• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

MrGameBoy

After three Splatfests, would anyone else besides me prefer a new ruleset for subsequent Splatfests in a new patch/update? For something so festive, they're surprisingly more dull with the Turf War-only, three maps-only 24 hour period. Why not have the three maps and mode (Turf War, Splat Zones, Tower Control) rotate every two hours? And for normal play, why not rotate 3 maps every 2 hours instead of the 2 per 4 deal right now?

(I also wish popularity is not taken into account for Splatfest too. Still a little salty for the cats and hot dogs, hahaha.)

oni-link

Another EU player? Sums up the game for me as well. I think the patch did or maybe the PAL version has some messed up netcode for some reason (I'm thinking it might be mainly PAL users affected though most people don't post region when saying they have problem but those that have are all PAL).

I contacted NOE and they seem to think it is the server and to try again when it is less busy (typical dismissal from NOE though someone else who contacted them claimed it had been forwarded to head office)...which makes no sense considering the nature of the problem and who is affected (if it was the server it would be everyone rather than the same individuals over and over and also it would happen during the match making part when the server is actually doing something and not the peer to peer section).

For giggles I tried some games after the Splatfest (I'm not going to ruin my chances of getting snails form being on the winning side...which I did, yeah 4 snails) and all but two failed. So how did those games go: 3 v 4 and 1 v 4 (technically the failed games would 3v4 at the minimum but I obviously couldn't witness them). I've never had a 1 v 4 before so that gives me hope they have a real problem rather than a small problem they will ignore.

Yeah I'm an EU player

Do you guys use wired connections? My impression of the 2.0 update is that Splatoon now seems to disconnect people with bad connections rather than keeping lagging players as they did before. During the whole NoE Splatfest, I noticed only one lagging player (using a wired connection myself), and to me this Splatfest was great. The previous Splatfests were really annoying however, with all kinds of connection issues. This Splatfest only had some connection lost error when trying to connect to the other team in the lobby, but never during gameplay.

Wireless connection, the game was working fine for me before the update, and it works fine with online PS3 games, the router is only a few feet from the consoles as well

The game was perfectly playable before, sure there was some lag, but it wasn't bad enough or frequent enough that I'd have even mentioned it if you asked me how my experience with the game was

I feel like at 55 hours I have got good value for money, so while it will be annoying if they can't fix it, I will just move on to something else, but that will mean there are less players online, and I'm not going to ever buy any paid DLC if I can't play the game online, so really it's something they need to fix if possible

If they are just kicking people out who lag, it wouldn't be an EU only problem, would it? Also I feel like Nintendo would say something about it before they made a change that would basically make the game unplayable for a lot of players

I feel at times like I've reached a plateau with this game, and now the more I play, the worse and stupider I become at it and the more upset it makes me. Then again part of this might just be the continuation of weapon testing but I really hate getting consistently outplayed against randoms, regardless of what I'm using. Feels like I've only had one actually good game in the 90 minutes or so that I've played today and it's making me want to throw furniture over.

Well, at least I was able to somewhat confirm that last night's utter failure with the .96 was a fluke as much as anything, it felt better to use it in a couple of matches today but I'm really feeling like I might need to shop for a new main.
I think it's better to stick with a weapon for awhile. If you switch weapons too often, that can get disorienting since different weapon loadouts can require different strategies, despite any overlaps.

What problems are you having with the 96 gal? Keep in mind that it's probably better at killing than at covering ground. You will have to rely on your 96 gal a lot, since the sprinkler is more for covering terrain, and the echolocator is both a handy ink refilling option and a way to hunt enemies down with your 96 gal.

Finalow

I might come back and play this game some more considering the new stuff that arrived in this month.

any chance that the ps4 headset works with discord? I'm afraid that's the only one I have at the moment.

After three Splatfests, would anyone else besides me prefer a new ruleset for subsequent Splatfests in a new patch/update? For something so festive, they're surprisingly more dull with the Turf War-only, three maps-only 24 hour period. Why not have the three maps and mode (Turf War, Splat Zones, Tower Control) rotate every two hours? And for normal play, why not rotate 3 maps every 2 hours instead of the 2 per 4 deal right now?

