• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Moondrop

Banned
So... ink saver sub...

Although I stand by my previous calculations, I've been talking about it wrong. I could've sworn that its original mechanic was not to directly reduce the ink cost of subs, but rather to give ink back after use. You still had to have the base amount of ink in the tank to deploy. But now it is clearly reducing the ink cost of subs; it's easy to test. I can't seem to find the patch notes from when(if) this changed, but it's certainly much more intuitive this way.

Anyways, at first I was loving the Jr- going aggro with the bubble is as good as the trislosher. But my performance has since normalized; the gun itself is low tier, and movement abilities only help so much. It feels like the real determinant of Jr skill is splat bomb use, so I switched to a double bomb build (35pts ISS, 12pts special charge, 10pts ink recovery). It's pretty fun, but I suspect that the most elite way to kill with the Jr is to chip with one bomb and then finish with the gun.

abd

I just finally finished all the amiibo challenges. I was stuck on the invisible platforms one.

I am thinking of starting a new profile and with it only using the Hero weapons and gear.

Oh hey in Splat Zones apparently even when the other team is completely wiped out and your 3 other teammates are alive, it's not a priority at all to actually paint the zone to stop their timer. Not at all.

Oh hey in Splat Zones apparently even when the other team is completely wiped out and your 3 other teammates are alive, it's not a priority at all to actually paint the zone to stop their timer. Not at all.

They thought YOU were gonna paint the zone! Why you gotta let your team down like that pinku? Why you gotta let them down...

bunk-the-wire.gif

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Played a game on Zones with my wife two nights ago. We were on Piranha Pit, and BOTH teammates we had went down the left side of the map to fill up their special meters to Kraken. I only noticed this after wondering why the other team rolled in and had both zones inked within about 15 seconds of the match starting.

Once they Krakened, they came through and got a couple kills and stopped the timer. But they didn't ink the zone. And the moment they respawned? Back down the left part of the map, building up that meter.

Holy shit.

ffdgh

Played a game on Zones with my wife two nights ago. We were on Piranha Pit, and BOTH teammates we had went down the left side of the map to fill up their special meters to Kraken. I only noticed this after wondering why the other team rolled in and had both zones inked within about 15 seconds of the match starting.

Once they Krakened, they came through and got a couple kills and stopped the timer. But they didn't ink the zone. And the moment they respawned? Back down the left part of the map, building up that meter.

Holy shit.

Welcome to ranked where common sense is nonexistent most of the time.
...and japanese snipers on the opposing team are the devil.

Biske

Sometimes I really wonder if these players realize the actual objectives of each mode. Even in S rank, some folks seem to have absolutely no clue. Oh I just cleared the way for you and died, and now you have every opportunity to capture the zone, move the rainmaker or tower, but instead you'll go do something else? Oh great.

Cindro

Heya friends

I've unfortunately had to part with my Wii U for now - I moved, and the Wii U couldn't come with (it's a family system, not a personal one). I'm sure going to miss playing my favorite game of the past five years, and would gladly buy another Wii U if the NX and the inevitable Splatoon port/Spla2n weren't on the horizon, but until then I'll be rocking almost exclusively on my Xbone.

To that end - how is Overwatch? I've seen some comparisons to Splatoon floating around. I've always hated multiplayer and team-based games, but Splatoon so thoroughly changed my perspective on that genre/play style that I'm more than willing to give the game a shot if it will tap into that same squiddy-esque vein.

totowhoa

Banned
I'd like to know this too. Have a lot going on in my life but after I've moved into a new home in a couple weeks I'd really like to check out overwatch, especially with the Splatoon comparisons I've seen

Jintor

Overwatch is great. I boxed up my Wii U to send home, but I'm playing a bit of Overwatch here and there.

It feels like the glory days of TF2 to me.

/edit but don't get the $60 bullshit version, just grab the $40 digital version unless you really like skins or whatever

Kito

To that end - how is Overwatch? I've seen some comparisons to Splatoon floating around.

It's really fun. If you like Splatoon you'll like Overwatch. Some of the ultimates in Overwatch are analogous to specials, like Hanzo's Dragonstrike and Wail, or Widow's Infra-sight and Echo.

And of course there has to be a random suction bomb throw that gets 2 kills :3

The rattling from holding down the trigger seems really annoying, but the concept is quite interesting :O

Edit: skweeshed by dynamo :X

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I think you forgot the part where they're never on your team for some reason.
Oh my god yes.

Jesus you guys are always over exaggerating. From A on the majority of ranked matches are fine.
My wife and I play dual squad matches. We hover between B and A-. The number of times our opposition gets the two highest ranked players is... significant!

