• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Doorman

As a vanilla Sploosh user, I'll claim as I please.

Their uses and roles are slightly different in my eyes anyway. Krak-on without kraken has a harder time invading, I'd think.

I do find it interesting how few beakon-weapons there actually are in the game. Krak-on roller, Octobrush, Sploosh, Custom 3K, and Custom Dual. The CDS is the only beakon weapon anywhere in the "midrange" category, otherwise there are three CQC weapons and one extra-long-range, and I can't help but feel like that's a very conscious choice on the devs' part to make sure that beakon weapons have to play carefully regarding direct encounters with other players.

...Also interesting to think about the fact that three of those five beakon weapons all have kraken as the special, and the other two have wail. Seems like beakons in general wind up with some of the least diversity in the game as far as the kits it's put into. The only thing that feels quite that prevalent would be the point sensor/inkzooka and point sensor/kraken combos.

Favorite Corocoro build by far ATM
WVW69jSCpUo9Nn5TGU

EDIT: If you hax this build in replace the ink recovery with special saver of course. It's just there 'cuz I was too lazy to hax these shoes.

Moondrop

Banned
Finally got to play. First impressions:
- Wall roller: Eh. You have to be pretty creative to block a path with roller, and even then I wonder if it's not better to just hide and splat. If I merely wanted a zooka with my roller I'd pick the carbon.
- Famicom zapper: Solid, as expected. Doesn't blow me away.
- Necro blaster: Pretty sweet. High skill ceiling. I still don't totally get how the main+sub synergize but they do.
- Copper aero: It's actually... kind of deep? It's still basically an easy mode L3D, but it makes you re-evaluate how you use each component- burst bombs for long range, gun for mid, kraken for short.
- Cherry: It's funny that all the defense is supposed to be beginner mode, but unlike the other kits there's nothing to actually help you kill. One option is damage up to get 2 pellets to 99.8. Or perhaps a full support build.
- Sploosh7: Solid or average, depending on your perspective. Like Leonardo in a TMNT game.
- Pastel heavy: I've never been the biggest Wail fan but it works really well here, as it charges quickly and you're generally on the back lines. Pretty cool.
- Grassy charger: I'm a terrible charger. But there's enough here to play support even when I only hit one shot per match. :p

Aldric

l think l like the Sploosh 7 better than the Octobrush Nouveau. It kills faster, it covers turf about the same and it has superior mobility and ink efficiency making it far easier to zone with splat bombs or get out of harm's way when you're facing a bad matchup. The Nouveau might be slightly more reliable with its kills but honestly l was never that bothered by the Sploosh's RNG so it's no big deal.

Kito

I need to double check my sources but I believe whilst Sploosh kills in 13 frames, damage up Octobrush kills in 8 frames.

Regiruler

I need to double check my sources but I believe whilst Sploosh kills in 13 frames, damage up Octobrush kills in 8 frames.
That seems off. Can octo even get more than 2 swings in that short of a timeframe?

EDIT: I got a friend request from someone that says he's a gaffer but found me through reddit even though I haven't posted anything on reddit in years. I got it shortly after posting my NNID here so was that any of you guys?

J@hranimo

Banned
Yeah I think I'm done with solo queue until the next game. Playing solo and witnessing everyone had a Kraken last night really soured me on that aspect of the game. It's cheap and not fun at all.

And at one point I wanted to stream this game so badly lol.

Moondrop

Banned
I just got two kills in my last match with the highest TTK weapon in the game: splash wall. And no kills with the H3 itself. Doing it right?

In case anyone doesn't know, although bomb range up has no effect on splash walls, you can throw them crazy far if done from a height.

Doorman

Lord help me, I'm here at work mentally designing a whole series of color-themed gear builds. I already really like the "Red" set I use with the Sploosh, so why not carry it over?

Finding goods hats is the toughest part, since so many of them change colors each round. I'll do what I can, though.

I got to A+86 with ease earlier but then heat + rotation = yeah stopping. Going to try to get S next time I play.

