• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Just got Splatoon along with WiiU and MK a couple of weeks ago. Playing some missions at the moment with some guy in a drain. I find the controls difficult to get used to. If I'm running around I can't aim at the same time as controlling the camera. It all becomes a bit overwhelming. Or the aiming becomes a little awkward in angle. Am I doing this wrong?

Remember to use the Y button to reset the camera. Do it as much as you need to.

VanWinkle

Have had this 7 months and completely forgot about it. It is now time to open and enjoy.

fD2ikr3.jpg

VanWinkle

Is there still the 2-map limit and one or two modes per every few hours or whatever it was? That's the thing that massively turned me off back when it came out. (I was really hyped or this game before that info came out.)

phanphare

Banned
urchin/museum is like my ideal combo for splat zones

rolled some new gear for my rapid blaster too. those ugly as fuck plum casuals but hey, damage up main with triple swim speed. pretty sure that was the only piece of gear that has a swim speed/damage up combo for the main ability and common sub ability. I found that odd.

Dang this is happening.

Edit: And if my understanding by Google's mangled translation is correct, this DOES seem to be the last splatfest O_O

"Last fees all over the world at the same time held, in other words at the same time start and end is combined and calculated results all over the world will be announced at the same time.
However, matching is divided in the West and Japan, FES hundred ass also summarized independently in Japan and Europe, will be announced. All your race you want. #ラストフェス"

abd

Splatoon will be a Civil War. Inkling verse Inkling. Sister verse Sister. One one side Callie, and on the Good Guys Marie. Why do they want to break Cuttlefish's heart?

For the record this is my prediction for Spat2n after this new splatfest tears everything apart.

ffdgh

Can't believe this is the end despite the hints...

Fingers crossed that walleye is at least one of the stages to win.

Can't choose between kelpdome, mall, and triggerfish for the last one.

ChrisD

Last... Fest? I know I talk smack about them, gripe constantly, and don't tend to really enjoy myself during them, but when I read the thread title on Gaming the sadness that hit was quite sharp. :(

Do we think maybe they'll do re-runs on them? When else will new players get Sea Snails? How will we get to see night time stages? What about the catchy tunes? All just gone? They just put in the new Splatfest system a few Fests ago!

I'm going to try and play this Fest with as clean a slate as possible. No annoyance at the Turf War lock-in. No griping at matchmaking. I'm going to go into it as excited and happy as I was playing my first one last year. And I'll cap off my Splatfest adventures repping Marie; just like how I started.

Even going to extend this break I've had for a while until the event starts. I'm actually excited to play, best to not ruin that by possibly getting angry at Ranked or tire out of TW!

Biske

Last... Fest? I know I talk smack about them, gripe constantly, and don't tend to really enjoy myself during them, but when I read the thread title on Gaming the sadness that hit was quite sharp. :(

Do we think maybe they'll do re-runs on them? When else will new players get Sea Snails? How will we get to see night time stages? What about the catchy tunes? All just gone? They just put in the new Splatfest system a few Fests ago!

I'm going to try and play this Fest with as clean a slate as possible. No annoyance at the Turf War lock-in. No griping at matchmaking. I'm going to go into it as excited and happy as I was playing my first one last year. And I'll cap off my Splatfest adventures repping Marie; just like how I started.

Even going to extend this break I've had for a while until the event starts. I'm actually excited to play, best to not ruin that by possibly getting angry at Ranked or tire out of TW!

Yeah I hear ya... very sad to see them go despite all my gripes.

Wonder what they do plan going forward. Maybe a night time splat fest kind of thing added into the rotation on weekends or something?

Firstly, thanks for all the advice, regarding controls. Will take it on board.

Secondly, since I've just got this game, I've no idea what a Splatfest is, I suppose a tournament. Received an email from Nintendo this morning me it is the last one out of 16. I feel as though I've missed out. Was there some sort of story behind it?

Sayah

They're finally going to end splatfests?

Such great news. I usually don't end up playing the game on the weekend that they do this because splatfests are so boring compared to the ranked matches.

Oh no ... This is gonna be the beginning of the great Woomy war.
Putting idol fans against eachother, even if they're fictional, is like one of the worst things imaginable. What have you done Nintendo.
#TeamMarie

Firstly, thanks for all the advice, regarding controls. Will take it on board.

