• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Jintor

Why design the enemy ink mechanic to completely cripple and block the player's already slow and clumsy humanoid character (getting boxed into your base can happen at the drop of a hat because your whole team is being blocked by enemy ink, feeling helpless isn't very fun)?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you might as well ask why bullets kill you in shooters. It's a fundamental design decision that encourages you to be laying down as much ink as possible!

Why would you create a powerful maneuverable close-quarters melee weapons that can also fling insta kill projectiles?

memories of splatfire lmao

Moondrop

Banned
I have a Japanese friend who when I first starting playing him was running the bolded build (had about equivalent of 4 qsj mains) and it was hilarious to turf with him. When he was on the other team you'd go to try take someone out and they'd zoom off into the sky and you'd be like "ah, so that was Inuyama". Or if he was on your team you'd suddenly see a sj marker appear quickly followed by his inkling and you'd nice him (and he'd nice back) while thinking "hahahah oh hey Inuyama!" and of course this would happen multiple times in a match ^__^

Out of your other builds I would like to try a double splat bomb build for the splattershot junior. I put on some random gear to level up in turf which included 2x ink saver sub mains and found it really fun. Maybe with a bomb range up main could be even more fun :D

I'm not very good at theorycrafting but one 'weird' build I am working on atm is 3x bomb range up main refurbished mini splatling. I'm having a hard time getting used to throwing burst bombs (especially with the increased range) but it is hell funny randomly lobbing one towards a firefight your teammate is in halfway across the map and stealing their kill (or maybe even saving them? XP)

My issue with the QSJ build is that it seems very little time is saved on launch initiation, but rather air travel time (confirmed I believe in this Squid Science video).

Double splat bombs requires 35 points of ink saver sub. I paired that with 10 pts bomb range and 12 ink recovery. It works pretty well for Sploosh7, but for the splattershot jr. I've been testing a build that's 3 parts special charge, 3 parts defense. Pretty solid.

I should give burst bomb rush a devoted build but it seems so much weaker than the splat/suction rushes. I probably don't know how to use it properly. Perhaps a ninja seeker rush build?

Also I want to try 57 pts of bomb range up- but what would you even use it on? Point sensor?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you might as well ask why bullets kill you in shooters. It's a fundamental design decision that encourages you to be laying down as much ink as possible!

It's an annoying mechanic that makes shootouts way more frustrating and stressful than they need to be (specifically in the more competitive modes), and allows crappy players/marksmen to rely on laying down what basically amounts to a deadly floor mat with their bullets.
it's a mechanic that needs to be revised in Splatoon 2 imo; as it is right now the current punishing effects of the enemy ink are overkill when it's so quick and easy to kill other inklings by just shooting them- like, almost every weapon kills you in a few milliseconds even when you successfully stack defense-up abilities; most shoot outs end in mutual splats-.

The inklings are already slow and clumsy in humanoid form despite the increase in speed that two stacked "run speed-ups" gives you; I feel like making the enemy ink significantly slow the player down and weaken them while also disabling their squid form is just too much. And it really shows in the fact that getting completely overwhelmed and helplessly blocked into your base is a very common experience in ranked matches regardless of skill.

I'd honestly really like it if all the enemy ink did was punish you when you try to swim it. Like once you press L your squid swims very slowly, you become weakened, and maybe even disoriented (kind of like what happens with the disruption bomb). It really shouldn't punish the player so severely as an inelegant humanoid.

ss-hikaru

My issue with the QSJ build is that it seems very little time is saved on launch initiation, but rather air travel time (confirmed I believe in this Squid Science video).

Oh is that so? From an opposite players point of view it still seems super fast o_O

Double splat bombs requires 35 points of ink saver sub. I paired that with 10 pts bomb range and 12 ink recovery. It works pretty well for Sploosh7, but for the splattershot jr. I've been testing a build that's 3 parts special charge, 3 parts defense. Pretty solid.

I've kind of given up on defense up....it doesn't seem to help when there is lag involved. I need to think up a good kit for the junior, because I really like it (it was my first main) but I've realised I'm really bad at it ^^;

Also I want to try 57 pts of bomb range up- but what would you even use it on? Point sensor?

Maybe as a support disruptor main? ;P

Thanks for sharing your theorycrafting :)

UffzdoH.jpg

I'M OUT BABY!! FUCKING PAY ME!!

ChrisD

Dang, did Regiruler seriously get perma'd? Surely they didn't do more than a week?

Mic chat is an excellent subject to bring up for outside sources being used in-game, actually. I've never thought of things that way. Not that it changes my resolve of sticking with in-game stuff, but it is very much a valid point to be used in favor of gear editors.

UffzdoH.jpg

I'M OUT BABY!! FUCKING PAY ME!!