EDIT: I used Corocoro + my Comeback build for that BTW. I think this is the right direction to take with this weapon because when I die it's usually because my team's being rolled over so being able to come back quickly with a Zooka helps so much, in Rainmaker at least.

Jims

Playing a few more Turf Wars with the Aerospray PG made me realize I kinda missed the carefree early days of mindlessly inking with one. Everyone in Turf plays pretty aggressively to be sure now, but it's kinda relaxing playing such a fast-inking weapon again. Trying to get those short-range burst combos is fun.

Fun weapon. Could see a couple different kinds of builds run on it. Ran a special charge mobility version that was fun, but also ran one with some bomb range and sub saver that was surprisingly good at zoning.

Aldric

That's for a 3HKO Octobrush without damage up.

No, it's the maximum ttk of the weapon with two hits. It kills in 17 frames or 0.216 second at best, same as the .96. l'm pretty sure people would have noticed if damage up Octobrush splatted almost twice as fast as the fastest killing weapon in the game.

Moondrop

Banned
Fun weapon. Could see a couple different kinds of builds run on it. Ran a special charge mobility version that was fun, but also ran one with some bomb range and sub saver that was surprisingly good at zoning.

Yeah I'm enjoying it. Been waiting to bring maining burst bombs back. Here are my optimal build calculations:
- 19pts/1main3sub of Ink Saver Sub (only 18 required for 3 bombs but this helps the next step)
- 22pts/1main4sub of Damage Up (2near+1far hits = kill)
- 16pts/1main2sub of your choice (with Copper Aero I'm going 10 Bomb Range Up/6 Ink Recovery Up)

And the best part is there's no one here to call me names for making such a precise build. :p

Yeah I'm enjoying it. Been waiting to bring maining burst bombs back. Here are my optimal build calculations:
- 19pts/1main3sub of Ink Saver Sub (only 18 required for 3 bombs but this helps the next step)
- 22pts/1main4sub of Damage Up (2near+1far hits = kill)
- 16pts/1main2sub of your choice (with Copper Aero I'm going 10 Bomb Range Up/6 Ink Recovery Up)

And the best part is there's no one here to call me names for making such a precise build. :p

I might call you Optimus :p

L95

I haven't been keeping up, do we know when the new Amiibo go up for preorder in the US? Is is it a mystery that happens whenever. (...o-or did it already happen?)

Biske

Finally got my account approved! Was thinking of where my first post should be and since it came out I've played Splatoon more than any other game, so Splatoon it is!

That being said...

It is just me or is using the Aerospray PG (or any Aerospray I suppose) in S Tier Ranked battles the most fun possible? Just feels so silly, I can't resist it.

Finally got my account approved! Was thinking of where my first post should be and since it came out I've played Splatoon more than any other game, so Splatoon it is!

That being said...

It is just me or is using the Aerospray PG (or any Aerospray I suppose) in S Tier Ranked battles the most fun possible? Just feels so silly, I can't resist it.
Hiya Biske! I think most of the conversations regarding Splatoon have moved on to Discord, though if you want to post here we usually respond fairly quickly as well :p Unfortunately I don't have an invite link handy...

That said, Aerospray PG is definitely very challenging to fight. I think a PG user should always have Kraken ready when committing to any fight, just because the main weapon and sub weapon are so useful at turfing as is.

ChrisD

I will say that I pretty much lost all want to play in GAF lobbies after watching a few Azure highlights where... like >50% of the players are using hacked gear.

I hate the RNG. I HATE the RNG. I'm the guy who spent 2 Million trying to get a brand bias triple and ended up with the exact double I started with. I was so peeved.

But I don't agree one bit with hacking gear in. Even save scumming - let me cover all bases here and make certain nobody thinks I'm calling anyone scum; it was called save scumming by everyone - didn't bother me. And I think the reason I was fine with that is that you're going back to something you "legitimately" had. That's it. Sure, you may be going back to something you went back to a dozen times, therefore making it illegitimate, but you still did it through the game. The game's interface, the game's systems.

Meanwhile, with hacked gear - put in through something known as a Gear Editor for pete's sake - you're literally putting things into the game. You can edit whatever you want. You are messing with the code. It's like those Pokemon generators... I hate those so much.

