• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Imagine that you are playing Mahi Mahi splatzones and the enemy has just capped the zone. Unbeknownst to them you are hiding in a drop of ink behind their box. In front of you there are three squids, and you are sure you can splat one before the other two notice. You have no idea where the fourth is. Which do you attack first?

1> Kelp Splatterscope (Easiest to get, but furthest away and other two might see you before you can attack)
2> Dynamo Roller (Closest, but close to getting special)
3> .96 Gal Deco (Holding special and there is a good chance they activate it before you can splat them)
I'm using a Custom Hydra and have a bubble charged because that's how a Custom Hydra rolls.

Therefore, I'll go with "all 3" because the Custom Hydra is very silly like that.

ChrisD

I'd focus Dynamo because their coverage is huge on Mahi, then I'd hopehopehope that the 96 doesn't pop Kraken in time as I come around to them second. Sniper third if they haven't already picked me off.

Really though, I'd focus none of them in that situation, and would instead hide out for a bit longer waiting for them to break apart. Then it'd go Dynamo>Charger>96.

Azure J

Imagine that you are playing Mahi Mahi splatzones and the enemy has just capped the zone. Unbeknownst to them you are hiding in a drop of ink behind their box. In front of you there are three squids, and you are sure you can splat one before the other two notice. You have no idea where the fourth is. Which do you attack first?

1> Kelp Splatterscope (Easiest to get, but furthest away and other two might see you before you can attack)
3> .96 Gal Deco (Holding special and there is a good chance they activate it before you can splat them)

Kelp. Dynamo Roller's windup and cool down means I have a good shot of dealing with them post Kelp in the downtime between the swings needed to get special + this flushes the 96 who was probably holding special out of hiding meaning a chance to force Kraken or have the charger on the team apply pressure. Kelp goes, and the possibility of one of two sprinklers also goes out for a small window of time.

Wiseblade

Dynamo, then the .96 with the Splatterscope last. You have no maneuverability anyway so the best approach is the one least likely to alert the others to your presence before its too late.

Doorman

[Hypothetical]

Dynamo dies first. Fuck Dynamo.

For a more realistic answer...Dynamo first anyway. If the .96 can assumedly activate kraken before you can kill it, then targeting it first is a waste anyway. Getting rid of the Kelp would also get rid of its sprinkler, which is good for the team, but in the immediate-term the dynamo is probably a bigger problem in terms of covering/defending the zone, and you have the chance to deny its special in the process. Plus you probably stand a better chance of escaping if the Dynamo's down rather than if it's still active, you wouldn't be able to slip around its shots compared to the other two once you're noticed.

Regiruler

Testfire is coming back fron the 25th to the 28th from 6pm to 8pm ET

Might play for nostalgia kicks, although given that I have over 150 hours worth of splat charger experience, it will probably be to everyone else's detriment.

ChrisD

I hope it's another app so I can have four Splatoon icons on my menu. :p

(Yeah, Digital Copy would achieve that, but I mean for free)

Thought you guys would like a reminder re the ESL Splatoon Showdown happening at gamescom 2016:
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2016/August/Nintendo-showcases-upcoming-Wii-U-and-Nintendo-3DS-titles-at-gamescom-2016-1131247.html said:
Splatoon Showdown: After battling each other over the last few weeks, only four teams remain in the ESL’s Splatoon Showdown tournament. The ESL, the world’s largest eSports company, will host the finals in co-operation with Nintendo on the Beta stage of the ESL arena in Hall 9 at gamescom on 17th August from 14:00 UK Time, with an introduction from Splatoon producer Hisashi Nogami. All coverage of the finals will be livestreamed via Twitch.tv/ESL.
t1471438800z0.png

I think I got that right (UK time is currently BST which is GMT+1)

Thanks Starwolf! :)

Also! Inkstorm 4 is a big time Splatoon tourney that will be happening near the tail end of August 2016 :) You can see more details here:

https://smash.gg/tournament/inkstorm-4

I would like to post this as a thread in the gaming forum, but I'm not quite sure how I want to format the content. If anyone wants to take a shot at reporting Inkstorm 4, please do so!

abd

This was me with the roller on the weekend.
__
Duhna, Duhna, Duhna... Im gonna roll you.
Wait!! Come back!!
Don't walk away from me faster than I can roll!
:( :( :(

I thought you rolled. Has the bastion of rollings' legacy been crushed under the weight of The Meta(TM)? D:
probably old news if you did switch, and I get it either way, but man rolling is so much funner
I still primarily roll only, but sometimes, I need to be reminded why I don't flick, and just stick to squishing things. And this is coming from a person who went Carbon Roller squish only for fun in squads and did consistently good for the whole session.

totowhoa

Banned
I did it GAF. I haven't posted a ton in this thread but I have to say I did it somewhere.

Stuck in S for months. In March or April I started using Splatoon.ink to just play when map/mode combos interested me from time to time but I finally hit S+.

Feels fucking good man. It's honestly less brutal than I expected so far.

The road to S+99 begins...

abd

I did it GAF. I haven't posted a ton in this thread but I have to say I did it somewhere.