Secondly, since I've just got this game, I've no idea what a Splatfest is, I suppose a tournament. Received an email from Nintendo this morning me it is the last one out of 16. I feel as though I've missed out. Was there some sort of story behind it?

Splatfest are-- *sniff* were special events nearly once a month where the Squid Girls would pose a question of which do you prefer such as Cats VS Dogs, Hamburgers VS Hotdogs, Autobots VS Decepticons. The players would then choose a side and at a selected date for 24 hours the two sides would play each other at Turf War on three maps instead of two and the stages would have a night theme, neon ink, and special music.

The winner would be determined based on popularity and total win rate. All players who participated in Splat Fest would then receive Super Sea Snails which you give to Spyke and for each one he'll add a skill slot to your gear or re-roll the skills for free instead of his usual fee of 30000. The winning side obviously got more snails while the losing side would still get some, but not as much.

Splatfests were fun little distractions, although it was annoying that unless you did private matches with friends, you can't do any online mode except Turf War. They're also very frustrating because it paired players accustomed to the higher skill based Ranked modes with people who never touched it so there was always a significant skill gap between players as well as more connection errors since players not interested in Ranked also don't care that much about having a stable connection.

JC Lately

Last splatfest? Or last splatfest *on the Wii U*?

'Cause you know there will be a Splatoon 2 on the NX sooner than later.

BTW: #TeamCallie.

Neoxon

Last splatfest? Or last splatfest *on the Wii U*?

'Cause you know there will be a Splatoon 2 on the NX sooner than later.

BTW: #TeamCallie.
I doubt that Splatoon 2 will be ready for the NX's launch. Maybe they can make it to Holiday 2017, but that's if they do another barebones launch.

Nia

I've been on a long sabbatical from the game, but it looks like it's time I make my comeback. For the glory of Marie, I will fight this final battle.

Ogodei

Sunsetting it this early is peculiar. To me, it raises the odds of there being a remaster on NX at launch, why would you close down the game's main event so soon otherwise?

RedFyn

Yeah I hear ya... very sad to see them go despite all my gripes.

Wonder what they do plan going forward. Maybe a night time splat fest kind of thing added into the rotation on weekends or something?
A weekend fest where all the maps are their night version would be cool and, I imagine, easy to implement.

I doubt that Splatoon 2 will be ready for the NX's launch. Maybe they can make it to Holiday 2017, but that's if they do another barebones launch.
Why would it take that long? What are you expecting it to be?

Sunsetting it this early is peculiar. To me, it raises the odds of there being a remaster on NX at launch, why would you close down the game's main event so soon otherwise?
I mean it's been over a year since the game launched. It's not like it's that early.

Jims

Sad that this is the last Splatfest, but it's had a good run. It's been interesting seeing the developers tinker with the format over these many months.

(Although no format change could ever make Team Cat win. Maybe x20.) :(

I kinda hope they patch in some alternate method of getting Sea Snails after the Splatfests are over. Maybe let Judd give you one whenever you max out your vibe meter on a rotation. That might be too easy a reward, but who cares at this point. 1 snail every 4 hours isn't that egregious when you're potentially re-rolling things 10-20 times.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't know which stage to vote for! This is too much pressure.
Leaning toward one of the classics, Saltspray or Walleye.

Would it really have been so hard to commission a piece of art and write/translate a few lines of dialogue each month to keep doing Splatfests? This is Nintendo's most successful new series in a decade and they won't have a new console out for another eight months. I would think December would be a better month for a final Splatfest.

ChrisD

I don't know which stage to vote for! This is too much pressure.
Leaning toward one of the classics, Saltspray or Walleye.

Would it really have been so hard to commission a piece of art and write/translate a few lines of dialogue each month to keep doing Splatfests? This is Nintendo's most successful new series in a decade and they won't have a new console out for another eight months. I would think December would be a better month for a final Splatfest.

Yeah, I voted Walleye. I preferred it over Rig in the Testfire (and DEFINITELY prefer it now), and I wanted to vote in a classic.

I know it probably does take more trouble than we're making assumptions on, but I'm definitely of the same mind on "You can't just get something together once a month?" Surely they're not afraid of Wii U Splatoon cannibalizing the hypothetical NX Splatoon so much that they have to cut it all off this far out?

Top Bottom