A bit late to jump into this discussion, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to put my word in or not. I also understand that I am definitely the odd one out. But it really sucks, because I wanted to jump back in and see about using Discord more often. To hopefully play some more with SplatGAF. I had some of my funnest online gaming time last year with you guys, and I didn't even play much! It was just really fun.

But between the gear stuff and my general decrease in playing the game, the last time I checked into Discord I had walked in at the perfect time, and the first thing I read was bashing on Regiruler with what was basically equal to what got him banned. "Complete scum" it was not, but toxic behavior, definitely. To be completely honest, I think that drove me away from playing more than gear edits ever could. :/

It's a childish and pathetic batch of reasoning. I know that, and is why it took a while for me to decide on posting or not. But seeing that people are still talking about his banning, I figured I would also throw my word out there.

Also I won't call anyone anything, no matter how much I may disagree with *insert anything here*. I've been called some things in the past (not on here!), and while I've "hardened" against the Internet's horrible show of humanity now, that stuff was depressing to me then. I seriously let words and names get to me.

First thing I want to say, ChrisD, is that I don't want personally drive you off from Splatoon, though I'm afraid that I say below might do so. I currently don't use the gear editor, not because I cannot use it, but I don't think of it as making enough of a difference in how well I play, even if seeing a bunch of shiny gear would be aesthetically pleasing. If you ever jump back into Splatoon, you can jump into a lobby with me and be assured that there're at least 2 players in that lobby that don't have edited gear and we will win over everyone else ;) If for some reason we aren't friended with each other, let me know!

With that said, I guess this may be incredibly naive of me to say, but outside of blatantly illegal combinations, how would I know whether or not the gear that shows up in a match was hacked to begin with? Folks have had pure gear before the gear editor showed up, or at least gear with whatever arbitrary triple of perks. And while I'll very much acknowledge that the perks make a difference in Splatoon, I don't believe that in large quantities, they are as victory defining as what happens in Pokemon, particularly given Pokemon's discrete turn-based combat (with some amount of RNG damage) over Splatoon's frantic real-time combat.

In Pokemon, getting 6 shiny legendaries with perfect IVs/EVs/whatevers has such low probability that it's very unlikely one would get such a stable legitimately. Such a stable would also be an incredibly high advantage as well. My younger brother participated in the Pokemon World Championships, raised and battled with his own sub-OU stable, got into semi-finals, and lost to a guy who openly said he made up the above stable of perfect pokemon the night before. And yes, that's really frustrating and I understand why my younger brother will probably never enter the PWC ever again.

In Splatoon, if I were to get the pure damage gear over what I have now, I'll have gotten 3 more damage subs, which is 9 points of damage up. I think that means my rapid blaster splash deals like 3 more damage then? I guess that could eventually matter, but it would take a very long time or very specific conditions in which that would be the case. I would still need to aim my shots correctly in order to apply the damage at the right time and space; my personal agency still matters quite a bit more than the damage.

The issue people had with Regi was his behavior, not his opinions on haxxing.

Don't worry Chris. You'll be fine since you are a good poster.

P.S. Just to throw this out there, backlot doesn't hax. He's just very, very patient. The gear Regi called me an absolute scum over isn't haxed, either, and it has actually become my main build.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
A bit late to jump into this discussion, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to put my word in or not. I also understand that I am definitely the odd one out. But it really sucks, because I wanted to jump back in and see about using Discord more often. To hopefully play some more with SplatGAF. I had some of my funnest online gaming time last year with you guys, and I didn't even play much! It was just really fun.

But between the gear stuff and my general decrease in playing the game, the last time I checked into Discord I had walked in at the perfect time, and the first thing I read was bashing on Regiruler with what was basically equal to what got him banned. "Complete scum" it was not, but toxic behavior, definitely. To be completely honest, I think that drove me away from playing more than gear edits ever could. :/

It's a childish and pathetic batch of reasoning. I know that, and is why it took a while for me to decide on posting or not. But seeing that people are still talking about his banning, I figured I would also throw my word out there.

