• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ryechu

Alright I downloaded the discord app, but I need to go to my computer to sign up for an account apparently

Quad squad or twin? I set up a quad squad battle...

Discord is also just a web based app. I use my computer, personally.

EDIT: timeaisis is joining.

i feel like i just had the worst non-splatfest string of unranked teammates in ages

"shit... that guy just killed three members of their team, including the one guy holding us all away from the middle....... better try filling in some ink on the sides of the map. trying to walk into the center may make the disc shoot out of the wii u and decapitate me"

I've been having serious matchmaking issues since the update. I'll get to play 2-3 games then it'll sit there with less than 8 players, the counter constantly resetting back to 200 but never finding a match so I'm stuck there indefinitely until I hard-reset my console, since you can't quit from the lobby or even open the Wii U menu.

What is going on here?

jwillenn

But what about the "unsigned" players? Also, your second proposed feature may be too complicated, especially when players sign-up at "the last minute"; will said feature be done by person or some specific algorithm? Not to mention, having increased penalties for lesser-than-Champion players might be a tad too harsh. Though I do like being able to choose which theme to represent your team.

It would only be the last minute before the week of Team Name voting occurs. Players would a have a week for both phases.

Week 1 - Accept Splatfest Participation Agreement At Booth

Players who have signed up are now divided into two teams. Program looks at recent player history of all signed players for factors that could point to skill level/experience and makes division based on this. Those who do not sign up can play Customs or something.

Week 2 (Ending With 24hr Splatfest) - Vote For Your Team's Name
I'd rather eat ___ (Apple or Mango) - Team 1 is Team Mango
vs
I'd rather eat ___ (Banana or Kiwi) - Team 2 is Team Kiwi

This has a similar feel to how it goes down now. The key difference is that players are not choosing what team they want to be on according to a name. Instead each team votes on the name. As mentioned earlier, both teams would have two names to choose from. So there is a bit of the popularity element, but not one that would influence anything other than what the names of teams would be.

So far it's the best I could come up with for eliminating the team imbalance issue while retaining the fun of the pre Splatfest survey tradition.

I think I said the negative penalty only occurs if you fail to get Defender, which is level 3. So if you stop playing Splatfest within Level 2 (Fiend, I think), then you will lose something. It could be leveling down or maybe a crazy chunk of coins (possibly overdraft). But all of this would be made clear in the terms during Week 1 (Sign Ups). In fact, it kind of goes with the idea of Sign Ups. Without it, I wouldn't think Sign Ups are necessary, just an auto assignment (for balance) of all Splatoon players to teams before Splatfest. Frankly, I wouldn't mind penalties occurring at all levels less than Champion. This is another step to prevent free-loaders and, more importantly, an imbalance of participation between the teams as the event grows closer to closure.

But hey, maybe just throw the sign up idea out. Still have the auto division of the entire Splatoon base for the region prior to Splatfest and present the terms (penalties and all) at the point of voting for Team Name. Actually, I think that would be better. So yeah, forget "Week 1 - Sign Ups". lol!

I just started playing Splatoon for the first time today and I was wondering when am I able to add the splatoon amiibo(Im not on any level yet, just on the main page after I do the walkthrough)

I need to get into playing this, but I have such bad anxiety for online vs. where I have a team that relies on me, haha. The only games I've ever managed to do that in are Left 4 Dead and Kid Icarus: Uprising - the former I only ever did Co-op and not Versus, and the latter I was just really decent at so I never worried.

Also I was surprised that the thread title wasn't "squid" instead of "squad."

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I just started playing Splatoon for the first time today and I was wondering when am I able to add the splatoon amiibo(Im not on any level yet, just on the main page after I do the walkthrough)
There is an amiibo case on the bottom-right of the map; not sure if you can partake in the challenges if you haven't done single player though.

Crayolan

You can use the amiibo as soon as you get to the plaza after the tutorial. There's a big amiibo box in the bottom right corner of the plaza.

However to actually play the amiibo challenges you have to complete the single player level they are based on first.

You can use the amiibo as soon as you get to the plaza after the tutorial. There's a big amiibo box in the bottom right corner of the plaza.

However to actually play the amiibo challenges you have to complete the single player level they are based on first.

Great will try it out tomorrow!! Once I create the amiibo then I can name it, etc and then go into the challenge area and play some levels(And hopefully level up)

DaBoss

No it's not confirmed; I'm only basing this off of two times where three players on each side were the same rank, but one team had a player 1-2 ranks higher, and the other team had a player 1-2 ranks lower, and it ended by knockout, and the team with the lower ranked player still lost 12 points. Given that you'd expect that the points loss would be 10 since it's mostly equal, or maybe even 8 on a good day if the difference between the lowest and highest players was wide enough, the only reason I can think of for a harsher penalty would be the knockout.
Hmm, that would make sense. I guess I'll have to keep track of point gains/losses to see if this is true.

Ansatz

Burst bombs are overpowered because they change the direction of my crosshair. I was thinking I could just eat 1-2 bombs and kill the person who tried to splat bomb me to death, didn't quite pan out (we splat each other) because the first bomb threw my aim off.