Perhaps, but Rainmaker problems are no joke. A lot of people seem to hate grabbing it, at all costs.
Unless you're trying to get it. In which case they'll grab it and die. The number of times I've had a match where my teammates grab the thing half a dozen times and do not move, followed immediately by me grabbing it and taking it significantly into the other team's territory is... high.

ChrisD

Actually watching the VR video now, that is really cool! Their next upgrade should definitely work on getting the Y button worked into the gun controller. The poor player had her neck bent down just to get a flat view.

The clicking would also get on my nerves after a while, but that's crazy nit-picky for such a fun looking project. :p

Unless you're trying to get it. In which case they'll grab it and die. The number of times I've had a match where my teammates grab the thing half a dozen times and do not move, followed immediately by me grabbing it and taking it significantly into the other team's territory is... high.
Half the time that happens we end up being 1-4, with me just hiding, waiting for the enemy to grab the rainmaker so I can bop them to buy us some time.

Then everybody super jumps to me and dies while I run the fuck away to try that again.

ChrisD

Azure, I'd put the name of the hackers into your video's description. Maybe even the title, if there's enough space.

For anyone who doesn't watch his stream/YouTube highlights, and doesn't visit Discord:

If you see the names H^Z☆H or H^Z☆Yato in your lobby, BACK OUT. They're hackers, and systems can actually freeze up when they land in your game. Some people have actually said it did mess with their save data to a point of corruption. Whether it's true or not, idk, but you can never be too careful with stuff like that.

It's also going around reddit, I'm sure, but over-sharing can't hurt anyone.

ffdgh

Azure, I'd put the name of the hackers into your video's description. Maybe even the title, if there's enough space.

For anyone who doesn't watch his stream/YouTube highlights, and doesn't visit Discord:

If you see the names H^Z☆H or H^Z☆Yato in your lobby, BACK OUT. They're hackers, and systems can actually freeze up when they land in your game. Some people have actually said it did mess with their save data to a point of corruption. Whether it's true or not, idk, but you can never be too careful with stuff like that.

It's also going around reddit, I'm sure, but over-sharing can't hurt anyone.

Thanks for the warning. Time to make a backup...Slightly nervous about splatfest now.

Pokemaniac

So, in a turn of events that I really should have seen coming, there seems to be considerably more night owl peeps active right now.

OuterLimits

So, uh, been awhile since I have done a Splatfest. What the hell does Early Bird power mean? Never seen that before.

We Early Birds are terrible in matches I have played. I'm blaming the time of night, not my terrible skills.

So, uh, been awhile since I have done a Splatfest. What the hell does Early Bird power mean? Never seen that before.

We Early Birds are terrible in matches I have played. I'm blaming the time of night, not my terrible skills.

In an effort to make skill between players more even, Fest Power was introduced. Basically you'll be paired with players of similar Fest Power (The base you start with is determined by your level in Ranked mode). As you win, Fest Power will go up and if you lose it goes down. The higher your Fest power is, the more points you earn for wins so it's easier to rank up to King / Queen.

OuterLimits

In an effort to make skill between players more even, Fest Power was introduced. Basically you'll be paired with players of similar Fest Power (The base you start with is determined by your level in Ranked mode). As you win, Fest Power will go up and if you lose it goes down. The higher your Fest power is, the more points you earn for wins so it's easier to rank up to King / Queen.

Ah. Thanks for the explanation. Shame I suck at the game. Love it though.

Does seem like they goofed when picking these choices. Now it's mainly night owls and in 8 hours or so it will start to switch.

Pretty awful night I've lost almost all my matches...

Team night owl here
Hey, same here. Won only 3 of the 12-13 matches I played, though fortunately all of those losses came against other Night Owl teams. I saw only two Early Bird teams in all those matches and we beat them handily both times.

Biske

Being on the popular team gets so boring, waiting to fight your own team takes forever...

Though maybe only the Night Owls are playing this late at night.... hmmm

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I've been constantly scoring higher than my teammates and the other team and yet I'm still losing and losing...

Time to go to sleep I guess...

It's been a pretty bad night

ChrisD

So wait, Night Owls probably lose? Don't think I'm playing with the whole hack thing + poor experience last time + the last lobby I was in a few nights ago had five - FIVE - Gear Edited players.

May just go Early Bird and play to 10 points then. Reap the benefits of you crazy early-waking people (I say at 4:09 AM wth am I doing with my life).

Biske

Nice!

I've seen mine too in some occasions, but I don't know if that means other people are seeing my doodles at the same time too.

If you do your own posts it will put em up all over the place. Always shows mine when I'm doing, and the big one is part of the rotation.

Top Bottom