First off, I would just like to emphasise the section in your post I have bolded is absolutely not true in my mind. You've taken the time to explain your thoughts as part of a dialogue and discussion on a topic, and that's absolutely fair game. No one is going to think less of you because you disagree with an idea or topic, or at least... I hope no one here will. So please don’t beat yourself up over it.

As for the issue of gear editing/scumming/insert method here, it's definitely a contentious issue, and it always was going to be since day one. The time/effort:reward ratio for rolling gear is absurdly whacked; I once spent 2 hours and about 9 million credits rerolling to get one piece of pure gear, and money is insanely hard to accumulate. It must be stated that for certain abilities in the game, the reward factor is definitely higher (mainly Quick Respawn), which makes it even more confusing. Alas, Pandora's Box was blown wide open once the first scumming methods were discovered, and unfortunately, the situation is so far past that point that the genie is never going back into the bottle.

For some, there will always be that little voice in the back of people's minds that will look to the excuse towards not having the ideal abilities at the time. That the only reason someone managed to trump them on Tower Control Moray with a 47 point QR/Stealth Jump build was because "They had more time to waste sitting in front of a slot machine trying to get it compared to everyone else". Maybe that's true; it's probably not.

If there has been one positive thing out of all of this gear nonsense, it's that once everyone has the gear they want, all johns from the game are removed (bar latency, but such is the beast with online games). Numerous Japanese players based on tweets I have seen over the last few weeks have been all too happy to order this gear to add to their collections, which would bring everything towards the final endgame faster. All that's left now is to actually focus on playing the game and get good; if all this makes everyone focus on improving at the game rather than spending hours in front of a slot machine, then I'm all for it.

As a counterargument to all this, there have been plenty of well-known players in the competitive community (DUDE and Cloudy come to mind) who have the most un-optimised gear ever and still come out on top by miles. Perhaps we have all lost sight of the forest from the trees over time and should have focused on this in the first place; that’s a failing on our part, even if we are starting to get there in the end anyway.

I'm not aiming to convince anyone with any of this, nor am I trying to sugar coat it. All of the mentioned methods are "illegitimate/cheating", but individual tolerance towards the RNG system will result in differing levels of justification towards circumventing it. If you choose to leave us, I understand; the bridge way well be burnt down by now; but it would be a great shame to lose another player given some of the chill turf war/squad games that still happen. Eitherway, the choice is yours, and I will respect it.

Moondrop

Banned
For the record, I do not believe Regiruler deserved to be banned. I'm quite surprised it's seemingly longer than 24 or 48 hours.

But when people talk about what's "legitimate" or the "developer's intentions," these are personal opinions. I'm old enough to remember when the term "cheap" was widely used to describe tactics that were in the game yet honorable players should somehow refrain from employing. I remember the wavedash wars of melee, and how I was told I was playing wrong because it wasn't the developer's intention. Hell, the term "metagame" literally means a "game beyond the game."

I acknowledge that using the Gear Editor is way past those examples. But consider- it seems clear that the "developer's intention" was for Splatoon not to have voice chat. And yet top competitive teams are undoubtedly using voice comms- separate hardware and software from the game's "interface" and "systems." Is anyone going to call them out as playing illegitimately? Which gives a greater competitive advantage- voice comms or hacked perfect gear?

So pardon me if I take everyone's opinions on the correct way to play with a shaker of salt.

ChrisD

First thing I want to say, ChrisD, is that I don't want personally drive you off from Splatoon, though I'm afraid that I say below might do so. I currently don't use the gear editor, not because I cannot use it, but I don't think of it as making enough of a difference in how well I play, even if seeing a bunch of shiny gear would be aesthetically pleasing. If you ever jump back into Splatoon, you can jump into a lobby with me and be assured that there're at least 2 players in that lobby that don't have edited gear and we will win over everyone else ;) If for some reason we aren't friended with each other, let me know!