Yeah, I really want Turf Wars to be dropped from the next one and have them use Splat Zones, Tower Control or Rainmaker (if it is out) instead. There needs to be more variety, especially since next Splatfest they'll have to start re-using maps again. Also stop using green and purple for EU splatfest, give us some more unique colours.

Geg

I don't think they'd do any of the ranked modes considering those are locked behind level 10. You'd have lots of people playing with literally no experience in those modes

Ahnez

Even with long range I don't think any team can keep a good 4x aerospray team down for very long cause those things ink turf like crazy.

Thing is, not everyone know how to use it.

The vast majority of aerospray players I faced simply don't know how to deal with its weakness (aka its range)

It IS hard to keep up with 4 high inking weapons, but when they try to use it for 1x1 combat, giving away their position long before they can hit you, it gets easy

My point is, if more players actually learn how to use it, the games can be more interesting

I don't think they'd do any of the ranked modes considering those are locked behind level 10. You'd have lots of people playing with literally no experience in those modes
To be fair the average player under level 10 doesn't have a clue how Turf Wars works either.

TrueBlue

Playable Octolings would be a most welcome addition, even if a mostly cosmetic one.

I wonder if they'll bring a new mode with them?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
kas... miss a couple times, say eff it jump on my head and kraken. not cool.

You-play-to-win-the-game.gif

It's a necessary counter to those annoying rollers. ;)

I'm setting a ranked squad match if anyone wants to join.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I feel like the Splattershot is useless in Splatzones especially on Arowana Mall.

We have one spot open in ranked squads if anyone wants to join.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They're unlikely to change Splatfest to rank mode seeing as Splatfest is locked off to under 10s and anyone can join in on a Splatfest.

So I'm probably a super slowpoke about this, but I just noticed that when someone is super jumping to a location the arrow on the marker drains to show how close they are getting to landing.

ChrisD

1707 on Urchin Underpass with the Splash-o-matic. I made a build that specializes in bombs.

Maaaany, many bombs. Special Charge up, Special Time up, and Extra Bomb Range. I wish I could get a roll in for less Special loss, but I'm not gonna' go down that road.

edit: Not watched the videos but I understand the playable Octolings only exist in girl form and while visible by other players in vs will appear in their plaza and softlock the game. Maybe Octolings are not quite ready to go (but they seem more so than they were before). Possibly another mode after rainmaker or just unused.

Do you guys use wired connections? My impression of the 2.0 update is that Splatoon now seems to disconnect people with bad connections rather than keeping lagging players as they did before. During the whole NoE Splatfest, I noticed only one lagging player (using a wired connection myself), and to me this Splatfest was great. The previous Splatfests were really annoying however, with all kinds of connection issues. This Splatfest only had some connection lost error when trying to connect to the other team in the lobby, but never during gameplay.
I am using wired. Yes, I've forwarded the ports and changed the DNS server to the google one like Nintendo suggested to no avail. If ADSL 3.5km away (by wire) from the exchange is considered a bad connection these days then Nintendo must be on another planet.

Yes, my upstream is a little bit on the slow side (less than half a megabit which is the fastest this ADSL line will go) which probably harms such a peer to peer intensive game but that is a theory and nothing more (the paint on the ground is about 2000 unique points with 3 states, there are 7 other player positions plus all the weapons being used).

Finally got out of that A- rut! Went on a winning streak with the Krak-on Roller and got to A. Hopefully I don't fall back down now, lmao. These last few matches were a blast.

Later, does anyone wanna set up a private room to play maps/modes match-ups you didn't play yet? I have yet to play Tower Control in over half the maps because it's always between the four I've played when I go and Tower Control is on.

Geg

Aw looks like Kas's connection is too unstable to continue? Still though good games Kas, Goya, Taparoo. I was hoping to keep playing until I reached A rank but we kept losing to the Japanese squads and in the end I'm only 12 points higher than when I started. I can't wait til Japan's next splatfest and I can play a ton of squad matches lol

Winning a knockout against that clan team of mostly S ranks was great though

MrGameBoy

When I look at the screenshot of the playable Octoling, I thinking that the "hair" might just be another hat, considering that the general body structure of an Octoling is similar to that of an Inkling. Not to mention, it's easier to read the direction of where a fellow (or foe) Inkling is heading on the GamePad map due to the arrow-like shape of a squid, so I doubt we'll be seeing the (harder to distinguish) octopus figure on said touch screen.

Top Bottom