You get paid 6.5k in the matches, why do we have to pay you?

Dumb joke out of the way, congrats dude! I know it's been a long time you've wanted that. =)

ChrisD

I doubt he got perma'd. He was banned last Friday so he should be back any day now.

TIL I can't count days. I blame posting that on a half-asleep mindset.

The struggle has been real. Museum Zones wanted to break my soul.

Museum Zones wants to break everyone's soul. What a great map mode combo ruined by over-saturation. I've even switched up weapons to change the pace, but all of my rotation has been used extensively already!

Heavy Remix is still really fun. Forget what abilities I'm wearing, but I think it's Ink Saver Main, Special Charge, and Special Duration. It's an excellent kit that works very well in all modes but Turf War, where it still manages to pull weight.

Moondrop

Banned
I've kind of given up on defense up....it doesn't seem to help when there is lag involved. I need to think up a good kit for the junior, because I really like it (it was my first main) but I've realised I'm really bad at it ^^;
I ride hard for at least one main of defense up. I can't stand being two-shot by gals. Plus these days it makes tentateks a 4HKO. The next breakpoint I've been testing is turning the 28 damage shots (n-zaps, splatlings, jrs) into 5HKOs, which takes about 26 pts of defense. But it's efficacy is questionable because you'll likely take some standing-in-ink damage.

I've just been getting into the Jr. myself recently, but I'm saving that for another post...

Maybe as a support disruptor main? ;P
Yeah, I tried with the rapid blaster pro deco and it was just ok. What actually worked pretty well with 57 pts of bomb range up was heavy splatling deco. Just sit back and chill with total information awareness.

Thanks for sharing your theorycrafting :)
Thank you, but I would post it even if I knew no one cared. :p Pushing the mechanics with creative builds then writing long-winded breakdowns on GAF is what I miss most about MMOs. QQ

ChrisD

Yeah, I tried with the rapid blaster pro deco and it was just ok. What actually worked pretty well with 57 pts of bomb range up was heavy splatling deco. Just sit back and chill with total information awareness.

Wouldn't a better build include some Ink Regen or Sub Saver? I haven't looked at charts in a long while, but I'd think 18 points of either one (or nine of each, depending on curves) would go a long way in keeping everything tagged.

Moondrop

Banned
Wouldn't a better build include some Ink Regen or Sub Saver? I haven't looked at charts in a long while, but I'd think 18 points of either one (or nine of each, depending on curves) would go a long way in keeping everything tagged.
Sure, in general it's best to avoid diminishing returns. For disruptor, I've found half bomb range and half ink recovery is pretty sweet for spamming. But point sensor only takes 40% of the tank, so you can get away with max bomb range.

I would however caution against ink saver sub for spamming either disruptor or point sensor because it works proportionally to the ink cost of the sub. In other words, let's say you wanted to save 10% of your ink tank for each sub used. That would require:
- Point sensor (40%): 28 pts
- Disruptor (50%): 21 pts
- Splat bomb (70%): 14 pts
- Beakon (90%): 10 pts

ChrisD

Sure, in general it's best to avoid diminishing returns. For disruptor, I've found half bomb range and half ink recovery is pretty sweet for spamming. But point sensor only takes 40% of the tank, so you can get away with max bomb range.

I would however caution against ink saver sub for spamming either disruptor or point sensor because it works proportionally to the ink cost of the sub. In other words, let's say you wanted to save 10% of your ink tank for each sub used. That would require:
- Point sensor (40%): 28 pts
- Disruptor (50%): 21 pts
- Splat bomb (70%): 14 pts
- Beakon (90%): 10 pts

Interesting! You've clearly put a lot of time into these things.

Wasn't aware of the proportionate Sub thing, thanks for sharing that. I've actually got quite a few "dead" Sub savers on my Custom Jr, looking at the rates. Will have to change those out to something else the next time I feel like playing it.

Moondrop

Banned
It's that time again (NA)...

tumblr_o8vj84stUV1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

The early bird may get the worm, but the night owl gets like four more hours of sleep and who the heck wants a worm anyways?!?

Head to the plaza tomorrow to cast your vote in the next Splatfest: Early Birds vs. Night Owls. The showdown will start on 6/24 at 9PM PT.

ChrisD

I have to pick Night Owl since here lately 4AM is when I go to bed...

Also American randoms freaking suck. Either passive as * or Superjump into death like Testfire players.

Aldric

It's an annoying mechanic that makes shootouts way more frustrating and stressful than they need to be (specifically in the more competitive modes), and allows crappy players/marksmen to rely on laying down what basically amounts to a deadly floor mat with their bullets.
it's a mechanic that needs to be revised in Splatoon 2 imo; as it is right now the current punishing effects of the enemy ink are overkill when it's so quick and easy to kill other inklings by just shooting them- like, almost every weapon kills you in a few milliseconds even when you successfully stack defense-up abilities; most shoot outs end in mutual splats-.