With that said, I guess this may be incredibly naive of me to say, but outside of blatantly illegal combinations, how would I know whether or not the gear that shows up in a match was hacked to begin with? Folks have had pure gear before the gear editor showed up, or at least gear with whatever arbitrary triple of perks. And while I'll very much acknowledge that the perks make a difference in Splatoon, I don't believe that in large quantities, they are as victory defining as what happens in Pokemon, particularly given Pokemon's discrete turn-based combat (with some amount of RNG damage) over Splatoon's frantic real-time combat.

In Pokemon, getting 6 shiny legendaries with perfect IVs/EVs/whatevers has such low probability that it's very unlikely one would get such a stable legitimately. Such a stable would also be an incredibly high advantage as well. My younger brother participated in the Pokemon World Championships, raised and battled with his own sub-OU stable, got into semi-finals, and lost to a guy who openly said he made up the above stable of perfect pokemon the night before. And yes, that's really frustrating and I understand why my younger brother will probably never enter the PWC ever again.

In Splatoon, if I were to get the pure damage gear over what I have now, I'll have gotten 3 more damage subs, which is 9 points of damage up. I think that means my rapid blaster splash deals like 3 more damage then? I guess that could eventually matter, but it would take a very long time or very specific conditions in which that would be the case. I would still need to aim my shots correctly in order to apply the damage at the right time and space; my personal agency still matters quite a bit more than the damage.

I do have you added. You don't tend to be on when I play though haha. If you are the lobby is usually full (actually, that tends to be the case with most GAFfers I have, for obvious reason that you're all in the same).

And yeah, like I said it's definitely a pathetic reasoning for being annoyed. The stuff can definitely be obtained through completely legit means. You could have some kickbutt gear doing zero re-rolling at all, if the odds worked in your favor. I remember seeing people with 57 Gear in August.

But it was VERY rare. And I think that's kind of one of the big things I miss. As backwards as it sounds, I liked knowing that what people had was rare. Not even my stuff, but everything you came across. See someone with max Damage Up? Man, that was something that got me excited to order. Would Spkye deliver? Hahahahahah probably not. But it was like... repeating myself here, but it was excitement. That's gone now, now I just get annoyed. Cool, got killed by another Tentatek with nothing but RSU and SSU. That's a nice 57 Damage, two E-Liter + Bamboo3. Throw it on the pile, you know?

You also drive a really good point home about how comparatively little gear perks change things in Splatoon, especially compared to Pokemon. I only brought it up because it's the other Editor I refuse to ever use, despite many players thinking it's perfectly okay... And it is, I guess? You know World Champion's definitely didn't EV/IV everything they have by hand, and they're the World Champs! But I can't make myself do so.

The thing that bugs me the most in terms of the game is that it could all be fixed so, so easily with single slot re-rolling. There would still be hacking, but everyone would be able to access the gear they wanted with enough time and a bit of luck.

...And I had intended to write a bit more, but Sony's E3 Conference is about to start and I don't want to leave this reply hanging, lest the tab gets closed after I no doubt forget about it. Think I said most of the stuff I wanted to!

Azure J

Next Splatoon just needs the devs to believe in their core game play and not create a loop of RNG systems to keep people going. The game is fun as hell and a Splatoon 2 with a Paper Mario-esque badge acquisition and handling mechanic themed within the universe would still be hype.

...plus then I can be even more cosmetic/The World Ends With You with the system. :p

I do have you added. You don't tend to be on when I play though haha. If you are the lobby is usually full (actually, that tends to be the case with most GAFfers I have, for obvious reason that you're all in the same).

And yeah, like I said it's definitely a pathetic reasoning for being annoyed. The stuff can definitely be obtained through completely legit means. You could have some kickbutt gear doing zero re-rolling at all, if the odds worked in your favor. I remember seeing people with 57 Gear in August.

But it was VERY rare. And I think that's kind of one of the big things I miss. As backwards as it sounds, I liked knowing that what people had was rare. Not even my stuff, but everything you came across. See someone with max Damage Up? Man, that was something that got me excited to order. Would Spkye deliver? Hahahahahah probably not. But it was like... repeating myself here, but it was excitement. That's gone now, now I just get annoyed. Cool, got killed by another Tentatek with nothing but RSU and SSU. That's a nice 57 Damage, two E-Liter + Bamboo3. Throw it on the pile, you know?