WALKMAN04

Hmm, that would make sense. I guess I'll have to keep track of point gains/losses to see if this is true.
I think there hasn't been a knockout where I didn't lose 12 points no matter what ranks were, after update of course, so that might be it. Worth looking into at least.

je_ssi e

When Blackbelly was up during Splatfest and in rotation yesterday I was getting these weird frame drops or something. And, I swear I never noticed these before. One spot where I could always get it to happen is when I would head towards the right path from spawn. But, when walking in other areas it would pop up, too.

Could there have been something in the update that changed the map for me somehow?

I always noticed the Bomb Rush lag being the worst on this map, but I'm getting this even when there's just general inking going on.

I thought it was just me, but a friend was echoing the same thing.

I've looked up stuff on it now and it seems other people have experienced this, too. But, it's so strange.. I never had this problem before (at least... I don't recall it) and I have 100's of hours in the game now.

It was starting to make me sick yesterday, as the rotation just kept picking the map over and over again. I really loved playing this stage, but if this keeps up I'll hate seeing it pop up.

Looks like it's in rotation next for Turf Wars.
Curious as to what the map will bring tonight.

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Just got back from camping and I'm happy to know that marshmallows won without me doing anything xD 4 sea snails is ok for not playing in splatfest

Nah, west coast US.

GG indeed! I don't know if I should bother rerolling the hero stuff but I am tempted to.
edit: I do wish it had the same effects online like it does in single player with all the lights leaving a trail behind.
I know what you mean. I love the hero gear too but it's a gamble to re-roll lol.

I didn't realize you were GAF! Good games!

Oh, not so off, then. Canada. :p

Good games! Nice to meet another Gaffer :)

Vena

i feel like i just had the worst non-splatfest string of unranked teammates in ages

"shit... that guy just killed three members of their team, including the one guy holding us all away from the middle....... better try filling in some ink on the sides of the map. trying to walk into the center may make the disc shoot out of the wii u and decapitate me"

I can't stop laughing.

Alternatively you take out three of their guys, die to the 4th, be like "They can take care of one guy, it'll be okay".

It's never okay.

Naar

might as well ask during this time of day!

looking for people to play ranked in splatoon. I am rank A and lvl 25 and play a couple of hours in the morning, afternoon, and evening. Basically throughout the day, but a couple of hours each time then work

my time is GMT and i play very aggressively (i will continuously sacrifice (kill) myself just to keep the tower in our possession)

PM if you wanna add me :D

mo60

When Blackbelly was up during Splatfest and in rotation yesterday I was getting these weird frame drops or something. And, I swear I never noticed these before. One spot where I could always get it to happen is when I would head towards the right path from spawn. But, when walking in other areas it would pop up, too.

Could there have been something in the update that changed the map for me somehow?

I always noticed the Bomb Rush lag being the worst on this map, but I'm getting this even when there's just general inking going on.

I thought it was just me, but a friend was echoing the same thing.

I've looked up stuff on it now and it seems other people have experienced this, too. But, it's so strange.. I never had this problem before (at least... I don't recall it) and I have 100's of hours in the game now.

It was starting to make me sick yesterday, as the rotation just kept picking the map over and over again. I really loved playing this stage, but if this keeps up I'll hate seeing it pop up.

Looks like it's in rotation next for Turf Wars.
Curious as to what the map will bring tonight.

About half of the time I play that map I get a crazy amount of lag. The lag is pretty consistent on that map during a match when I do get lag. It appears then goes away and comes back later during the match to annoy me. I lost matches because of the lag on this map.I'm currently using a wireless connection and will be switching to a wired connection soon.I do hope a wired connection fixes the lag on that map.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wish I wasn't so bad at this game.

Also you all have no idea how salty I am at getting into this game late and not being able to find the amiibo 3pack anywhere that's not price gouged

Probably the only thing sadder are aerosprays that think they're snipers. Stop blocking my squelcher you douche.

I hate, hate when I'm playing with randoms who think they best thing they can do is take my spot and block all my sniper shots. And then we die, because they wouldn't let me take the opponent out before they got too close.

Like, just

mCXFObx.gif

LostAnkh

It kinda feels like one, minus the big difference in fire rate compared to the Aerospray.

I love it, I beat out several players who have the Aerospray.

Aww you left blue silver? D:

It feels like you didn't catch my edit. Yeah, I was only gonna play for about half an hour in the first place, and I was playing fairly bad, sooo... =P

GGs though, to you and Kasumi. =D

It kinda feels like one, minus the big difference in fire rate compared to the Aerospray.

I love it, I beat out several players who have the Aerospray.

Aerospray is overrated, like the guy above me said. If anything, the weapon class that most people are vocal about is actually the Blaster types. They freak out at the OHKO potential and that AoE damage. I personally don't care. Another is the Dynamo Roller, but you don't hear about it much here anymore. Recently, there's been some Slosher annoyance, mostly by me, but still. It's the static damage at every range that irks me a bit, but otherwise it's okay to deal with. It is what it is.

Mellopillow

Neo Member
Don't think so.

gg's robotguy, vert, bluesilver, and anybody else that played haha. Was fun! That was my first time playing the splattershot jr, and I don't even think it's good in those stages, but I wanted to play something new with disrupters xD lol see ya guys

Looking at a few builds for the gatling gun is driving me nuts. I want to have ink saver sub for the wall but I feel like i should use ink recovery up instead but my best one right now has special charge up and I don't know how often i'd be firing off rockets.

Top Bottom