The inklings are already slow and clumsy in humanoid form despite the increase in speed that two stacked "run speed-ups" gives you; I feel like making the enemy ink significantly slow the player down and weaken them while also disabling their squid form is just too much. And it really shows in the fact that getting completely overwhelmed and helplessly blocked into your base is a very common experience in ranked matches regardless of skill.

I'd honestly really like it if all the enemy ink did was punish you when you try to swim it. Like once you press L your squid swims very slowly, you become weakened, and maybe even disoriented (kind of like what happens with the disruption bomb). It really shouldn't punish the player so severely as an inelegant humanoid.

I'm not sure what you're doing to be so bothered by this mechanic but there's simple ways around it. Use ink resistance perks, use a shooter and learn how to splatdash (repeatedly alternating between shooting the floor and turning into a squid). This allows you to get out of most sticky situations if your reactions and spatial awareness are decent enough.

ChrisD

Second addition to the this sucks pile: There's a squid-partier in Ranked and the American S+ population at this time consists of twenty people, so I keep getting them on my team... While the enemy gets a 57 Damage Inkbrush, or 57 Quick Respawn Jr. Four times and counting.

And I can't escape either by lobby-hopping because there's no one else to play with.

Can't forget to mention the Stage RNG giving me Port nine times in a row now when Warehouse - my favorite - hasn't been given but once.

There's a lot of stupidity to put up with in this game and I sometimes have to question why I play it regardless

Oh hey everyone has a Kraken now, too. That's fun, really. I'm just having a blast.

Why did I let all of my hype and happy from E3 get deflated coming back into Ranked. Why did I not just stay off of this game for a few weeks and keep the happy. I seriously need to just hide my disc somewhere for a month.

J@hranimo

Banned
I've been a Night Owl for the longest time.

Even though the reason to do Splatfest is nowhere near as important as it used to be, I'll play it for old times sake :)

ChrisD

That Night owl makes me think about the annoying animal in the Monster Hunter Generations demo.

What an awesome design ruined by gimmick.

I'm just going to play Splatfest for an hour and see how things go. If it's not an utter disaster like last time I'll go for Queen, but otherwise forget it. I still have loads of SSS in tow, no need for playing when not having fun this go around.

ChrisD

Saw a picture on reddit with the, "I accomplish things!" exchange and smiled a little.
While also crying a little on the inside because it's so true

anyone know why there's a lot of splatoon x mushroom art going around right now? some kind of japanese festa?

Mushroom mountain and bamboo shoots village, chocolate snack. Also this is the first time the team with higher winning rate lose, after the x6 change.

Biske

Why do people not get on the tower in tower control?

You can win so many battles, just by always getting on the tower and squeaking by. Which is impossible to do when you are the only person on the team trying to get on the tower. Its impossible to maintain a daisy chain of controlling the tower if nobody ever gets on it, or super jumps to the person on it.

Same with rainmaker... all you have to do is walk forward. Doesn't matter if you die, we can just break the shield and walk forward more.

You know what doesn't happen if you never get on the tower or walk forward with the rainmaker? You. dont. move. forward.

All these team mates and their elaborate attempts to clear every enemy before trying to make progress. GAH!!! /rant.

EulaCapra

Since I don't see it posted, here's the detailed results for Japan's recent Splatfest:
x6 multiplier continues to be some stupid bullshit. There's a large 26-point difference in popularity and only a slim 4-point difference in win percentage yet there's only a 2-point difference overall. That's some straight up bullshit.

I miss the days of x2 multiplier.

ffdgh

Why do people not get on the tower in tower control?

You can win so many battles, just by always getting on the tower and squeaking by. Which is impossible to do when you are the only person on the team trying to get on the tower. Its impossible to maintain a daisy chain of controlling the tower if nobody ever gets on it, or super jumps to the person on it.

Same with rainmaker... all you have to do is walk forward. Doesn't matter if you die, we can just break the shield and walk forward more.

You know what doesn't happen if you never get on the tower or walk forward with the rainmaker? You. dont. move. forward.

All these team mates and their elaborate attempts to clear every enemy before trying to make progress. GAH!!! /rant.

But but...I want to keep my low death number and my special D:
/s

It frustrates me even more when I take out the last two active opponents with me, and none of my teammates take the rainmaker. I respawned and had to take the rainmaker myself. This was in Kelp Dome so that seven seconds could have won us the match.

Biske

Hah yeah that happens sooo much. People fight so hard to break the shield and then nobody takes it. Can't even count how many times I've been the only one to rush in there and grab it.

Top Bottom