You also drive a really good point home about how comparatively little gear perks change things in Splatoon, especially compared to Pokemon. I only brought it up because it's the other Editor I refuse to ever use, despite many players thinking it's perfectly okay... And it is, I guess? You know World Champion's definitely didn't EV/IV everything they have by hand, and they're the World Champs! But I can't make myself do so.

The thing that bugs me the most in terms of the game is that it could all be fixed so, so easily with single slot re-rolling. There would still be hacking, but everyone would be able to access the gear they wanted with enough time and a bit of luck.

...And I had intended to write a bit more, but Sony's E3 Conference is about to start and I don't want to leave this reply hanging, lest the tab gets closed after I no doubt forget about it. Think I said most of the stuff I wanted to!
Ah. Well, for better or worse, I'm now participating with a clan, and so my free time with Splatoon is usually spent with them so that at least we get to know each other :p Sometimes these sessions take awhile, but if you're still around by 10pm Pacific time at night, then I think we're usually done by then, and I do want to continue playing for a little bit if I'm not too tired. I'm also usually free on weekends, so if you have free time then we can try to sync up.

In any case, thank you for taking your time to respond and elaborate your position! I hope you have fun no matter what you do :)

Next Splatoon just needs the devs to believe in their core game play and not create a loop of RNG systems to keep people going. The game is fun as hell and a Splatoon 2 with a Paper Mario-esque badge acquisition and handling mechanic themed within the universe would still be hype.

...plus then I can be even more cosmetic/The World Ends With You with the system. :p
Omg yessssss, a badge/sticker system that's basically slotting gems into your gear Diablo/MH style would be awesome :O

Toadsili T

Neo Member
I acknowledge that using the Gear Editor is way past those examples. But consider- it seems clear that the "developer's intention" was for Splatoon not to have voice chat. And yet top competitive teams are undoubtedly using voice comms- separate hardware and software from the game's "interface" and "systems." Is anyone going to call them out as playing illegitimately? Which gives a greater competitive advantage- voice comms or hacked perfect gear?

So pardon me if I take everyone's opinions on the correct way to play with a shaker of salt.

This example was some real food for thought; I'd never even considered the use of Voice Comms to be "illegitimate", even though you're very much correct that it's out of the bounds of the system. Alas, I must concede I have been using it for so long that I've considered it the norm at this point. :p

I'd definitely say that communication and team synergy would give a much greater advantage over perfect gear, even if the latter helps to some degree. Been plenty of times where I've gone "If only I could have told my teammates there was a Roller hiding there before they wiped us... we could have stopped that push".

EDIT:

Thirding this! Putting in exactly what you want with a system like that would be great.

This example was some real food for thought; I'd never even considered the use of Voice Comms to be "illegitimate", even though you're very much correct that it's out of the bounds of the system. Alas, I must concede I have been using it for so long that I've considered it the norm at this point. :p

I'd definitely say that communication and team synergy would give a much greater advantage over perfect gear, even if the latter helps to some degree. Been plenty of times where I've gone "If only I could have told my teammates there was a Roller hiding there before they wiped us... we could have stopped that push".
I'm actually curious if this might be the reason why rollers are in low supply in the higher ranks these days. I think it's uncontroversial to say that the regular roller is very under-represented in high level Splatoon play, save for Sorapol who's apparently a god with the Krak-On Roller. Usually a roller can go on a nice killing spree by getting enemies from the back and chewing through them one by one, without necessarily having to be quick about it. But if voice comms are mixed in, then the enemy team is usually warned immediately after the first death or even at first sight of the roller, so flanking for the roller becomes much more difficult.

ss-hikaru

I agree with the feeling of same old same old taking away some of the excitement. Because there is a generally agreed upon meta all the gear hacking is done to get specific combinations, no one seems to have interesting/different/not perfect triple gear. Even though some of the arguments for gear hacking are to try out different/unusual builds no one actually seems to be using this in turfs or ranked :p I kinda don't even bother looking at my killers gear anymore, it's just gonna be a sea of purple run and swim speed ups or bunch of damage ups...just like you said. I guess I"m just repeating what you said but not as eloquently :|

Biske

Hiya Biske! I think most of the conversations regarding Splatoon have moved on to Discord, though if you want to post here we usually respond fairly quickly as well :p Unfortunately I don't have an invite link handy...

