• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ss-hikaru

Hahaha! I'm not really sure how the survey works either, for someone who answered 'likes rapid fire' and 'no confidence in my aim' I somehow got the E-liter LOL
they must mean burst bomb main E-liter
. I was so sure I'd get the Heavy Splatling with my choices. It sounds like most people are getting the results from the same subset of weapons (jr, e-liter, dynamo, 52 gal). So if you get something outside of these you must be special :p (my partner got 96 gal so there are other results outside of these 4)

I hope people at least got some fun outta doing the survey, whether you think it's spot on or total BS XD

ChrisD

Should splatlings get a line of sight laser like chargers?

No.
Am I completely against the notion, no, do I think it unnecessary, yes. Chargers are still the only one-shots in the game + the only weapon with an instant travel time. Those are the only two reasons a gun should have the Line of Sight.

In a world where they did, I'd assume it would only happen at half-full onwards since that's where it's most dangerous.

Also Minis would be pretty goofy with one.

J@hranimo

Banned
So I was talking in the discord about map rankings and was wondering what every else's "tier list" for maps were. Mine were:

A Tier: Blackbelly, Walleye, Kelp, Camp
B Tier: Urchin, Arowana, Pit, Museum
C: Ancho-V, Bridge, Mahi-Mahi
D: Flounder, Port, Rig
E: Moray, Bluefin

I based this on overall enjoyment over all 4 game modes. How do the maps rank for you all?

ffdgh

So I was talking in the discord about map rankings and was wondering what every else's "tier list" for maps were. Mine were:

A Tier: Blackbelly, Walleye, Kelp, Camp
B Tier: Urchin, Arowana, Pit, Museum
C: Ancho-V, Bridge, Mahi-Mahi
D: Flounder, Port, Rig
E: Moray, Bluefin

I based this on overall enjoyment over all 4 game modes. How do the maps rank for you all?

Haven't played ranked in 7 months so based on turf war.

Great: Kelp dome, Pit, Camp, Bridge
Cool: Underpass, Mall, Mahi-mahi, Heights, Skatepark
Alright: Musem, Fixed towers, Walleye
Meh: Rig, Port
Garbage: Depot, Old towers

phanphare

Banned
I only play turf wars and splat zones but here are my rankings

A tier: walleye warehouse and blackbelly skatepark
B tier: urchin underpass
C tier: museum d'alfonsino, saltspray rig, ancho-v games, piranha pit, and mahi mahi resort
D tier: arowana mall, bluefin depot, camp triggerfish, port mackerel, moray towers, and flounder heights
E tier: kelp dome and hammerhead bridge

Jims

Got back into the N-Zap '83 lately. Was playing a lot of the Squelchers lately and needed a palate cleanser, and that silly Run Speed N-Zap build fit the bill. So much fun.

Would probably go:

A. Kelp Dome, Piranha Pit, Flounder Heights, Blackbelly Skatepark
B. Arowana Mall, Museum D'alfonsino, Walleye Warehouse, Urchin Underpass
C. Mahi-Mahi Resort, Moray Towers, Ancho-V Games
D. Camp Triggerfish, Saltspray Rig, Hammerhead Bridge
E. Bluefin Depot, Port Mackarel

My only exception with Camp Triggerfish is Rainmaker. Love Rainmaker on that map, hate Zones and Turf. Tower Control is okay.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
If you go back to playing this after almost a year... have fun buying a weapon. I think I just spent five minutes hitting the a button to get through all the dialog about new weapons.

Kito

Just played a bit of Splatoon after a two month break, and I tried smashing the plaza's vending machine. This is what too much Overwatch does to you, lol.

Kanguro

Neo Member
I can't get over what a terrible decision it is to only have two maps in a single game mode in rotation for THREE FUCKING HOURS. It may be the dumbest thing Nintendo has ever done. Ruins a great game.

I have completely forgotten how to do Tower Control, I dropped down to A. A! Thank the Queen for Zones: Walleye / Mackerel getting me back to S but damn I'm bad at that mode now. Doesn't help that I'm trying to get three slots on all my gear and unlocking Subs. I can't believe how many garbage shirts have Recon on it. Those rags ain't fit to wipe my ass sweat.

