• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Geg

I just played my first non-squad ranked match in like a month and it was one of the fastest knockout victories on Saltspray I've ever played. I had the best K/D on my team to boot. Thanks gaf for making me such a better player.

I just played my first non-squad ranked match in like a month and it was one of the fastest knockout victories on Saltspray I've ever played. I had the best K/D on my team to boot. Thanks gaf for making me such a better player.

I'm terrified of trying this and risking my shiny new A+, haha.

DaBoss

so what's this drama in the twitch chat
36-PJSalt.png
36-PJSalt.png
36-PJSalt.png
36-PJSalt.png

Game 1 had Roboyguy disconnect and GAF team lost, so they replayed that game (the rules state that you replay a games if there is a DC for the first time and they didn't object). GAF team wins the replayed match. GAF team wins Game 2. Other team wins Game 3. GAF Team wins Game 4. Now they want to play another game because GAF team's wins shouldn't count for reasons.

And then one of the team members comes into BlakStatus's stream chat and says "cant' wait to catch u slipping in pubs". Like really.

Jims

Wait a minute, GAF team won 3-1, managed to win another game with a disconnect, and the other team thinks they have a legitimate argument? That's dumb.

Even if (for some insane reason) they gave the disconnect to the other team, they still lose 2-3.

RedFyn

Wait a minute, GAF team won 3-1, managed to win another game with a disconnect, and the other team thinks they have a legitimate argument? That's dumb.

Even if (for some insane reason) they gave the disconnect to the other team, they still lose 2-3.
They lost the disconnect game. The other team said that he dcd at the end so the loss should still count. In which case the end score was 3-2

Violet_0

Banned
36-PJSalt.png
36-PJSalt.png
36-PJSalt.png
36-PJSalt.png

Game 1 had Roboyguy disconnect, so they replayed that game (the rules state that you replay a games if there is a DC for the first time and they didn't object). GAF team wins the replayed match. GAF team wins Game 2. Other team wins Game 3. GAF Team wins Game 4. Now they want to play another game because GAF team's wins shouldn't count for reasons.

And then one of the team members comes into BlakStatus's stream chat and says "cant' wait to catch u slipping in pubs". Like really.
right, so basically they are just salty

that disconnect rule seems kinda easy to abuse though. They probably should rethink it for the next tournament

Jims

They lost the disconnect game. The other team said that he dcd at the end so the loss should still count. In which case the end score was 3-2

Oh. What a weird argument, though, with 3 legitimate losses.

(I'm guessing the other team was all on Team Cat too.)

WorldStar

Banned
Whats the best main ability for shoes for a roller/bucket user? (I'm assuming it would be the same for both given that they both have similar play styles)

Edit: for ranked that is

Totakeke

I agree with the DC rule being problematic. But other than that I don't see any other rationale they can come up with resetting the bracket or invalidating one of our wins.

Assume the first game on Blackbelly Skatepark counts as a legit loss for us. Then the second game (due to the DC) is played again on Blackbelly Skatepark, which they should have no argument against because why would they be against replaying the same map they already won. Then everything else plays out as normal because they chose the third map which we won, then they chose the fourth map which we lost, then we chose the fifth map which we won. So 3-2 at most. From what I heard they're trying to argue for 2-1 (how?) and even resetting the bracket (what.).

Funny thing this popped up in the plaza after the game.

CSHEDVB.jpg

Burnburn

The fuck does "slipping in pub" even mean. He hopes he catches you as you slip over a puddle of water in the pub? That's actually a very nice thing of him to say!

Dealing with this was anything but fun. Ggs to my team though <3. You guys had me on the edge the entire match, I was even more nervous than when I played myself(which was already very nervous). Those comebacks, you think my heart can handle those clutch comebacks?

Crisium

Whats the best main ability for shoes for a roller/bucket user? (I'm assuming it would be the same for both given that they both have similar play styles)

Ink Resistance. It's not the type of weapon that benefits from a 3rd Strength Up Main or Stealth Jump (since it can't OHKO). So Ink Resistance wins.

Haven't see a single pair of shoes in the shop with this ability :(

Run around the lobby until you find someone to order it from via Spyke?

WorldStar

Banned
Ink Resistance. It's not the type of weapon that benefits from a 3rd Strength Up Main or Stealth Jump (since it can't OHKO). So Ink Resistance wins.

What shoes have this as a main? Might search inkpolis plaza for a player that has them then place an order

Robotguy

I don't mind them replaying a DC but I think it should only happen if the team that dcs is winning when it occurs.
Dunno about that Red, the comebacks in this set were real.
Edit: Granted I don't think the current DC rules are necessarily ideal, but I don't know what I would do instead of them.

What shoes have this as a main? Might search inkpolis plaza for a player that has them then place an order
I like using this guide as a reference for gear. It's nicely organized and has pictures!

http://squidboards.com/guides/gear-ability-quick-reference-guide-v1-0-1-image-heavy.55/

I don't think it's been updated with the new gear from v2.0, but there're at least 3 shoes that have ink resistance:
Neon Sea Slugs
Red Hi-Tops
Blue Moto Boots

Jims

I found a series of videos about Splat Zones by that FiveLeafClover streamer. I think he's in the same group as ThatSRBDude. It's about a month old but it's pretty interesting. He has a lot of hot takes hating on Krak-On Rollers and Blasters, but he talks a lot about general strategy and stuff.

Part 4 is about "Superjumping and Other Bad Ideas". He prescribes that the actual strategic value of superjumping is really really small and should be done in really rare circumstances. He argues that jumping to a teammate deep in enemy territory (or in general) tips off the other team to where your stealthy teammate is, and the double-firepower isn't worth the information cost. Also, Stealth Jump is actually a hindrance ability than an advantage.

I kind of agree with his stance but am not sure if that's too narrow a viewpoint about it. I've had instances where a base infiltration is stymied by suddenly having to babysit a superjump... But on the other hand, if the jumper can quickly get away from you and setup a flank, then it is obviously worth it. Super-jumping seems more like a high variance play than anything.

RedFyn

Dunno about that Red, the comebacks in this set were real.
Right but the issue is that the losing team can DC and gets another chance. The rules don't have any restrictions on dcs so if the other team has one point on the clock and you DC the rules as they are require the game to be replayed. Regardless of whether it affected the outcome or not.

Crisium

How often does the lobby update with new players that I can order from? Should I just keep playing one match, quit, search for items, then repeat if I don't find it?

I'm not sure tbh. But it's a popular ability so you will find one quickly and right away I'm sure.

How often does the lobby update with new players that I can order from? Should I just keep playing one match, quit, search for items, then repeat if I don't find it?
Every time you finish a match (dunno how it counts if you disconnect), your plaza will be populated with the players that were in your last match. If you happen to notice any players with gear that you want during the game, you can go back to the plaza, find the player, and order his/her gear via Spyke.

What is splash mob?
It's a clothing brand in the Splatoon world. Mechanics wise, different brands have higher chances of rolling certain sub abilities and lower chances of rolling other sub abilities.

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Splash_Mob

Totakeke

Also just wanted to say the other team played well, better than my expectations, and their charger was pretty good. So there's that at least. Didn't need all the exciting comebacks, but the games were good and fun. Definitely think the GAF should set up more dedicated teams for tournaments next time since I'd love to see more of you play competitively. It hasn't been easy to practice with most of us having different schedules. Also it sucked that Crisium started having voice chat issues just before the round.

Top Bottom