That said, Aerospray PG is definitely very challenging to fight. I think a PG user should always have Kraken ready when committing to any fight, just because the main weapon and sub weapon are so useful at turfing as is.

To be honest I think I greatly prefer playing Splatoon in isolation. Discord is used for everyone to play on a team and chat right?

I love the silent and natural team strategy that builds up just playing with people without being able to communicate directly. When you get a team really gelling and knowing what each person is good at and going to do, thats the magic to me.

But I love me some splatoon talk!

I started out as a pure Aerospray user and then gradually moved to Sloshers, but that in your face risk of something like an Aerospray is a thrill. I'm terrible with the Kraken though, never fail to miss a kill.

Moondrop

Banned
I agree with the feeling of same old same old taking away some of the excitement. Because there is a generally agreed upon meta all the gear hacking is done to get specific combinations, no one seems to have interesting/different/not perfect triple gear. Even though some of the arguments for gear hacking are to try out different/unusual builds no one actually seems to be using this in turfs or ranked :p I kinda don't even bother looking at my killers gear anymore, it's just gonna be a sea of purple run and swim speed ups or bunch of damage ups...just like you said. I guess I"m just repeating what you said but not as eloquently :|
FWIW I feel I've been somewhat creative with my gear exploitation combos:
- Pre-2.6 burst bomb build (exactly 1main3sub each of damage/bomb range/ink recovery with no triples)
- Modern burst bomb build (above)
- Double splat bomb build
- Bomb rush build (bomb range/special duration/special charge)
- Disruptor build for custom jr (bomb range/ink recovery)
- Seeker build (sub saver/ink recovery)
- Quick superjump build
- Sometimes I make an X across the 3x3 grid for aesthetic purposes, like my current roller build.

I just love theorycrafting (for lack of a less pretentious word), and gear editing has allowed me to squeeze even more enjoyment out of this already wonderful game.

ss-hikaru

FWIW I feel I've been somewhat creative with my gear exploitation combos:
- Pre-2.6 burst bomb build (exactly 1main3sub each of damage/bomb range/ink recovery with no triples)
- Modern burst bomb build (above)
- Double splat bomb build
- Bomb rush build (bomb range/special duration/special charge)
- Disruptor build for custom jr (bomb range/ink recovery)
- Seeker build (sub saver/ink recovery)
- Quick superjump build
- Sometimes I make an X across the 3x3 grid for aesthetic purposes, like my current roller build.

I just love theorycrafting (for lack of a less pretentious word), and gear editing has allowed me to squeeze even more enjoyment out of this already wonderful game.

I have a Japanese friend who when I first starting playing him was running the bolded build (had about equivalent of 4 qsj mains) and it was hilarious to turf with him. When he was on the other team you'd go to try take someone out and they'd zoom off into the sky and you'd be like "ah, so that was Inuyama". Or if he was on your team you'd suddenly see a sj marker appear quickly followed by his inkling and you'd nice him (and he'd nice back) while thinking "hahahah oh hey Inuyama!" and of course this would happen multiple times in a match ^__^

Out of your other builds I would like to try a double splat bomb build for the splattershot junior. I put on some random gear to level up in turf which included 2x ink saver sub mains and found it really fun. Maybe with a bomb range up main could be even more fun :D

I'm not very good at theorycrafting but one 'weird' build I am working on atm is 3x bomb range up main refurbished mini splatling. I'm having a hard time getting used to throwing burst bombs (especially with the increased range) but it is hell funny randomly lobbing one towards a firefight your teammate is in halfway across the map and stealing their kill (or maybe even saving them? XP)

Trying to deal with a 57 QSJ build is what cracked me personally. Thanks Crisium.