A / A+ people: I will fucking pay you to stop super jumping so you can get some cheap broad to super jump to on your time, and not mine!

A / A+ people: I will fucking pay you to stop super jumping so you can get some cheap broad to super jump to on your time, and not mine!
Other A rank quirks:

-Way more questionable weapon choices than there should be
-Running straight at people while holding ZR
-Rushing straight for the fucking fish every fucking time and then just dying immediately every single motherfucking time.
-Never painting the fucking zone.

Very fun stuff.

jariw

I can't get over what a terrible decision it is to only have two maps in a single game mode in rotation for THREE FUCKING HOURS. It may be the dumbest thing Nintendo has ever done. Ruins a great game.

What game mode are you referring to, that has 3 hour rotations?

Kanguro

Neo Member
What game mode are you referring to, that has 3 hour rotations?
Ranked... Might be 4 hours. It's an eternity at any rate. They obviously have enough players to at least increase the rotation by one map as evidenced by the splat fests. Despite the amount of content the game consistently manages to feel like a demo because of how limited you are every time you play.

They unlock a mini-Splatfest concert where they do unique dances to the typical theme that played during Splatfest games, the final minute theme, Splatfest Plaza theme, final boss theme, credits theme, and then one song unique to either girl.

They're kinda nice since Splatfests are over but no gear, weapons, or missions are unlocked.

Blues1990

What do the Callie & Marie amiibo unlock? Or is it just the performances?
You can watch them perform their songs in a Splatfest-like setting, & their respective Amiibo have their new solo songs. Callie's is 'Bomb Rush Blush', while Marie's is 'Tide Goes Out'.

Kito

When a 52 shows up

fb9.png

Kodaman

New update 2.11.0 out

Patch notes:
– A bug has been fixed in which the splash with Rollers/Brushes would not hit opponents in certain instances.
– Adjustments have been made to make for a more pleasant gaming experience.

New update 2.11.0 out

Patch notes:
– A bug has been fixed in which the splash with Rollers/Brushes would not hit opponents in certain instances.
Wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

Does this mean rollers and brushes have been over nerfed this entire time???

New update 2.11.0 out

Patch notes:

SUCH AS???

Because from my experience online, they have a 360 range of murder death that ignores the ink splash or swinging animation. Are we extending that to above them now??

totowhoa

Banned
Now that my brush has been patched I'll finally crawl across the S+ finish line and stop playing

Guess I said that several months ago when I first hit S too. This has been a long ride

backlot

To be clear: they didn't undo any of the roller nerfs. I'm not sure exactly what was changed but I think it was a glitch fix.

Azure J

So we were randomly discussing something quite a while back in the SplatGAF Discord that I was stewing on for a bit and thought of again recently. What if Splatoon 2 had alt fire modes for the different classes of weapons or even different weapons within a certain class? I'm not familiar with other shooters enough to give close analogues to them should they do similar things, but I'll try detailing some things.

Examples:

Inkbrush/Octobrush: These weapons were actually the subject of the first discussion since I kinda love them but feel like they should be doing more than they are currently. My idea was part of a few changes to brushes, namely:

- When swinging while moving, Inklings run forward while fanning ink in the direction they're facing; this run speed degrades over time as they get more tired/deplete their stamina until eventually they're left swinging in place like the current Octobrush. You gotta manage the stamina while on offensive or inking.

- Alt fire added

The alt fire I had in mind for them was at the cost of half a tank of ink or more, the inkling could charge a wide arc single swing/"sword beam" and flash it in an area immediately in front of themselves for big damage (OHKO maybe?). This would be universal to inkbrushes and octobrushes.

Dynamo Roller: The current flick would be the main fire but the alt fire method would be to hold another button while the inkling revs it like a lawnmower before torpedoing off forward carried by the roller for a second or so.
(I just like the imagery of a dynamo roller speeding off and flattening anything in its way lol)

Steph_E.

Now that my brush has been patched I'll finally crawl across the S+ finish line and stop playing

Guess I said that several months ago when I first hit S too. This has been a long ride

I'm still on A and can't seem to get any higher. But at least I got to be Queen on the last Splatfest. :)

69wpm

Well, after so much time with Splatoon, today I'm retiring. Had a blast this morning playing TC on my most favourite maps and I think that's the best way to quit.