Stuck in S for months. In March or April I started using Splatoon.ink to just play when map/mode combos interested me from time to time but I finally hit S+.

Congratulations on the job well done.

totowhoa

Banned
Congratulations on the job well done.

Thanks! I won the first few battles after getting there last night and stopped. Picked it up again today just after posting the above and got crushed every time lol.

Since I'm not playing in a squad I may very well call it quits soon. My brushes require effective support and that's just so hard to build with randoms. Long rage guns mowing me down like never before if I don't have turf to move/hide in. Especially on certain maps. Damn hammerhead bridge.

J@hranimo

Banned

Congrats man! Making it to S+ during this time of the game is no small feat haha. What brush(es) did you use?

totowhoa

Banned
Congrats man! Making it to S+ during this time of the game is no small feat haha. What brush(es) did you use?

Permanent Inkbrush if the map/mode is less suited to Inkzooka. Otherwise Octobrush Nouveau. I'd run plain Octobrush if I could rely on people using the beacons.

I also run shooters sometimes - have had slightly better luck in S+ with them so far.., generally run in the splattershot family there.

Azure J

Permanent Inkbrush if the map/mode is less suited to Inkzooka. Otherwise Octobrush Nouveau. I'd run plain Octobrush if I could rely on people using the beacons.

I also run shooters sometimes - have had slightly better luck in S+ with them so far.., generally run in the splattershot family there.

Octobrush Nouveau user? Niiiice. :)

I had issues with Dynamo. Switched to my favorite Corocoro build (Comeback/19 Special Saver/18 Quick Respawn/Stealth Jump) and this happened:
iYwAyjA.jpg

Duoing with Blue did get me to A+80-ish but my Dynamo attempts slaughtered my rating. But I did a straight win streak from A+49 and FUCKING FINALLY JESUS CHRIST.

abd

I had issues with Dynamo. Switched to my favorite Corocoro build (Comeback/19 Special Saver/18 Quick Respawn/Stealth Jump) and this happened:
iYwAyjA.jpg

Duoing with Blue did get me to A+80-ish but my Dynamo attempts slaughtered my rating. But I did a straight win streak from A+49 and FUCKING FINALLY JESUS CHRIST.

Congratulation man. I know you were working hard on it.

ChrisD

Yo, I thought you were in S moooooonths ago. Definitely played well enough to be there in the few rounds I faced you back then. You deserve your obtaining it, congrats!

Yo, I thought you were in S moooooonths ago. Definitely played well enough to be there in the few rounds I faced you back then. You deserve your obtaining it, congrats!
Thanks.

I had lots of issues carrying even when I went like 15-6. And there was a horrible slide at one point from A+ down to A- and I was stuck in A- for a while.

So I put Stealth Jump on my Corocoro set, saw that it worked very well in Turf Wars against fellow GAFers, and just went on a rampage form A-19 to S in a couple days. At one point I did squad with Blue from like A+40 to A+80 while using the Dynamo, but then in solo I got to A+96, lost, and tilted all the way back down to A+44. lol

So then I went back to Corocoro and went on a huge win streak in Mall/Dome Zones because fuck everything.

J@hranimo

Banned
iYwAyjA.jpg

Again, congrats! Glad comeback among the other abilities worked out for ya.

Lets form a team named Speed Test and only wear Run Speed Up gear.

That's a great idea lol.

Last night it was Rainmaker on Hammerhead Bridge and Arowana Mall. It was most fun.
Then it was Splat Zone on Mahi Mahi Resort and Urchin Underpass. I did not win a single match. My team had the lead for the majority of the match but we wound up losing in the last minute. Very frustrating.

ChrisD

Part of me feels it's too early and that there's plenty of life left in the game, the other part of me wants it so badly just because. :x

I'm super late to the party on this one, but I just got it (aiming to collect all good games for Wii U) and it is indeed a lot of fun. I usually never play multiplayer shooters, but this feels different, and I will be playing more of it.

-shadow-

I was just in a rainmaker match in blue fin depot and the opposing team won by swimming under the map. Didn't they patch that out?

I've never heard of this glitch, just checked it out. Can you get it out of there also later on or not? Because this absolutely needs too be fixed!

Edit:

Been playing for the first time in a while. Has the rewarding system been adjusted? I've seen people getting some ridiculous amounts of point after winning. That while with my regular weapons I've been receiving some ridiculous low scores. I used to easily reach 1300 point...

tsundoku

I've never heard of this glitch, just checked it out. Can you get it out of there also later on or not? Because this absolutely needs too be fixed!

Edit:

Been playing for the first time in a while. Has the rewarding system been adjusted? I've seen people getting some ridiculous amounts of point after winning. That while with my regular weapons I've been receiving some ridiculous low scores. I used to easily reach 1300 point...

the win bonus in turf war was changed to 1000 pts and every 30 wins you get nonconsectuively you can go talk to judd and get a free snail

the ink usage of a lot of the subweapons has been increased and the ink efficiency of the ink saver and ink recovery skills have been nerfed over time

and a lot of the more popular weapons now lose a more sizable chunk of their special meter on death

it all adds up to you likely painting less turf overall and getting less points.

Top Bottom