EDIT: Gonna clarify something I said in Discord earlier:

What I meant was that after I started using haxed gear, I didn't get any better results. I had to accept that I sucked and started practicing a lot more. If you looked at my playtime after I did some haxxing you would see that I did a bunch of, like, 10+ hour sessions. Hell first time I got to A+ was QR cheese, but when I got back there and started maintaining it I was actually only using one piece of haxed gear.

Of course, now I'm apathetic as hell because fuck A+. :kappa:

To be honest I think I greatly prefer playing Splatoon in isolation. Discord is used for everyone to play on a team and chat right?

I love the silent and natural team strategy that builds up just playing with people without being able to communicate directly. When you get a team really gelling and knowing what each person is good at and going to do, thats the magic to me.

But I love me some splatoon talk!

I started out as a pure Aerospray user and then gradually moved to Sloshers, but that in your face risk of something like an Aerospray is a thrill. I'm terrible with the Kraken though, never fail to miss a kill.
The main discord does talk splatoon but we also talk about other stuff. Which I guess you did mention early on 😂.
Funny you mention the aerospray, I used to use the gold one before I switched to ranked battles for my money. Since then I've shelved the trio in favor of everything else but mostly splatlings.

Biske

I would love to be good with the splatlings, but I always manage to interrupt my shots by squiding.

I wish there was more to do with money in the game, as it stands now its just an amusing meter to watch climb.

I would love to be good with the splatlings, but I always manage to interrupt my shots by squiding.

I wish there was more to do with money in the game, as it stands now its just an amusing meter to watch climb.

For you, I'd start with the mini Splatling family and learn the rhythm of charging. Mini is the easiest to learn the Splatling rhythm because it starts and ends so fast. The weapon is interesting because it's easier to keep your finger on the trigger in order to recharge. I like to think of it as an inverted H3 Nozzlenose when it comes to the shooting style.

Because of the faster charge/shoot cycle, the mini can be useful in breaking your habit of swimming mid charge. That said, if you're in a bad spot, doing that might be better than trying to unload all of your shots. Splatling play should also teach you how effective hiding in a corner until you're fully charged can be if you haven't learned that, though it isn't nearly as effective for Mini. =P That skill is a skill that can transfer into the Charger class if you ever wanted to go that route.

Popular perks for the splatlings are Run Speed and Ink Resistance. Run Speed is insanely popular because you can close the gap between you and your opponent faster if you tried charging out of range. Ink Resistance is good for them because they are almost never swimming barring getting back into the field or escaping/heading to a flank to maintain control.

On the topic of Discord, there isn't a need to use voice comms for Splatoon. In fact, most of the people here just use voice to casually talk instead of forming strategies against the other team (except when you're in a squad). In fact, the mood of the VC reminds me less of a hardcore gamer group who's only objective is to win and more along the lines of a group of friends just chatting while playing the game in the same area/room. Even then, there's a text chat for those who don't want to use voice, like me. That said, there's no mandate that says that you absolutely need to join the Discord, so feel free not to. =P

UGH!!!
Splatoon can be...so god damn frustrating at times.
Like, why in the world are speedy rapid shooter weapons so powerful (in any other TPS they'd be very weak semi-useless killing weapons to balance for the speed and maneuverability)? Why create abilities/perks that barely matter or change the character/weapons (I wanna be a glorious architeuthis tank damn it, not a slightly less squishy blooper!)? Why design the enemy ink mechanic to completely cripple and block the player's already slow and clumsy humanoid character (getting boxed into your base can happen at the drop of a hat because your whole team is being blocked by enemy ink, feeling helpless isn't very fun)? Why would you create a powerful maneuverable close-quarters melee weapons that can also fling insta kill projectiles? Why would you design a mode where the player has to stand on a cramped box with a ludicrously slender pole as their only means of protection (at least give the blasted thing a shield and cannon combo with a lengthy cool down mechanic or somethin'. It should also just be one team trying to get it in and the other trying to push it back)? Also why only one round for the competitive modes??

It sucks that there are so many baffling design decisions in a game with such satisfying mechanics.

/saltyragequitaftermathrant

Top Bottom