WVW69jfvA7cpP80YN_

Can't wait for Spl2n and really hope they fix all the little things that prevent this great, great game from being spectacular. Splat on, guys!

If you're wondering about my level: I deleted my save game to challenge myself to get to S rank as quickly as possible. I think I was 21 when I reached S rank starting fresh.

So we were randomly discussing something quite a while back in the SplatGAF Discord that I was stewing on for a bit and thought of again recently. What if Splatoon 2 had alt fire modes for the different classes of weapons or even different weapons within a certain class? I'm not familiar with other shooters enough to give close analogues to them should they do similar things, but I'll try detailing some things.

Examples:

Inkbrush/Octobrush: These weapons were actually the subject of the first discussion since I kinda love them but feel like they should be doing more than they are currently. My idea was part of a few changes to brushes, namely:

- When swinging while moving, Inklings run forward while fanning ink in the direction they're facing; this run speed degrades over time as they get more tired/deplete their stamina until eventually they're left swinging in place like the current Octobrush. You gotta manage the stamina while on offensive or inking.

- Alt fire added

The alt fire I had in mind for them was at the cost of half a tank of ink or more, the inkling could charge a wide arc single swing/"sword beam" and flash it in an area immediately in front of themselves for big damage (OHKO maybe?). This would be universal to inkbrushes and octobrushes.

Dynamo Roller: The current flick would be the main fire but the alt fire method would be to hold another button while the inkling revs it like a lawnmower before torpedoing off forward carried by the roller for a second or so.
(I just like the imagery of a dynamo roller speeding off and flattening anything in its way lol)

The roller revving thing would make Kevin Super OP lol.

I don't know where else to turn.

I think I'm almost ready to give up on ever becoming S+ in this game. The closest I've ever gotten is S 90.

It's just too hard. My connection is not good enough. I'm not good enough. I see that now.

Does anybody else know my pain?

CO_Andy

I think I'm almost ready to give up on ever becoming S+ in this game. The closest I've ever gotten is S 90.

It's just too hard. My connection is not good enough. I'm not good enough. I see that now.

I think i would have been S+ way long ago if i didn't lobby hop after every ranked match.

As of right now i'm resigned to selling off my Wii U to get SplatooNX.

tbh I feel like I need a rotation that's good for me and a string of mildly good luck in order to get into S+. If you don't have a kit and rotation that you're comfortable with, try finding those first. If you already have those, maybe try describing what is happening when you play.

phanphare

Banned

never broken out of A+ myself

so no I don't know your pain ;p

abd

Well, after so much time with Splatoon, today I'm retiring. Had a blast this morning playing TC on my most favourite maps and I think that's the best way to quit.

WVW69jfvA7cpP80YN_

Can't wait for Spl2n and really hope they fix all the little things that prevent this great, great game from being spectacular. Splat on, guys!

If you're wondering about my level: I deleted my save game to challenge myself to get to S rank as quickly as possible. I think I was 21 when I reached S rank starting fresh.

Take care. We will save you a spot on Spla2n release night.

69wpm

Heh, I feel ya. I tried to go to S+ two times and failed in the last match: First time I managed to go to 97 points and lost the final match in overtime. Second time, I got to 98 points – at this point I though this game was fucking with me. Lost again in the last seconds and I just gave up at that point.

I don't know about lobby hopping, but I never stick around because, in my experience, it is much quicker to just find a new lobby.

Take care. We will save you a spot on Spla2n release night.

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it.

noshten

I'm in the same boat, granted I did make it to S+ several times but fell down in the ranks. At least I no longer derank to A+ but I'm guessing the majority of people playing are S rank by now.

My main issue is bad mode/map combinations and obviously lacking the awareness of being able to keep track of the GamePad and TV at the same time. I usually do really well in Rainmaker/Splat Zones but completly out of sorts on TC.
I think to make it and remain in S+ I'd need to stop playing bad rotations and stop vaping while playing but that's not something I'm interested in doing. Thus I have resigned myself to being forever S.
I definetly think if you can multitask and pay attention to the GamePad it's far easier to get to S+.

tbh I feel like I need a rotation that's good for me and a string of mildly good luck in order to get into S+. If you don't have a kit and rotation that you're comfortable with, try finding those first. If you already have those, maybe try describing what is happening when you play.

