• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Hackworth

Gimmie that Trislosher with the Seekers, Nintendo.
Also, gimmie a Splatfest that includes special modes in the rotation so the newbs get to learn to play them before they hit ranked.

jwillenn

After three Splatfests, would anyone else besides me prefer a new ruleset for subsequent Splatfests in a new patch/update? For something so festive, they're surprisingly more dull with the Turf War-only, three maps-only 24 hour period. Why not have the three maps and mode (Turf War, Splat Zones, Tower Control) rotate every two hours? And for normal play, why not rotate 3 maps every 2 hours instead of the 2 per 4 deal right now?

(I also wish popularity is not taken into account for Splatfest too. Still a little salty for the cats and hot dogs, hahaha.)

Event
-all maps and modes open
-randomized so expect a different mode/map every match
-squad bracelet (after a match, you can choose to put on a squad bracelet that will allow those you just teamed with to link up with you in case of a disconnection)
-2 new Splatfest songs for the other two modes (SZ and TC)

Team Making
-have players sign up for the Splatfest to occur one week following deadline for sign ups
-set "signed up" players to teams such that there is a great balance in numbers (should be even) and experience/skill formula that considers various factors from most recent play history
-allow players to vote for name with each team having two choices (cake or smoothie VS pie or milk shake)
-penalty for not reaching Defender, smallest reward for reaching Defender, significantly greater for reaching Champion, greatest (by far) for reaching King/Queen
-problem reduced significantly with one minor downside being that not all players would have the team name they voted for (majority will rule)

Score
-Turf AND K|D displayed at the end of results, not just K|D
-popularity no longer a factor
-live score board

ngower

Are any non-amazing players interested in forming a squad and playing for a while? I'm not bad, but I think I'm a step below most of the GAF crowd. I'd really love to get something going—still have yet to play with a squad.

phanphare

Banned
Are any non-amazing players interested in forming a squad and playing for a while? I'm not bad, but I think I'm a step below most of the GAF crowd. I'd really love to get something going—still have yet to play with a squad.

yeah I'm down to play for a bit, I'm B-

Regiruler

I feel that there needs to be more changes to the base gameplay during splatfest. Maybe have some of roulette spin at the one minute left mark: could have effects like everyone's super is forced active, ink reversal, or a form change pause (need to wait 3 seconds after going squid to return to humanoid, etc).

Should be a seperate mode during splatfest though.

MrPanic

So how does S rank work. I know you can't drop from S rank while playing squad battle, but can you enter S rank from a squad battle or will it cap at A+99?

I feel that there needs to be more changes to the base gameplay during splatfest. Maybe have some of roulette spin at the one minute left mark: could have effects like everyone's super is forced active, ink reversal, or a form change pause (need to wait 3 seconds after going squid to return to humanoid, etc).

Should be a seperate mode during splatfest though.

Man, something akin to Team Fortress' Halloween Mode would be sweet during Splatfests.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
That GAF vs GAF tho. Lol.

Are you talking about the BlakStatus, Totakeke, Zing one other vs. Saro, Crisium, Gregtis and I? We were on a roll and got our asses handed to us that match.

You start off bad and don't get good position in Splatzones you're screwed

MrGameBoy

Yeah, I really want Turf Wars to be dropped from the next one and have them use Splat Zones, Tower Control or Rainmaker (if it is out) instead. There needs to be more variety, especially since next Splatfest they'll have to start re-using maps again. Also stop using green and purple for EU splatfest, give us some more unique colours.
Oh yeah, forgot about Rainmaker. And yes, for European players, I agree there should be more colors. Why not some strange combinations exclusive to Splatfest (like yellow and white in Japan's most recent one)? (Though personally, I don't think white's particularly great for stages like Blackbelly Skatepark and Arowana Mall due to blending in with the whiter-portions of the maps.)

I don't think they'd do any of the ranked modes considering those are locked behind level 10. You'd have lots of people playing with literally no experience in those modes
Good point...though why not have the Splatfest version serve as a "preview" version, where player ranks are unaffected by wins/losses, but have experience points still earned for both traditional leveling and Splatfest? Traditional leveling mechanics also apply to Splatfest's.

Event
-squad bracelet (after a match, you can choose to put on a squad bracelet that will allow those you just teamed with to link up with you in case of a disconnection)
-2 new Splatfest songs for the other two modes (SZ and TC)
I like your bracelet idea, which is actually an improvement to looking up players in the most-recently-played-with queue prior to the August update. This minor Squad Battle-esque functionality would be truly appreciated. Also, don't forget to add another new song in the case of Rainmaker!

Team Making
-have players sign up for the Splatfest to occur one week following deadline for sign ups
-set "signed up" players to teams such that there is a great balance in numbers (should be even) and experience/skill formula that considers various factors from most recent play history
-allow players to vote for name with each team having two choices (cake or smoothie VS pie or milk shake)
-penalty for not reaching Defender, smallest reward for reaching Defender, significantly greater for reaching Champion, greatest (by far) for reaching King/Queen
-problem reduced significantly with one minor downside being that not all players would have the team name they voted for (majority will rule)
But what about the "unsigned" players? Also, your second proposed feature may be too complicated, especially when players sign-up at "the last minute"; will said feature be done by person or some specific algorithm? Not to mention, having increased penalties for lesser-than-Champion players might be a tad too harsh. Though I do like being able to choose which theme to represent your team.

Score
-Turf AND K|D displayed at the end of results, not just K|D
-popularity no longer a factor
-live score board
Yes, yes, and YES! As someone who stops playing upon reaching "King" status, I'd like to see the current standing between teams. May motivate me to play more, hehehe.

Figured out the solution to all our lag issues. We clearly just all need to get this:
qrxSnRK.png

ngower

Strange. Someone else feel free to host a room. I don't think I have any connection issues, but let's give it a whirl with someone else hosting.

Me too. My connection is 38 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up, 20ms first hop ping. Wii U is wired.

edit: I made a 4-player lobby.

@ngower

Are you in Discord as well?

Capra

I need that Splatling with point sensor and kraken. I absolutely love the base weapon but the ink wall sub has never had any appeal for me.

Is there a FAQ that explains the logic behind secondary abilities?

I see people having clothing items with the exact 3 same abilities. Is that the equal of 1 primary ability?

Heng

Is there a FAQ that explains the logic behind secondary abilities?

I see people having clothing items with the exact 3 same abilities. Is that the equal of 1 primary ability?
The small ones are called subs and it takes 3 to roughly equal 1 main perk. Some brand of clothing has a higher chance to gain certain perks and less of another. Other gear has equal chance of getting all types of perks, like Amiibo gears.

MouldyK

Dr. LilRobot ‏@DrLilRobot 18h18 hours ago
keep in mind the octoling update might not come for a while. they'll have to re-model the octoling so hats fit and boobs aren't too big.

...I didn't know there was a difference in boobage...? o_O

Top Bottom