Are you sure that you aren't mixing that up with private matches? Unless this website is wrong, all these stages have been totally absent from the Ranked rotation for several months. Last seen:

Saltspray Rig, Blackbelly Skatepark & Piranha Pit Rainmaker: January 2016
Port Mackerel & Saltspray Rig Tower Control: September 2015 (!!)

I want saltspray TC to come back. That mode is a ton of fun.

I don't understand why no port mackerel TC given that the rainmaker is far less fun.

Here's my build to optimize the Wall part of the Corocoro Roller:
WVW69jR1zS83ticrjy

Jims

Played a few Turf Wars with a number of the new weapons. I play mostly the long-ranged stuff (Sloshers, Squelchers, Pros) so my experiences with the short-ranged stuff are probably extremely dubious.

N-ZAP '83 - This weapon seems really good, even though I am awful with it. Cranking some Run Speed on it is great, of course. I was kind of disappointed that it doesn't build Kraken faster than it does... It feels like the kind of aggressive weapon that takes Special Saver better than Special Charge. I liked putting a smidge of Bomb Range up as well for those Point Sensors.

Aerospray PG - For the first two games, I couldn't figure out what Burst Bombs actually give this weapon. The third game went a lot better (went 8/0) when I was using the bombs as a mid-ranged approach and a baiting/poking tool. They're a good tool for approaching N-ZAPs and Tentateks in particular. Aerospray PG attacks seem so spazzy and chaotic with that Burst Bomb opening. Feels like a weapon where you gotta be creatively aggressive and not just try to jam people.

(I admit, it felt really weird playing an Aerospray after all this time. Forgot that distinct crackling sound it makes when it hits.)

CoroCoro Splat Roller - I don't play Splat Rollers at all but I do like me some Splash Walls, so it was an interesting experiment. I feel like there's some potential here for some scary mindgames and ambushes, but I could never set one up properly. The Walls were good for 2v1 and buying time but couldn't do much else with them. Interesting weapon, though.

Cherry H-3 Nozzlenose - Oh man, this feels like the "Learn How to Play The H-3" weapon. I played a decent amount of L3D, but I feel like such a dope trying to aim with this thing. I love how the Splash Walls and the Bubbler seem designed to maximize the number of chances you get. Really makes the learning curve a lot gentler with this thing. A lot of my encounters turned into, "Hold on, wait a sec, I swear I can hit you with this thing" and then eventually (sometimes) doing so. I can imagine there might be a really scary and seasoned H-3 player who loves this thing already. I set it up to maximize walls and Bubbler, but I wonder if run speed is good on the H-3 as well?

Grim Range Blaster - I think this was my favorite. I play a little CRB from time to time but I always feels so naked and vulnerable without my Kraken ready. Having a higher level of mobility on this version is a godsend in tough spots. The Burst Bombs are an interesting alternative to the blasts when approaching... You can hit different angles and they're good in the wide-open areas. I wonder if people run a lot of Damage Up on this? I know blasters like Damage Up in general sometimes, but I kinda preferred stacking all that Ink Saver Sub and getting another bomb. The Burst->Blast combo is so dependent on getting a direct Burst. I may as well try to direct 'em, at that point.

Didn't play the Sploosh, Splatling, or the Chargers. Those would've gone worse than the Roller.

Regiruler

For those that are decent with inkzooka, the Corocoro seems outright better than krak-on in terms of combat. I've always felt krakons were the worst beakon users.

My verdict on the Corocoro ATM, as someone who has 45K inked with it so far, 399K with the vanilla, and 164K with the Krak-On:

In Splat Zones and Rainmaker, it's great. In Tower Control it varies depending on the map and if your teammates are bloody morons or not. In Turf War it's just too hard on some maps to get Zookas reliably if your teammates aren't suicidal idiots, in which case you're probably going to lose anyways.

I've done a lot of experimenting with the wall, including a strategy that backlot rightfully made fun of me for that we will never bring up again, and like... It definitely has its uses. But mostly it's just there so you can ink shit to build up your Zooka without dying from random shit nearly as often as you do otherwise, and also makes it easier to Zooka without dying if you're not an idiot like me who always forgets to lay down the wall before Zooka'ing. It can also do things like stop people for a bit while you take care of something else quickly, which is very nice, but ultimately your goal is to live long enough to charge up the Zooka. And, well... The wall actually works pretty damn well for that if you use it right and don't accidentally send it spiraling over the edge of a cliff while Azure snipes your incompetent ass. It's kind of ass for actual combat though; just run away (w/o wall) and if you're cornered just throw a wall, super jump to home, and hope for the best.

That said, you do need perfect gear to make full use of it IMO. You need either 30-ish SCU, Tenacity, or a combination of the two in order to get Zookas reliably, and you want as much SSU as you can pack aside from that. If you don't have perfect gear you'll either get your Zooka too slowly or miss a lot of KO opportunities because you don't have enough SSU.

Overall, solid weapon and it'll probably be my go-to splat roller from now on. But I'll still be a Dynamo main because BOOM.

Regiruler

Honestly the roller doesn't feel all that unique or different.

There are some weapon varieties that feel fresh to play, this isn't really one of them.

For those that are decent with inkzooka, the Corocoro seems outright better than krak-on in terms of combat. I've always felt krakons were the worst beakon users.

That's because you never played with me :V I main the krak-on roller and worked my ass all the way up to S rank alone.

Top Bottom