This rings true to me. At first I stubbornly insisted that I wanted to be an "all rounder"--to hit S+ by playing all modes and by not cherry-picking my rotations. After months of trying, I realize I am simply not good enough to ever achieve this without quitting my day job. I'm gonna have to pick my shot very carefully...

These are the weapons I hang with in S rank: Bento Splatterscope (TC and RM), Neo Splash-o-Matic (SZ), Neo Luna (TC... of course), and I can hold my own with the Tentatek and other Splatterscope variants. I currently have a side account for learning the SplatRoller at A rank.

As for stages, I like Moray Towers, Mahi Mahi, Walleye, Arowana, and Kelp Dome off the top of my head. I lose if you put me on Flounders or that blasted Bridge.

Heh, I feel ya. I tried to go to S+ two times and failed in the last match: First time I managed to go to 97 points and lost the final match in overtime. Second time, I got to 98 points – at this point I though this game was fucking with me. Lost again in the last seconds and I just gave up at that point.

I don't know about lobby hopping, but I never stick around because, in my experience, it is much quicker to just find a new lobby.

The bolded is my life currently. I swear Splatoon hates me and I hate it. And yet I keep coming back...

The point distribution becomes ridiculously punishing around S 80. If I recall, it's 4 per win and 6 per loss? That's inhumane.

I'm in the same boat, granted I did make it to S+ several times but fell down in the ranks. At least I no longer derank to A+ but I'm guessing the majority of people playing are S rank by now.

My main issue is bad mode/map combinations and obviously lacking the awareness of being able to keep track of the GamePad and TV at the same time. I usually do really well in Rainmaker/Splat Zones but completly out of sorts on TC.
I think to make it and remain in S+ I'd need to stop playing bad rotations and stop vaping while playing but that's not something I'm interested in doing. Thus I have resigned myself to being forever S.
I definetly think if you can multitask and pay attention to the GamePad it's far easier to get to S+.

So true. I find I do better during games I can get a minute, hide in my ink, and scope out the gamepad to plan my next action. Games where I'm just going with the flow and living in the moment can either go epicly right or tragically, soul-crushingly wrong.

As for the majority of people being S, somebody did a statistical analysis of the Splatoon ranking system a while back and calculated that around half of the population will eventually wind up in S at any given time, but only around 3% will be in S+. Here it is:

http://www.evanmiller.org/splatoons-ranking-system-is-still-broken.html

Assuming this is true, this does two things for me: (1) devalues my current rank (making me sad), and (2) makes S+ seem even more elite, unattainable, and therefore, desirable in my eyes (which fuels my "I can't quit you" mania with this blasted game).

I think this may be the most hardcore gaming goal I've ever seriously pursued. Splatoon. Of all games.

Nightii

Banned
I think I finally got the answer... I found ways to make the weaker buckets actually work.

It's all in the right builds.

Sloshing Machines (regular and Neo) need RSU, and by that I mean a ton of it, one main or a few subs doesn't cut it. Once you stack enough you get strafing movement that actually let's you chase enemies and dodge counterattacks when committing to a shootout.

Generic, in the scheme of how RSU is everywhere, but somehow still unique for these weapons.

This one was harder to crack, in the end, this kit on this weak main weapon works for one thing: Zoning. You need a steady output of Seekers to keep controlling terrain from a distance, so that the enemy moves to less favorable positions for you or your teammates to abuse. Haunt and Echo tagging also helps to keep the enemy guessing and doubting their approaches, so you can more easily zone them.

abd

Imagine that you are playing Mahi Mahi splatzones and the enemy has just capped the zone. Unbeknownst to them you are hiding in a drop of ink behind their box. In front of you there are three squids, and you are sure you can splat one before the other two notice. You have no idea where the fourth is. Which do you attack first?

1> Kelp Splatterscope (Easiest to get, but furthest away and other two might see you before you can attack)
2> Dynamo Roller (Closest, but close to getting special)
3> .96 Gal Deco (Holding special and there is a good chance they activate it before you can splat them)

Top Bottom